Audio Emotion  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Is Elements ok? I really, really don't want to have to fork out for the full version. Just for general photography work really.

    Edit: That should read 'Photoshop'.


    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  2. #2
    Super Wammer catcando's Avatar
    Join Date
     Apr 2007
    Posts
     998
    Location
     Cambridge
    Real Name
     Gregg
    Turn Table
     Oracle Delphi Mk II
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV/Benz Wood
    SUT/Phono
     Bob's Devices/in pre
    Digital Source 1
     Ayon CDT
    Digital Source 2
     SB Touch/ LIV-Zen
    DAC
     Ayon Stratos
    Speakers
     Magico V3
    Pre Amp
     ML 326S
    Power Amp
     ML 432
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    There is a copy of Elements 6 on Amazon for £20. It is the previous version, but I am sure it will do everything you need.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-System.../dp/B000VZEIOS
    Nothing is ever so bad, it can't get worse.

  3. #3
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    7's available for only £40 or so...
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  4. #4
    Wammer mosfet's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     5,981
    Location
     Surrey
    Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Ibanez
    T/Arm & Cart
     DiMarzio
    SUT/Phono
     EH Big Muff
    Integrated Amp
     Engl
    Speakers
     Celestion
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    For general photography, Elements will do everything you need - and some.



  5. #5
    Wammer
    Join Date
     May 2006
    Posts
     271
    Location
     Bath, United Kingdom

    Post imported post

    Best version? GIMP - it's free, very similar to photoshop and does for 99% of stuff I do. I'd urge you to give it a go before paying...nothing to lose if you don't like it.

    i_should_coco wrote:
    Is Elements ok? I really, really don't want to have to fork out for the full version. Just for general photography work really.

    Edit: That should read 'Photoshop'.


  6. #6
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    mac2006 wrote:
    Best version? GIMP - it's free, very similar to photoshop and does for 99% of stuff I do. I'd urge you to give it a go before paying...nothing to lose if you don't like it.

    i_should_coco wrote:
    Is Elements ok? I really, really don't want to have to fork out for the full version. Just for general photography work really.

    Edit: That should read 'Photoshop'.

    Ah, yes. I tried that a while back and found it hard work. Will try again...
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  7. #7
    Interstellar Overdriver Sumdumgi's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2008
    Posts
     2,539
    Location
     Durham
    Real Name
     Les
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Concept
    SUT/Phono
     Project SE II
    Digital Source 1
     Oppo BDP-103
    Digital Source 2
     Sonos/Synology DS214
    DAC
     Naim DAC-V1
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     PMC FB1i
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    i_should_coco wrote:
    Is Elements ok? I really, really don't want to have to fork out for the full version. Just for general photography work really.

    Edit: That should read 'Photoshop'.

    I think Elements 6 is OK and has some good facilities. It is very buggy however and Adobe have not released any updates to resolve these. It can be slow to load and the Organiser and Editor both have a tendency on occasions to 'time-out' or crash. Elements 7 does not seem a significant upgrade at all for the casual user - in fact my favourite version which worked seamlessly was 3.

    On balance it is a decent package though it can be quite irritaing at times. It is very memory hungry and a bit bloated as software goes though I still reckon it's pretty decent offering a fair proportion of Photoshop facilities for a fraction of the price. Despite it's failings it's still my editing program of choice.

    Try Picasa which is free asit may be sufficient for you. Simpler than Gimp and quite nifty for nowt .



  8. #8
    Owner Mr Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2006
    Posts
     16,136
    Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    I've got elements (not sure what version), CS2 and CS3 - but I just tend to use the DPP (software that came with my camera) as it does what I need it to do without grinding my laptop to a halt...
    this sig is intentionally blank...

  9. #9
    Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     15,238
    Location
     scotland
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    I use both elements and 2 and 3. I prefer the full photoshop, because I find the workflow more logical, but elements does do 80% of what photoshop does, but note it WONT read raw files from some cameras. JPEG's are fine. Enquire carefully before deciding I suggest.
    still just watching clouds

  10. #10
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    rockmeister wrote:
    I use both elements and 2 and 3. I prefer the full photoshop, because I find the workflow more logical, but elements does do 80% of what photoshop does, but note it WONT read raw files from some cameras. JPEG's are fine. Enquire carefully before deciding I suggest.
    JPEGs are the devil's work anyway - you can always process to TIFFs which are lossless...


    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  11. #11
    Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     15,238
    Location
     scotland
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    It depends whose jpegs they are....those produced by the D300 for example are almost indistinguishable in quality from the raw files (that is to say, a straight blow up to A1 would reveal hardly any extra detail, and no difference at all in exposure or colour saturation) but the raw file contains some info that allows slightly finer image tuningin photoshop. This is especially true of highlight and shadow detail, but frankly, if you understand exposure, you can get one of these spot on at the time of pressing the shutter anyway.Raw files have more downsides than upsides for the amateur photographer IMO, esp those who use a motordrive a lot, or who are off on an assignement with lots to shoot.

    Any cynicism can be dispelled by you shooting two identical piccies, one High quality JPEG and one raw and posting both here with no processing....dont say which is which and we'll run a blind test?
    still just watching clouds

  12. #12
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    rockmeister wrote:
    It depends whose jpegs they are....those produced by the D300 for example are almost indistinguishable in quality from the raw files (that is to say, a straight blow up to A1 would reveal hardly any extra detail, and no difference at all in exposure or colour saturation) but the raw file contains some info that allows slightly finer image tuningin photoshop. This is especially true of highlight and shadow detail, but frankly, if you understand exposure, you can get one of these spot on at the time of pressing the shutter anyway.Raw files have more downsides than upsides for the amateur photographer IMO, esp those who use a motordrive a lot, or who are off on an assignement with lots to shoot.

