Audio Emotion  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Wammer

Post imported post

Need recommendations for a new transport. Am using the Rotel RCD991AE now, but given that Im moving to the far east soon, am looking for something more recent. The rotel is about 4-5 years old. And Im afraid the laser might crap out. My requirements are

• Afunctional remote control that is easy to use
    • TOSLINK out is a must
    • A goodsolid CDtray (mechanically wise I mean)

WIll be paired with a Chord Dac 64, BelCanto Evo 2i (yes Im keeping it!) and MA GR'20's. Looking to spend about 1000 quid max, ed-dem orused preferred.

I did see a bunch of Meridian kit on ebay, but not too sure about them.

Rotel RCD-991,Chord Dac 64, Bow ZZ-1, MA GR-20\'s

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

RJ, if it were me I’d be using a DVD transport – there are plenty around that are well engineered. So with that in mind I would suggest a player like this one :

These can still be bought new from Leconcepts on the net for £600. If jitter is a concern, then it has been measured at 40 picosecs ie none basically. Has a tray mechanism that is hard to believe CD12 proportions, and if you ever sell your DAC 64 it has a very nice sound as a CDP and can be used as a DAC too, HDCD. XLR outputs as well you will notice from back panel. Copper plated casework.

http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/toshdvd.htm

NADs new M55 Universal looks very interesting as well :

On sale shortly I believe and circa £1000.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

adam

Post imported post

HI RJD,

I'm in the same boat as you as Micromega dedicated transport is on it's last legs,shame as I've had it 10 years almost,so it's like a faithful old friend.The Meridian 500 I think is a good choice,but personally for a transport I don't want to go second hand,so I've 2 players in mind.

[align=center] First up is Vincent [/align]

adam

Post imported post

A very nice player at 600,Ive found one one offer for a decent price.

The other alternative is Vecteur,but i'd be dammed to find any real info on them,but they make a very highly regarded transport,it just over 1000€uros,if you find who sells the thing?French made.

Wammer

Post imported post

CJ - hmm TBH I don't like the DVD badge on the machine. It conjures up images of el -cheapo dvd drives you now find even in supermarkets.

I like the NAD though - looks tasty! Speaking of which you have introduced a great new idea.A universaldrive. That will mean I can do SACD's too... will that also be through the Dac or straight to the amp...

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

RJdio wrote:
    CJ - hmm TBH I don't like the DVD badge on the machine. It conjures up images of el -cheapo dvd drives you now find even in supermarkets.

I like the NAD though - looks tasty! Speaking of which you have introduced a great new idea.A universaldrive. That will mean I can do SACD's too... will that also be through the Dac or straight to the amp...
    Cheap and nasty !!!! pahhhh !!! that’s a solid silver holgraphic 3D badge – cheap !! cheap !! pahhhh. What you talking about ?

http://www.wvip.co.uk/images/hardware/DVDPlayers/Toshiba/ToshibaSD-9500.jpg

oooooooohhhh what a tray feel the love of that mech bro !!!

Universal wise RJ, SACD & DVD-A from the player. Eveything else can be routed towards the DAC. Although watching DVD films with the 4 second buffer delay will be interesting.

Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Wammer

Post imported post

LOL CJ, no pun intended. Im sure its a fine machine. Any other suggestions ?

The Americans have brands like Theta, Wadia,Mc Cormack etc. Any word on how these perform.

Effem

Post imported post

There's a chap selling a Bow Wizard complete with wand on hi fi for sale asking £1200 for it.

Gorgeous looking, great sounding (so I'm told ;)) and you could really hit the jackpot by not needing the DAC64 any more either.

I've got a Krell top loading transport after owning a Wadia oneand I know which I prefer. Running it into a Monarchy Audio M-22 DAC and it's a lot less harsh sounding than the Chord 64is to my ears. Feckin' sight cheaper too

Post imported post

If you don't have many sacd hdcd discs or need a dvd player, i'd countenance going for a DVD player, as the discs take longer to load up, go for a s/h cdp with preferably an electrical out, that seems to be the preffered option from what I can glean from others who have gone the same route, as you already have dac, a one box player may not be the best option, but if it was me thats what I'd go for a good second hand model one box player.

Effem

Post imported post

Don't recall the man asking for a DVD transport . . . . . . . . . ? Ah, Colin again singing the Tosh's praises

Add to the list of possibilities in the 'proper' transport league, look out for a CEC belt driveor Audiomeca Mephistotransport too

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

sell the DAC 64, pool your money together, and get the Marantz CD7 thats on hifi for sale atm.

mmmmmmmmmm

also, how about the CD23 'musiclink' Marantz player thats on hifiguy.co.uk at the minute? Quite a rare/obscure item with a top loading mech, that should hold its value extrememly well?

Effem

Post imported post

Cor yes, with double "silver crown" DAC chips. Which soppy dipstick decreed they should stop making them?

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Effem wrote:
    Don't recall the man asking for a DVD transport . . . . . . . . . ? Ah, Colin again singing the Tosh's praises

Add to the list of possibilities in the 'proper' transport league, look out for a CEC belt driveor Audiomeca Mephistotransport too
    'Proper' do me a favour !!!! :dude:

Frank it regularly amazes me that a battleship DVD player like the Toshiba is never considered by “CD Transport” only DAC users. You rarely see it mentioned (I try to do my bit as you know ;)), and as a lot of CDT users are overly concerned about jitter et al, a 40 spec machine. I bet you most “dedicated” CDTs have jitter specs way in excess of 40 picosecs. But this is the wacky world of audiophilia will inhabit. I mean a Toshiba DVd player having the same jitter specs as Theta David CD/DVD transport never. The David is 40-45 actually higher.

http://www.thetadigital.com/upsampling.htm

I like that 40 spec jitter measurement BTW, as I love telling Woody anytime I get the chance (here is another one just for Woody ), Naim have long suggested that they don’t include a digital output due to jitter effects on their machines. Well their CD5 has been measure as having 100 spec of jitter. So if Toshiba can manage it on a DVD player whats stopping Naim from designing such a player. In the same test FWIW I recall a Quad 99 CDPre – as measuring 1000 spec, a Inca Katana 700 spec. And with the amount of people who like these devices its good to see jitters audability affecting their views.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

the CD63KI probably has jitter off the charts, but I still love the sound it produces. Is jitter really the be all and end all when it comes to cd playback?

Post imported post

Biscuit wrote:
    the CD63KI probably has jitter off the charts, but I still love the sound it produces. Is jitter really the be all and end all when it comes to cd playback?
    prolly not, but then you can't measure enjoyment, spex shmex

Real Name
     Testy
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD2010
    T/Arm & Cart
     AO250, 2m Red
    SUT/Phono
     Slee Era V Gold
    Digital Source 1
     Pioneer DVL919
    Digital Source 2
     Tascam DA-20 MkII
    DAC
     Luxman DA-100
    Integrated Amp
     Stello Ai500
    Speakers
     Aurelia Ambera
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Effem wrote:
    Cor yes, with double "silver crown" DAC chips. Which soppy dipstick decreed they should stop making them?

Yep the Philips TDA-1541A (Double-crown) is still regarded by many as the best 16bit dac made. The muppet marketing men, decided that single bit bitstream would be better in the late 80's (also cheaper to produce) , so future mult-bit designs where halted by Philips. Luckliy KI found enough for the CD-7 project

Not going to disagree with the CD-7 (as I've got one :raoflmfao: ), you could use it as a transport (which is very well builtusing a Philips CD-Pro mech), butyou will be missing out on thewonderful DAC on-board, which can also beaccessed by otherequipment, via the 2 digital inputs as well.

The CD-23 would also make a fine transport as it's based around the Philips CDM9 Pro Mech (swing-arm) with a magnetic puck. The dac isn't as special as found in the CD-7 though, as it uses the bitstream DAC-7.

clean gloves hide dirty hands

Wammer

Post imported post

Effem wrote:

I've got a Krell top loading transport after owning a Wadia oneand I know which I prefer.
    Frank,
    I'd like to point out you had a 13/14 year old very early Wadia transport, comparing it against your current Krell, I would agree with your statement.
    Now how about comparing it to an equally priced and aged Wadia 20/8?
    Mr.C
    Distributor/stockists of Audio Physics/Art Loudspeakers/Belles /Bel canto/Black Ravioli/Coherent-Systems cabling /Esoteric/Focal Loudspeakers/Heco loudspeakers/Puresound/Revolver Loudspeakers/RPG Panels/Still points/Townshend audio

Effem

Post imported post

Keep meaning to pop up and see you Tone, will bring the Krell with me when I do

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Biscuit wrote:
    Biscuit, I dont think jitter is the be all & end all TBH, As I mentioned plenty of people love the sound of that Quad 99 unit.

But

When it comes to tlaking about "proper" transports as Frank alluded to earlier, then that's when notice should be taken to jitter specs IMO at least we have something concrete to compare against, I mean Im comparing a Toshiba DVD player albeit a high end deck, to a £4000 CD/DVD transport from Theta.

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I favour tele transportation. If all else fails Ebay Krell MD10 is very very nice. Mark Levinson CDT's even 10 years old are rock solid too.