Mains Cables R Us. Temple Audio  Cranage Hifi Show

Thread: bakeoffs?

Wammer

Post imported post

Bake offs - hmmm....nice idea in theory, not so good in practice as I wouldn't fancy unplugging my gear, chucking it in the car and taking it to someone else's house...isn't it a better idea - a la The Riders (cf Naim Forum ;)) to each check out each other's systems with a collection of fav tracks and then write reviews based on what has been heard?

If anyone - particularly Naim sceptics - fancies popping round mine in Highgate North London with some tracks and to listen to a "one rung up the naim ladder" sistem I'm up for it :dude:

I'll supply food and beer (or rather my missus will) or we can hit one of the many pubs around here
    Naim, Rega, B&W

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     TEAC VRDS
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     CA DAC Magic
    Speakers
     AE and Meadowlark
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Bladelius (Advantage
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Woody, I would love to take you up onm that offer., Shall I move this to the bake off thread?
    It's almost a bake off after all.

Bake off's are great fun though. You get to experement and geek out. You also get to listen to different buts of kit actaully IN your own system, in your own room, without a dealer pressurising you etc.. plus a curry and a couple of pints with forum folk too.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Very antisocial, a typical Naim user

sneeky bugger edited it while I wasn't looking, maybe it isn't so antisocial.

Bakeoffs still sound like more fun though

Post imported post

Woody, it's more a social thing, it's good to listen to the kit of others, but it's also good to see what another component does in your system, if you don't fancy throwing stuff in the car, then host one, lotta guys down your way would be up for it, and it's a nice day.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

What's the point of hi-fi if you can't swap boxes around and try different mains leads/cables/valves etc? Or grin with envy at other peoples more expensive system or chuckle inwardly with glee knowing that your kit is the coolest?!

He he... but seriously, I do take your point. I think you do learn to listen to other peoples sound or personal taste in presentation. I've also been to Supercapman's place more than a few times now just to listen to new CDs and hear his new kit. But the temptation to swap valves and/or cables always get the better of us...

JJ

Post imported post

wooders if I'm ever in YNOW i'll take ye up on that, but more for a chinwag and some choons.

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Bake offs are cool , having all that different kit in your room makes me feel like a child again in a sweet shop .Seriously though, I have made some good friends from just a couple of bake offs and it's always interesting to hear other peoples opinions on your kit (good or bad). It makes it easier to assess wether certain pieces of kit are worth the extra outlay.

SCM

Wammer

Post imported post

would be great to see you AK - particularly if I've chosen and got my new speakers ;)!
    Naim, Rega, B&W

Post imported post

reasonably often I'm in the smoke on business, but usually not time to wipe my arse, never mind taxying accross to the other side of london, usually fly, although had the chance to spend a friday night but in 3 weeks but never thought to arrange something with one of you London guys, maybe next time.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I understand woody's pov, and with naim kit its not quite as easy to plug things in and out. The newer kit has phonos so switching sources isnt such a drama, but pre/power switching is really a no go area... Generally there isnt that much cable changing either for Naim owners.

All that said forum members ever in my neck of hertfordshire are always welcome to listen, mock or be suprised by my pile of black/green boxes ;)

Cheers

Hawk

Real Name
     Stuart
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyro SE
    Digital Source 1
     Yamaha CD-S2000
    Integrated Amp
     Plinius Pre/Power
    Speakers
     ProAc
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I tend to agree with woody as I don't fancy the hassle of moving my turntable, but with amps and CD players its not too much hassle to unpug and transport.

I would welcome people to come and have a listen to my system, and to get some feedback on how it sounds.
    Just coz you got the power... that don't mean you got the right.

Winchburgh,West Lothian, , United Kingdom
    Real Name
     chris
    Digital Source 1
     Moon 360DX
    Speakers
     Art Emotion
    Pre Amp
     Moon 350P
    Power Amp
     Moon 400M
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Would agree with woody and classic fan does seem to be a load off hassel.

Especially if you have to do an emergency stopand see your pride and joy fly past you and exit through the windscreen.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

box it up and put it in the boot then
    You go for a walk in the park one day and wheelchair ninjas, Nazis, and pots and pans robots show up to kill you. And dinosaurs show up to eat the remains. You\'ve seen the news...?

Effem

Post imported post

Wimps.

Been to two bakeoffs now and took the whole system with me. Mind you the first time my power amp and speakers got scratched, the second time though I boxed everything up properly and nothing got damaged;)

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Tag McLaren DAC20
    Integrated Amp
     Densen / Bel Canto
    Speakers
     MeadowlarkShearwater
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Effem wrote:
    Wimps.
    Indeed. If the thought of disconnnecting one or two components in your system is too much for you then you clearly need a new hobby ;)

I can see where Woody's coming from, but usually at a bake off everyone has a good listen to the host's system first, and then the box swapping starts, so I don't see why it needs to be an either or really? I've certainly learned useful things about parts of my system hearing them in direct comparison to others at bake-offs, plus of course they're great from a social point of view .

In the trade Wammer audioorigami's Avatar
    Real Name
     j7
    Turn Table
     pu7 arm
    Digital Source 1
     none
    Integrated Amp
     valve and stuff
    Speakers
     yams and emotions
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

woody wrote:

I'll supply food and beer (or rather my missus will) or we can hit one of the many pubs around here

any chance i could get full board for a week?...lol

only joking...

best wishes

j7