Mains Cables R Us. Temple Audio  Cranage Hifi Show
    Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

anyone know what its like?

Im picking one uplater for £20, thought it was worth a shot. Wonder if its better than my MF X-DAC (old design)?

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

roll_with_it wrote:

Im picking one uplater for £20, thought it was worth a shot. Wonder if its better than my MF X-DAC (old design)?
    It'll definitiely be different - and at first that may sound better; I've not heard that model on its own (it'susually teamed with the DAC5), butthe inbuilt DAChas a lower sampling rate than the X-DAC,and many seem to findsuch DACshave a more "analogue"-like quality to the sound. Provided the laser is in good order it should at least make a decent transport, so no loss.

Both it and the X-DAC will respond well to modding.

churz, eofs

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

cheers, I might keep an eye out for the matching dac too, provided it sounds ok.

Also got the opportunity to go for a Marantz CD45 (even older) for £10! Not sure whether its worth the bother though...

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

roll_with_it wrote:
    cheers, I might keep an eye out for the matching dac too, provided it sounds ok.

Also got the opportunity to go for a Marantz CD45 (even older) for £10! Not sure whether its worth the bother though...
    Provided it's actually working, you'll at least get your money back via ThiefBay, so it might be fun if you can be arsed...

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

yeah, you're probably right. I used to have a CD63 (my first CDP), and it served me well for years! Wish i'd kept it

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Roll with it, I have a DAC5 sitting around doing nothing: PM me if you are interested.

Boxer

Wammer

Post imported post

roll_with_it wrote:

evening gazette? small ads?you must be from 'round 'ere

lol, I thought about going for that, cheap enough so that if you don't like it you most likely could flog it on ebay and make a profit.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi chaps,

Tried the DAD5 properly last night, not in a hung over state like the day before!

Seems better than the DVD/X-DAC combo. Better seperation perhaps. The tope end seems a lot brighter, maybe just a tad harsh. The bass seems somehow a tad stronger too. Defintely a keeper for now.

Boxer, just PM'd you bout the DAC, cheers.

Unc Bob, green ad-mag, bought from a decent chap in Guisborough where I used to live.Goodol' Hartlepool now!

Ah, picked up a Marantz CD45 from the same guy. Not much in it sound quality wise, but no remote. So thats one for eBay shortly I think.

Wammer

Post imported post

RWI

I'm just down the road from you in the 'boro.

Is the mission going to be your main source? or is just a whimsical thing 'cause it was going cheap...

I see you're selling your amp over on the classifieds, shame I'm skint atm having just bought a new cdp, might 'ave been very interested otherwise.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi Unc Bob,

Fancy that, someone on the forum within 45674247 miles of me!

If you want you could always come around and have a listen to the Qinpu. I'd like to hear others opinions.

The DAD5, am using it as my main source, as it probably has the edge over my MF X-DAC to be honest, but to be honest, I still havent decided what im doing long term. I know I can get a much better system with older gear (2nd hand), but im also swaying towards something like the current model Exposure 2010S system or Creeks new range.

I've been recommended Densen and Sonneteer amps, but neither come up 2nd hand that often.

Another route is more Chinese gear, but im not keen on the idea of having to send it back abroad for any repairs if it goes wrong.

So much to choose, thats the problem...

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Just thought I'd mention it but I bought a dAD 5 to use as a stand in coz I broke my Pioneer PD-S703, while the 703 is not 'top of the range' is clearly outclassed the dAD 5 ten fold. I hated every minute I had to listen to it. I eventually sold it and bought a Marantz CD52 mkII which is a far nicer sounding machine. IMHO anyway. As for the Pioneers, I still love em and will probably get another one, them and the Marantz are similar sounding but I think the Pioneer just has something over the Marantz that I cant quite place. Better seperation I think !!

Maybe it would have sounded better with the dAC 5, but as a stand alone player, its a no no for me I'm afraid. Just sounded so thin and seemed to lack a bit of everything !!

Anyway, of to look for bargains now.

BORED FUCKING SHITLESS !!!