Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
    Wammer

Post imported post

As mentioned in another thread our hi-filives in a smallish dining room (about 4m x 3.5m) which we are just making over and it has to be massively decluttered. For a while now I've been using ProAc Mini Towers which replaced Tablette Supers I'd had for years and then the first Tablettes before that. I'd been using a Paradigm 10" sub with the Mini Towers as they lack low bass and that sounded fine. I like the ProAc mid/treble but just can't afford their slightly larger models with more bass.

I am really trying to lose the sub but keep the bass so hadtried Acoustic Energy 109s on their ownlast year which were just too boomy on the bass even with the rear ports plugged with foam.... also bit unrefined compared to the ProAcs.

The speakers have to be near the rear wall and close to corners so any ported design really needs a front port and I don't seem to like sealed boxes as much. Tried some Castle speakers last year (bland) plus a pair of Ruark Sabres (not too bad but a bit "boxy").

I've wondered if Mission 751 or 751F might do from reading about them.

Any other ideas for some slim floorstanders or smaller standmounts that would come for £200 used on a good day? They also need to be in oak, cherry or possibly black.

I'm more than happy to take a chance buying a used pair and listening for a few weeks before selling on if they don't suit.

David

Real Name
     Karl
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I bought a pair of Elac Jets off Jandl100 (very nice bloke). Bit more than £200, but really really good, and very small.

Stick with models up to about 5 years old & you'll be fine (with caveats)- it's remarkable how much better speakers have become over recent years £ for £.

Just stuff a sock in the rear port!

If it ain't going in, it ain't coming out

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

System Audio 1520 but hard to source at £200 I reckon, Tannoy R2 come to mind very slim profile £150-200.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
    Digital Source 1
     Micromega stage 2
    Integrated Amp
     Trafomatic elegance
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Royd Apex, Rega Ela's..both transmission lines but exit at the rear, i havent experienced boom with either mind.

Regar R3's are superb too, front port.

Royd Doublets are side ported and very good speakers.

Ruark Prologues. not sure if it is Mk1 or mk2 that is front ported. worth checking out tho as they do go cheap and loook very nice.

depending on how slim you need also check out Ruark Talisman II's, Preludes and templars.

i dont believe speakers have moved on that much and i do believe that older speakers offer better bang per buck and unlike cd players etc they are not a huge worry to repair if they did happen to go wrong.

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     SBT/Vortexbox
    Integrated Amp
     NAD D3020
    Speakers
     Cabasse IO2 system
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Try these system audio on hi fi for sale at £120 if still available. My 1750 great.

http://www.system-audio.com/_en-GB/C...nov%201998.pdf
    Vortexbox-Squeezebox Touch-NAD D3020-Cabasse IO2

Wammer

Post imported post

Some good stuff for me to look up thanks. I have to say I'm more comfortable with 1990s and older speakers... they just feel right even before they are fired up.

David

Baron Von Hunchfront bandit pilot's Avatar
    Real Name
     Rick
    Turn Table
     401/Nott's
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/ Terminator
    SUT/Phono
     Graaf GM70/Edwards
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester 006
    Integrated Amp
     Gamma ref211
    Speakers
     Impulse H2
    Pre Amp
     Graaf GM13.5B
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

karlinamillion wrote:
    Stick with models up to about 5 years old & you'll be fine (with caveats)- it's remarkable how much better speakers have become over recent years £ for £.

like what??

im with mr bourney on this one. the quarter wave t/l's like the royd and rega models are a hell of a speaker. easy to place, work well against a wall and sound like 10 times the price.

isnt there a pair of mk2 ela's in the for sale bit? think they were cherry and circa £200.
    Slayer of Lizard Overlords!

Acc shut see Purit North
    Real Name
     Purit North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

If you want summat supermodel skinny that punches well above its weight, Revolver's AVF is way better than it should be, though even secondhand you'll prolly need to find a shade more than 200 sheets...

Wammer

Post imported post

Those Revolvers look really interesting. Very much of the proportions of my Mini Towers but with much better bass potential I'd think. They seem to be aimed at the surround sound market though rather than hi-fi. Couldn't find much on the net or any for sale.

Thanks,

David

Real Name
     Dave
    Turn Table
     Planar 3
    T/Arm & Cart
     DV10X5 deceased
    SUT/Phono
     Dynavector P75
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz dv9500
    DAC
     Audiosector
    Integrated Amp
     Densen b100
    Speakers
     Ruark Talisman II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I did a speaker comparison recently and the revolvers won - i'm looking for a smallish standmounter.

Very good and underrated imo.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak.