Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

My better half is thinking of getting a moped, anybody know what the score is in terms of what type of licence is needed etc. She has held a full driving licence since 2004 and would be looking at getting something small (ie 50cc). I have no idea on this matter unfortunately.

Wammer

Post imported post

Not sure but think it's a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) Test and she should be good to go. Check on the DVLA website for further info.

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     μΩ/Tascam/
    Integrated Amp
     MF/Quad
    Speakers
     MF/Heybrook
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

It used to be that a full car licence gave you moped too, and unlimited provisional motorbike up to 125cc ( or c.750cc with sidecar aka wheel-onna-stick ;) ) or am I getting confused. there was also something about 2yr provisional on the bike part as well, IIRC.

dunno if the moped thing is still true.
    though its worth pointing out that a hairdryer has more power

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

kennyk wrote:
    It used to be that a full car licence gave you moped too, and unlimited provisional motorbike up to 125cc ( or c.750cc with sidecar aka wheel-onna-stick ;) ) or am I getting confused. there was also something about 2yr provisional on the bike part as well, IIRC.

dunno if the moped thing is still true.
    though its worth pointing out that a hairdryer has more power
    I think it's all changed now KennyK. You need to do your CBT in order to ride anything up to 125cc.

If you have a full car licence gained after 1 February 2001 you must complete CBT before riding a moped. If your licence was gained before 1 February 2001 you are entitled to ride a moped without taking CBT.
    I don't like stuff that sucks.

Cloffo I, King of Scots Cloth-Ears's Avatar
    Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

You can ride a moped if you have a car licence. Period.

Moped is a bit of a misnomer but basically what is meant is up to 49cc and having a top powered speed of 30 mph.

Up to 125 cc and under 33 bhp is classed as a light motorcycle. You need to get a provisional licence for that or get your car licence ammended with the new provisional entitlement.

However with a light motorcycle you have to pass your CBT ( Certificate of Basic Training ) before you are allowed on the road. It lasts a day.

You must continue to wear L plates on a light motorcycle until you have passed your full motorcycle test.

You don't need to pass your CBT to ride a moped if you have a car licence, however you definitely ought to. Two wheels are very different and there are a lot of words of wisdom imparted during the day.

To get a licence for a larger motorcycle you have to do the full training and test, which is not easy.

Just a bit of opinion about 49cc machines. Don't. Why ? They are highly dangerous because you will be riding at or around your maximum speed, other road userswill constantly be trying to cut you up. If you ride slower and adopt a more bicycle riding position you in grave danger of curbside dangers and emerging traffic at too high a speed for the position. So, its catch 22.You also will look stupid, especially if you have the protective clothing - which you ought to anyway, and you will sound stupid - zip-zip-nheeeeegh............ Get a light motorcycle. You couldmake thata scooter if you prefer.

Best of all - DON'T. Why ? Because the road traffic accident statistics speak for themselves, because the protective clothing is a hassle to take on and off but you really must wear it, becauserunning two wheels is notas cheap as you think, because it is not a year round transport solution, because it'll be a target for thieves and vandals.

EDIT: Also see Leonard Small's post re 2001.

World's greatest hessian sack escapologist.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

One rule for you eh Clothy and another for the rest of us?

I don't like stuff that sucks.

Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yes, that is correct.

In 1939, an ammendment was passed to legislation under War Cats Provisions. In view of the urgency to employ cats as motorcycle couriers it was felt that licences should be waived. It was reasoned that because of the fast reactions of cats they would be able to handle any road situation and adapt quickly. Indeed, having nine lives was the most confidence inspiring thing. After the war, with so much to be done with housing, the health service and finding jobs for returning servicemen, these special cat rules - which were meant to be temporary - were unintentionally overlookedand to this day have stood.

Of course the rule is pretty obscure and it does sometimes cause confusion or the odd raised eyebrow. Iremember being stopped by a policeman after doing 130 mph in town on a Kawasaki 1200. The policeman said to me" 'Ere, whats' a cat doing riding a big bike like that? You're not allowed to do that. Anyway, do you have a license to speed like a nutter?" Well, I looked at him sideways with a sneer, then smirked like a Chesire cat. I told him, " Look, if you don't know about the War Cats Provisions Act then I think you had better fuck off out of force, C**t". He looked at me, well you know he was a bit stunned. I continued, " And in any case don't you know I have nine lives ? Therefore I am allowed to speed around as fast as I fucking well like", and I pointed with my paw to the line in the by now yellowing rule book, which said " All motorcycle cats may speed around as fast as they fucking well like". The officer scratched his head, looking a bit foolish. "Well, the law is the law" he said. And with that I revved up, shouting "C U N T " over my shoulder as I sped off.

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Cloth-Ears wrote:
    You can ride a moped if you have a car licence. Period.
    I think you'll find the DVLA will disagree if you got your car licence after 2001!

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/rdmcycle.htm

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Cloth-Ears wrote:
    Yes, that is correct.

In 1939, an ammendment was passed to legislation under War Cats Provisions. In view of the urgency to employ cats as motorcycle couriers it was felt that licences should be waived. It was reasoned that because of the fast reactions of cats they would be able to handle any road situation and adapt quickly. Indeed, having nine lives was the most confidence inspiring thing. After the war, with so much to be done with housing, the health service and finding jobs for returning servicemen, these special cat rules - which were meant to be temporary - were unintentionally overlookedand to this day have stood.

Of course the rule is pretty obscure and it does sometimes cause confusion or the odd raised eyebrow. Iremember being stopped by a policeman after doing 130 mph in town on a Kawasaki 1200. The policeman said to me" 'Ere, whats' a cat doing riding a big bike like that? You're not allowed to do that. Anyway, do you have a license to speed like a nutter?" Well, I looked at him sideways with a sneer, then smirked like a Chesire cat. I told him, " Look, if you don't know about the War Cats Provisions Act then I think you had better fuck off out of force, C**t". He looked at me, well you know he was a bit stunned. I continued, " And in any case don't you know I have nine lives ? Therefore I am allowed to speed around as fast as I fucking well like", and I pointed with my paw to the line in the by now yellowing rule book, which said " All motorcycle cats may speed around as fast as they fucking well like". The officer scratched his head, looking a bit foolish. "Well, the law is the law" he said. And with that I revved up, shouting "C U N T " over my shoulder as I sped off.

:lmao:were you Peter Cook ina previous life Cloffo?

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     μΩ/Tascam/
    Integrated Amp
     MF/Quad
    Speakers
     MF/Heybrook
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earl of sodbury wrote:
    Cloth-Ears wrote:
    Yes, that is correct.

:lmao:were you Peter Cook ina previous life Cloffo?
    and you know what?

the cunt wouldn't even get up.

cunt.

;)

Wammer

Post imported post

I ran over a woman the other day on my motorcycle. I mean, it was her fault, 'cause she was just attracting attention 'cause she was walking across the pedestrian crossing, with a stick. She was lit up in the glow of the Belisha beacon - you could scarcely miss her, you know. Well, the motorcycle ripped straight up her and the exhaust caught her knickers and, er, burned them, you know, and charred her round the, you know, the... 'toilet area', shall we say.

So naturally I stooped down to... uh... to... rape her.

And this, er, policeman came up and said, "'Ere! Er, stop that! What are you doing?"

I said, "I am a war veteran. I am trying to, er... gain some publicity for the deprived. So show some fucking respect." And he just saluted and fucked off and I went down the bakers and bought some cakes. It's my life. It's my fucking life! I'm not having some upstart tell me what my rights are - I fought for those rights in two world wars. What's this country coming to.

"The more unintelligent a man is,
    the less mysterious existence seems to him."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     μΩ/Tascam/
    Integrated Amp
     MF/Quad
    Speakers
     MF/Heybrook
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Mr Pond wrote:
    . I am trying to, er... gain some publicity for the deprived.
    dunno about deprived, yer certainly gaining publicity for the depraved ;)

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Compulsary Basic Training is a must have before you can take to the road , unless you already have a full motorcycle license.

chezi.

Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Earl, I do look to Cook for inspiration, but at 39 I'm certainly no reincarnation of him.

The thing I lifted straight, hands up to it, was the line " I think you had better fuck off out of the force", which I think is one of the funniest lines ever written in comedy. I guessed some of you folks would recognise it. But the rest is all new, albeit inspired by the so recognisable style of Cook and other bizarro type comedians.

I hope it didn't come over as all copied, for I really just made it up. Did you enjoy it though ?

Chezi:

I don't think CBT is compulsory for a car licence holding moded rider, unless the law changed very recently. But as I said , the CBT even for a car driver riding a moped is really worth doing.

EDIT: I've just seen Leonard Small's post above re licences post 2001, so that might affect the situation depending on when she got her carlicence.

Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

kennyk wrote:
    Mr Pond wrote:
    . I am trying to, er... gain some publicity for the deprived.
    dunno about deprived, yer certainly gaining publicity for the depraved ;)
    And this stuff is unsuitable for miners.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Cloth-Ears wrote:
    Earl, I do look to Cook for inspiration, but at 39 I'm certainly no reincarnation of him.

The thing I lifted straight, hands up to it, was the line " I think you had better fuck off out of the force", which I think is one of the funniest lines ever written in comedy. I guessed some of you folks would recognise it. But the rest is all new, albeit inspired by the so recognisable style of Cook and other bizarro type comedians.

I hope it didn't come over as all copied, for I really just made it up. Did you enjoy it though ?
    Recognised the style, but I don't remember Cookie ever thinking he was a cat - though anything was possible - so your originailty is a given. Made I Larf: as my cross-dressing formerboss used to say "would of made a cat larf"; nuff said.

fnarr member
    Real Name
     Julian
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge Audio NP30
    DAC
     A/S DAX Decade
    Integrated Amp
     Technics SU-X860
    Speakers
     Mission 700le.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

mr pond,
    i have actually run over an old woman with a motor cycle - for real. she just stepped out in front of me from infront of a stationary artic i was overtaking in a traffic queue. old cow made me walk her to the hospital even though she only had a ladder in her nora batty baggy tights. should have been looking where she was going.
    i reported it to the plod - who just laughed and told me to be on my way.

From now on if my comment can be expressed in the form of a tired internet meme or picture.
    So it shall be done.

Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I can't remember Cook thi nking he was a cat either.

Oh I just spotted something else lifted from his sketches: the use of " 'Ere " by the policeman while attempting to stop a behaviour. But that's it.

I think I have quite an active imagination in general. In this case I just thought myself into being a cat stopped by a cop and how a smart arse cat might get the better of him by quoting from the rule book. Simple. I had seen and heard the style of the conversation many times so it was easy to construct.

Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I can't remember Cook thi nking he was a cat either.

Oh I just spotted something else lifted from his sketches: the use of " 'Ere " by the policeman while attempting to stop a behaviour. But that's it.

I think I have quite an active imagination in general. In this case I just thought myself into being a cat stopped by a cop and how a smart arse cat might get the better of him by quoting from the rule book. Simple. I had seen and heard the style of the conversation many times so it was easy to construct.

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Thanks for the help guys, girlfriend is now booked in for a CBT course in 2 weeks time.