Marantz CD6003
    Integrated Amp
     Audiolab 8000S
    Speakers
     Mission 751
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Looking back at a few review threads, they seem to echo a feeling that for some speakers, provided you’ve got an amp that can drive them adequately, the choice of CD player is pretty much irrelevant.

Dynaudios seem to be a case in point:
    - Solid’s written something in his blog to this effect regarding the Focus 110s.
    - MIB has commented that when he tested the Cyrus6, 8 and 8+PSX CDPs, there was no discernible difference, and that his cheapo Pioneer DVD was as good as any of them (I’m presuming this was all with the 1.8s).
    - A comparison of Contours vs Audiovectors using Copland and Cyrus CDPs showed that with AVs, the Copland was significantly better, but through the Dyns there was nothing in it.

I feel the same about my speakers to a degree, because there isn’t a big difference between my CDP and a much cheaper DVD. Likewise, it’s pretty indifferent to interconnects that I’ve tried. I put it down to the speakers being really warm, and therefore not that revealing. Although the Dyns are probably more neutral, I guess the bass still gives them an overall feel of being tonally on the warm side.

Possibly it’s the same for all speakers on the warm side. There have been a number of threads questioning which component is most important, and I’m reckoning that on the whole, those with a preference for the higher transparency speakers will go with the “source first” philosophy (since they can hear the differences more obviously), whilst those with a preference for lusher speakers stick with final element.

Maybe the motto of all this “go for warm speakers and you can save a fortune on the source”?
    Or maybe it’s “you’ve got to buy the highest resolution speakers possible so as to appreciate what’s on the CD”?

Is there anything in all this or I am I writing complete bollocks (I’m anticipating Duvet coming along and telling me not to worry about it, but just to turn the volume up and have a glass of wine…)

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/ Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

The Pioneer/Cyrus source comparison was with Audience 52SE's, and Cyrus amplification which didn't really suit them.

With the Rotel amps and the 1.8's, source differences are more obvious. Wires still sound the same.... ;)

Some speakers (eg Focal) will sound gruesome regardless of source or amplification, so they present a good cost-saving opportunity.

Real Name
     Sheva
    Turn Table
     Project Debut III
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD6003
    Integrated Amp
     Audiolab 8000S
    Speakers
     Mission 751
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

meninblack wrote:
    The Pioneer/Cyrus source comparison was with Audience 52SE's, and Cyrus amplification which didn't really suit them.

With the Rotel amps and the 1.8's, source differences are more obvious. Wires still sound the same.... ;)

Some speakers (eg Focal) will sound gruesome regardless of source or amplification, so they present a good cost-saving opportunity.
    I always thought the Dyn Cyrus combo wasa good-un (based on what i've heard with110s). Maybe the 52SEs with bigger woofers are just that much more difficult to drive, or maybe you just like turning up the volume to 11 (), i guess the Cyrus may not appreciate the load in that case.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/ Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Sheva wrote:
    I always thought the Dyn Cyrus combo wasa good-un (based on what i've heard with110s).
    I thought so too until I heard the Rotels with them. ;) All of a sudden the Cyrus sounded kind of dead and muffled - there was no going back!

Post imported post

Heard an Asda dvd player through a big Yamaha av amp driving Jamo foorstanders at a new year thing last week.......wasnt getting on anyones tits BTW ,linnies,a Moon fan and a few Cyrus and Rega fans at the party as well,only good whisky being drunk as well...............
    Cake and Vodka, not the answer.