Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post imported post

ErikfH wrote:
    onion wrote:
    looks superve, , still worth the money, pre-amp output so you can bi-amp if you wish in the future, what is the rest of your system? if i may ask.
    Sure. Long time MF-ian anyway but currently: X-Ray V3 cdp, A5 pre / A308 power, Dyn 1.3 SE, VdH cabling. Bought A5 pre-pow last year for the speakersbut wasn´t fully satisfied with it. Very fast and detailed but somewhat cold and forward and not so smooth in my situation. Tried the A308 insteadand although both rated 250 watt, the308 appeared an improvement over theA5 in the latter´s ´weaker´areas. Recently tried a 308 pre, again a big improvement over the A5 pre.Tried thespeakers then with aNu-Vista and Tri-Vista with stunning results. Surely no overkill for the current hungry Dyns.Think MF and Dynaudio go very welltogether. The guy owning the Tr-Vistawill swap hisAvalonsfor some Dyns.:dude:
    they do , the nu-vista m3, i prefer over the tri. but that's my preference, goes good with dyns. regards, also try pro-acs, ta.:dude:

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Erik
    Digital Source 1
     MF X-Ray v3
    Integrated Amp
     MF 308 pre/power
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.3SE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

onion wrote:
    they do , the nu-vista m3, i prefer over the tri. but that's my preference, goes good with dyns. regards, also try pro-acs, ta.:dude:
    Heard that before. Should maybe take the plunge. There weretwo left last month. MF changed his design philosophy with introduction of the A3.2/308 (and Tri-Vista) series into a more neutral (lesser warm) and tighter/faster sound. The latter is something I appreciate when driving the Dyns in my reverberating room. The M3 will control bassbut am not looking for'round/softened' bass as mentioned by Stereophile in it's review. With the Tri-Vista (amp and SACDP and luxurious Harmonic Technology cabling) it sounded perfect.Owner told it took a few months of continuously break-in before it sounded this good.Hehad the M3 combo before anddidn't hear much difference between those two apart from a little more detail and refinement.

Thanks for the rec. and already understood pro-acworks well with MF too,but will stick to themighty and great looking Dyns. Only ambition would beeven better equipment togetthem better sounding.

What speakersis your nu-vista combo drivingsir?

Post imported post

ErikfH wrote:
    onion wrote:
    Heard that before. Should maybe take the plunge. There weretwo left last month. MF changed his design philosophy with introduction of the A3.2/308 (and Tri-Vista) series into a more neutral (lesser warm) and tighter/faster sound. The latter is something I appreciate when driving the Dyns in my reverberating room. The M3 will control bassbut am not looking for'round/softened' bass as mentioned by Stereophile in it's review. With the Tri-Vista (amp and SACDP and luxurious Harmonic Technology cabling) it sounded perfect.Owner told it took a few months of continuously break-in before it sounded this good.Hehad the M3 combo before anddidn't hear much difference between those two apart from a little more detail and refinement.

Thanks for the rec. and already understood pro-acworks well with MF too,but will stick to themighty and great looking Dyns. Only ambition would beeven better equipment togetthem better sounding.

many years ago "circa" 1990, my friend and his father used to co-own castle speakers in skipton, to cut a story short, they made a special pair of winchesters for me, and i still use them, all the people that come here , inc. my wifes women friends love them, they are to me my pride and joy,prior to them i had tannoy berkley's,regards,onion.

Post imported post

ErikfH wrote:
    onion wrote:

many years ago "circa" 1990, my friend and his father used to co-own castle speakers in skipton, to cut a story short, they made a special pair of winchesters for me, and i still use them, all the people that come here , inc. my wifes women friends love them, they are to me my pride and joy,prior to them i had tannoy berkley's,regards,onion.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Erik
    Digital Source 1
     MF X-Ray v3
    Integrated Amp
     MF 308 pre/power
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.3SE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

onion wrote:
    Even more limited than the Nu-Vista's then. Never change a winning combination etc. Thanks for the comments.

Post imported post

ErikfH wrote:
    onion wrote:
    Even more limited than the Nu-Vista's then. Never change a winning combination etc. Thanks for the comments.
    thank you,

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gordon
    Turn Table
     Pro-ject RPM5 SE
    SUT/Phono
     Luxman E-200
    Digital Source 1
     EMM Labs CDSDse
    Digital Source 2
     MAC Mini + Hiface
    DAC
     EMM Labs DCC2 se
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    Pre Amp
     Nuforce P20
    Power Amp
     Nuforce Ref 18
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well...... I must say MF only featured with HFNews.... not the rest. I'm a regualar subscriber to HFC and to say the least I feel a bit strange MF being omited altogether but brands like Krell/Bryston or even Sim Audio made it.

It's a matter of taste whether you like or like to bash MF's products. I've been using (or still using) quite a few MF components and I must say value for money, MF is sometimes hard to beat - but - again, Hi-Fi really is a matter of personal taste. very hard to say one brand is superior over the other.

The way I build up my current system is from speakers, as I've decided ProAc Response 1 SC fitted my requirements. I did auditioned Naim 5i and CD 5iwith the ProAc Response 1 SC to start off with, however, once I switched to amp to MF A5, there's no going back. The extra oomph of 250wpc makes the drive and timing better - I'm not saying Naim's no good - just my perference.

There're also a lot of debate about the worthiness of the small X's - X10v3, x-DAC v3 and X-PSUv3. (Hay, that's the last MF product being reviewed by HFC...somtime May05 issue?). I did use them, but reason being that I purchased the X-10v3/PSU for connecting my iPod. Then after my Copland CDA266 has given up the ghost, I purchased the Marantz (future-proof?), and i added to DAC to see the difference. The three pieces of kit do enhance the sound of CD replay.

So there's no right or wrong with MF - if you have MF gears and enjoy them, then what's all the fuss?

My System: MF A5 Integrated/Marantz DV9600/MF X-10v3;X-PSUv3;X-DACv3/NAD 533/Cambridge Audio T500/ProAc Response 1SC+Foundation Designer II/XLO Ultra Interconnects+coaxial

Hi-Fi is an addiction.

Wammer

Post imported post

"it's awesome in silver, i know someone who has one , mine is with the gold trims but i don't mind, but i tell you it looks good. sexsy."

Onion you ain't doing yourself any favours at all

Wammer

Post imported post

Godlau unless the MF product you refer to is the size of a large bass guitar amp, it is not producing 250w per channel.

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Mulidine Allegretto
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

godlau wrote:
    Well...... I must say MF only featured with HFNews.... not the rest. I'm a regualar subscriber to HFC and to say the least I feel a bit strange MF being omited altogether but brands like Krell/Bryston or even Sim Audio made it.

It's a matter of taste whether you like or like to bash MF's products. I've been using (or still using) quite a few MF components and I must say value for money, MF is sometimes hard to beat - but - again, Hi-Fi really is a matter of personal taste. very hard to say one brand is superior over the other.

The way I build up my current system is from speakers, as I've decided ProAc Response 1 SC fitted my requirements. I did auditioned Naim 5i and CD 5iwith the ProAc Response 1 SC to start off with, however, once I switched to amp to MF A5, there's no going back. The extra oomph of 250wpc makes the drive and timing better - I'm not saying Naim's no good - just my perference.

There're also a lot of debate about the worthiness of the small X's - X10v3, x-DAC v3 and X-PSUv3. (Hay, that's the last MF product being reviewed by HFC...somtime May05 issue?). I did use them, but reason being that I purchased the X-10v3/PSU for connecting my iPod. Then after my Copland CDA266 has given up the ghost, I purchased the Marantz (future-proof?), and i added to DAC to see the difference. The three pieces of kit do enhance the sound of CD replay.

So there's no right or wrong with MF - if you have MF gears and enjoy them, then what's all the fuss?

My System: MF A5 Integrated/Marantz DV9600/MF X-10v3;X-PSUv3;X-DACv3/NAD 533/Cambridge Audio T500/ProAc Response 1SC+Foundation Designer II/XLO Ultra Interconnects+coaxial

If you read the letters page in last months HFC you will not only have had teh pleasure of reading some of my handy work;) but also a letter and response hinting strongly to the fact that MF don't send their kit to HFC as they are worried about the bench testing results.

Welcome to the Tent by the way

Wammer
    Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     In storage
    Digital Source 1
     None at the moment
    Integrated Amp
     Technics SU-MA10
    Speakers
     Kef R-107
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

garyi wrote:
    Godlau unless the MF product you refer to is the size of a large bass guitar amp, it is not producing 250w per channel.
    According to MF specs the A5 integrated produces 250w into 8ohms.

