Epiphany Acoustics Temple Audio  Audio Emotion 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Founding Wammer jonjin's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     4,699
    Location
     London
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Great article on how fungus treated wood used to make a violin beat a Strad in blind testing...

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0914111418.htm

    JJ

  2. #2
    Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Join Date
     May 2008
    Posts
     12,023
    Location
     Bury St Edmunds, UK
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     TSD15, Spirit,V15VSa
    SUT/Phono
     AT630, Hafler
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & DCX
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    jonjin wrote:
    Great article on how fungus treated wood used to make a violin beat a Strad in blind testing...

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0914111418.htm

    JJ
    Very interesting! Thanks.

    It shows, though, that judging anything subjectively is something of a problem. Fashions change, and expectations change, so something that was once thought to be "the best" however that was judged, can now be found lacking.

    There was a programme on Radio 4 a few weeks ago about carbon-fibre violins. These were designed to be easily (and cheaply) manufactured so that more children could pick up the violin, although initially, they would be very expensive until mass-production took over. The CF violin was compared with a Stradivarius, and clearly was lacking, but just like MP3s, if modern students get used to the sound of a plastic fiddle, that will become "right" and perhaps a "proper" wooden instrument will sound weak, or thin or whatever in comparison.

    As the article makes clear, objective measuruements of a violin's sound are impossible, but nevertheless, the subjective alternative also gives rise to problems.

    Wine tasting anyone?

    S.

  3. #3
    Leper Wammer AmDismal's Avatar
    Join Date
     Apr 2007
    Posts
     9,095
    Location
     St Albans
    Real Name
     Adam
    Digital Source 1
     Raspberry Pi
    DAC
     PiDAC
    Integrated Amp
     DIY Charlize
    Speakers
     JBL L300 Summit
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Very cool; surely materials science has to catch up with the old masters soon?
    Compression drivers twerk my eardrums

  4. #4
    Cock with Aspergers ncdrawl's Avatar
    Join Date
     Dec 2008
    Posts
     8,268
    Location
     Whiteville, NC, USA
    Real Name
     Teddy Ray
    Turn Table
     Technics SL-MA1
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Technica 216EP
    SUT/Phono
     Custom Built Valve
    Digital Source 1
     JRMC V20
    DAC
     Forssell MDAC-2
    Integrated Amp
     Plinius
    Speakers
     Bespoke Kraut 'Stats
    Pre Amp
     In my DAC
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Carbon fibre guitars sound awful. I have a rainsong I got for christmas last year..

    it sounds horrid.

    i keep it around out of respect for the person that bought it(my lovely wife, God Bless Her!) but it sounds really synthetic and "wonky"
    Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary- William S. Burroughs

  5. #5
    Prosecco socialist i_should_coco's Avatar
    Join Date
     Sep 2006
    Posts
     22,054
    Location
     Luton Airport
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     HR-100S/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Speakers
     "Snell K"
    Pre Amp
     DIY stepped passive
    Power Amp
     Sony TA-5650
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    SergeAuckland wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    Great article on how fungus treated wood used to make a violin beat a Strad in blind testing...

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0914111418.htm

    JJ
    Very interesting! Thanks.

    It shows, though, that judging anything subjectively is something of a problem. Fashions change, and expectations change, so something that was once thought to be "the best" however that was judged, can now be found lacking.

    There was a programme on Radio 4 a few weeks ago about carbon-fibre violins. These were designed to be easily (and cheaply) manufactured so that more children could pick up the violin, although initially, they would be very expensive until mass-production took over. The CF violin was compared with a Stradivarius, and clearly was lacking, but just like MP3s, if modern students get used to the sound of a plastic fiddle, that will become "right" and perhaps a "proper" wooden instrument will sound weak, or thin or whatever in comparison.

    As the article makes clear, objective measuruements of a violin's sound are impossible, but nevertheless, the subjective alternative also gives rise to problems.

    Wine tasting anyone?

    S.
    I listened to that programme in the car and though the CF one sounded pretty dire in comparison.
    CD players - computer audio for dummies.

  6. #6
    Ticking over Stuckinarut's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     410
    Location
     Stuck in Rutland.
    Real Name
     Patrick
    Turn Table
     TW Acustic
    T/Arm & Cart
     Kuzma 4Point
    SUT/Phono
     Nagra VPS
    Digital Source 1
     BAT VK-D5
    Speakers
     ATC 100 ASL
    Pre Amp
     Esoteric
    Power Amp
     ATC Active amp packs
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    That's great - I can strike Carbon fibre speakers off my Christmas pressie list, and bung a load of fungal spores down the bass ports of my current pair.
    Bargain
    - Relaxing in front of the fire -

  7. #7
    Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Join Date
     May 2008
    Posts
     12,023
    Location
     Bury St Edmunds, UK
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     TSD15, Spirit,V15VSa
    SUT/Phono
     AT630, Hafler
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & DCX
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    i_should_coco wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    Great article on how fungus treated wood used to make a violin beat a Strad in blind testing...

