Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Excuse the image quality its only the camera on my phone. Now ive just got to wait the rest of the day until i can get it home and hook it up

Effem

Post imported post

Well if it sounds as good as the power amp that I have, you will be pleased with it

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Effem wrote:
    Well if it sounds as good as the power amp that I have, you will be pleased with it
    Certainly hope so, first time ive bought completely blind, but hey thats half the fun! Its the CA3 model, which was the top integrated and has the same output as the power (and pre-outs to use with the power) so hopefully should sound similar.

Wammer

Post imported post

hifikrazy wrote:

Didn't your Mum ever tell you to tuck in your shirt? :raoflmfao:

On second thought, we can all be thankful you're not taller!

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Dexter wrote:
    hifikrazy wrote:
    Didn't your Mum ever tell you to tuck in your shirt? :raoflmfao:
    Was waiting for comments about my state of dress. Yeh she probablydid, im just rebelling. (not very good at it). Actually theres not much point in looking smart in my job, and i always seem to find a way tolook scruffy even in decent suits etc.

Post imported post

looks looooooovely ,let us know what it sounds like ?

Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

mmmmmm shiny

wot is it?
    still just watching clouds

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2mRed
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Nice, reminds me of the brand Restek from Germany (they love Chrome over there)

clean gloves hide dirty hands

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Its a Cymbol CA3. Its the integrated brother of the power amp frank has.

First impression: This thing sounds huuggge, almost too huge for my current tiny listening area, it certainly loves to boogie and sounds much bigger than its 60w would suggest. The imaging is truly amazing with real depth and precision, its most certainly a step up from amps ive had before (and a total bargain at what i paid for it). Now if you'll excuse me i have to go grin like an idiot in front of my speakers.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

And a very nice friend it looks too!

If it's as good at its price point as the CA1 is/was, you should have an excellent time with it.

Happy listening,
    Boxer

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well after a couple of hours listening last night i can definitely say this is a very nice amp. I can also say that i probably need a new source. And speakers as i rather think its showing up the limitations of both

The bass is just too much (but then the speakers are really as well) for the room so ill have to do something about that, my usual cable is a bit short so am running some van damme stuff in long lengths cos it was cheap, but i think its at least partly responsible for the slightly wayward sound.

Real Name
     Phil
    Turn Table
     Voyd
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR100S, Decca SG DP
    SUT/Phono
     Prototype AI P2
    Digital Source 1
     CEC TL53Z
    Digital Source 2
     Thinkpad and rBlink
    DAC
     AN 1.1 Sig
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     AN Jp M7
    Power Amp
     NAF 845 SET
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Mmmm..thats sometimes the problem with upgrades - they lead to more upgrades!

What kit are you using with the amp?
    My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. (David Bissonette)

Effem

Post imported post

These little Cymbol amps certainly give a great sound although they need good accompanying kit to bring out the best in them.

I upgraded the power supply reservoir caps from 4700uF to 10,000uF in my power amp and it improved in soundyet again with better definition and control.

Not being used at the moment so fancy the idea ofbi-amping HIFIKRAZY? :green:

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Papa Lazarou wrote:
    Mmmm..thats sometimes the problem with upgrades - they lead to more upgrades!

What kit are you using with the amp?
    Rather embarassingly im currently using a Rotel RCD-965 as a transport into either a micromega duo dac or different no-name dac (very similar internals to MF X-24K). The speakers are tannoy 611 MKII. So yes could definitely do with an upgrade! Think ill be getting rid of a few more bits ive got hanging around (the duo, a couple of amps..........)

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Effem wrote:
    These little Cymbol amps certainly give a great sound although they need good accompanying kit to bring out the best in them.

I upgraded the power supply reservoir caps from 4700uF to 10,000uF in my power amp and it improved in soundyet again with better definition and control.

Not being used at the moment so fancy the idea ofbi-amping HIFIKRAZY? :green:
    heh heh, i wondered if you might try and tempt me ;) Trouble is, as you can read above i really think the rest of the kit could use a leg up. Really dont want to get rid of the speakers, but may have to (tempted to re-wire them and tweak the crossover a little - better inductor would no doubt improve bass control). Be hard to replace though.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

hifikrazy wrote:
    ... Really dont want to get rid of the speakers, but may have to (tempted to re-wire them and tweak the crossover a little - better inductor would no doubt improve bass control). Be hard to replace though.
    The limiting factor with these otherwise lovely speakers (still enjoying the 609s BTW) is the plastic driver baskets - you'll never get the bass fully under control with the driver frames joining in at certain critical frequencies...

The quacky polyprop cones don't help, either- powerful solid-state amplifiers bring-out the worst in these (but my ancient Japcrap receiver does just the opposite! ).

Perhaps a nice pair of Eyrises?

churz, eofs

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earl of sodbury wrote:
    hifikrazy wrote:
    ... Really dont want to get rid of the speakers, but may have to (tempted to re-wire them and tweak the crossover a little - better inductor would no doubt improve bass control). Be hard to replace though.
    The limiting factor with these otherwise lovely speakers (still enjoying the 609s BTW) is the plastic driver baskets - you'll never get the bass fully under control with the driver frames joining in at certain critical frequencies...

The quacky polyprop cones don't help, either- powerful solid-state amplifiers bring-out the worst in these (but my ancient Japcrap receiver does just the opposite! ).

churz, eofs
    Yeh they look pretty tasty, although i think if i went for a new pair of speakers others might be in the running more than Tannoys maybe. You probably have a good point about the cone - although im 99% certain the chassis itself is steel (not great,but better than plastic! - these babies were made before plastic chassis were commonplace.)

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

hifikrazy wrote:
    earl of sodbury wrote:
    hifikrazy wrote:

churz, eofs
    Yeh they look pretty tasty, although i think if i went for a new pair of speakers others might be in the running more than Tannoys maybe. You probably have a good point about the cone - although im 99% certain the chassis itself is steel (not great,but better than plastic! - these babies were made before plastic chassis were commonplace.)
    Never actually heard 'em TBH but I love the surrealist grandfather-clock looks!

Dunno about the 611s, but the main driver basket on the 609s is definitely plastic. Always a mixed blessing - good at some freqs not so good at others... Lovely sound overall though.

Congrats on the new amp BTW - stunning bit of kit!

churz, eofs

Wammer
    Real Name
     Tim
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Cheers mate, yeh it is bit bling isnt it? However i quite like it, brings out my inner fiddy pence.

Oh yeh and the fact that it wees all over the MF X-80 (which i do actually think is a very good amp for the money) doesnt hurt either!

Wammer

Post imported post

ahhhhhh! so it was you! had my eye on this .. went for what? 250 on ebay? i was going to bid but my wallet is a bit light this month.. (student accomodation payments ) glad you like it.
    The Blues ain\'t nothin\' but a woman on a weak man\'s mind