Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Your views chaps, Im after a "cheap" performance estate car and I have driven both of these cars today, only downside I can see to the Skoda is the petrol costs over the diesel costs of the Vauxhall. But the interior of the Skoda is a step up from the Vauxhall. Not sure what IG the Skoda is, but the Vectra is 10.

Both great cars performance wise (to me that is) ie theyvery quick.

Any views from you petrol/diesel heads ?
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I think the Octavia gives you more 'cool' points!

Do they cost about the same? If the petrol is cheaper - you should make a rough calculation as to how long its going to take to make back the money saved by buying the petrol model.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I haven't driven the Octavia CJ, but I've driven lots of Diesel Vectra's. They are truly awful to drive. Rotten steering, stoopid controls (indicators, wipers) that just don't work, and the seats give you backache after a couple of hundred miles.

Mind you, the Octavia is Golf-based and the Golf's not much better than the Vectra. VRS spec at least gives you a bit more cred than the minicab Vauxhall. Don't they have Mondeo's in Jockland? These are a much better bet.

Wammer

Post imported post

Depreciation on the Vectra will be enormous, so any potential savings in fuel will be wiped out. Go for the Skoda. I had a Vectra which I bought when it was 10 months old for 7.5k (1/2 list price and that was from a dealer) I sold it 2 years later and was offered 2.5k as a trade in (Car less than 3 years old) eventually managed to sell it for 3.5k. Oh and it was the worst car I have ever owned.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Thanks for the input dudes (much appreciated), the Oct vRS has jumped into an unassailable lead due to a surprisingly low insurance quote today (lower than I was expecting). Just looking for some biased views and I got them, Excellent points on the depreication of the Vauxhall. Ive also spoke to a few friends and it seems, that the indicator stalk is a little quirky on current Vauxs, Also the vRS interior is a stratospehric leap above the Vauxhall SRI IMHO. Its has more niceities, like levva interior, wheel, 6CD, parking sensors, roof rails, I can easily forgo diesel to have such a sporty car on a “budget”.

MIB – yes the Mondeo TDCI 2.0 was also on my shopping list but again its was basic LX spec, but the trade in offered on my existing car was a joke, both Vauxhall & Skoda were offering good trade ins. Now trying to source a newer vRS within the Skoda organisation and one has been earmarked by my local dealer, will report back when I get one (hopefully not long).

If anyone is interested, the dealer I spoke to told me that a 1.9 TDI vRS is 1-2 years away, I can feel a future trade in at that point. Anyway thanks again.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Wammer

Post imported post

Why not an Octavia Estate with the Diesel VW Engine 140PS... found on most VW Passat, Audi A4 these days?
    MF X-150 & X-Ray v3 (via IXOS 100.X03)
    2 Merlin Black Widow mains cables
    Castle Richmond 3i (via QED XT 400)

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Gaul, simply because sitting inside a vRS is like being inside no other Skoda. I Take you point about the 140 PS Diesel, but it does not come in a sport package like the vRS. Nice cars, indeed we took one for a spin (ambience model), no lack of poke but the 1.8T was on another level. I don’t know what chassis tuning or vRS mods made a difference but it was noticable.

Anyway I had better get my delfector shield on max setting as I look like a future Skoda owner.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Peter
    Turn Table
     Project Debut Carbon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon 2M Red
    Digital Source 1
     Arcam CD17
    Digital Source 2
     M-CR603 with B&W 686
    Integrated Amp
     Arcam A18
    Speakers
     Dali Zensor 5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

You'll get nothing but respect from me, CJ, if you get the Octavia vRS. AFAIK, if you buy the vRS, you get the Golf GTi engine, more legroom, more luggage space and save over £3,000!

When I no longer need a people carrier, the vRS will be right near the top of my list.

:dude:
    Pro-ject Debut Carbon / Arcam CD17 > Arcam A18 > Dali Zensor 5
    Airplay > Marantz M-CR603 > B&W 686
    Samsung BD-H6500 / BT Youview / Apple TV 3 > Yamaha RX-V673 > Wharfedale DX-1HCP

Wammer

Post imported post

peter312 wrote:
    You'll get nothing but respect from me, CJ, if you get the Octavia vRS.
    CJR has now no choice but to go for the Octavia VRS Estate... ;)
    MF X-150 & X-Ray v3 (via IXOS 100.X03)
    2 Merlin Black Widow mains cables
    Castle Richmond 3i (via QED XT 400)

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Peter
    Turn Table
     Project Debut Carbon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon 2M Red
    Digital Source 1
     Arcam CD17
    Digital Source 2
     M-CR603 with B&W 686
    Integrated Amp
     Arcam A18
    Speakers
     Dali Zensor 5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

gaul wrote:
    peter312 wrote:
    You'll get nothing but respect from me, CJ, if you get the Octavia vRS.
    CJR has now no choice but to go for the Octavia VRS Estate... ;)
    hmmmm...........

No comment!
    Pro-ject Debut Carbon / Arcam CD17 > Arcam A18 > Dali Zensor 5
    Airplay > Marantz M-CR603 > B&W 686
    Samsung BD-H6500 / BT Youview / Apple TV 3 > Yamaha RX-V673 > Wharfedale DX-1HCP

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Had the dubious pleasure of a Derv Vectra for a week CJ truly nasty cars. Horrible ride and handling which after a while gets on your nerves.

The Octavia is a cheap Passat and as such will wipe the floor with any Griffen badged equivalent IMO.

I would reccomend my car, but they are still quite pricey and the build may not be as good as the Skoda; due to rather stiff ride they rattle after a while. Mind you it is quicker and handles SOOOOO much better than the 2 you mention.

Mondeo ST TDCi: They do make an Estate version but they are hens teeth. Enormous boot in the hatch though.

She's perty too.

Wammer

Post imported post

I'd say if you can live with the petrol cost over the diesel, go for the Skoda - petrol cars are always nicer to drive and faster than diesels, comparing like for like.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

182-Geordie wrote:
    I'd say if you can live with the petrol cost over the diesel, go for the Skoda - petrol cars are always nicer to drive and faster than diesels, comparing like for like.
    Paul awaiting delivery!! Skoda is winging its way towards me from another Franchise, I was a nats arsehair from buying your old vRS Hatch a year ago, so the Estate ticks all the boxes. Did I mention the Vectras time lag with the Turbo ? 1 second of nothingness then it sprung into life, the vRS pulled all the time.

James 1 year old TDCIs with low milage are a scarce thing for me with local dealers, it was on my hitlist though - but the local Ford dealers were taking the mick with the trade in on my current car, thus Skoda & Vauxhall were left. The Skoda was the eminently more enticing proposition but I wanted some feedback. And duly got it. Confirmed what I felt.

Wammer

Post imported post

cjr wrote:
    182-Geordie wrote:
    Paul awaiting delivery!! Skoda is winging its way towards me from another Franchise, I was a nats arsehair from buying your old vRS Hatch a year ago, so the Estate ticks all the boxes. Did I mention the Vectras time lag with the Turbo ? 1 second of nothingness then it sprung into life, the vRS pulled all the time.

James 1 year old TDCIs with low milage are a scarce thing for me with local dealers, it was on my hitlist though - but the local Ford dealers were taking the mick with the trade in on my current car, thus Skoda & Vauxhall were left. The Skoda was the eminently more enticing proposition but I wanted some feedback. And duly got it. Confirmed what I felt.
    Nice one, you wont regret it!

You werent actually going to buy MY old vRS were you? (the one for sale at Newcastle)

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

182-Geordie wrote:
    Nice one, you wont regret it!

You werent actually going to buy MY old vRS were you? (the one for sale at Newcastle)
    Not sure if it was yours or not Paul but it was for sale after you got the Clio, it was a dealer In Toonland for £9995 a year ago, silve’un(they are quite rare at dealers FWIW), but I held off and Im glad I did after driving the petrol estate version I am now awaiting.

Wammer

Post imported post

Probably not mine... I sold mine April last year, and AFAIK it was on the forecourts for a few months at £10995.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Chaps now been driving the vRS for a week solid (long story of missing log books etc), and being honest after this length of time I struggle to think why I even considered the Vectra, the vRS is better put together, more solid feeling, damned quick (quicker than poor old me will ever drive it). I would reccomend this brand to any person I know, the vRS range has quite simply bowled me over, and when I change the other car we own, I will seriously have to find something special to stop me buying the hatch version of this beast of a car.

(One very happy vRS owner in case you could not tell )

PS also has a very nice 6CD autochanger.

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

the local police use these for rapid response units, they are lovingly called ''the devil cars''
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

cjr wrote:
    damned quick (quicker than poor old me will ever drive it).

If you're looking for some foofoo dust to sprinkle on it go to www.briskoda.net and check Jabba Sport or Revo Technik..

Some folks are getting 400+BHP out of the old 1.8T!