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0914111418.htm

    JJ
    Very interesting! Thanks.

    It shows, though, that judging anything subjectively is something of a problem. Fashions change, and expectations change, so something that was once thought to be "the best" however that was judged, can now be found lacking.

    There was a programme on Radio 4 a few weeks ago about carbon-fibre violins. These were designed to be easily (and cheaply) manufactured so that more children could pick up the violin, although initially, they would be very expensive until mass-production took over. The CF violin was compared with a Stradivarius, and clearly was lacking, but just like MP3s, if modern students get used to the sound of a plastic fiddle, that will become "right" and perhaps a "proper" wooden instrument will sound weak, or thin or whatever in comparison.

    As the article makes clear, objective measuruements of a violin's sound are impossible, but nevertheless, the subjective alternative also gives rise to problems.

    Wine tasting anyone?

    S.
    I listened to that programme in the car and though the CF one sounded pretty dire in comparison.
    I agree, it did sound poor in comparison, but that's my point, it's because of what were're used to. If CF became the norm for violins, (like MP3s for music) there'e a risk that that's what kids expect violins to sound like, just like heavily compressed (both dynamically and data rates) music.

    S.

  8. #8
    Wammer mosfet's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     6,463
    Location
     Surrey
    Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Jackson
    T/Arm & Cart
     DiMarzio
    SUT/Phono
     EH Big Muff
    Integrated Amp
     Engl
    Speakers
     Celestion
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    SergeAuckland wrote:
    Wine tasting anyone?
    Briefly saw an episode with Hugh Fearnley (river cottage fella) blind tasting wine made with pinot noir grapes. A couple of bottles from established wine makers in Burgundy and one from an amateur wine maker who grew his pinot noir grapes in his back garden. I can’t remember the exact location but it was somewhere like Stoke on Trent.

    Wine experts were invited to taste the wines and by a significant margin preferred the pinot noir from Stoke on Trent to the pinot noir from Burgundy. Not that all wines taste the same, because they don’t.

    As for wood in acoustic instruments, I can tell a guitar made with a mahogany soundboard (the top bit with the ‘ole in it) from a guitar made with a spruce soundboard. The former has a warmer tone, the latter a brighter tone. I think!



  9. #9
    Founding Wammer jonjin's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     4,699
    Location
     London
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    So how does one go about measuring tone?

  10. #10
    Wammer ultrawomble's Avatar
    Join Date
     Oct 2006
    Posts
     1,721
    Location
     Manchester
    Real Name
     Jim
    Turn Table
     SL-1210M5G
    Digital Source 1
     Exposure 2010S
    Integrated Amp
     MF A3.5
    Speakers
     MA GS10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    jonjin wrote:
    So how does one go about measuring tone?
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

    Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?

  11. #11
    Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Join Date
     May 2008
    Posts
     12,023
    Location
     Bury St Edmunds, UK
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     TSD15, Spirit,V15VSa
    SUT/Phono
     AT630, Hafler
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & DCX
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    So how does one go about measuring tone?
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

    Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?
    I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

    The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

    S.



  12. #12
    Super Wammer aswillman's Avatar
    Join Date
     Feb 2008
    Posts
     505
    Location
     Upavon, UK
    Real Name
     Antony Willman
    Turn Table
     WB Full Circle
    T/Arm & Cart
     Benz Glider
    SUT/Phono
     Built in
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge CXN
    Digital Source 2
     Cambridge CXC
    DAC
     Audio Note DAC 1.1X
    Speakers
     ATC 20A Towers
    Pre Amp
     Modwright LS-100
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    mosfet wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    Wine tasting anyone?
    Briefly saw an episode with Hugh Fearnley (river cottage fella) blind tasting wine made with pinot noir grapes. A couple of bottles from established wine makers in Burgundy and one from an amateur wine maker who grew his pinot noir grapes in his back garden. I can’t remember the exact location but it was somewhere like Stoke on Trent.

    Wine experts were invited to taste the wines and by a significant margin preferred the pinot noir from Stoke on Trent to the pinot noir from Burgundy. Not that all wines taste the same, because they don’t.

    As for wood in acoustic instruments, I can tell a guitar made with a mahogany soundboard (the top bit with the ‘ole in it) from a guitar made with a spruce soundboard. The former has a warmer tone, the latter a brighter tone. I think!


    Bugger, does that mean I have to swap my magnum of '81 Petrus with Serge for a bottle of ribena?

  13. #13
    Founding Wammer kingsxfan's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jul 2005
    Posts
     2,797
    Location
     Wirral
    Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    So how does one go about measuring tone?
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

    Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?
    I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

    The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

    S.

    And in that respect, I actually realised myself that the wam isn't an out and out hifi site.

    I actually prefer it this way though, the kit only has to work and sound good to my ears. Not arsed about measurements, but they can be useful in understanding why you like something?

  14. #14
    Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Join Date
     May 2008
    Posts
     12,023
    Location
     Bury St Edmunds, UK
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     TSD15, Spirit,V15VSa
    SUT/Phono
     AT630, Hafler
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & DCX
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    aswillman wrote:
    mosfet wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    Wine tasting anyone?
    Briefly saw an episode with Hugh Fearnley (river cottage fella) blind tasting wine made with pinot noir grapes. A couple of bottles from established wine makers in Burgundy and one from an amateur wine maker who grew his pinot noir grapes in his back garden. I can’t remember the exact location but it was somewhere like Stoke on Trent.

    Wine experts were invited to taste the wines and by a significant margin preferred the pinot noir from Stoke on Trent to the pinot noir from Burgundy. Not that all wines taste the same, because they don’t.

    As for wood in acoustic instruments, I can tell a guitar made with a mahogany soundboard (the top bit with the ‘ole in it) from a guitar made with a spruce soundboard. The former has a warmer tone, the latter a brighter tone. I think!


    Bugger, does that mean I have to swap my magnum of '81 Petrus with Serge for a bottle of ribena?
    I'll even give you two bottles of Ribena, and throw in some Chilean Merlot.....

    S.

  15. #15
    Cogito, ergo doleo. rabski's Avatar
    Join Date
     Dec 2006
    Posts
     17,086
    Location
     Kettering
    Real Name
     Victor Meldrew
    Turn Table
     Well (bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     To be decided
    Digital Source 2
     Mayhem
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS/FiiO
    Integrated Amp
     Leak ST30+ etc.
    Speakers
     Living Voice IBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 SET / KT88 PP
    Headphones
     To date, no
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    So how does one go about measuring tone?
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

    Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?
    I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

    The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

    S.

    Serge my old son, if you ever have sex, do you time every part of theprocedure and worry if things don't happen in the correct order?

    I worry about you, really I do.

    Never mind Paul, I think you're the one we should all be watching.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

  16. #16
    Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Join Date
     May 2008
    Posts
     12,023
    Location
     Bury St Edmunds, UK
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     TSD15, Spirit,V15VSa
    SUT/Phono
     AT630, Hafler
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & DCX
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    rabski wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    So how does one go about measuring tone?
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

    Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?
    I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

    The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

    S.

    Serge my old son, if you ever have sex, do you time every part of theprocedure and worry if things don't happen in the correct order?

    I worry about you, really I do.

    Never mind Paul, I think you're the one we should all be watching.
    Sex?

    S.

  17. #17
    Super Sausage penance's Avatar
    Join Date
     Aug 2005
    Posts
     4,086
    Location
     Disappearing up my o
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    SergeAuckland wrote:
    rabski wrote:
    SergeAuckland wrote:
    ultrawomble wrote:
    jonjin wrote:
    So how does one go about measuring tone?
    No with one's ears if the results of the blind test are to be believed

    Good question though. I expect that you could get a computer to recognise them though and accurately determine which instrument is which - some form of pattern recognition software that would pick up subtle harmonics perhaps?
    I agree that with enough effort I would expect a computer could identify which was which. However, no computer (or set of measurements) will ever be able to tell you which sounds better, as "better" is entirely subjective.

    The main thing I've learned on the 'Wam, somewhat to my discomfiture, is that what sounds people actually prefer in their own homes has little to do with measured performance.

    S.

    Serge my old son, if you ever have sex, do you time every part of theprocedure and worry if things don't happen in the correct order?

    I worry about you, really I do.

    Never mind Paul, I think you're the one we should all be watching.
    Sex?

    S.
    It's what we do when we are not measuring capacitors.
    I got the napalm blues, from my green tin hat to my combat boots
    Hill 1098, Nui Ba-Na \'67

  18. #18
    Cogito, ergo doleo. rabski's Avatar
    Join Date
     Dec 2006
    Posts
     17,086
    Location
     Kettering
    Real Name
     Victor Meldrew
    Turn Table
     Well (bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     To be decided
    Digital Source 2
     Mayhem
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS/FiiO
    Integrated Amp
     Leak ST30+ etc.
    Speakers
     Living Voice IBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 SET / KT88 PP
    Headphones
     To date, no
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    Sex?

    S.
    Don't worry. There's a thread in the Price Albert where you can post your measurements.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
     Aug 2006
    Posts
     17,177
    Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    Post imported post

    don't under estimate the power of mushrooms...

    http://www.wimp.com/mushroomssave/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •