Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wammer

Post imported post

Amps are like buses, do not see any decent ones for sale for ages. then loads come along

Just seen a brand new valve amplifier RRP 3k going for about £800 its brand new and legit its not one I am after or have even thought of buying

but at that price

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

So have you bought an amp that's as big as a bus, Dave?

It would fit in...

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Share the location of said device for the benefit of fellow members then David. :flasher:

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

give us a PM Dave, still looking at new amps, so if you feel like sharing....

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

C'mon Dave what is it? ooh you are a tease

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PS SCM, I'm booked in to listen to the Stingray next week, will be my first valve experience

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Biscuit wrote:
    PS SCM, I'm booked in to listen to the Stingray next week, will be my first valve experience

Biscuit, please keep me informed, bet you buy it ! Where are you demming to? What are you replacing?

PS Once a valve fan, there's no going back

Wammer

Post imported post

Share the location of said device

No way tell you toe rags and some tart would go and buy it :dude:

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

*St Neots is just down the road, so I'm going to demo it along with some Pathos and Eastern Electric kit. Quite fancy some valves tbh, and apparenltly my new cdp was designed to be used with valves, so I thought I'd try some out. Going to be upgrading from a MF X80, so quite a big jump

*(high-fidelity audio)

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Wow that is a big jump, I'd be interested to what you thought of the Pathos as I too demoed this when I was amp hunting, found the midrange veilled but bass kicked ass, the Stingray had good bass too, though not as deep but far better midrange and a lot more musical. Very helpful company too, Manley.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Biscuit wrote:
    my new cdp was designed to be used with valves,
    Biscuit,

Is that so? I wasn't aware that there were CDPs designed to be used solely with valves? Loudspeakers, yes! CDPs, err?? So which CDP do you use?

Enjoy the music™
    Lawrie.

Off the beaten track lies the music......just waiting to be discovered.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

well, theoretically it was tweaked by KI to integrate well with david price's valve amplification (whatever that may be). Thats what the blurb said anyway :sw:

edit its a marantz cd63ki dp (well will be when i get it back, its off at the company doing the metal work at the minute i think, as i got another note through the post from a random company saying they had recieved my cdp )

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Biscuit wrote:
    well, theoretically it was tweaked by KI to integrate well with david price's valve amplification (whatever that may be). Thats what the blurb said anyway :sw:

edit its a marantz cd63ki dp (well will be when i get it back, its off at the company doing the metal work at the minute i think, as i got another note through the post from a random company saying they had recieved my cdp )

Biscuit,

I don't know who David Price is but this sounds like marketing crap to me. I can understand adding valves to a CDP's output stage or just before the output stage but tweaking a CDP just for valve amplification sounds like a money making exercise to me. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you being charged for such work?

Enjoy the music™

Lawrie.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

David Price, Lawrie is one of the HFW writers, he writes some quite sensible comments & he writes some “fairies in the garden” type comments. And I mean fairies in the garden type comments.

Good to see you around bro. Have you seen the new NAD Universal player called the M55 ? Right up your street for a universal player, give me a shout if you get a listen on the continent before it arrives in the UK.

Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

its £1000 Lawrie, but there are a few other tweaks as well. It probably is marketing crap, but the mods have been very limited runs, so I wouldn't see much point in making stuff up, especially since KI himself has put his name on the line. This of course is me being naive and defending my investment though :lwink:

DP doesn't half come out with some crap though, I agree with you on that cj!

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Biscuit wrote:
    its £1000 Lawrie, but there are a few other tweaks as well. It probably is marketing crap, but the mods have been very limited runs, so I wouldn't see much point in making stuff up, especially since KI himself has put his name on the line. This of course is me being naive and defending my investment though :lwink:
    Biscuit!

Holy valves glowing in the dark!!! Are you telling me that having spent whatever is was to buy the Marantz player, you now have to fork out £1000on a modification that makes the player play better with valve amps? Biscuit, the combined cost of the Marantz player plus modification could get you some pretty decent sounding CDPs that play well with valves, solid-state and digital class D/T amps.If you like the Marantz sound married to valves then how about the AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 CDP which contains valves and an upsampling 24/192 featureand sounds superb for the money? I'm sure it is a lot cheaper than the combined cost of the Marantz + modification? I'm not trying to make you feel bad my friend but I am truly and deeply shocked at what you are having to pay for that modification. I just hope it sounds the biz, bro'.

CJ - good to see you around too. What's up with the low profile handle i.e. cjr. Where is the CJROSS that we all know and like?

Btw, that NAD sure looks interesting and I do like the metal work. Those higher end NAD players are not made in the same factory as the regular NADs hence the higher sound and buildquality. If I get to listen to it, I'll pass on my comments. I am also expecting the Copland DRC-205 to turn up for testing early in September so I'll pass on my vibes about its room correction and DAC/ADC qualities. The DAC is the same as the upsampling one that can be found in the CDA-823.

Enjoy the music™

Lawrie.

Wammer

Post imported post

Lawrie wrote:
    Holy valves glowing in the dark!!! Are you telling me that having spent whatever is was to buy the Marantz player, you now have to fork out £1000on a modification that makes the player play better with valve amps? Biscuit, the combined cost of the Marantz player plus modification could get you some pretty decent sounding CDPs that play well with valves, solid-state and digital class D/T amps.If you like the Marantz sound married to valves then how about the AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 CDP which contains valves and an upsampling 24/192 featureand sounds superb for the money? I'm sure it is a lot cheaper than the combined cost of the Marantz + modification? I'm not trying to make you feel bad my friend but I am truly and deeply shocked at what you are having to pay for that modification. I just hope it sounds the biz, bro'.

Quick Biscuit! Show him the picture!

It does LOOK 'the biz' and Ken Ishywishy stands behind it.. I don't think there's any marketing involved TBH, just a speciality mod done for those who want it. I'm reminded of an AVONdale mod for the naim CD3 which sets you back a cool 1250 notes (and that doesn't include shipment to japan!)

I have been watching biscuits dealings with his cd63 with great interest! I'm a sucker for these 'special mods' If onlyi had the cash!
    The Blues ain\'t nothin\' but a woman on a weak man\'s mind

Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Did someone mention amps for sale?

"Me have amplifier for sale.

It have huge, enormous transformers.

And big , gigantic transformers.

And look at expensive Russian valves.

Look at American imports - just like toys.

Me have big transformers."

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum5/105.html
    Vote NEIN !

Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

several persons here seem to be making the same assumption that : money = sound (either a lot = good or little = bad...it's all the same silliness). HiFi is fun because there are great bargains out there and, huge mistakes to be made.
    wish I could afford the mistakes
    still just watching clouds

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

rockmeister wrote:
    several persons here seem to be making the same assumption that : money = sound (either a lot = good or little = bad...it's all the same silliness). HiFi is fun because there are great bargains out there and, huge mistakes to be made.
    wish I could afford the mistakes
    thanks for making the assumption that I'm making that assumption