EH Big Muff
    Integrated Amp
     Engl
    Speakers
     Celestion
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Snake oil or a piss take joke? The boundaries are now too blurred.

The Altmann Acoustic Panel

The Altmann Acoustic Panel is a Reflection Panel. It is designed to CREATE a great sounding acoustic reflection.The combination of high-quality wood and special treatment gives the panel a vibrational and reflection characteristic that matches the Mother-of-Tone character, the ear's own character after which all sounds are evaluated.

The Altmann Tube-o-lator Lacquer

The Altmann Tube-o-lator lacquer is an overtone-filter coating-compound for plastic semiconductor packages. After application of the “Tube-o-lator" lacquer, the indicated components will have a tube-like sonic character, best described as warm, full, natural and emotional sound.

Sceptical Wammer
    Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Lenco Soup
    Digital Source 1
     Rotel RCD991
    Integrated Amp
     Wad Kat88
    Speakers
     Spendor S100
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Clearly Snake Oil AND Piss Take

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/ Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

So, have anyWammers been "open-minded" (or daft ) enough to try either of these gems?

Real Name
     Adam
    Turn Table
     Gyrodec/301
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME/Ortofon/AN
    SUT/Phono
     Anatek MC1
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS
    Digital Source 2
     Marantz CD94
    DAC
     Marantz CDA94
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Supernait
    Speakers
     Mowgan Audio Ogma
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

mosfet wrote:
    The Altmann Tube-o-lator Lacquer

The Altmann Tube-o-lator lacquer is an overtone-filter coating-compound for plastic semiconductor packages. After application of the “Tube-o-lator" lacquer, the indicated components will have a tube-like sonic character, best described as warm, full, natural and emotional sound.

Yeah - don't bother with removing the IC socket and soldering the IC directly onto the PCB, just paint some gunk on it - good call!!
    Instant human being - just add coffee. Do not stir.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

meninblack wrote:
    So, have anyWammers been "open-minded" (or daft ) enough to try either of these gems?
    I don’t see why not MIB, as Wolfg often notes (quite rightly) whats the difference between these two and any other area of questionable “reality” in audiophile circles. I mean you would imagine people will carry on believing that power cords for example sound different when results show otherwise. So where do we draw the line on wacky beliefs or notions in audio. FWIW HFN Keith Howard has had a large pop at cable burn in in this months issue Ive read. Now that notion is as wacky as the 2 items above but its widely accepted/believed by many in this hobby.

So again I would ask where do we draw the line of snake oil / piss take ?, not just directed at you bro.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Real Name
     Andy
    Turn Table
     LP12
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok/Dynavector 10
    SUT/Phono
     Copland
    Digital Source 1
     Copland CDA 288
    Integrated Amp
     Copland CSA 28
    Speakers
     Dynaudio Audience 52
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Some people can tell what a wine is by its taste. Should i dismiss these people as at best misguided fools or worst outright liares? All taste like vinegar to me but i can tell the difference between IC's, speaker cables, lagerand mains cable.
    For the believers, proof is not necessary. For the non believers, proof is not possible

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/ Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

andi wrote:
    Some people can tell what a wine is by its taste. Should i dismiss these people as at best misguided fools or worst outright liares? All taste like vinegar to me but i can tell the difference between IC's, speaker cables, lagerand mains cable.
    I can also tell the difference between lager and mains cable. Hey! I'm an audiophool! :lmao:

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

meninblack wrote:
    andi wrote:
    I can also tell the difference between lager and mains cable. Hey! I'm an audiophool! :lmao:
    Hey Andi there were plenty of chaps who went into the wigwam blind power cable test mk II who thought they could tell the difference between kettle leads and audiophile cables, and they could not. Mind you there were 3 chaps who went into the wigwmam blind power cable test mk I also and funnily enough could not either.

Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Wammer

Post imported post

cjr wrote:
    Hey Andi there were plenty of chaps who went into the wigwam blind power cable test mk II who thought they could tell the difference between kettle leads and audiophile cables, and they could not. Mind you there were 3 chaps who went into the wigwmam blind power cable test mk I also and funnily enough could not either.
    Surely, theeffectiveness of a mains cable is not limited to its design but also to the quality of the power supply.

The mains supplyis very poorhere in Riyadh and I have to use a voltage regulator, which receives a 'dirty' and fluctuating power supply and gives out a 'dirty' power supply at a constant voltage.

To try and improve things, I have used (and still own) the RA Classic PowerCord, the Merlin Black Widow (now Tarantula) and the VdH MainStream.

They all sound different to me, although I have never done a blind test.

MY POWERCORDS MAKE A DIFFERENCE (to my ears).

At the same time, I doubt the same powercords will make a difference when I hook up my kit at home in the UK as I beleive the UK power supply is of a much higher quality.
    Too much is not enough.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hey Boseman I was trying to highlight that what people draw the line at believing they can hear is somewhat at variance of the evidence when their eyes are removed for example – I was trying to make a comparison in answer to andi’s post, thus I find no difference in my setup with power cables say than I would with the “fairy in the garden type” claims made about the 2 items Mosfet linked to – where do we draw the line about fantastic claims that have no evidence for example. YMMV due to power supply in your house, but mine is fine. As are a lot of peoples once their eyes are removed from the equation funnily enough.

Best regards.

FWIW the F32s I heard were kettle leaded all the way ;)

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

cjr wrote:
    Hey Boseman I was trying to highlight that what people draw the line at believing they can hear is somewhat at variance of the evidence when their eyes are removed for example – I was trying to make a comparison in answer to andi’s post, thus I find no difference in my setup with power cables say than I would with the “fairy in the garden type” claims made about the 2 items Mosfet linked to – where do we draw the line about fantastic claims that have no evidence for example. YMMV due to power supply in your house, but mine is fine. As are a lot of peoples once their eyes are removed from the equation funnily enough.

Best regards.

FWIW the F32s I heard were kettle leaded all the way ;)
    Maybe this belongs in the great cable debate rather than a snake oil post
    First pressings son !

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Duvet wrote:
    Maybe this belongs in the great cable debate rather than a snake oil post
    What if they are in some way related Bedspread ? My posts were along the lines of what is acceptable and what not. Will draw a line under that dude.

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well it seems some believe they make a differemce and some dont . Apart from that i cant really see much point in the whole debate colin.
    First pressings son !