    Any cynicism can be dispelled by you shooting two identical piccies, one High quality JPEG and one raw and posting both here with no processing....dont say which is which and we'll run a blind test?
    The problem with JPEGs is that they are lossy. If you edit one and save it, it loses data. Try it - open a JPEG and do 'save as' 20 times. It will degrade, even if you make no edits. For post-processing, you should use a lossless format like TIFF.



    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  13. #13
    Admin hifiwigwam's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     27,281
    Location
     Sussex, West Side.
    Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    i_should_coco wrote:
    7's available for only £40 or so...
    I bought this recently and am only scratching the surface. It comes with Adobe Camera RAW, so you can process before saving in any lossy(or lossless) format. Bear in mind, you can always upgrade if you are really really addicted/clever/keen.

    From your photo's I assumed you already had photo shop?



  14. #14
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    HiFiWigWam wrote:
    i_should_coco wrote:
    7's available for only £40 or so...
    I bought this recently and am only scratching the surface. It comes with Adobe Camera RAW, so you can process before saving in any lossy(or lossless) format. Bear in mind, you can always upgrade if you are really really addicted/clever/keen.

    From your photo's I assumed you already had photo shop?

    Ah, the camera RAW bit is good to know.

    The only thing I've used so far is DPP to sharpen and correct exposure/white balance. (I don't shoot JPEG any more after discovering how nicer results I can get in RAW).

    What I would like is better workflow as I find DPP clumsy for doing lots of images at once, especially if they all need something slightly different and more flexibility for shadow/highlight recovery.

    I think I shall download the trial and compare to GIMP.



    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  15. #15
    Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     15,238
    Location
     scotland
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    i_should_coco wrote:
    rockmeister wrote:
    It depends whose jpegs they are....those produced by the D300 for example are almost indistinguishable in quality from the raw files (that is to say, a straight blow up to A1 would reveal hardly any extra detail, and no difference at all in exposure or colour saturation) but the raw file contains some info that allows slightly finer image tuning*in photoshop. This is especially true of highlight and shadow detail, but frankly, if you understand exposure, you can get one of these spot on at the time of pressing the shutter anyway.*Raw files have more downsides than upsides for the amateur photographer IMO, esp those who use a motordrive a lot, or who are off on an assignement with lots to shoot.

    Any cynicism can be dispelled by you shooting two identical piccies, one High quality JPEG and one raw and posting both here with no processing....dont say which is which and we'll run a blind test?
    The problem with JPEGs is that they are lossy. If you edit one and save it, it loses data. Try it - open a JPEG and do 'save as' 20 times. It will degrade, even if you make no edits. For post-processing, you should use a lossless format like TIFF.


    bored then are we...do you often sit around idly opening and closing files to see if they degrade?
    Anyway, the point of photoshop is that you dont save files as jpeg's, you save your workflow as a photoshop file which isn't lossy and export it to your designer/printer as a TIFF or PICT or straight PS file. Workflow is all carried out in ps format.
    No loss, more pics. faster processing.
    still just watching clouds

  16. #16
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    That was my point - why would I start with JPEG? Conversion to JPEG should be at the end of the workflow. JPEGs are the MP3s of the photo world.
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  17. #17
    Up the hammers ADPully's Avatar
    Join Date
     Oct 2007
    Posts
     3,649
    Location
     Witney
    Real Name
     Andy
    Turn Table
     Trans-fi ish
    T/Arm & Cart
     Trans-fi- IO
    SUT/Phono
     David Wright
    Digital Source 1
     Ipod
    Digital Source 2
     no
    DAC
     Jolida
    Integrated Amp
     no
    Speakers
     DIY
    Pre Amp
     David Wright
    Power Amp
     Various
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Im finding my trial of adobe lightroom pretty good for workflow.
    Ipod Pure I-20; Jolida DAC, Transcendent SE OTL; Ultracurve digital cross over and disco amp for bass, Speakers DIY 3 way Open Baffle, Hawthorne 15"Augie, Audio Nirvana, PHY 8"er or Fostex FF225K and RAAL 140-15D and a DIY deck Trans-fi based

  18. #18
    purplepleaser
    Guest

    Post imported post

    I use DPP for Raw to Jpeg resizing, then Elements 6 for tweaking usually dust, crap bits then a tad of USM.

  19. #19
    Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     20,742
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    That's pretty much what I want to do except DPP for RAW -> TIFF, then USM, and any fixup in photoshop. I also want to give Camera RAW a try.

    Does Elements take any noise reduction plugins?
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  20. #20
    Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     15,238
    Location
     scotland
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    i_should_coco wrote:
    That was my point - why would I start with JPEG? Conversion to JPEG should be at the end of the workflow. JPEGs are the MP3s of the photo world.
    we could round this circle for ever...you start with jpegs because there are more of them on your camera, you can shoot faster with them and because you can't tell the difference! Nor can I.(Once on computer, there's no pre processing to be done either).

    Nor can anyone else who isn't producing pro studio work, or enlarging their images to poster size.

    Its a bit like megapixels....it aint the quantity of them, it's how they're processed that matters, which is how the D40 for example produces pics as nice as a (maybe) 8mp sensor with just 6...or maybe, more fittingly, like amplifier watts.... something a soldery old loon like you should appreciate well.
    still just watching clouds

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •