Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Just a mini poll without a poll. I found less desire/need to swap kit as age advances. I think this is (obviously) because I am now a mature person (still witty, debonaire and attractive) who has no need to willy wave, keep up with trends or indulge in 'nervous advice in mags' following. So is it only those who are past all that and who have cruised beyond even mid life crisis stage who are not serial swappers (Dave excluded obviously...there must be an exception!) or are there no age factors involved?
    I only ask because everyone I know in their twenties is of the ...MMMMMMM SHINY AND NEW..WANT NOW persuasion.
    still just watching clouds

Post imported post

i've done my fair share of box swapping over the years. i've grown a lot wiser and older and give up that golden sound malarky coz it aint there rocky.

Wammer

Post imported post

Probably takes 40-odd years of box swapping to find a set-up we're finally happy with!

Post imported post

mac2006 wrote:
    Probably takes 40-odd years of box swapping to find a set-up we're finally happy with!
    yea but for how long? i've accepted a long time ago that most hifi is over hyped garbage. and give up tryingto find the ultimate sound quality.

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

there is a ultimate sound, its the one that you can afford that best suits your ears and room.
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Real Name
     erm... guess
    Turn Table
     ha ha ha... :P
    Digital Source 1
     audionet ART v2
    Speakers
     Focal 927be and 13"
    Pre Amp
     Advantage S1
    Power Amp
     Advantage or Krell
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

maybe as you age you get different priorities,

or more likely that as you get older your hearing declines and you can't tell the difference any more
    There should be something amusing or clever here...

Wammer

Post imported post

Not seen any change in my box swapping habbits over the years, still carry out the odd swap

Wammer

Post imported post

I'm 27, and I have swapped a bit of kit in the past, but its because i was discovering what i wanted... i wasnt quite sure.

I am now, and now I have got it. I wont be swapping anything now until it breaks. I see no point, personally.

Real Name
     Neil
    Turn Table
     Rega P1
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB100/OM5e
    Digital Source 1
     Arcam DiVA DV79
    Digital Source 2
     Sony MDS-JB980
    DAC
     Arcam rDAC
    Integrated Amp
     Arcam FMJ A18
    Speakers
     Wharfedale 10.3/10MX
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

26 myself and I went through a phase in the first 3 years or so, like Paul, when I was deciding what suited me. I'm pretty much there now - only thing I'd upgrade is the speakers if I had a bigger room.
    Living Room: Apple TV 3, Arcam A18/DV79/T51/rDAC, Denon DRS-640, Rega P1, Sony MDS-JB980/PS3 Slim/RDR-HXD560. Samsung UE40D5520, Wharfedale Diamond 10.3/10MX
    Bedrom: Mission m70, Sony CDP-XE310/MDS-JE480, Yamaha RX-v890

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'm 65 and retired, and my audiologist says I can still hear flat to 7-8 kHz. I now have more available money than I had in my working and child-rearing life, and I can afford to buy just about anything in audio I want without feeling the pinch.

But I'm happy and comfortable with my modest system in my modest room in my modest house and I just can't be bothered getting on the upgrade trail again.

When I recentlydestroyed an mc cartridge and replaced it with an AT OC9 I did break out ofmy inertia. The OC9 sounded distinctly ordinary in an RB300 on a 25-year-old AR Legend tt and I did audition a Michell Gyrodek and a VPI Scoutmaster, and was on the point of buying one or the other. But one step at a time - I bought a Michell TecnoArm instead, mounted it and the OC9 on the elderly AR, and got a wonderful sound.And that's the way it's staying.

So that wasn't really an upgrade - more like an enforced error.

Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

is there a connection between being 67 and up on the internet at 3.37am?!
    still just watching clouds

Wammer

Post imported post

rudolph hucker wrote:
    yea but for how long? i've accepted a long time ago that most hifi is over hyped garbage. and give up tryingto find the ultimate sound quality.
    Hi Rudi me old skidmard

You havea point, but believe me, there's still plenty of stunningly good kit out there. I guess it depends on what you mean by "the ultimate sound quality"?

At some point, after I've visited Tierp, shagged a few of the locals,and bought you a few beers, you must come to North Wales. I'll let you hear a system that might, just might,alter your perception... ;)

Rosewood LP12(1983 vintage)Hadcock GH242 Integra/Koetsu Black/Norton Airpower PSU/Sony R-1/DAS-1 transport & DAC/Croft Charisma-X/ECS EA-1 monoblocks/Graham Slee Elevator EXP step-up transformer/Spendor SP100s/Transparent cables/Mana supports.

Wammer

Post imported post

rockmeister wrote:
    is there a connection between being 67 and up on the internet at 3.37am?!
    Yes... He's in New Zealand! ;)
    Rosewood LP12(1983 vintage)Hadcock GH242 Integra/Koetsu Black/Norton Airpower PSU/Sony R-1/DAS-1 transport & DAC/Croft Charisma-X/ECS EA-1 monoblocks/Graham Slee Elevator EXP step-up transformer/Spendor SP100s/Transparent cables/Mana supports.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Griffo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'm more of a tweaker than a box swapper. I've had the Linn boxes since I got my first hifi and just added Linn power amps and went active. They are all still there untouched for some 6/7 years including speakers.

The tuner has also been in place for 6 years and I've no plans to swap it. The only major component I've swapped in the last 5 years is going from an LP12 to Orbe and also going from a Densen DP Drive phono to the Dino+.

I'm 35 and not sure this has to do withage. I spent a lot of time getting the system I wanted and even though I have heard better it is currently well out of my price range. In fact most times I go to hifi shows or accompany friends to demos I actually realise how happy I am with my system.

I still read 2 mags regularly but this is more out of having an interest in hifi itself rather than looking to swap boxes.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Upgraditus can strike at any age, but I suspect the very old and very young are most at risk of complications

Wammer

Post imported post

"The very old"

I presume you mean Dave?

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Marco wrote:
    "The very old"

I presume you mean Dave?
    Poor old Dave has no chance, I think he has a complication called monoblockitus atm

Wammer

Post imported post

I swap boxes a lot, but I think it's more to do with curiosity & experimentation than to do with a lack of satisfaction (same with girlfriends I suppose).

For example, I love myspeakers but want to experiment & try out electrostatic and/or ribbon speakers to see what they can do in my system. Get a feel for their characteristics & sound, to see if I like it.

And be thankfull for people like me. Without us, there'd be no-one to buy your old gear off eBay!

DT
    SACD: Marantz Pearl Lite
    Vinyl: Dynavector DV10x > Thorens TD309 > MF KW550 (JS Audio) > Wilson Benesch Square Two

Post imported post

Marco wrote:
    rudolph hucker wrote:

At some point, after I've visited Tierp, shagged a few of the locals,
    :sw:

Wammer

Post imported post

Any recommendations, who's the local bike?