Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
    Registered

Post imported post

im looking for an amp and speakers capable of about 50-60(or higher) watts output with a phono stage as my current set-up(marantz 35-watt and small tangent shelf standers) are a little lacking in bottom end

i would like shelf standers again as i have no room for floor standers but size of shelf standers isnt a problem as shelves im not using

(i do have a larger set of speakers but the quality is a little lacking-larger mission shelfers)

as for budget im looking to spend about 800 or less but thats only a guide really

thanks

also im after a new turnable (i have a pro-ject debut) but im fed up with having to chage the speed manully and it doesnt sound quite right

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

If you are lacking in bass then look to your speakers before the amp, how you mount the speakers (stands etc) will also help.

If your turntable doesn't sound right then get someone to check the set up, a Project speedbox might be a solution to the speed problems
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

Real Name
     Carl
    Turn Table
     RavenAC3/SP10/PTAnni
    T/Arm & Cart
     B44/64s/64fx/SMEIV
    SUT/Phono
     P'techT1/Tron7
    Digital Source 1
     MB Pro/Audiophilio 1
    Digital Source 2
     Cyrus CD XTSE+/PSX-R
    DAC
     Cyrus DAC X+/PSX-R
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz PM15 (1993)
    Speakers
     Glenair15/ST200
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I was in a similar situation a fews years ago and found great success with a used pair (minty actually) of Proac Tablette 50 signature. detailed, revealing, weighty, natural. Nice. I understand the later Tablette 8 signatures are slightly better for similar money. Nice heavy monitors in a lovely veneer are a nice thing to own.

I partnered them with a Musical Fidelity X-150. Grunty, open and a nice match (Proac are used in the MF factory) so not surprising it was a nice match.Mind you a good Cyrus integrated would be another good option. I reckon on the used market, you'd easily get what you want for £800.
    Follow my Flickr<--------------------------> Follow my photo blog

Real Name
     Myles!
    Turn Table
     Rega Planar 3
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300/2M Blue
    SUT/Phono
     Yaqin MS-12B
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Planet
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV-868AVi
    DAC
     Cowboy Angels
    Speakers
     Rega Ela
    Pre Amp
     NVA P50
    Power Amp
     Denon POA-2400
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

What is your budget? As for the Pro-ject, I would change for the sake of an upgrade, but not due to the fact that you have to manually change speed setup. Do you play a lot of 45s? If you fill in your details on your profile, with what kit you are working with, guys more knowledgeable than me will be able to guide you.
    Rega Planet Mk1 CD| Pioneer DV-868avi SACD| Yaqin MS-12B| Rega Planar 3 with acrylic thingy, white rubber thingy, Ortofon 2M Blue thingy, Groovetracer counter-thingy| Denon POA-2400 Power Amp| NVA P50 passive pre

Registered

Post imported post

thanks for all the advice but i need everything to be made more simple (ive no knoledge at all) i just sort of want to get some better kit tbh as the current system lacks rather- other than that i know just about nothing other than what im after

Real Name
     Myles!
    Turn Table
     Rega Planar 3
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300/2M Blue
    SUT/Phono
     Yaqin MS-12B
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Planet
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV-868AVi
    DAC
     Cowboy Angels
    Speakers
     Rega Ela
    Pre Amp
     NVA P50
    Power Amp
     Denon POA-2400
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Ok, I had two Pro-Ject TTs and i have upgraded to a Rega Planar 2, recently fitted a Denon DL160 cartridge. I would recommend this deck, it blows away both Pro-Jects. If you have little money, it would be worth getting the Pro-Ject set up properly by someone, as it may give you the level of performance you require after a set-up. I got my deck dirt cheap, but typically they go for about £100ish.
    Speakers and bass are someone elses expertise, Im sure they will be along soon.
    Rega Planet Mk1 CD| Pioneer DV-868avi SACD| Yaqin MS-12B| Rega Planar 3 with acrylic thingy, white rubber thingy, Ortofon 2M Blue thingy, Groovetracer counter-thingy| Denon POA-2400 Power Amp| NVA P50 passive pre

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

fordy wrote:
    I was in a similar situation a fews years ago and found great success with a used pair (minty actually) of Proac Tablette 50 signature. detailed, revealing, weighty, natural. Nice. I understand the later Tablette 8 signatures are slightly better for similar money. Nice heavy monitors in a lovely veneer are a nice thing to own.

I partnered them with a Musical Fidelity X-150. Grunty, open and a nice match (Proac are used in the MF factory) so not surprising it was a nice match.Mind you a good Cyrus integrated would be another good option. I reckon on the used market, you'd easily get what you want for £800.
    Good suggestion there!

The smaller ProAcs do decent bass for their size &amp; if you can't pick up a used MF amp for a reasonable price I'll be very surprised...