Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Great article on how fungus treated wood used to make a violin beat a Strad in blind testing...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0914111418.htm

JJ

Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

jonjin wrote:
    Great article on how fungus treated wood used to make a violin beat a Strad in blind testing...

JJ
    Very interesting! Thanks.

It shows, though, that judging anything subjectively is something of a problem. Fashions change, and expectations change, so something that was once thought to be "the best" however that was judged, can now be found lacking.

There was a programme on Radio 4 a few weeks ago about carbon-fibre violins. These were designed to be easily (and cheaply) manufactured so that more children could pick up the violin, although initially, they would be very expensive until mass-production took over. The CF violin was compared with a Stradivarius, and clearly was lacking, but just like MP3s, if modern students get used to the sound of a plastic fiddle, that will become "right" and perhaps a "proper" wooden instrument will sound weak, or thin or whatever in comparison.

As the article makes clear, objective measuruements of a violin's sound are impossible, but nevertheless, the subjective alternative also gives rise to problems.

Wine tasting anyone?

S.

Real Name
     Adam
    Digital Source 1
     SB3
    DAC
     DitB
    Integrated Amp
     Sony V-FET
    Speakers
     JBL L300 Summit
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Very cool; surely materials science has to catch up with the old masters soon?
    Compression drivers twerk my eardrums

Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Rebuilt LAB 500
    T/Arm & Cart
     SHURE M3D
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     MasterSound/Bryston
    Speakers
     K&H 0300D
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    Power Amp
     In my Speakers.
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Carbon fibre guitars sound awful. I have a rainsong I got for christmas last year..

it sounds horrid.

i keep it around out of respect for the person that bought it(my lovely wife, God Bless Her!) but it sounds really synthetic and "wonky"
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     YL Landfill Olympian
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Lots
    Headphones
     Make u look a cunt
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SergeAuckland wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

JJ

It shows, though, that judging anything subjectively is something of a problem. Fashions change, and expectations change, so something that was once thought to be "the best" however that was judged, can now be found lacking.

There was a programme on Radio 4 a few weeks ago about carbon-fibre violins. These were designed to be easily (and cheaply) manufactured so that more children could pick up the violin, although initially, they would be very expensive until mass-production took over. The CF violin was compared with a Stradivarius, and clearly was lacking, but just like MP3s, if modern students get used to the sound of a plastic fiddle, that will become "right" and perhaps a "proper" wooden instrument will sound weak, or thin or whatever in comparison.

As the article makes clear, objective measuruements of a violin's sound are impossible, but nevertheless, the subjective alternative also gives rise to problems.

Wine tasting anyone?

S.
    I listened to that programme in the car and though the CF one sounded pretty dire in comparison.
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

Real Name
     Patrick
    Turn Table
     TW Acustic
    T/Arm & Cart
     Kuzma 4Point
    SUT/Phono
     Nagra VPS
    Digital Source 1
     BAT VK-D5
    Speakers
     ATC 100 ASL
    Pre Amp
     Esoteric
    Power Amp
     ATC Active amp packs
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

That's great - I can strike Carbon fibre speakers off my Christmas pressie list, and bung a load of fungal spores down the bass ports of my current pair.
    Bargain
    - Relaxing in front of the fire -

Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

i_should_coco wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

JJ

Wine tasting anyone?

S.
    I listened to that programme in the car and though the CF one sounded pretty dire in comparison.
    I agree, it did sound poor in comparison, but that's my point, it's because of what were're used to. If CF became the norm for violins, (like MP3s for music) there'e a risk that that's what kids expect violins to sound like, just like heavily compressed (both dynamically and data rates) music.

S.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SergeAuckland wrote:
    Wine tasting anyone?
    Briefly saw an episode with Hugh Fearnley (river cottage fella) blind tasting wine made with pinot noir grapes. A couple of bottles from established wine makers in Burgundy and one from an amateur wine maker who grew his pinot noir grapes in his back garden. I can’t remember the exact location but it was somewhere like Stoke on Trent.

Wine experts were invited to taste the wines and by a significant margin preferred the pinot noir from Stoke on Trent to the pinot noir from Burgundy. Not that all wines taste the same, because they don’t.

As for wood in acoustic instruments, I can tell a guitar made with a mahogany soundboard (the top bit with the ‘ole in it) from a guitar made with a spruce soundboard. The former has a warmer tone, the latter a brighter tone. I think!

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

So how does one go about measuring tone?

Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     SL-1210M5G
    Digital Source 1
     Exposure 2010S
    Integrated Amp
     MF A3.5
    Speakers
     MA GS10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

jonjin wrote:
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?

Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?
    I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

S.

Real Name
     Antony Willman
    Turn Table
     WB Full Circle
    T/Arm & Cart
     Benz Glider
    SUT/Phono
     Built in
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge Audio 851C
    Digital Source 2
     CA Stream Magic 6
    Speakers
     ATC 20A Towers
    Pre Amp
     Modwright LS-100
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

mosfet wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    Wine tasting anyone?
    Briefly saw an episode with Hugh Fearnley (river cottage fella) blind tasting wine made with pinot noir grapes. A couple of bottles from established wine makers in Burgundy and one from an amateur wine maker who grew his pinot noir grapes in his back garden. I can’t remember the exact location but it was somewhere like Stoke on Trent.

Wine experts were invited to taste the wines and by a significant margin preferred the pinot noir from Stoke on Trent to the pinot noir from Burgundy. Not that all wines taste the same, because they don’t.

As for wood in acoustic instruments, I can tell a guitar made with a mahogany soundboard (the top bit with the ‘ole in it) from a guitar made with a spruce soundboard. The former has a warmer tone, the latter a brighter tone. I think!

Bugger, does that mean I have to swap my magnum of '81 Petrus with Serge for a bottle of ribena?

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

S.

And in that respect, I actually realised myself that the wam isn't an out and out hifi site.

I actually prefer it this way though, the kit only has to work and sound good to my ears. Not arsed about measurements, but they can be useful in understanding why you like something?

Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

aswillman wrote:
    mosfet wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    Wine tasting anyone?

Bugger, does that mean I have to swap my magnum of '81 Petrus with Serge for a bottle of ribena?
    I'll even give you two bottles of Ribena, and throw in some Chilean Merlot.....

S.

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Well (Bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     WT / Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz transport
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS
    Integrated Amp
     In the workshop
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 nutter
    Headphones
     Nah
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

S.

Serge my old son, if you ever have sex, do you time every part of theprocedure and worry if things don't happen in the correct order?

I worry about you, really I do.

Never mind Paul, I think you're the one we should all be watching.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

rabski wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

S.

Serge my old son, if you ever have sex, do you time every part of theprocedure and worry if things don't happen in the correct order?

Sex?

S.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SergeAuckland wrote:
    rabski wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:

S.

Sex?

S.
    It's what we do when we are not measuring capacitors.
    I got the napalm blues, from my green tin hat to my combat boots
    Hill 1098, Nui Ba-Na \'67

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Well (Bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     WT / Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz transport
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS
    Integrated Amp
     In the workshop
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 nutter
    Headphones
     Nah
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Sex?

S.
    Don't worry. There's a thread in the Price Albert where you can post your measurements.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

don't under estimate the power of mushrooms...

http://www.wimp.com/mushroomssave/
    want some free chicken breasts? order from here -
    http://www.musclefood.com/AM35117
    as recommended by Jesus