Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

And I forgot, Skin Chamber and Controlled Bleeding - that's it I'm going home early and annoy the neighbours with loud, tuneless, music for the night

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

griffo104 wrote:
    Testure

Hate to be a picky sod here but 'Beers, Steers and Queers' was by Ministry offshoot Revolting Cocks and not under the Ministry banner. Well worth digging the album out though as it's well worth a listen.

1000 homo DJs - the only thing I have here is the EP Supernaut. Other Ministry offshoots worth looking out for is Lard (with Jello biafra on vocals), Pailhead (with Ian Mckaye (god) on vocals. If you want Ministry then The Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste is still their finest moment, imo.

Pigface - never really got in these and only got Welcome to Mexico, Asshole. Two Pigface tracks are on one of the Nine Inch Nails EPs (Fixed I think hidden away on track 97 and 98).

Skinny Puppy - got shedloads of this stuff, earlier stuff was more keyboards, later stuff has more guitars and more openly politcial, just got their Live DVD - quality.

Godflesh - Came out of the ashes of Napalm Death (original line-up) and Fall Of Because. Still think Streetcleaner is one of the finest headfuck of an album ever. Searing guitar, heavy bass and a drum machine. Got pretty much all of their stuff - also look out for Songs of Love and Hate (in dub) - excellent dub version of the Love and Hate album. Justin Broaderick - main guy in Godlfesh - has I think ditched the band now and has a new project called Jesu out - very similar to Godflesh but with the drummer from Prong on Drums.

Broaderick also appears on the early Scorn album Vae Solis, which reunited the 3 original members of Napalm Death doing some ambient, industrial type stuff. Also worth checking out is Techno Animal which Broaderick did with Kevin Martin (who used to be in industrial Jazz group God - check out Possession by these if this grabs your interest).

Loads of Neubauten - last album is their best in ages, imo.

Also need to check out early Swans who were one of the early guitar based industrial bands.

Also look out for Young Gods and Swamp Terrorists. The first 2 ST albums are particulary fine.

Test Dept - try and get Pax Britanica - good place to start.

I'll have to hunt some more of these albums out when I get back home - I've suddenly gone all nostalgic and feel 18 again.
    Griffo 104,picky sod you maybe :lmao:but your damn right about Beers Steers and Queers, long day on Friday forgot about Revolting Cocks .

I see your more of a guitar man then me, always preferred more keyboards than guitars (never into thrash, metal etc). Got only 1 pigface album - Fook, but preferred Beers Steers..... Agree with The Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste , but never actually got round to owning it.

Been a puppy fan for ages, though was a bit disappointed with ''The Greater Wrong Of the Right" when they reformed in 2003. Is the DVD any good? usually find with music vids/dvds you watch it once or twice and then it gathers dust on the shelf.

Have you listened toany oftheir offshoot projects: Download, Doubting Thomas, Plateau etc

Heard any Laibach, Klinik, Wumpscut??

Cheers Testy

clean gloves hide dirty hands

Wammer

Post imported post

excellent thread here, good to see Godflesh recommended.

If anyone's interested in dipping their toe into these contaminated waters, look for a compilation called 'Terror: An Industrial Metal Compilation', has the following:

- Die Krupps
    - Godflesh
    - Ministry
    - Treponem Pal
    - Einstürzende Neubauten
    - Swamp Terrorists
    - Consolidated
    - Killing Joke
    - Scorn
    - Excessive Force
    - Chrome
    - Prong
    - Skrew
    - KMFDM
    - Wiseblood

Chrome's '3rd from the Sun' is worth the entry price alone.

Enter the church, feel the death,
    Hear the lawnmower on Satan\'s breath

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Blimey am I enjoying this thread.

Testure - Apologies for being a picky sod In my opinion Ministry had a very small window of quality albums. You din't want anything before Land Of Rape and Honey, the albums before this were all a little bit Howard Jones (I kid you not). Others to look out are Psalm 69 (when it's good it's excellent but a bit up and down), and the first live album In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up, simply for an absolute storming version of Stigmata. Anyhting after Psalm 69 was all abit thrash metal to me.

The first Revolting Cocks album is also worth seeking out - with one of the guys from Front 242 on duty but he didn't have anything to do with them after this album - Big Sexyland and the live version of it You Goddamn Son Of A Bitch. In my mind RevCo went down hill, same time as Ministry, after Beers, Steers...

I was also a bit disappointed in the Last Skinny Puppy album. I think they are one of those bands I still buy the album simply cos I'm convinced they will, at some point, produce a stormer again - I much prefer the earlier keyboard stuff. At the time this was quite hard to get hold of due to it being mostly on import but if you get a chance to listen to the early live album Is It Dead Yet? grab it. The DVD is basically the last album so if that wasn't your thing then not sure you would enjoy it. I thought it was ok and quite enjoyed it. Never got to listen to the offshoots - Most of this I was into as a long-haired, spotty, moody, Sounds reading bloke about 15 years ago.

