Audio Emotion Evolution Audio Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     1,825
    Location
     Norn Iron, , United

    Post imported post

    Hi



    Why do some manufacturers use 3 feet on their equipment instead of 4? And what do people feel is the most stable.



    As a non scientist it seems a no-brainer that having ‘4’ supports would be inherently more stable than a tripod. My old Rega Planar 3 was certainly less stable than other decks I owned with quad feet.



    BTW this was being debated on the Naim website. This poor bloke who said 3 was better than 4 was being flamed down as a heretic & non believer because if JV put 4 supports on his kit then, verily 4 it is.



    GofA

  2. #2
    Founding Wammer
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     6,548
    Location
     Cambs, , United King
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    i always thought 3 feet was better :sw:

    not entirely sure why though, I'm sure there is some psedo-scienve to back up both arguements though

  3. #3
    Super Sausage penance's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     3,771
    Location
     Disappearing up my o
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    I think mainly 3 feet are preferable due to ease of levelling.



    $ feet can be levelled aswell, just easier with 3.
    I got the napalm blues, from my green tin hat to my combat boots
    Hill 1098, Nui Ba-Na \'67

  4. #4
    Effem
    Guest

    Post imported post

    If you have any doubts about which is the most stable between 3 legs and 4 then do as I did and gentlyprod two loaded up racks in a hi-fi dealers and see which one sways around. The tripod stand swayed and actually twisted much to my horror whereas the four legged job was perfectly stable. Bear in mind too that the four legged variety was taller than the tripod stand.

    So why make tripod stands? Less welding, quicker and cheaper to build ;)

  5. #5
    Umberto
    Guest

    Post imported post

    My Primare D30.1 Mk1 CD player has 4 feet and the newer Mk2 has 3 feet. Not sure if its any better though.

  6. #6
    Wammer RichardG's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     2,089
    Location
     Cardiff, , United Ki
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Ambient
    T/Arm & Cart
     Satisy/Ort MC5000
    SUT/Phono
     LFD MC1
    Digital Source 1
     Pathos Endorphin
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Sony QS Minidisc
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Zu Omen Def II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    As an engineer (civil/structural not electronic/electrical) - 3 points of support is ALWAYS preferable to 4.

    Reason: This is known as Hambly's Paradox. Ask (most) people which is stronger - 3 or 4 legs on a table, they'll nearly always say 4 legs. Logically all the weight (mass) distributed four-ways rather than 3 means that less strength is required in each of the legs which has got to be better?

    Uh - not always. If you put your table (or CD player) on a surface that is not entirely level it will rock. At some point two of the legs will be up in the air as the table rocks back and forth, at which point it is supported only by the other 2 legs on the ground. So the weight whichwas designed to bedistributed through 4 points of support (legs) is now only distributed through 2 points of support, effectively increasing the load by 100%.

    If you only have three points of support, this CANNOT happen, the load is always distributed by the three points (but not necessarily equally obv.), and therefore determinable, and therefore can be designed. Anything less than 3 points of support obviously means the thing falls down.

    If the three points of support are correctly designed, they will always be more stable. The clever bit is in the design of those three legs.

    Camera tripods? Theodolites? Surveying levels?

    Of course this is not the same as being level! Having set up a fair few levels and theodolites in my time, I can confirm why thy have three levelling screws and not four!

    Sorry to get all logical on your ass, but them's the physical facts!

    (waits to get shot down in flamessssssssss)

    "It's so dense and dark there isn't a colour to describe it. It's not black. It's darker than that" - Jimmy Page, When The Levee Breaks Alternate UK Mix October 2014

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Duvet's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     17,908
    Location
     sarf london
    Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    penance wrote:
    I think mainly 3 feet are preferable due to ease of levelling.



    $ feet can be levelled aswell, just easier with 3.

    wot he said
    First pressings son !

  8. #8
    Effem
    Guest

    Post imported post

    RichardG wrote:
    As an engineer (civil/structural not electronic/electrical) - 3 points of support is ALWAYS preferable to 4.

    Reason: This is known as Hambly's Paradox. Ask (most) people which is stronger - 3 or 4 legs on a table, they'll nearly always say 4 legs. Logically all the weight (mass) distributed four-ways rather than 3 means that less strength is required in each of the legs which has got to be better?

    Uh - not always. If you put your table (or CD player) on a surface that is not entirely level it will rock. At some point two of the legs will be up in the air as the table rocks back and forth, at which point it is supported only by the other 2 legs on the ground. So the weight whichwas designed to bedistributed through 4 points of support (legs) is now only distributed through 2 points of support, effectively increasing the load by 100%.

    If you only have three points of support, this CANNOT happen, the load is always distributed by the three points (but not necessarily equally obv.), and therefore determinable, and therefore can be designed. Anything less than 3 points of support obviously means the thing falls down.

    If the three points of support are correctly designed, they will always be more stable. The clever bit is in the design of those three legs.

