Marantz PM-11
    Speakers
     PMC GB1i
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi guys,

First post, so please be gentle;)

I was listening to the Primare I30 tonight, which I have on trial. I also have a Marantz CD17 KI Mk2, and every time I chose a track number on the Marantz remote control, the Primare would either go to standby or select a different input, depending on which number I picked.

Is there anything that can be done about this? As much as I am enjoying the Primare, if this happens each time I try to change tracks, it would have a serious bearing on changing to it.

dougan

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     NAS Spacedeck Heavy
    Digital Source 1
     ARCAM CD192
    Integrated Amp
     ARCAM A80 & P80
    Speakers
     Wilson Benesch Arc
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi Dougan

Welcome to wigwam.

Couldn't see your question sitting all forlorn there, but I'm not the person to answer.

If you really enjoy the sound of the Primare then either stop using the cd remote, move the two pieces of kit apart from each other, or, once it's yours, tape over the infra red eye on the amp.

No doubt one of our resident techies will offer to re-programme your remote with new hexadecimal coding, after which point it won't work on anything

Good luck

W&F

Effem

Post imported post

I doubt very much indeed there can be anything done about it as it's at code level in the remote systems. Short of having individual long straight tubes down which you fire the seperate remotes to each unit's remote sensor window you are pretty much stuck with the conflict

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Alot of remotes are purchased in large quantities from the electrical stock parts bin. Creek and MF used identical remotes for years. I 'd fire an email of to Primare first and see if there is any remedy
    First pressings son !

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Is there anything that can be done about this?
    Unfortunately not. There is, as you have found out, similarity between the infrared control signals both pieces of kit use for remote operation. Hence the Primare is responding to the infrared signals sent by the Marantz Remote.

I’d suggest you try and find the receiver diode on the front of the Primare (usually covered by a small piece of plastic) and cover this with a piece of black electrical tape. You’ll lose the remote function of the Primare but this will solve the problem you describe.

Effem

Post imported post

mosfet wrote:
    I’d suggest you try and find the receiver diode on the front of the Primare (usually covered by a small piece of plastic) and cover this with a piece of black electrical tape. You’ll lose the remote function of the Primare but this will solve the problem you describe.
    Call that a techynical answer? My tubes idea was a better one by far as at least the poor man still has full remote functions on both bits of kit

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     NAS Spacedeck Heavy
    Digital Source 1
     ARCAM CD192
    Integrated Amp
     ARCAM A80 & P80
    Speakers
     Wilson Benesch Arc
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

mosfet wrote:
    Oi! I suggested that first, and I'm not technical

You're suppose to come with an answer which refers to the refractive indices of a marantz x275 transmitter compared to the super diodic, 4 times over-sampled, minimised gain receiver in the primare

W&F:minikiev:

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Oi! I suggested that first, and I'm not technical
    Oh yes, so you did. All due acknowledgement for sticky tape solutions to W&F!

You're suppose to come with an answer which refers to the refractive indices of a marantz x275 transmitter compared to the super diodic, 4 times over-sampled, minimised gain receiver in the primare
    Not until page four

My tubes idea was a better one by far as at least the poor man still has full remote functions on both bits of kit
    Pah! Remote controls on amplifiers are for lazy arses anyway (but you could use a flexible optical fibre as a light guide given the properties of total internal reflection, angle of incidence blah, blah, blah.. :yoda

Real Name
     Dougie
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz SA-11
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz PM-11
    Speakers
     PMC GB1i
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Many thanks for the replies guys!

I have emailed Primare and will report back with their answer.

I am of the opinion there is nothing that can be done. Not the end of the world I know, but if a amp has a remote it would be nice to use it.

dougan

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Simple query here : Have you tried the Primare remote for the I30 to operate the CDP ?
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Real Name
     Dougie
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz SA-11
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz PM-11
    Speakers
     PMC GB1i
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi CJ,

Nice to hear from you again!

No, I have not tried the Primare remote, it was still packaged up, unused So I did not try it. Bugger it, its mine for a week so I will try it.

Have just tried the Primare remote, all it seems to change is the volume level on the cd player. The Marantz has a volume control level, which I always keep at maximum.

dougan

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

dougan wrote:
    Hi CJ,

Nice to hear from you again!

No, I have not tried the Primare remote, it was still packaged up, unused So I did not try it. Bugger it, its mine for a week so I will try it.

Have just tried the Primare remote, all it seems to change is the volume level on the cd player. The Marantz has a volume control level, which I always keep at maximum.

dougan

Dougan IIRC there is a way of selecting the CD source on the Primare “menu”, that allows the remote to be used in conjunction with Primares CD/DVD sources, you may need to read the manual or call Primare to find out how. But its working the volume on the Marantz which is a positive sign, a £25 universal remote may have to be the solution for the marantz CDP.

Anyway you may like this little shot of the new Pre 30 & brace of A30.2s in a nice Spectral rack.

Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Effem

Post imported post

cjr wrote:
    Dougan IIRC there is a way of selecting the CD source on the Primare “menu”, that allows the remote to be used in conjunction with Primares CD/DVD sources, you may need to read the manual or call Primare to find out how. But its working the volume on the Marantz which is a positive sign, a £25 universal remote may have to be the solution for the marantz CDP.
    It's worth a shot CJ although even with a universal remote I think there is still going to be a code conflict with the remotes. Isn't it so annoying when something as small as this issue mars an otherwise enjoyable purchase?