Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well, this week I have been running around in the bizarrely named Kia Cee'd. What is the missing letter? Who knows. This is the beastie:

The styling is generic far-eastern hatchback: take the badges off and it could be a Toyota, Hyundai or Chevrolaewoo. The one I had was a GS,lower-spec than the picture with plainer wheels and no front fogs. It was painted in a horrid shade of metallic dark beige that Kia call "English Pewter." A colleague called it "baby poo."

Inside was a fest of unrelieved blackness, a bit like Golfs used to be a couple of years ago. Most of the dash - and oddly the steering wheel boss - was clad in a soft-feel vinyl material uncannily like that used in, er, the Golf. So far so good then - except that where the soft vinyl was broken by instrument and switchgear pods, these were made from the cheapest possible Airfix-grade plastic, in various shades of off-black. This cheap plastic was also used on the door pulls and centre console. Nasty.

What about the touchy-feely bits? The wheel was small, fat and bound in leather. Looked sporty then! Just an illusion, as we will see... The seats were hard, unyeilding and clad in a scratchy black nylon fabric. Again, the Mk IV Golf came vividly to mind. Do you see a pattern emerging here? The gear knob was a hard, poorly-shaped device made of silver and black plastics; minor switchgear had a cheap action and was poorly labelled and difficult to find. I never did work out the trip computer... Overall: see'dy.

So, how was it to drive? I had the "standard power" 1.6 turbodiesel in mine, with 90 bhp. The next model up has a 110 bhp version of the same, and the top of the range Sport a 2.0 litre turbodiesel. Petrol engines are available for OAPs, as is automatic transmission.

The 90 bhp diesel was fairly typical of old-school small diesels. Noisy at tickover, no power at all below 1500 rpm, then a little bit of turbo boost up to 3000 rpm where it hits the diesel "brick wall" and just gasps breathlessly until you change up. 3000 rpm is about 90 mph in top (5th) so that is effectively the top speed. Acceleration is fair, although you have to get the gearchanges just so to keep it in the powerband. The red line was at 5000 rpm, I don't think you'd get there unless you were being towed! On the whole: wee'dy.

Handling? Ride? Hmm. At low speeds it felt quite responsive to the wheel, although apart from a slight rubberiness around the mid-point, the wheel was as dead and numb as a computer driving game. This seems to be how modern drivers want it; maybe it's the playstation generation. Did someone say Golf? So no indication to the driver of lateral movements of the tyres .... vertical movements are different matter, the hard and under-damped suspension faithfully transmitting every ripple through the hard seats to your bum. Lovely.

All very German, yet again. In some German cars (BMW), this hard suspension is the price you pay for quick turn-in and precise control through the twisty bits. Sadly Kia have followed the VAG path, and any attempt to press on reveals calamitous understeer and lots of jerky bouncing around.

Space was OK for the class, although the boot had a typically far-eastern high loading lip. The stereo was adequate. Economy seemed fine, using no more or less fuel than all the other diesels I regularly thrash up to Wigan and back.

Overall:

For: cheap Korean copy of Mk IV Golf
    Against: cheap Korean copy of Mk IV Golf
    Summary: basic transport for the nee'dy.

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     CA DAC Magic
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Bladelius (Advantage
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

A great Ree'd as usual John. Wonderful

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

This is the rental i've been offered in Cyprus for my summer hols . Will it do John. I don't plan any hairpins in the Trudos mountains for your guide.
    First pressings son !

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Duvet wrote:
    This is the rental i've been offered in Cyprus for my summer hols . Will it do John. I don't plan any hairpins in the Trudos mountains for your guide.
    I hope those Cypriot roads are nice and smooth - the ride is very bumpy. Even on the motorway I could hear stuff jumping about in the boot...

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well its only for two weeks . I've driven worse i'm sure
    First pressings son !

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'm sure you'll love it.

Take care when manoeuvering: reverse is above first (like old Fords) and the collar-style detent (like old Vauxhalls) is weak. You must double-declutch to get reverse or you'll end up in first by mistake...

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Like Wiggerz sez - top stuff you really should have a motoring column in a national newspaper - I larfed so hard I Pee'd a bit...