    Camera tripods? Theodolites? Surveying levels?

    Of course this is not the same as being level! Having set up a fair few levels and theodolites in my time, I can confirm why thy have three levelling screws and not four!

    Sorry to get all logical on your ass, but them's the physical facts!

    (waits to get shot down in flamessssssssss)

    I was talking about swaying and rocking within the rack itself,not with reference to the load bearing pointson the floor with using 3 legs.







  9. #9
    Wammer RichardG's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     2,089
    Location
     Cardiff, , United Ki
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Ambient
    T/Arm & Cart
     Satisy/Ort MC5000
    SUT/Phono
     LFD MC1
    Digital Source 1
     Pathos Endorphin
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Sony QS Minidisc
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Zu Omen Def II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Indeed, but as I was typing my rambling missive, he beat me to it!

    As far as wobbly racks go - that's nowt to do with 3 or 4 legs, it's to do with how well it's been designed and put together!


    "It's so dense and dark there isn't a colour to describe it. It's not black. It's darker than that" - Jimmy Page, When The Levee Breaks Alternate UK Mix October 2014

  10. #10
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     1,825
    Location
     Norn Iron, , United

    Post imported post

    RichardG wrote:
    As an engineer (civil/structural not electronic/electrical) - 3 points of support is ALWAYS preferable to 4.

    Reason: This is known as Hambly's Paradox. Ask (most) people which is stronger - 3 or 4 legs on a table, they'll nearly always say 4 legs. Logically all the weight (mass) distributed four-ways rather than 3 means that less strength is required in each of the legs which has got to be better?

    Uh - not always. If you put your table (or CD player) on a surface that is not entirely level it will rock. At some point two of the legs will be up in the air as the table rocks back and forth, at which point it is supported only by the other 2 legs on the ground. So the weight whichwas designed to bedistributed through 4 points of support (legs) is now only distributed through 2 points of support, effectively increasing the load by 100%.

    If you only have three points of support, this CANNOT happen, the load is always distributed by the three points (but not necessarily equally obv.), and therefore determinable, and therefore can be designed. Anything less than 3 points of support obviously means the thing falls down.

    If the three points of support are correctly designed, they will always be more stable. The clever bit is in the design of those three legs.

    Camera tripods? Theodolites? Surveying levels?

    Of course this is not the same as being level! Having set up a fair few levels and theodolites in my time, I can confirm why thy have three levelling screws and not four!

    Sorry to get all logical on your ass, but them's the physical facts!

    (waits to get shot down in flamessssssssss)
    Hi Richard,

    As I said I'm a scientific ignoramus - my physics teacher begged me not to carry the subject beyond 3rd year, while my chemistry teacher threatened me with a bunsen burner up my darkest cavity - but if Hambly's Paradox is fire-proof why do bridges havefour legs not 3. Though I understand your point about the inadvisability of 2 wobbly legs - I think...

    Andwhy do speaker stands have 4 spikes instead of 3?

    Frank,

    You are a cynic after my own heart

    Totally off subject, I'm so pissed off with myself. As I have said, my system is in the attic - low sloping roof, joists, uneven floorboards. It's quite difficult finding the 'sweet-spot' for my Operas. But the thing is I can never leave well alone. So in a moment of weakness I thought I'd move the speakers slightly to see if I could firm up the soundstage -45 mins later the soundstageis buggered &thesibilance (sic) is worse than Jonathon Woss without his false teeth. I am so fucking stupid

    Off to bang his head off the wall, GofA


  11. #11
    Wammer Gaffer's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     313
    Location
     South Blighty, , Uni
    Turn Table
     Pro-Ject Xperience 2
    T/Arm & Cart
     9c & Ortfn MC15 mkII
    SUT/Phono
     GramAmp 2 Comm & PLZ
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i
    Digital Source 2
     Technics ST-3500
    DAC
     Audinst HUD-mini
    Integrated Amp
     PrimaLuna Prologue 2
    Speakers
     Quad 12L
    Pre Amp
     MF X-Cans
    Power Amp
     BKElec XLS200
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    My Jamo Tripos rack has 4 spikes, two of which are so close together at the "apex" as to really be considered 1 leg.



    wobbles all over the place like a fat cows arse

    which just proves that 4 legs pretending to be three is the worst of all



    need to upgrade it soon (one of those four legged quadraspires looks nice)

  12. #12
    Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     15,276
    Location
     scotland
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    was considered the norm not that long ago to always use 3 blods of blu tack, not 4 under your spks cos of what Richard said. With which I agree. Also agree that internal wobbles just mean crap build quality. In nature, I think I'm right in saying that the hexagon is one of the commonest rigid structures (honeycomb for example) and a hexagon is of course just 5 triangles joined together... buckminster fuller used these principles to create the geodisic dome a simple but very rigid thing ... a bit like.....
    still just watching clouds

  13. #13
    Guest

    Post imported post

    In Nature an science a tripod is usually more secure, but usually used with a structure that had a realtively wide base, and low centre of gravity, the problem I feel with tripods in hifi is the shapes of the boxes, and their weight distribution, speakers are often tall and heavy at the top, this is not a problem if a force is exerted towards one of the points, however half way between two points and push, and it's often not stable at all. With children around, I personally will allways settle for 4 points.

    The best thing I find with 3 legs with respect to Hifi is it's asy to get a platform not to rock, with 4 points this is harder but no means impossible, best to get levelish on 3 points, and then lower the 4th poiint till it touches ground.

  14. #14
    Wammer RichardG's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     2,089
    Location
     Cardiff, , United Ki
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Ambient
    T/Arm & Cart
     Satisy/Ort MC5000
    SUT/Phono
     LFD MC1
    Digital Source 1
     Pathos Endorphin
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Sony QS Minidisc
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Zu Omen Def II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    GofA

    Indeed!

    Bridges and stuff don't need to be stiff / rigid (if fact it's essential that they aren't). With all the applied forces they sustain (cars, wind, water, thermal) they need to be flexible otherwise they just break. So the stiffness requirement becomes less of an issue.

    As far as why speaker stands and wotnot having four spikes not three - I dunno...maybe speaker stand engineers are not as clever as civil engineers (mieow!!!)

    "My Jamo Tripos rack has 4 spikes, two of which are so close together at the "apex" as to really be considered 1 leg.

    wobbles all over the place like a fat cows arse

    which just proves that 4 legs pretending to be three is the worst of all "

    GENIUS! Ever thought of a career in engineering?

    Dicky


    "It's so dense and dark there isn't a colour to describe it. It's not black. It's darker than that" - Jimmy Page, When The Levee Breaks Alternate UK Mix October 2014

  15. #15
    Cloffo I, King of Scots Cloth-Ears's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     20,516
    Location
     Scotchland
    Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Well, you can criticise me if you like, but I like one legged tables best. It just takes a bit of practice to use them.
    World's greatest hessian sack escapologist.

  16. #16
    Wammer
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     11,775
    Location
     , ,

    Post imported post

    Three should be better than four :dude:



    That said found this

  17. #17
    Wammer Gaffer's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     313
    Location
     South Blighty, , Uni
    Turn Table
     Pro-Ject Xperience 2
    T/Arm & Cart
     9c & Ortfn MC15 mkII
    SUT/Phono
     GramAmp 2 Comm & PLZ
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i
    Digital Source 2
     Technics ST-3500
    DAC
     Audinst HUD-mini
    Integrated Amp
     PrimaLuna Prologue 2
    Speakers
     Quad 12L
    Pre Amp
     MF X-Cans
    Power Amp
     BKElec XLS200
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    RichardG wrote:
    GENIUS! Ever thought of a career in engineering?







    Davewhityetagainwrote:

    Three should be better than four :dude:
    So why do I fall out of bed in the early hours then? ;)

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     8,680
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

    Post imported post

    analoguekid wrote:
    In Nature and science a tripod is usually more secure, ...
    This must be why the "Intelligent Designer" has given us so many 3-legged animals...?

    Also explains why so many of us are driving Reliant Robins, Morgan trikes and Bond Bugs - great cornering... :puke:

    Yup, 3 - definitely more stable...

    eofs

  19. #19
    Super Sausage penance's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     3,771
    Location
     Disappearing up my o
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    earl of sodbury wrote:
    analoguekid wrote:
    In Nature and science a tripod is usually more secure, ...
    This must be why the "Intelligent Designer" has given us so many 3-legged animals...?

    Also explains why so many of us are driving Reliant Robins, Morgan trikes and Bond Bugs - great cornering... :puke:

    Yup, 3 - definitely more stable...

    eofs



    I agree, AK's reasoning was BS, but mechanically 3 are easier to set up.
    I got the napalm blues, from my green tin hat to my combat boots
    Hill 1098, Nui Ba-Na \'67

  20. #20
    Guest

    Post imported post

    penance wrote:
    earl of sodbury wrote:
    analoguekid wrote:
    In Nature and science a tripod is usually more secure, ...
    This must be why the "Intelligent Designer" has given us so many 3-legged animals...?

    Also explains why so many of us are driving Reliant Robins, Morgan trikes and Bond Bugs - great cornering... :puke:

    Yup, 3 - definitely more stable...

    eofs



    I agree, AK's reasoning was BS, but mechanically 3 are easier to set up.
    funnily enough I was agreeing with the engineer, that must mean his assement is bullshit also. Oh well glad we have so many experts.



    But we are comparing different things, animals and cars are designed to move and be unstable as a result, 3 legged animals would have a harder time walking than 4 legged ones, so that analogy really stinks, perhaps instead of Nature I should have said engineering.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •