Audio Emotion Evolution Audio Epiphany Acoustics 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
     Nov 2007
    Posts
     20
    Location
     Kilmarnock, , United Kingdom

    Post imported post

    Hi,

    Looking for advice on what would be the best bet for a speaker cable upgrade (that aint £30 a metre!!)and should I biwire the speakers or use a set of jumper cables



    Cheers!!

  2. #2
    Super Wammer dudywoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     6,432
    Location
     sunny scunny
    Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    van damme pro studio grade, use bits for jumpers.
    This stuff, you may find it cheaper if you shop around
    http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/v545060.html

    Music is an outburst of the soul

  3. #3
    Deaf Wammer Tel's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2006
    Posts
     25,943
    Location
     Hove Actually
    Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Upgrade from what?

    Don't bother bi-wiring though.
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
     Nov 2007
    Posts
     20
    Location
     Kilmarnock, , United Kingdom

    Post imported post

    Sorry, Chord Co Rumour 2 cable at the moment (each cable around 3 mtrs). Also, is it worth throwing oodles of wedge on fancybanana plugs, stick with a twist or go with a terminal

  5. #5
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Dec 2007
    Posts
     450
    Location
     deepest darkest derbyshire, ,

    Post imported post

    dudywoxer wrote:
    van damme pro studio grade, use bits for jumpers.
    This stuff, you may find it cheaper if you shop around
    http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/v545060.html
    just bought some of this and made jumpers from a short length,excellent improvement.

    cost imho,means nothing where cables are concerned.

    my other recommendation if you want a branded cable is Nva ls1.

    both of these cables have a neutral balance,as a rule of thumb with these cables,the thicker the more bass weight the trade off being the treble may be a little more recessed.

    i use van damme 2.5 mm

    i think the nva ls1 is 7 strand ls3,14 and ls5,21
    If it aint life threatening dont f-in worry about it !!!!!

  6. #6
    Super Wammer dudywoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     6,432
    Location
     sunny scunny
    Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    I changed from Chord to Van Damme, easier to route, as in bends easier, and thats at 4mm sq. Any change in sound, I think so, but I assume thats simply because of the extra thickness of copper. The main reason I changed was cost, I need 2 x 11m runs and I refuse to pay stupid amounts of money for rebranded copper cable, covered in posh wrappers. And the Van Damme is a nice shade of blue, clashes very well with most things.
    Music is an outburst of the soul

  7. #7
    Baron Von Hunchfront bandit pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2007
    Posts
     7,830
    Location
     North Nott's
    Real Name
     Rick
    Turn Table
     401/1210
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/ Rega
    SUT/Phono
     Graaf GM70/Edwards
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester 006
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer pds703
    DAC
     AS DAX Decade
    Integrated Amp
     Gamma ref211/Kraken
    Speakers
     Impulse H2
    Pre Amp
     Graaf GM13.5B
    Power Amp
     Usher R1.5
    Headphones
     Senn HD600/Slee Novo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    why not have a chat with this fella.

    http://www.the-missing-link.net/index.htm

    they do free home trials on a buy it if you like it basis. send it back if you dont.

    they also do kit form stuff (some of which i have) and have to say that for the money they are excellent.
    Slayer of Lizard Overlords!

  8. #8
    Deaf Wammer Tel's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2006
    Posts
     25,943
    Location
     Hove Actually
    Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    bandit pilot wrote:
    why not have a chat with this fella.

    http://www.the-missing-link.net/index.htm

    they do free home trials on a buy it if you like it basis. send it back if you dont.

    they also do kit form stuff (some of which i have) and have to say that for the money they are excellent.
    I just looked at this site, they don't seem to do speaker cables or am I looking in the wrong place?
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

  9. #9
    Super Wammer
    Join Date
     Jun 2007
    Posts
     383
    Location
     France
    Real Name
     Jean-Baptiste
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2001
    Digital Source 1
     Audio Analogue
    Speakers
     Amphion
    Pre Amp
     Brinkmann
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    As mentionned in another post, the best way to do it is get some unterminated cable and use the final inch to go through your binding posts. Remember, the best connector is no connector at all, and the best jumper is no jumper at all. You could spend hundreds on platinum WBTs, Siltech jumpers or rhinoceros horn, they will still be in the way of the signal.
    Spend the money on the cables and as Tel commends, don't bother bi-wiring.
    JB

  10. #10
    Baron Von Hunchfront bandit pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2007
    Posts
     7,830
    Location
     North Nott's
    Real Name
     Rick
    Turn Table
     401/1210
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/ Rega
    SUT/Phono
     Graaf GM70/Edwards
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester 006
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer pds703
    DAC
     AS DAX Decade
    Integrated Amp
     Gamma ref211/Kraken
    Speakers
     Impulse H2
    Pre Amp
     Graaf GM13.5B
    Power Amp
     Usher R1.5
    Headphones
     Senn HD600/Slee Novo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Tel wrote:
    bandit pilot wrote:
    why not have a chat with this fella.

    http://www.the-missing-link.net/index.htm

    they do free home trials on a buy it if you like it basis. send it back if you dont.

    they also do kit form stuff (some of which i have) and have to say that for the money they are excellent.
    I just looked at this site, they don't seem to do speaker cables or am I looking in the wrong place?
    well i dont know what to say about that tel. just had a look myself and i cant see it either?. he certainly used to do speaker cables as i owned some of them for quite a while and they were very good indeed. might still be worth ringing to find out, a really nice bloke to talk to and a free no stringshome trial. i cant think of another cable manufacturer that offers such a service. i might be wrong though.
    Slayer of Lizard Overlords!

  11. #11
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Dec 2005
    Posts
     1,648
    Location
     Bahrain, , Bahrain

    Post imported post

    follow the link for interconnects and then scroll right down the page! I found em ok and I'm a non-believer!

    Cheers

    Dave

  12. #12
    Baron Von Hunchfront bandit pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2007
    Posts
     7,830
    Location
     North Nott's
    Real Name
     Rick
    Turn Table
     401/1210
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/ Rega
    SUT/Phono
     Graaf GM70/Edwards
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester 006
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer pds703
    DAC
     AS DAX Decade
    Integrated Amp
     Gamma ref211/Kraken
    Speakers
     Impulse H2
    Pre Amp
     Graaf GM13.5B
    Power Amp
     Usher R1.5
    Headphones
     Senn HD600/Slee Novo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    DB wrote:
    follow the link for interconnects and then scroll right down the page! I found em ok and I'm a non-believer!

    Cheers

    Dave
    so it is dave. bloody strange place to put your most expensive product though!
    Slayer of Lizard Overlords!

  13. #13
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Dec 2005
    Posts
     1,648
    Location
     Bahrain, , Bahrain

    Post imported post

    Well that's cable believers for you ! :green:



    Cheers

    Dave

  14. #14
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Dec 2007
    Posts
     450
    Location
     deepest darkest derbyshire, ,

    Post imported post

    bandit pilot wrote:
    Tel wrote:
    bandit pilot wrote:
    why not have a chat with this fella.

    http://www.the-missing-link.net/index.htm

    they do free home trials on a buy it if you like it basis. send it back if you dont.

    they also do kit form stuff (some of which i have) and have to say that for the money they are excellent.
    I just looked at this site, they don't seem to do speaker cables or am I looking in the wrong place?
    well i dont know what to say about that tel. just had a look myself and i cant see it either?. he certainly used to do speaker cables as i owned some of them for quite a while and they were very good indeed. might still be worth ringing to find out, a really nice bloke to talk to and a free no stringshome trial. i cant think of another cable manufacturer that offers such a service. i might be wrong though.
    Nva do a free home trial 2wks iirc
    If it aint life threatening dont f-in worry about it !!!!!

  15. #15
    Baron Von Hunchfront bandit pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2007
    Posts
     7,830
    Location
     North Nott's
    Real Name
     Rick
    Turn Table
     401/1210
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/ Rega
    SUT/Phono
     Graaf GM70/Edwards
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester 006
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer pds703
    DAC
     AS DAX Decade
    Integrated Amp
     Gamma ref211/Kraken
    Speakers
     Impulse H2
    Pre Amp
     Graaf GM13.5B
    Power Amp
     Usher R1.5
    Headphones
     Senn HD600/Slee Novo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    retro wrote:
    bandit pilot wrote:
    Tel wrote:
    bandit pilot wrote:
    why not have a chat with this fella.

    http://www.the-missing-link.net/index.htm

    they do free home trials on a buy it if you like it basis. send it back if you dont.

    they also do kit form stuff (some of which i have) and have to say that for the money they are excellent.
    I just looked at this site, they don't seem to do speaker cables or am I looking in the wrong place?
    well i dont know what to say about that tel. just had a look myself and i cant see it either?. he certainly used to do speaker cables as i owned some of them for quite a while and they were very good indeed. might still be worth ringing to find out, a really nice bloke to talk to and a free no stringshome trial. i cant think of another cable manufacturer that offers such a service. i might be wrong though.
    Nva do a free home trial 2wks iirc
    that doesnt surprise me. another cottage industry manufacturer that ive had some very nice equipment from, mine was the first gen early 90's stuff though.

    anybody want to know what soundpipe is and where to get it;)(by pm of course)
    Slayer of Lizard Overlords!

  16. #16
    Super Dooper Wammer johnniebaby's Avatar
    Join Date
     Nov 2006
    Posts
     17,765
    Location
     Worcester.
    Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Little Pink Thing
    T/Arm & Cart
     Orion Aurelius/1042
    SUT/Phono
     Kinshaw Perception
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Ming Da 18 watt SET
    Speakers
     Impulse H6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post


    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different to yours.............................

  17. #17
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Apr 2007
    Posts
     55
    Location
     Sunny Hampshire, , United Kingdom

    Post imported post



    Hi there,

    I use this stuff as I couldn't get away with the Van Damme Blue cable running all over the place - it really does clash with everything.....

    This may or may not have more appealing looks, but it appears to have a slightly "better" quality of construction and material (copper) than the Blue Studio series.

    I'm happy anyway.

    http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/V502000.html

    I brought a drum of it from here - works out cheaper than theBlue Studio per metre, and if you don't need it all you shouldeasily be able to sell on the leftovers and get the balance of your money back.

    http://www.letsautomate.com/10986.cf...7-d522664a3c01

    Should have plenty spare to make upsome jumpers with!!

    cheers,

    Dave.
    As I step over the still twitching corpses of the Cheeky Girls, I realise I\'ve only one bullet left.....and both Chas AND Dave are still standing....

  18. #18
    Inveterate Box-Swapper smegger68's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jan 2006
    Posts
     2,221
    Location
     Bridgend
    Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     STD 305S / Spacedeck
    T/Arm & Cart
     LAD/Decca/Tarm/Excel
    SUT/Phono
     Lentek / Croft RIAA
    Digital Source 1
     Micromega Minium CD
    Digital Source 2
     HTPC
    DAC
     Theta DS Pro Prime
    Speakers
     SD Acoustics SD-5
    Pre Amp
     Ming Da MC-7R
    Power Amp
     Audion / Shearne
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Another vote for NVA cables here - I recently changed my Exposure speaker cable for NVA LS2 which is really cheap at the moment as they are clearing old stocks - I paid £18 for a nicely terminated 3 meter pair!


    It has brought about an improvement in clarity in my sound, especially in the midband and on vocals. The bass is also better controlled. The more expensive variants are supposed to be even better and you can part ex your old cables for the better ones for exactly what you paid for them! Cant be bad
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

  19. #19
    Super Dooper Wammer hifinutt's Avatar
    Join Date
     Dec 2007
    Posts
     4,504
    Location
     midlands , , United
    Real Name
     phil
    Turn Table
     nil
    Digital Source 1
     msb cd4
    Digital Source 2
     bel canto fm 1
    DAC
     bel canto 3.5 vbrs
    Speakers
     ml summit x
    Pre Amp
     audionote m-one
    Power Amp
     MSB S200
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    if you like rumour, why don`t you move up to oddysey as there is loads about s/h and sounds superb [imho]


    You might slip, you might slide, You might stumble and fall by the roadside, But don't ever let nobody drag your spirit down, Remember you're walking up to heaven
    Don't let nobody turn you 'round, eric bibb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •