Mains Cables R Us. Temple Audio  Cranage Hifi Show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first turntable

purplepleaser

Post imported post

Hi guys,I have been thinking of getting a turntable, just wondering any good one's for a beginner. what would extra kit would i need after buying the tt, i haven't got a clue. I have seen this in a magazine and it looks really nice and simple Clear audio emotion it says that it has everthing needed.

It is just a thought at the minute but any ideas may help me decide

cheers lee

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

Post imported post

whats your budget Lee?

My whole rig is up for sale, have been offered a nice trade in price, match it and it's yours.

Consists of Michell Tecnodec/Roksan Tabriz ZI arm, and Shure V15vmxr cart, with graham slee era gold V phonostage

PM for more info

purplepleaser

Post imported post

hi ak, not sure on the budget front. i do not know what ineed to add a turntable to my setup. i have been thinking about one for a few weeks as a way of adding something without changing or up grading my current setup. your set up looks well nice by the way. I will be looking back end of this year if i was to get a turntable or up grade anything else. just trying to find out what i need as if i went in to a hifi shop i could be out of pocket. i would like something simple and stylish. i think that my budget would be about a grand( all those cd's i could get for a grand). i'm talking myself out of a tt already. we'll see, cheers for the offer .........lee

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

You obviuosly will get more bang for your buck second-hand especially if you buy from trusted fellow forum members (hint hint). For £1000, you can seriously get a good setup. You'll obviuosly need a phonostage as well.

Anyways, TT's are great if you have alot of LPs. If not, the broad concensus seems to be that CD players are quickly catching up sound-wise and the extra money might be better of spent on the CD player upgrade or more CDs.

But if you're like me and like shiny black plastic plates spinning around and enjoy being able to tweak the TT, then I'd say, go for it!

JJ

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

purplepleaser wrote:
    all those cd's i could get for a grand
    yeah but how much vinyl could you buy for that too ;)
    Good LPs start from about 20 pence each in your local charity shop!

Hawk

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yup! I bought about 500 LPs in the space of 3-6 months... not had the chance to listen to them all yet.

But also, don't forget to budget for a cleaner in the future... I'd recommend the Oki Nokki for £225... :dude:

JJ

purplepleaser

Post imported post

Hawk wrote:
    purplepleaser wrote:

Hawk

i wish you had not said that already running out of room with the cd collection..........cheers lee

purplepleaser

Post imported post

whats the the banks number just spotted a mansion going cheap

Post imported post

lee ygpm

purplepleaser

Post imported post

jonjin wrote:
    Anyways, TT's are great if you have alot of LPs.

better get down the 20pence route

lee

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

purplepleaser wrote:
    Hawk wrote:
    purplepleaser wrote:

Hawk
    ¬*

i wish you had not said that already running out of room with the cd collection..........cheers¬*¬* lee
    Sorry mate, but i find vinyl collecting even more addictive than CD

Of course its not all 20p you can pay upto a £5 for high quality stuff from secondhand record shops. Car boots seem to have plenty between 50p and a couple of quid and then of course there is ebay.. The downside is that you do end up with the odd disappointment when something turns out to be unplayable.

Hawk

purplepleaser

Post imported post

Hawk wrote:
    Of course its not all 20p you can pay upto a £5 for high quality stuff from secondhand record shops. Car boots seem to have plenty between 50p and a couple of quid and then of course there is ebay.. The downside is that you do end up with the odd disappointment when something turns out to be unplayable.

Hawk

hey i've spent 13 quid on plenty of cd's that have been almost unlistenable.dam reviews

lee

purplepleaser

Post imported post

it seems sugden do this for my bijou set up:

Bijou Phono Amplifier
    Long awaited by Sugden bijou owners and vinyl users, the Bijou phono amplifier will enter into production over the summer. Housed in the now familiar heavyweight titanium case, the new phono amplifier is of an identical footprint to the other Bijou components.
    Inputs cater for both MM and MC cartridges with the capability for loading the MC input to suit your cartridge or the recording as required. Loading plugs are supplied to offer easy external adjustment with settings for 100 Ohm, 470 Ohm and 470K Ohm. Selection for MM or MC gain is relay controlled by a front panel control. Separate circuit boards are employed for the high gain circuits and regulated power supply. Internal signal wiring will be silver PTFE coated.
    first paragraph makes sense and the second well

lee

Post imported post

the only thing is wrong with the bijou phon stage is the price, gotta be most of yer budget.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I have just aquired a lovely Project Debut and phono stage threough a freind. As I have NO vinyl at all, I will from now be making frequent trips to secondhand record shops and charityshops too. There must be a few gems that never made it onto CD that I can unearth for a measly sum.
    [Luke:] I can't believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

purplepleaser wrote:
    it seems sugden do this for my bijou set up:

Bijou Phono Amplifier
    Long awaited by Sugden bijou owners and vinyl users, the Bijou phono amplifier will enter into production over the summer. Housed in the now familiar heavyweight titanium case, the new phono amplifier is of an identical footprint to the other Bijou components.
    Inputs cater for both MM and MC cartridges with the capability for loading the MC input to suit your cartridge or the recording as required. Loading plugs are supplied to offer easy external adjustment with settings for 100 Ohm, 470 Ohm and 470K Ohm. Selection for MM or MC gain is relay controlled by a front panel control. Separate circuit boards are employed for the high gain circuits and regulated power supply. Internal signal wiring will be silver PTFE coated.
    first paragraph makes sense and the second well

lee
    Basically Lee its like this! MM stands for Moving Magnet and MC stands for Moving coil. These two types of cartridge usually differ in the strength of output signal they give to your pre amp. Usually MM signals are stronger than MC signals. The job of your phono stage is to amplify the signal to a level similar to that that comes out of your CD player. The sugden phono is basically adjustable so that it can cope with all the various different cartridge types. Other phono stages can sometimes only cope with one level of amplication and are therefore only suited to one type of cartridge. the phono stage sits between the TT and your pre.

Hope that helps

Hawk

purplepleaser

Post imported post

analoguekid wrote:
    the only thing is wrong with the bijou phon stage is the price, gotta be most of yer budget.

I think that it is £500 cough ish. It's the tech things in that write up that blows my mind. I told you that i was a novice at all this hifi thing. May'be i keep the idea's to myself .

lee

purplepleaser

Post imported post

Hi Hawk, thanks for that info. I am getting there but still daunting though.

lee

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

purplepleaser wrote:
    Hi Hawk, thanks for that info. I am getting there but still daunting though.

lee
    No problem Lee, try not to let it put you off. All the info you need is very easy to find on the web and there are plenty of folk here that can help you get the right settings. Its a one off set up (until you change cartridge!) and all you would have to do is tell us what cartridge you have and youll have all the answers in no time. Some make it out to be a bit of a black art, but it really isnt.

Hawk

purplepleaser

Post imported post

I really want that Killers in the blue vinyl.

cheers again Hawk

lee