AVI 2000MI
    Speakers
     VIFA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

hi you lot,

what should i reasonably expect

to pay for one of these in pristine condition?

black ash finish lv11 arm.

thanks bommer.
    what a beautiful world this will be,
    what a glorious time to be free.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

whats the rest of the spec bommer?

Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3 / IO1
    SUT/Phono
     AN S4 / Vida
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric X-03se
    Digital Source 2
     Transporter
    Integrated Amp
     Rowland Concentra 2
    Speakers
     Art Deco 10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I bought an LP12 earlier this year. Black ash, serial number 74XXX which dates it to apprx mid 80s I think, Valhalla, Ittok LV11 and Linn Klyde. The Linn Klyde needed a re-tip though so I'm using my Goldring 1042 instead. A few minor scuffs to the plinth but otherwise in very good nick. Of course, it sounds fantastic :dude:

I paid £500 for mine which I think was a fair price. Stay clear of eBay though - the prices are outrageous.

Wammer

Post imported post

Based on the advice to steer clear of eBay are there any other good recommended sources of LP12s ?* i.e. where the tt will be either immaculate or in perfect working order at a reasonable price... sorry - may be a long shot.
    Cables are the root of all wars.

Wammer
     nr St Andrews, Fife, Scotland., , United Kingdom

Post imported post

In the same way that there are good dealers and bad dealers on the high street, the same is true with e-bay, basically you just need to use your common sense. Whilst there are some rogue, dishonest, e-bay traders, my wife an I have over 300 trasactions between us both as buyers ( me and the wife) and seller ( me), I can't honestly say that i've ever been completely ripped off, although a couple of low value items i've bought have been not quite as good as i' could have hoped for.

During the last 3 years I have bought and/or sold 6 different record players, two tonearms and countless cartridges via e-bay with out any 'major' problems. Any time i have had problems they have been easily and amicably resolved. ( any problems were always with bought items , never anything that i've sold btw ).

It is true that certain prestige brands do command a premium on e-bay, however you just need to monitor everything and eventually your bargain might come through. Find something you like, check out the seller via e-mail, etc well before the auction ends and then put in a reasonable bid , towards the end , or use a sniper and don't get sucked in to a bidding war, you never know you might win something nice.Story: I was watching a rare stylus balance the other week, knowing that i'd sold one a few months previously for about £80 to a collector and it got quite a few bids , i didn't bother bidding.This one soldfor £5 ! ho hum... you live and learn.

IMHO, Most people are basically honest, it is just a small, criminal, minority that spoil the image and reputation of e-bay...

A ' wanted to buy' post/ad in the private classified section of any of the well known Hi-Fi forums would be a good place to start your search, try, Here, HFC, PFM and ZG for starters, and possibly the Naim forum (if you can negotioate their registration interogation). These wil be prime places for Linn 'Up graders' to hang out and possibly sell their decks..

Hi-Fi World magazine usually has a lot of private and trade ad's along with s/h dealer listings, check out their website, the magazine should be out in the next few days...

if you are really lucky you might even be able to pick up a nice one for £150 out of t your local paper, like i did 3 yeras ago, ;). good luck there are plenty of them out there...
    "Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don\'t have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, *life* has surface noise."
    John Peel.

Real Name
     Lindsay
    Turn Table
     Roksan Xerxes 20+
    T/Arm & Cart
     Artemiz/Dyn XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Superline
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDS3/XPS2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8
    Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Bought one 2nd hand from Audio-T a few weeks ago Armaggedon, Akito, Ortofon MC15 but for new hinges and having plugs changed heavenly. With warranty £900. Just replaced my phono-board (Project SE with Naim Stageline to match 202/200). CD redundant - not quite but vinyl way better.
    Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Bommer...can't resist asking if you've auditioned the alternatives? Linn's do attract high prices cos lots of people want them, (because they are good, but also because of their 'status') There are lots of other makes as good, though slightly different sounding that you might get for less. Look out for Michell, Pink Triangle, Kuzma, Rock and etc. Also some newer but cheaper decks like the Project and Rega ranges can, with a decent arm and cart, be suprisingly good value.
    still just watching clouds

Real Name
     Jezzer
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    Digital Source 2
     Audiolab 8200CDQ
    Speakers
     Usher Be-718
    Power Amp
     Bel Canto eVo2 GenII
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I notice that Curtis has a very nice ProJect for sale at agood price with phonostage and decent cart.

Eats, shoots and leaves...

Wammer

Post imported post

Between £500 and £900 you will get a decent LP12 that will keep you very happy and stop your cd player from getting much use.

There is also in the £500 to 2k new price range a selection of all sorts of turntables and arms that will spin your records to a quality that will have you thinking why did I buy a cd player ? :dude:

Strange keep swapping leads and cables and cd players your a tweaker and suffering from upgradeitis

But try different arms weights cartridges your just trying to get the best out of your turntable

A.N.

Post imported post

i bought one quite recently from a dealer in scotland, ittok lv11, valhalla, no cart, upgraded vdh arm lead, custom plinth. immaculate condition, really is as new. paid just over 700 inc delivery and warranty.

got it fully serviced by a mate who knows his lp12's, put a spanking new arm board on and meddite baseboard and fitted a denon dl160 cart. singing like a lark.

adam

Post imported post

Beware of people using the word "MINT" I was sold a mint DV17D2 cart sold as mint,it was far from mint,it was a con,the cart was sent without headscrews and a collapsed suspension,this was from a PFM forum member,not willing to repay at the moment,was be getting an unpleasent visit soon if he don't cough up,so beware of the description.

Real Name
     JOHN
    Digital Source 1
     AVI S2000MC
    Integrated Amp
     AVI 2000MI
    Speakers
     VIFA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hawk wrote:

linn sondek stylus!

is there anything else it should come with?

i'm a novice with regards to tt's as you probably gathered

btw its on ebay currently £205with 4 days to run.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

bommer wrote:
    Hawk wrote:

linn sondek stylus!

is there anything else it should come with?

i'm a novice with regards to tt's as you probably gathered

btw its on ebay currently £205with 4 days to run.
    Firstly your welcome to come round and listen to mine as your not a million miles away, then you can at least get an idea of what you would be letting yourself in for.

The Spec of LP12s vary a great deal..

Firstly the Plinth, best ones have corner braces, very early ones dont. If it doesnt it makes fitting something like a prefix phono stage quite hard. Cost of a new plinth is around £200

Next up power Supply - Valhalla is most common and is perfectly acceptable IMO, but the Linn Lingo or Naim armageddon are again better, they are an £800 plus pound upgrade

Bearing - Circus is the latest and reputed to be the best, but again im happy without the circus upgrade (£350)

You then get into arms and carts... The Ittock is a great arm and probably the best value for money, not quite as good as an EKOS, but close enough for the money. EKOS and Naim ARO seem to be the ultimate but these are £1K plus arms..

Pricewise £250 to £400 for a clean pre circus Vallhalla/Ittock, £500 ish for a circused/Vallhalla then when you get into Lingo2/Geddon EKOs/ARO then your into £1500 plus territory..

Mine is Just a Vallhalla/Ittock but with a nice £500 cart...

Regards

Hawk

Real Name
     JOHN
    Digital Source 1
     AVI S2000MC
    Integrated Amp
     AVI 2000MI
    Speakers
     VIFA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

blimey,i thought i'd just be able to plug it in

and be hearing seductive music!

am i correct in thinking then that i have also

got to invest in a seperate power supply

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

bommer wrote:

No not at all... just plug and play!! The other power supplies are just an upgrade not a requirement..

IMO at the sub £500 level the LP12 is a complete bargain..
    Mine is quite basic yet sounds great ;)

Rgds

Hawk

Real Name
     JOHN
    Digital Source 1
     AVI S2000MC
    Integrated Amp
     AVI 2000MI
    Speakers
     VIFA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

thank god for that,if it stays under the £350 mark

i will be happy,but on ebay you never can tell.

where abouts are you hawk btw,i'm in sunny stevenage.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

...about ten mins from Hemel Hempstead

Hawk

Registered

Post imported post

Hawk wrote:
    bommer wrote:

No not at all... just plug and play!! The other power supplies are just an upgrade not a requirement..

IMO at the sub £500 level the LP12 is a complete bargain..
    Mine is quite basic yet sounds great ;)

Rgds

Hawk
    Let's qualify this .." just plug and play".. statement, shall we?
    To get the best out it Bommer you need to set it up properly, and to my experience, it needs to be absolutely level to perform.
    You will also find it sounding different with different supports ( wood, glass etc.)
    A lot of fun to play with though and when you get it 'right', you'll forget your CD player - as Dave said.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Bommer, Im yet another 100% satisfied customer in the used LP12 owners club – there is no better VFM deck IMHO than what you can get £500 wise.

The only drawback I have found being perfectly honest is the anti LP12 backlash that many reserve for this old deck, this has a lot to do with Linns & Linn dealers hype on the unit, original rrp and over enthusiastic owners (normally of a Naim – Angle iron variety) deriding other TT users and decks (this makes them as idiotic as the LP12 bashers in my book).

I never had any set-up problems, no motor rumble, no sticky bearings, have changed carts no problem - just plugged and played, have found that this TT sounds identical on wood, glass, MDF, carpet. Its quite simple a hifi unit I will probably own till my dying days, other TTs give you a differing presentation, some you may prefer over this deck, but to see the anti LP12 crap that flies around the net, is quite frankly indicative of mental illness. IMHO.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

what brought that on CJR? So far every contribution to this thread has praised Linn ... There are other decks, but each to his own I say.
    Kep smiling lad
    still just watching clouds