No

Post imported post

My Hi-Fi, That's in a bedroom.

2 Modified bridged Quad 405 poweramps.
    TDL Studio 0.75M
    Quad 44 pre.
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player.
    Thorens TD160B MK2/RB250/DL110.

This system of mines sounds absolutely nice, great vocals, dynamics and bass. Really full and rounded, NICE!!

Now here is the bad bit. I am starting to go off listening to vinyl because I find my Rotel CD player to be a lot better sounding over my Thorens. I don't really know what the case is? Maybe my cartridge needs changing? Or it could be that my Thorens is being a miss match with my system?

Anyway just would like to know what turntable goes well with a Quad405/44 combo?

Super Wammer russ abbott - royds brother's Avatar
    Real Name
     stu
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     Dv505 Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     A.innovation/project
    Digital Source 1
     SB3
    Integrated Amp
     Puresound 2A3
    Speakers
     Coral 15/70 grf cabs
    Pre Amp
     Coral M100 Le cleach
    Power Amp
     Coral H104 Tweeter's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

My friend uses a thorens 150 through 44/405 and it sounds pretty good.

I've got a 150 as well and it just doesn't sound great.

He is using a shure v15.

Not sure if my cartridge is shagged.

Maybe see if you can borrow a half decent cart off someone.

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I might just buy a new Denon cartridge. If this fails, then it must be the Thorens. Sometimes I feel that I should have just got another turntable.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'm spinning the latest Maccabees album on my £500 pro-ject TT.

This is a beautifully recorded slab of vinyl and right now it's showing my £10k digital front end where to get off...

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Just wondering, will the Heybrooks, Ariston and systemdek turntables be any better over the Thorens?

I know I am being silly. The Rotel CD player has better speed, dynamics and highs over the Thorens.

The Thorens is sounding very slow and woolly. And the tracking weight is set right on the cartridge.

I just don't know, I feel like getting rid of this thorens and just live with CD. This Rotel CD player goes very well with my system.

Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I think you're describing the limitations of vinyl replay compared to CD. To me, CD is better than vinyl in every way possible. Others of course will disagree.

S.

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I know, you said this to me before

Super Dooper Wammer Cable Monkey's Avatar
    Real Name
     Henry
    Turn Table
     A R Legend (TTT)
    T/Arm & Cart
     PU7/Black Beauty SPX
    SUT/Phono
     HM7 / Tron 7 MM
    Digital Source 1
     Teac P700
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Metrum Octave
    Speakers
     10 inch Tannoys
    Pre Amp
     Sonic Euphoria PLC
    Power Amp
     ARC D70 mkII
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SergeAuckland wrote:
    I think you're describing the limitations of vinyl replay compared to CD. To me, CD is better than vinyl in every way possible. Others of course will disagree.

S.
    Of course they will. And there is nothing like a typical Serge sweeping statement to draw them into that.

Of course what the OP describes suggests a problem rather than a limitation of vinyl. Can I ask what arm is on the deck? The Denon cartridge favours a heavier arm, and of course it is moving coil. The Thorens arms of the period would probably not get on at all well with it. A decent period Shure would probably reinvigorate your interest in vinyl.

Let me get this straight. You take a perfectly good CD and put it in a DVD player??!!

Real Name
     Lindsay
    Turn Table
     Roksan Xerxes 20+
    T/Arm & Cart
     Artemiz/Dyn XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Superline
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDS3/XPS2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8
    Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Any number of reasons - what is the Thorens sitting on? have you had a good look at the stylus under a magnifier? Is the belt worn? But if it's set up properly you ought to be getting the same level of satisfaction as from your Rotel CDP albeit that is a good disc spinner.

Strat
    Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Cable Monkey wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:

S.
    Of course they will. And there is nothing like a typical Serge sweeping statement to draw them into that.

Of course what the OP describes suggests a problem rather than a limitation of vinyl. Can I ask what arm is on the deck? The Denon cartridge favours a heavier arm, and of course it is moving coil. The Thorens arms of the period would probably not get on at all well with it. A decent period Shure would probably reinvigorate your interest in vinyl.

The arm is a Rega RB250. I bought it new a year ago. It's a very nice musical arm for the money. I've had bad luck with the old shure V15 cartridges, I know there was a much later V15 but I never heard it.

It's got to be the Denon causing the problem? A couple of weeks ago it did sound a bit better. The stylus on it must be dying out.

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

The Strat wrote:
    Any number of reasons - what is the Thorens sitting on? have you had a good look at the stylus under a magnifier? Is the belt worn? But if it's set up properly you ought to be getting the same level of satisfaction as from your Rotel CDP albeit that is a good disc spinner.

Strat
    There is a pic of my system in my profile. And there you will see the Thorens. It's sitting on the top shelf on my Soundstyle rack.

Super Dooper Wammer Cable Monkey's Avatar
    Real Name
     Henry
    Turn Table
     A R Legend (TTT)
    T/Arm & Cart
     PU7/Black Beauty SPX
    SUT/Phono
     HM7 / Tron 7 MM
    Digital Source 1
     Teac P700
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Metrum Octave
    Speakers
     10 inch Tannoys
    Pre Amp
     Sonic Euphoria PLC
    Power Amp
     ARC D70 mkII
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

pobox-123 wrote:
    Cable Monkey wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:

S.

The arm is a Rega RB250. I bought it new a year ago. It's a very nice musical arm for the money. I've had bad luck with the old shure V15 cartridges, I know there was a much later V15 but I never heard it.

It's got to be the Denon causing the problem? A couple of weeks ago it did sound a bit better. The stylus on it must be dying out.
    The arm should be a reasonable match for the Denon so that isn't the whole problem. Can I suggest you find a magic eraser, they are synthetic pencil rubbers. Draw it firmly along the stylus 2 or 3 times and you will probably get an improvement back to the best the deck has sounded to you.
    Let me get this straight. You take a perfectly good CD and put it in a DVD player??!!

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Not having heard one, I may be totally on the wrong track, but are you using the quad phono stage, and if so, is it any good? The denons normally match OK to Rega arms, so it should not be that.
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

pobox-123 wrote:
    Cable Monkey wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:

S.

OK, let's put aside for a moment my thoughts on vinyl in general, and let's accept that the Thorens turntable system may be the problem:-

Firstly, the Turntable is mounted on a proper support, and it is a suspended deck also which makes it less critical of mounting, so let's for the moment eliminate that problem.If there's no obvious feedback or problems with footfalls in the room, then mounting isn't the first issue. I assume the turntable bounces freely.

Secondly the arm. Although the RB250 isn't the last word in arms, it should be perfectly adequate for the cartridge. The old Shure V15 cartridges were designed for low-mass arms, notably the SME3009 as Shure was the SME Importer in the USA. My V15III works perfectly well in a SME3009II-S2. Although the resonant frequency would be lower with a fixed headshell 3009, I haven't noticed any problems from that score.

The cartridge is a Denon DL110, which has a low compliance of 8CU. This may need a more massy arm than the 250, but that's easy to test: put a2p coin on the headshell with a tiny piece of blutack to stop it rattling, rebalance the arm and listen. If mass wasthe problem,the bass should now sound cleaner, less heavy in subjective terms. If there's no difference or it now sounds worse, then mass isn't likely to be the problem. I'm assuming that the cartridge is correctly aligned and that the arm tube is parallel to the record. If either is wrong, then all bets are off as to what it will sound like. If you have a test record, the ideal arm/cartridge resonant frequency is around 10Hz. 7-14Hz should be fine.

As to stylus life, opinions vary, but typically 1000 hours is what you should get from a stylus. It may be a as low as 750, or in the case of VdH, they claim 3000 hours, but only you can tell howmany hours it's likely to have had.

Finally, the QUAD MM input stage:- I've had the 34 and 44 preamps, with both MM and MC input stages and have never found them lacking.

In summary, there's nothing inherently wrong with any of the equipment you have, so provided it is set up correctly, I would expect it to work as well as it can. What I said previously about vinyl overall still stands.

S.

