Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 

Thread: Help!

Wammer

Post imported post

My recently acquired Densen b400 cd player has decided to go on strike and stop working it powers on ok but when you press open, open is displayed on the screen but the draw doesn’t open.
    Does any one know if this can be fixed easily or am I going to have to send it to Densen to be repaired?

Thanks

Post imported post

I'd send it back to Densen, don't they have a lifetime guarantee?

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

does the drawer try to open? Is there something stuck in there? Got kids?

Wammer

Post imported post

I believe it does have a lifetime warranty but I got this second hand so I’m not sure if it will still apply.
    It does not seem to make any sort of mechanical noise that would indicate it trying to open so it could be something wrong with the software on it.
    I’m not sure how it could have happened it was working fine yesterday, possibly a mains spike because I left it turned on last night

Post imported post

have you switched it off, unplugged it?

leave it unplugged overnight, perhaps software will reboot?, it's a guess, either that or draw motor is shot in some way, elctrical or mechanical, I'm sure it won't be too hard to fix, even if densen wont do it for nothing, thy'll still do it.

Wammer

Post imported post

I’ve tried turning it on and off and it didn’t do anything, I phoned my local Densen dealer in Taunton about 120miles away he seemed to think that it would have to go back to Densen. While its there I might as well get it upgraded to plus spec.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

If the warranty is anything like that of Bryston, it will be transferable, highly likely if it comes with a lifetime warranty. Give them a call at least.
    [Luke:] I can't believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'd prepare yourself for the worst asI have a feeling it only applies to the original buyer. I always thought the Densen trays to be a bit wobbly. When I comacross a new cdp I always seem to want to give trays a wobble and marvel or frown at the build. Its a bit like kicking the tyres of a car, it tells you nothing!
    You go for a walk in the park one day and wheelchair ninjas, Nazis, and pots and pans robots show up to kill you. And dinosaurs show up to eat the remains. You\'ve seen the news...?

Wammer

Post imported post

Sony6million wrote:
    "I always thought the Densen trays to be a bit wobbly. When I comacross a new cdp I always seem to want to give trays a wobble and marvel or frown at the
    build."

I do see what you mean by the build quality of the transport it is quite flimsy, but I have now managed to get the draw to open somehow so it not the draw motor but when I put a cd in it didn’t even think that there was a cd in there and it then didn’t what to let the cd out, its quite a strange problem.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

its not a strange problem at all, but in my experience I needed a whole new laser assy.
    You go for a walk in the park one day and wheelchair ninjas, Nazis, and pots and pans robots show up to kill you. And dinosaurs show up to eat the remains. You\'ve seen the news...?

Umberto

Post imported post

drmattx wrote:
    My recently acquired Densen b400 cd player has decided to go on strike and stop working it powers on ok but when you press open, open is displayed on the screen but the draw doesn’t open.
    Does any one know if this can be fixed easily or am I going to have to send it to Densen to be repaired?

Thanks
    Ah. The latest member of the "HiFi on the blink owners club". Maybe we should have a sticky for the most reliable (or unreliable)hifi.

Wammer

Post imported post

I took my dead Densen to mike manning audio in Taunton today the guy in the shop said that because I was upgrading to plus spec it was pretty unlikely that Densen would charge for the repairs. The only problem is that it’s going to be about 2-3 weeks before I can get it back. But anyway it will sound better that it ever did before.

Talking of which, whilst I was there I took the opportunity to demo some equipment a Densen b400 plus which is what my b400 should return as, a Naim nait5i and some Focal jm lab cobalt 806s and the sound was mightily impressive the sound was a lot quicker and punchier that my 602s3 which I compared them to. There was also more air to the sound as well. I think that a speaker upgrade is in now in order.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Its good to hear about some positive aspects during your mini crisis. When the 3 weeks are up it will seem like they went by in a flash.

think you'd be interested in the Nait or are you using one already?

Wammer

Post imported post

Sony6million wrote:
    Its good to hear about some positive aspects during your mini crisis. When the 3 weeks are up it will seem like they went by in a flash.

think you'd be interested in the Nait or are you using one already?
    At the moment I have an arcam alpha 10 which is 100watts per channel and i had never really considered the nait because I didn’t think it would have enough power, but after hearing it I can safely say how wrong I was it drove the 602s3 harder and faster than the arcam ever did so the nait is on my shopping list to. I would like densen amp so it would match my cd player but they are a bit out of my league price wise. At lest with the naim the remote doesn’t cost £200.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yeah but the Gizmo has its own rechargeable cradle! You're right though, I refuse to splash £349 for a (black) Bow remote. I'll walk across and change track 349 times, then consider it.

Ah, a tight scotsman, I love it.

Post imported post

Sony the bow will work with a cyrus remote, I'm surprised it doesn't work with your fancy AVI one, (IIRC) try a philips setting, its pretty universal.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

oh it does work with the AVI one, AK, and it came with a generic plastic model from manufacturer so I have two to choose from. Or one for each hand, if the girlfriend is trying to assume control of skynet.

Wammer

Post imported post

Maybe I would consider getting the gizmo, I did have a play with one in the show room it did feel very nice in my hand, if it worked with the Nait that I just ordered at lest it would be one remote for two units.

Wammer

Post imported post

I thought I would write a bit of an update.

Today I went back up to Taunton to collect my fixed and upgraded Densen, they changed the transport as part of the repair and changed the DAC board as the upgrade, so it’s like a completely new cd player now. I was only charged for the upgrade which was £300 and did not even have to pay for international shipping, which was quite good.

Also while I was around in the Taunton area I though I would go up to Bristol, ended up going to Sevenoaks and noticed that they had some exdem Kef Xq'1s going cheap so I had a 1 hour demo of them and compared them to some monitor audio GR10's which I did not like so I walked out of Sevenoaks with the Kef’s. After they are run in I will give a review of my new system.

Matt.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Nice one

Its funny how one upgrade often leads to another one in a short space of time isnt it (eh duvet;))

look forward to hearing how it sounds

Hawk