I have to say though , there is not much of a toridial in the case, my Classe has one about twice that size, with more electronics and only produces 100w into 8ohm/200w into 4ohm/400w into 2ohm and something nice as a mono block.

The Nu-vista 300 power I had produced 300 into 8ohm and was over twice the real estate of the Classe and MF A5, though by Nu-vista 300 standard my Krell seems small for 250w plus per channel.(though the Krell draws more watts at 1800w plus power consumtion from the mains, more than the Nu-vista 300 I think ?)

What is the A5 power consumtion ? (the 400w into four and plenty of current at 75 amps dont quite help out here, though only 400w into 4ohm seems poor considering the current, I would have been more impressed with 500w. Transformer too little ? ;))
    STILL WANTED.. REMOTE CONTROL FOR A TEAC VRDS T-1 CD TRANSPORT! Me\'s lost mine...

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gordon
    Turn Table
     Pro-ject RPM5 SE
    SUT/Phono
     Luxman E-200
    Digital Source 1
     EMM Labs CDSDse
    Digital Source 2
     MAC Mini + Hiface
    DAC
     EMM Labs DCC2 se
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    Pre Amp
     Nuforce P20
    Power Amp
     Nuforce Ref 18
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well...for A5 integrated official spec, the peak power consumption is 700W.... Actually I wasn't saying A5 is v.v.v. powerful....(one doesn't hv to look far....MF Kw500 integrated...anyone?), I'm just saying it does have that bit more power than Naim 5i in driving/controlling my ProAc R1 SC.

Krell 400xi is no doubt very powerful but I found it not as refined as A5 (my taste again).....

Actually, I have sometimes sneaked back my NAD S-300 into the system as I really do love it....but the hum is getting very intolerable at times....especially listening to the likes of Chopin Nocturnes! (That's the reason why the 2 massive toridials need replacement. irritating problem and wallet drainingly expensive to replave!)

Hi-Fi is an addiction.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gordon
    Turn Table
     Pro-ject RPM5 SE
    SUT/Phono
     Luxman E-200
    Digital Source 1
     EMM Labs CDSDse
    Digital Source 2
     MAC Mini + Hiface
    DAC
     EMM Labs DCC2 se
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    Pre Amp
     Nuforce P20
    Power Amp
     Nuforce Ref 18
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I also remember that letter in HFC.... I think MF now are days are more Asian mkt oriented.... KW SACD players has a limited production run and suprise suprise, half of the batch were sold in Hong Kong apparently.

At the end of the day, we have to trust our earswhen make a purchase(well and look after my ever shrinking wallet! :Not Sure

Of course if I have stacks more cash I would have purchased something far more sexy and exotic..... For Amp, I might go for T+A/Jadis/Halcro, digital source maybe from DCS or Esoteric and speakers from Martin Logan......... ( I need to win the rollover jackpot soon!)
    Hi-Fi is an addiction.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Erik
    Digital Source 1
     MF X-Ray v3
    Integrated Amp
     MF 308 pre/power
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.3SE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

godlau wrote:
    (Hay, that's the last MF product being reviewed by HFC...somtime May05 issue?).
    KW500 Integrated-SACD combo were reviewedin Jan 06 issue. Copy can be found on MF website.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Erik
    Digital Source 1
     MF X-Ray v3
    Integrated Amp
     MF 308 pre/power
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.3SE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Sastusbulbas wrote:
    garyi wrote:
    According to MF specs the A5 integrated produces 250w into 8ohms.

I have to say though , there is not much of a toridial in the case, my Classe has one about twice that size, with more electronics and only produces 100w into 8ohm/200w into 4ohm/400w into 2ohm and something nice as a mono block.

The Nu-vista 300 power I had produced 300 into 8ohm and was over twice the real estate of the Classe and MF A5, though by Nu-vista 300 standard my Krell seems small for 250w plus per channel.(though the Krell draws more watts at 1800w plus power consumtion from the mains, more than the Nu-vista 300 I think ?)

What is the A5 power consumtion ? (the 400w into four and plenty of current at 75 amps dont quite help out here, though only 400w into 4ohm seems poor considering the current, I would have been more impressed with 500w. Transformer too little ? ;))

A German mag measured output ofabout 195/315W at 4/8 ohm for A5 integrated. MF nominates various designs 250-300 Watt: Nu-Vista power (8 output devices per channel), Nu-Vista integrated (6 outputs), 308 Power (6 outputs), A5 power (8 outputs) A5 integrated (4 outputs).

NV integrated has 1200 or 1400 watt (they use both numbers) maximum consumption, A308 1000w,Both A5´s (having only one transformer) 700W.

A308 Power:

Other 250W designs:

Advantage S 250 mono

Primare A32 (stereo):

Wammer

Post imported post

Gaffer74 wrote:
    Hi Fi world seems to love them.

It always makes me laugh when I see "positive" MF reviews, and then piccies of opened boxes with acres upon acres of empty space and maybe a couple of wires or so inside

(I own MF headphone amp myself and console myself with the fact that it's one of the few that's actually full of "things" ;))
    Hey, that makes em laugh as well... esp. now as I have sold ALL of my Musical Fidelity kit and don't plan on revisiting MF ownership again.

Saying that, I don't know why it matters whether their boxes are full to the brim or empty - it's the sound that counts, right?

The MF A5 kit I had was very good but I am slowly progressing (or trying to progress) towards a system that will stay with me for a long time.

What bemuses me most is the fact the MF get slagged off quite often when I feel they make good sounding kit at affordable(ish) prices... isn't that what most of us want?

In term of the content of boxes, I don't think MF are the only manufacturer to sell 'air'... have you seen the insides of the new Meridian G06?

And Meridian use some really nasty DVD ROM drives...

...I recently heard the Meridian 808 Reference (didn't like it one bit - should add it to the worst kit listened to) but the build was impressive UNTIL...

...the CD drawer popped out... really FLIMSY, CHEAP & NASTY drawer on the flagship product...

...I just hope Bothroyd/ Stuartdon't lean on the drawer when sticking their SIGS on the 808, 'cos I'm certain the drawer would just fall off.

MF's 'air ' in solid casework at GBP 1,500 gets loads of comments.

Meridian's GBP 8,250 flagship CD player with the crappest cd drawer I've ever experienced anywhere (including the cheapest rip off markets selling SANY - not SONY - here in Riyadh) should attract more attention, I think, 'cos it's just plain poor.
    Too much is not enough.

Wammer

Post imported post

It may be producing 250 watts but people are forgetting the oh so important distortion in the equation.

There is no way a standard hifi sized box is able to deliver 250 watts with the required transients and no distortion.

Most hifi from dixons claims 200-1000 watts, its not lying, but anything over 30 watts and it will be distorted to hell.

Wammer

Post imported post

Incidentally I have no idea of the wattage of a nait 5i, I was not defending it, I was just saying its unlikely you would be able to use your amp at 250 watts, or even 60 watts.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Gordon
    Turn Table
     Pro-ject RPM5 SE
    SUT/Phono
     Luxman E-200
    Digital Source 1
     EMM Labs CDSDse
    Digital Source 2
     MAC Mini + Hiface
    DAC
     EMM Labs DCC2 se
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    Pre Amp
     Nuforce P20
    Power Amp
     Nuforce Ref 18
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

well....agreed though...... not necessarily until I'm turning my HiFi into a PA system that I will use all the 250W.....

.....I think oneday i shall try the other end of the spectrum.... feed my 1SC with some feeble watts....of course from some very classy tube amps!

Hi-Fi is an addiction.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     In storage
    Digital Source 1
     None at the moment
    Integrated Amp
     Technics SU-MA10
    Speakers
     Kef R-107
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

According to HiFi News my own 250w per channel amp gives around 300+ watts @ 8ohms per channel, more than enough for my 4ohm resistive full range speakers.(though I would still prefer a Bryston 14b or Krell FPB 600)

What I find interesting though is that I have to turn the Krell pre up more than the Audio Research I used to use.

I have also noticed that when one has a better quality amp with less distortion at volume, it can seem to be lacking in output due to it being so clean .(until you burn out a driver)

STILL WANTED.. REMOTE CONTROL FOR A TEAC VRDS T-1 CD TRANSPORT! Me\'s lost mine...