Sssshhh Shut The F..k Up It Cost How Much!?!'s Avatar
    Real Name
     Bob
    Turn Table
     Transrotor Fat Bob
    T/Arm & Cart
     Transrotor/Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     S&B/Hagerman Trumpet
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric P-30
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     JBL L112 Quad ESL989
    Pre Amp
     Audio Research SP14
    Power Amp
     Primare 928 (white)
    Headphones
     Stax 4040 Beyer 990
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Sounds like your cartridge is not clean, have you tried a cartridge cleaner? I use the Audio Technica one about every 100 hours and it restores the sound to tip-top condition. It might be worth borrowing one to see, rather than splash out on a new cartridge.

Personally, I have had two Thorens TD-160S with SME armsin the past and have not been convinced with either. The TD-150 is another matter. If you feel like a change (assuming it's not a dirty cartridge), then I would look at either a a Heybrook TT2, Ariston RD11S or the original Systemdek with your arm/cart.

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

It Cost How Much!?! wrote:
    Sounds like your cartridge is not clean, have you tried a cartridge cleaner? I use the Audio Technica one about every 100 hours and it restores the sound to tip-top condition. It might be worth borrowing one to see, rather than splash out on a new cartridge.

Personally, I have had two Thorens TD-160S with SME armsin the past and have not been convinced with either. The TD-150 is another matter. If you feel like a change (assuming it's not a dirty cartridge), then I would look at either a a Heybrook TT2, Ariston RD11S or the original Systemdek with your arm/cart.
    This cartridge cleaner you speak off, does it vibrate when cleaning the stylus? I think a long time ago my father use to have one of them, and he told me they are good. How much are these cleaners?

Turntable wise: I am not going to give upthe Thorens to quickly, because it's a nice turntable, and it sounds betterover my michell Syncro, which we will be selling soon.

But if I was to change to another turntable, oh yes I will be tempted to hear the Heybrook TT2 or the AristonAnd maybe even a Dual turntable, I see many people raving about the Dual's.

Umberto

Post imported post

Before you go spending money on a new / second hand TT, clean the stylus as others have suggested and if that dosent improve things, consider getting the arm rewired by Johnnie at Audioorigami www.audioorigami.co.uk and check the bearing oil in the TT. If it's low get some of Johnnies booster oil.

I find the RB250 can somethimes sound a little average. The rewire will do it wonders and you can be assured that johhnie will do a good job and charge very reasonable rates.

Sssshhh Shut The F..k Up It Cost How Much!?!'s Avatar
    Real Name
     Bob
    Turn Table
     Transrotor Fat Bob
    T/Arm & Cart
     Transrotor/Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     S&B/Hagerman Trumpet
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric P-30
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     JBL L112 Quad ESL989
    Pre Amp
     Audio Research SP14
    Power Amp
     Primare 928 (white)
    Headphones
     Stax 4040 Beyer 990
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

pobox-123 wrote:
    It Cost How Much!?! wrote:

This cartridge cleaner you speak off, does it vibrate when cleaning the stylus? I think a long time ago my father use to have one of them, and he told me they are good. How much are these cleaners?

Turntable wise: I am not going to give upthe Thorens to quickly, because it's a nice turntable, and it sounds betterover my michell Syncro, which we will be selling soon.

But if I was to change to another turntable, oh yes I will be tempted to hear the Heybrook TT2 or the AristonAnd maybe even a Dual turntable, I see many people raving about the Dual's.

It's a AT-637 and unfortunately not made for some time. They go for silly money on eBay (usually about £70), I bought mine new for £35. The reason they go for silly money, is that there is nothing better for cleaning your stylus. There is a Goldring copy, which is nearly as good and goes for about £25. Hence why I suggest you borrow one to try it out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDIO-TECHNICA...3A1%7C294%3A50

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

OK,

I gave my Stylus a good clean with a Clearaudio Stylus Brush. The sound has improved (Thank God)
    Sound is more refined and dynamic. But the stylus of the cartridge is starting to wear away.
    As I have had this Denon for over a year, and I have played lots of records on it.

I might think about getting the Denon DL160, Or a good MM cartridge. What are the best MM carts of today? I like cartridges that have nice midrange and good dynamics. Another thing I like to look out for is good vocal in any HiFi component.

And thanks to the people for the cleaning tips. Hmmmm I wonder if you all are females??

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Just want to know something.

Townshend Rock turntables:

What is the difference between the Elite rock and the Rock Ref.