Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Download v CD. Cost VFM, Sound Quality.

Is it just me, but why on earth buy a “download” @ 320 kbps, when you can buy the actual CD only £1.96 more ? Ie you can buy the CD then rip it yourself @ 320 kbps. The actual CD has 4.4 times the bitrate of the download. Am I being daft here ? also if you have a HDD failure of some sort and have bought say 100 £6.99 downloads, you have just lost £699 worth of music, where as hard copy wise. You’d just rip again onto a new HD.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3515420/Dig-Lazarus-Dig-/Product.html

£8.95 (free postage) Full CD, ie 1411 kbps

http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download-Album/4-/5168543/DIG-LAZARUS-DIG-/Product.html

£6.99 320 kbps MP3.

And to think Play are one of the better “download” stores with 320, Apple is 256. I know Linn offers full resolution downloads at same price as CD, ie 1411. Why on earth are downloads when their quality is so crap.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Real Name
     OB
    Turn Table
     AMG Viella
    T/Arm & Cart
     AMG V12/Benz Micro
    SUT/Phono
     Thrax Audio
    Digital Source 1
     TAD D-1000
    Digital Source 2
     Weiss Engineering
    DAC
     Vertex Aletheia
    Integrated Amp
     Soulution
    Speakers
     TAD, Brodmann
    Pre Amp
     Belles
    Power Amp
     Thrax Audio
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

A few people try to tell me that the 320 sample rate is sound AS GOOD as original! not in my experienced though, infact to me the different is massive :pooter:the silver disc sound so much better.
    Authorized retailer for TAD Labs, Vertex AQ, Soulution Audio, Brodmann, Ikeda, Shelter, Benz micro, AMG Turntable, Ziro Audio cables, , Airtight, Thrax Audio

http://www.wintersaudio.co.uk/

Wammer
    Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL-71
    T/Arm & Cart
     Reson Reca
    SUT/Phono
     Vista Audio Phono
    Digital Source 1
     Silent PC / JRiver
    Digital Source 2
     Halide BNC / AQVOX
    DAC
     Audial Model S
    Speakers
     Royd Sorcerer
    Pre Amp
     LFD DLS
    Power Amp
     LFD PA2M SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

ob1 wrote:
    A few people try to tell me that the 320 sample rate is sound AS GOOD as original! not in my experienced though, infact to me the different is massive :pooter:the silver disc sound so much better.
    I agree & I've used mp3 for around a decade now.

EDIT: they should offer files in lossless or WAV, so that the user has a choice of formats & compression.
    British Hi-Fi.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

ob1 wrote:
    Not to my ears, 320 can sound very good, but at high volumes can sound ragged & bass light compared to the original IMPE, I can see why some people would struggle identifying the 2 under blind conditions FWIW though - ie at moderate listening levels.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Super Dooper Wammer Cable Monkey's Avatar
    Real Name
     Henry
    Turn Table
     A R Legend (TTT)
    T/Arm & Cart
     PU7/Black Beauty SPX
    SUT/Phono
     HM7 / Tron 7 MM
    Digital Source 1
     Teac P700
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Metrum Octave
    Speakers
     10 inch Tannoys
    Pre Amp
     Sonic Euphoria PLC
    Power Amp
     ARC D70 mkII
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

cjr wrote:
    ob1 wrote:
    Not to my ears, 320 can sound very good, but at high volumes can sound ragged & bass light compared to the original IMPE, I can see why some people would struggle identifying the 2 under blind conditions FWIW though - ie at moderate listening levels.
    If it sounds almost as good, then why not pay almost as much?

There are plenty of folks out there for whom buying, waiting, ripping and all of the associated complications are not for them. There is a simplicity to downloading which suits a lot of people.
    Let me get this straight. You take a perfectly good CD and put it in a DVD player??!!

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/ Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

There was a Wigwam/HFC blind test on this - only a couple of people with pretty high-end systems could tell 320 kbps from uncompressed, once burned back to CD and played on the same CD player. No-one could spot the lossless (FLAC) tracks.

Downloading is useful for try-before-you-buy, IMO: but only if you don't have to pay! ;) If stuff is any good, I will buy the proper CD.

Wammer

Post imported post

320kbps is respectable enough but if I were spending with real money I buy the CD because you have the bes possible quality, and you have the physical media as back-up. You can rip it how you like and should have no ties. Buying the CD and ripping it is the ultimate way, IMO. Free downloads offer the best VFM though, being free.

People who buy 128kbps downloads from iTunes are being ripped off, but they have no care for this or understanding, so it doesn't really matter to them.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I will never pay any money for lossy compressed music. End of. (note i wont steal it either).But hopefully as storage and faster broadbandbecomes ever cheaper the value of lossy compressed music will diminish.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD160 Super
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini
    Integrated Amp
     Primare / Cairn
    Speakers
     Royd Doublets & AV77
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Or just buy the CD for £6.99 from here:-

http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_resul...t_code=2492174

Shop around and download costs just don't make sense!

Super Dooper Wammer Papa Lazarou's Avatar
    Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1S, Jolida MW
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

meninblack wrote:
    There was a Wigwam/HFC blind test on this - only a couple of people with pretty high-end systems could tell 320 kbps from uncompressed, once burned back to CD and played on the same CD player. No-one could spot the lossless (FLAC) tracks.

Downloading is useful for try-before-you-buy, IMO: but only if you don't have to pay! ;) If stuff is any good, I will buy the proper CD.

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

darrenm wrote:
    320kbps is respectable enough but if I were spending with real money I buy the CD because you have the bes possible quality, and you have the physical media as back-up. You can rip it how you like and should have no ties. Buying the CD and ripping it is the ultimate way, IMO. Free downloads offer the best VFM though, being free.

People who buy 128kbps downloads from iTunes are being ripped off, but they have no care for this or understanding, so it doesn't really matter to them.
    First pressings son !

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Couldn't agree more CJ, why would you pay almost as much for a download as having a secure physical recording. I guess the only advantage is that you only download the track you want, rather than paying for a whole cd that may have duff tracks.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Jasper wrote:
    Couldn't agree more CJ, why would you pay almost as much for a download as having a secure physical recording. I guess the only advantage is that you only download the track you want, rather than paying for a whole cd that may have duff tracks.
    Spot on Jasper, I did this for £0.79 for "Teardrop" off the Newton Faulkner, handy to hear the track - but I ended up buying the CD anyway. I agree about the 128 issue chaps, madness.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gaz
    Turn Table
     SL1210
    Digital Source 1
     SBTouch
    DAC
     MF M1DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Puresound/AVI
    Speakers
     MA s6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

darrenm wrote:
    It fits the purpose of what it was intended for with most people:

A cheap and easy way to get new music quickly (i.e instantly) onto a mobile device that probably wouldn't be able to exhibit a marginal difference in SQ over some cheap bundled headphones anyway.

It's only the people who are genuinely bothered about SQ and bitrates who care that iTunes or whatever are low quality files and in the real world they (we) make up a small number of the actual users no doubt.

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD160 Super
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini
    Integrated Amp
     Primare / Cairn
    Speakers
     Royd Doublets & AV77
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

And lets not forget, some cd's tend to have fairly decent covers, slip notes etc. And if there's a limited edition with extra tracks or videos I like to go for that, often they're only a couple of quid more. I've yet to see a album download with a free bonus dvd.

I quite liked NIN's recent strategy, where you get half the album as free download, then you can either buy the rest of the album as a CD, download or super swanky version with loads of art and gubbins.

The other problem with downloading a lossy file, is although it maybe pretty good quality to start with (e.g AAC 320Kbps), but what if you need to transcode it for use on something else that doesn't support AAC or you just to save space/battery power on your personal player? Moving from one lossy format to another really messes with the sound quality. Now if you had a flac or other lossless format you can transcode that to any format you like with the minimum of quality loss. So you could have top quality at home, a compromise for space/battery usage on your personal player and then for streaming to media server in kitchen a simple lossless to mp3 encode.

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Dr.Jones wrote:
    darrenm wrote:

A cheap and easy way to get new music quickly (i.e instantly) onto a mobile device that probably wouldn't be able to exhibit a marginal difference in SQ over some cheap bundled headphones anyway.

It's only the people who are genuinely bothered about SQ and bitrates who care that iTunes or whatever are low quality files and in the real world they (we) make up a small number of the actual users no doubt.
    That 's so true . I have portable media butfor me its just that . It basically so i don't have to listen to DoRis and Jean on the train home talking about what they're going to cook their respective husbands for dinner that night .

No offence intended ladies.
    First pressings son !

Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     SL-1210M5G
    Digital Source 1
     Exposure 2010S
    Integrated Amp
     MF A3.5
    Speakers
     MA GS10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Dr.Jones wrote:
    darrenm wrote:

True. The GF occasionally downloads from iTunes (and she sometines even listens to the tracks through the built in speakers of a Powerbook ). I got her to burn me a CD of the Ashes to Ashes (TV prog) album that she downloaded - it sounded really flat through my system. I wouldn't ever download unless it was uncompressed/FLAC format.

Real Name
     Karl
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Don't forget, with a CD you get the art work and track listings etc, printed on nice paper (if that comes with a download how much would that cost in ink & paper?), and get to put the CD (in the free case) on a shelf with all the others you own, which looks nice, plus , if you buy it in a shop, you get out of the house and can have a proper browse through other stuff. No matter what some may say, browsing physical items beats on-screen hands down, and is very healthy for your soul and your CD collection...
    If it ain't going in, it ain't coming out

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Big as my personal music collection is, it isn't even close to the scope of the on-line libraries. I use a download service because for a tenner a month I get access to tens of thousands of tracks. That allows me to explore music and artists without stealing or making expensive mistakes.

In addition I can build playlists for my music server and enjoy background music to my taste, not some DJ's latest rave. And is it ever handy when you want to hear some track from the past!

And when I make a new discovery I can buy the CD. What could be better?
    Audioheretic

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

karlinamillion wrote:
    Don't forget, with a CD you get the art work and track listings etc, printed on nice paper (if that comes with a download how much would that cost in ink & paper?), and get to put the CD (in the free case) on a shelf with all the others you own, which looks nice, plus , if you buy it in a shop, you get out of the house and can have a proper browse through other stuff. No matter what some may say, browsing physical items beats on-screen hands down, and is very healthy for your soul and your CD collection...
    Aye..

But browsing for, and owning the music on 12" vinyl is even more satisfying!