FittedKitchens - That list really takes me back. I have the first 3 Treponem Pal albums (the 2nd is superb), got 3 Consolidated albums (although never really understood why these were classed as Industrial). Way back there was a small alternative Jazz label called Pathalogical who did an excellent compilation with 2 Godlesh tracks and some quality Terminal Cheesecake on it.

I have the first 5 Scorn albums although they became a bit of a one man show after album 3. They did a remix album, I think called Ellipsis - the packaging to Scorn albums was minimal to say the least, which is superb.

As mentioned in my previous post the Swamp Terrorists first two albums are right up there - anyone who can sample from Dawn of the Dead is fine by me.

I have the first couple of Die Krupps albums - which are ok but never really got into them. The only Killing Joke album I own which I feel is industiral-ish is Pandemonium. I'm sure one of the guys from Killing Jokewho also did some stuff as part of Pigface did an album under the moniker of Murder Inc, which was kinda Pigface-ish.

Most of these albums are packed away and every now and again I get them out to have a listen. Test Dept, especially, has stood the test of time. You also need to get some Throbbing Gristle in there as well, without which quite a few of those bands wouldn't have been around. When I was working in Halifax there was a 2nd hand record shop where I managed to get some Test Dept on vinyl and paid a small fortune for Nurse With Wound album - great cover and it states on the cover that the record can be played at any speed - they're not wrong.

Early Swans albums are very heavy going - almost totally tuneless - and I actually prefer the later acoustical noise from there later albums, the band are now sadly no longer with us.

I'm sure if anyone is interested in any of these bands I could burn a couple of cds with some of this stuff on so people can have a listen - It would also give me an excuse to get them out and have a listen again.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

This is a great thread, im looking forward to getting stuck into something different...

Cheers

Hawk

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

griffo104 wrote:
    Blimey am I enjoying this thread.

I was also a bit disappointed in the Last Skinny Puppy album. I think they are one of those bands I still buy the album simply cos I'm convinced they will, at some point, produce a stormer again - I much prefer the earlier keyboard stuff. At the time this was quite hard to get hold of due to it being mostly on import but if you get a chance to listen to the early live album Is It Dead Yet? grab it. The DVD is basically the last album so if that wasn't your thing then not sure you would enjoy it. I thought it was ok and quite enjoyed it. Never got to listen to the offshoots - Most of this I was into as a long-haired, spotty, moody, Sounds reading bloke about 15 years ago.

My turn to be a picky sodIt's 'Ain't It Dead Yet?' actually :raoflmfao:got it on CD and DVD. I agree used to be a stuggle getting some of their stuff in the 80's not to mention Import prices (still cheap compared to Japanese imports;))

Testy

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Testure - Damn it you got me - must be too posh to say/write Ain't

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hawk wrote:
    This is a great thread, im looking forward to getting stuck into something different...

Cheers

Hawk
    Hopefully be able to drop some stuff of soon

Cheers

Testy

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

griffo104 wrote:
    Testure - Damn it you got me - must be too posh to say/write Ain't
    I can invisage you drinking tea with your little finger sticking out

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Have to say I haven't listened to that album for years. Can't wait get home at the weekend now.

When I first went demoing hifi I used to take Pure by Godflesh with me, the hifi had to be able to handle the intensity and bass otherwise I wasn't buying it. The amount of dealers who questioned why I would want to listen to something like that was quality. I also, subsequently, never bought anything from them.

There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited. Working Basildon at the moment - have to get on the train into London to get anything that isn't in the charts . Tempest and Swordfish (who released the first Godflesh album),in Birminghamwere also great places to get this sort of music.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Kevin Martin is still around - he makes music as 'The Bug' on Rephlex records - 'Pressure' is an awesome album.

he also did this with Justin Broederick 'tis very good IMO

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=11244

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

griffo104 wrote:
    Have to say I haven't listened to that album for years. Can't wait get home at the weekend now.

When I first went demoing hifi I used to take Pure by Godflesh with me, the hifi had to be able to handle the intensity and bass otherwise I wasn't buying it. The amount of dealers who questioned why I would want to listen to something like that was quality. I also, subsequently, never bought anything from them.

There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited. Working Basildon at the moment - have to get on the train into London to get anything that isn't in the charts . Tempest and Swordfish (who released the first Godflesh album),in Birminghamwere also great places to get this sort of music.
    Had the same problem with Hifi shops in London, looking like it was sacrilege playing "that noise" ontheir systems. Even had one miserable git, saying I was wasting his time if I listened to that. Went out of business the month later :lmao:

Was a student in Leeds in the late 80's, so was lucky that there where a number of decent independent shopsaround (Crash and Jumbo). Hardly buy from shops now. Get nearly everything from Germany http://www.infrarot.de/ (cheaper as well )

Turn Table
     LP12 SE
    SUT/Phono
     Linn Urika
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDS3
    Speakers
     Neat Ultimatum MF7
    Pre Amp
     Naim NAC252
    Power Amp
     Naim NAP300
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

griffo104 wrote:
    There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited.
    ..............Probe Records ????????

Regards
    Ridicule is nothing to be scared of

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

AdamK wrote:
    griffo104 wrote:
    There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited.
    ..............Probe Records ????????

Regards
    Yep that rings a bell. Used to walk in, the industrial stuff was off the the left, punk off to the right

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

AdamK wrote:
    Hawk wrote:
    Ive just been listening to the industrial global tag radio to see what it throws at me, there is also all these to try too!!!

• godflesh related
    • terror ebm
    • pigface related
    W T F????:raoflmfao:

Testure

Who are the class leaders in these genres ????????

Regards
    As you probably have realised by know Pigface and Godflesh are bands, which Griffo 104 knows more about than me.

Terror EBM - classical example Suicide Commando, very heavy pounding noisy beats with harsh distorted vocals. Usually find most tracks sound very similar

Wammer

Post imported post

Where exactly does 'darkwave' fit into all this? It's a phrase I've seen mentioned before, but haven't heard it... assuming it's more ambient? Or is it totally opposite, discordant stuff? Or oddball stuff like Merzbow? Is there any connection to industrial gothic, seems to be popular amongst the goth crowd.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Below is brief Godflesh bio I did for a friend's webpage many moons ago - not quite up to date any more but has details of some of the earlier albums :

StreetCleaner was Godflesh's first full album released by Earache. At the time the band was just
    Justin Broadrick (guitars & vocals) & G. Christian Green (bass) with the drums being performed by a machine.
    For the second part of the album they are joined on guitars by Paul Neville to devastating effect as heard on the
    title track. I took a big gamble buying this album and was blown away by the intensity it generated, in fact the
    whole album was like nothing else I had heard at the time. Sometimes painful the rhythms and deep bass worked well
    with the artificial personality of the drum machine. Stand out tracks for meare the afore mentioned title track
    along with Chtistbait Rising, Dream Long Dead and Locust Furnace but in reality there isn't really a bad track
    with the cd version having four extra tracks.

This album was followed up with Pure another stunning album which featured R. Hampson on guitar who had recently
    split from Loop (another great band) who subsequently went on to form Main (another band worth checking out). Selfless followed and in my mind
    is the weakest album the band has yet put out but does contain some stand out cuts such as Crush My Soul and the awesome Go Spread Your Wings.
    Songs Of Love and Hate followed next and was a return to form for the band and also included a human drummer for the first time although I tend
    to feel this removes some of the intensity when it was just a machine. Next release was a surprising Dub version of this album which works extremely
    well (Love and Hate in Dub) and is one of their best releases. Their latest release is Us and Them and takes the 'Love and Hate' theme further.
    Also look out for the self-titled debut mini album which was originally released on Swordfish records but was re-released by Earache.

P.S. The words above are mine and in no way reflect , blah blah blah.

I was a serious Godflesh fan at the time, but sadly cos they were on Earache records they kept being put with thrash bands.

Wammer

Post imported post

Griffo104,

I did an interview w/ Justin when Godflesh played Belfast in 2000 for the Metal zine I wrote at the time. If yer interested, it's available online at:

http://www.livingdamned.com/fkotld/i...godflesh.shtml

Cheers,
    Fittedkitchens

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

fittedkitchens wrote:
    Griffo104,

I did an interview w/ Justin when Godflesh played Belfast in 2000 for the Metal zine I wrote at the time. If yer interested, it's available online at:

http://www.livingdamned.com/fkotld/i...godflesh.shtml

Cheers,
    Fittedkitchens
    Fittedkitchens

Great write up. I saw Head Of David years ago at edward's No.8 in Brum but I think he had left the band by that time.

Another recommendation here for the the Swan's Great Annihilator, great album.

Have you got around to hearing any of the Jesu stuff yet ? Also got Ted Parsons on drums and Paul Neville playing guitar on a few tracks.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/ Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Darkwave: typically applied to music which is "dark" (gloomy, introspective) in nature, but more melodic than industrial.

It's a vague and diffuse genre, and the meaning has changed over time. Originally applied to bands such as Joy Division, the meaning changed in the 80's to encompass anything which sounded like Goth, but the band weren't wearing silly clothes or black eye-liner - eg. Dead Can Dance.

Now often used to describe bands that would have been Gothic back in the day (such as Cruxshadows, Type O Negative) as well as the slow, haunting music of bands such as Black Tape for a Blue Girl and the symphonic metal of Lacrimosaor Lacuna Coil.