Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Has anyone heard the above speakers? Anyone know how they comparewiththe likes of Triangle Celius or JM Labs Chorus 826V. Bit of a daft question I know but Ilike to start as I mean to go onOpinions and experiences appreciated!

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Are these the ones that What?HiFi? are keen on? If so I've only heard their predecessors, at a show, where they were underwhelming...

As always, if you possibly can you need to home demo, every combination of kit, room, and listener is different.

churz, eofs

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I know mate, I'm just investigating some of the speaker manufacturers that a dealer I'm hoping to visit in the new year sells. These speakerswill bein my price range, I just like to hear what other people reckon of them andinterested in what to expect really.I'mgettin' itchy feet!:gag:

Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     Audiolab 8200CDQ
    Integrated Amp
     iFi Audio iCAN
    Speakers
     Beyerdynamic T1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

When auditioning the Triangle speakers, bear in mind that they are reputed to take an age to break in. Full performance is apparently only reached after 1000 hours or so. For the first couple of hundred hours they are best locked away to play to themselves. Be sure to audition a well-used pair.

The only well-used Triangles I've heard are Effem's Antal 202's. They sounded superb to my ears and seemed to suit all kinds of music.
    Chris

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

1000 hours!!! At an avergae of 2hours normalplay a day thwat'd be...erm...1, 2, 3...500 days! Incredible... I have had heard that actually, but didn't realise it was that long though, cripes!

Real Name
     Chris
    Digital Source 1
     Audiolab 8200CDQ
    Integrated Amp
     iFi Audio iCAN
    Speakers
     Beyerdynamic T1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

The idea is to just leave them playing all day while you're at work

Anyway they will be sounding pretty good after a couple of hundred hours. Most speakers take far longer to achieve their full performance than the manufacturers would have you believe and will go on improving for months. They all sound a bit awful from brand new - shut in, lacking in bass, slow, cold, tinny sometimes. Some come on song quicker than others.

From what happy owners say about the Triangles, it would be a shame to skip them just because they take a while to get there.
    Chris

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Ha ha, I realise that, I was just putting it in terms of normal listening. Anyway, even if you left them on 24 hours a day thats nearly 42 days! That's go to be pretty exceptionalhasn't it? Comeon guys, prove me wrong!

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Shakey wrote:
    Ha ha, I realise that, I was just putting it in terms of normal listening. Anyway, even if you left them on 24 hours a day thats nearly 42 days! That's go to be pretty exceptionalhasn't it? Comeon guys, prove me wrong!
    The only brand-new pair of speakers I've ever owned are a pair of Castle Richmond 3s ()- took 3 months to sound their best, including several weeks of non-stop use...

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Wow, perhaps I under estimated this whole running in time for speakers then.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Shakey wrote:
    In my old Great Loudspeaker Hunt thread in Reviews, I noted that after about 9-10 months usage my baby ProAcs suddenly took a leap upwards in sound quality, which would fit with what TB says. And I'd thought they were pretty damn good straight from the box!

Boxer

PS Haven't heard any of the Studios, so can't comment. Tablettes are good, `tho.

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yes, what TB was saying about it being a shame to skip speakers due to lack of run in concerns me a little. The dealer doesn't stock Triangle per se but reckoned they could borrow a pair from the distributor for demo. This could either be great in that they are a long standing, well demoed and run in pair. Or they could be a brand new pair...hmmm I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I really hope the former is the case as I am particularly keen to hear the Triangles.

Thanks for some great comments so far guys!

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I was distinctly underwhelmed by the 140s big brothers, the D80s..

Far too laid back for my tastes, with a one-note bottom end(I like neutrality, with realistic as opposed to banging bass), , though this could have been a very poor set-up by the dealer. In which case how do they expect to sell £8k worth of speaker if they can't be bothered to set it up properly?

Real Name
     Ed
    Turn Table
     Project X-Pack
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Classic
    Speakers
     Spendor S8e
    Pre Amp
     Aura CA200
    Power Amp
     MF A3cr
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Shakey,

You could try contacting UKD to see if they would be willing to let you home demo a pair of ex review models or if they could send them to your dealer.

Older Triangles like my Zephyr could have a bit of a raw treble when new and took quite awhile to settle down, but the newer ones seem smoother, yet without losing any of the impact and immediacy.

I will be quite interested to hear what you think of the Proac sound versus Triangle since I have been considering buying a Proac to partner the Sugden amp.

Ed

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi,

Yes I think that would be good idea, especially as the run in will be such a crucial factor. I'll contact them nearer the time and if I forget then remind me let you know how I get on!

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Project Xperience
    T/Arm & Cart
     As above
    SUT/Phono
     Icon Audio PS1
    Digital Source 1
     Nas, Flac, SBT
    DAC
     CA Dacmagic
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet 1 3
    Speakers
     ProAc Studio 140
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I have a pair of ProAc 140's

I have them running from a Project xperience TT, Minimax cdp and Iconaudio stereo 40i. My cable is prototype solid silver in cotton.

Prior to this I'd been using a Marantz sr5200 reciever/processor with Monitor Audio r252's (years old) and some Monitor Audio Bronze floorstanders.

I've had the new kit now about 4-5months and I would say it's pretty much run in.

Initially I was tempted by the Triangle Altea's and then I found a pair of Celius at a great price and was tempted by them. Neil at Kronos kindly loaned me a pair of Antal's just to see what I made of them size wise as well as sonically in my system. They nearly blew the walls out of my room!!!! Lovely but just too big and bassy for my 18' x 12' listening room. If the Antal's were too big then the Celius were out of th question and I just didn't like the finish on the Altea so that ruled Triangle out.

I then got a great deal on some Monitor Audio Gold Floorstanders though I wouldn't be able to audition them.

A friend suggested Spendors or ProAc's and I gave the 140's an audition. Result........no brainer I'm afraid. These suited me down to the ground. They are for me a quantum leap in hi fi. Coupled with the rest of the kit they are amazing. They do take a while to run in and at first I thought just a little bass heavy. I moved them a little further out from the wall and put them on some slate tiles. For me the speakers disappear leaving just a wide soundstage and imagery. Bass is tight and controlled with mid and treble never getting too shrill. I could wax lyrical in glorious hifi twaddle speak but it's easier to say I love them

I tend to doubt myself a little when trying to justify these new toys so I invited a fussy hi fi matey around for a listen. To sum up his reaction.......'***k me thats stunning' while listening to his Steely Dan cd. This then prompted him to re assess his gear and head for the upgrade path (If he dumps his Totem Arro's I'll have a fit though).

I would suggest that you definitely try to demo at home and if at all possible demo with a well run in pair.
    Music up for grabs at My Discogs Open to offers from wammers on everything! (Except for Johnniebaby cos the artist wouldn't benefit )

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

They certianly look the business in your living room!It also sounds like your room is a similar size to mine which is interesting. I have been thinking about the size of my living room and wondering if some of my window shopping speaker selections may be a tad on the large side. Definitely going for home dem!

Thanks for that reply, particularly useful!

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Silly questions for you zygote-
    does it make much difference if you have the tweeters in or out?
    How far away from the rear wall are the speakers?

nosey bleeder I know, but these things may matter!

Music is an outburst of the soul

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Shakey wrote:
    They certianly look the business in your living room!It also sounds like your room is a similar size to mine which is interesting. I have been thinking about the size of my living room and wondering if some of my window shopping speaker selections may be a tad on the large side. Definitely going for home dem!

Thanks for that reply, particularly useful!
    You really need to home dem, some rooms can eat bass, other's, mine among them seem to amplify it. Plasterboard dot and dab finished walls seem to need more bass than plaster onto brick work- I tried quiet a few speakers before I settled on the current Rega 3's, as some just turned my room into a boom box. everything I played turned into a boom boom thud soundtrack.
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

dudywoxer wrote:
    Silly questions for you zygote-
    does it make much difference if you have the tweeters in or out?

ProAc say to put tweeters in.

I've been too scared to do anything else, for fear I'll cause the end of the world, the overthrow of the monarchy (hmmm, now there's a thought), pestilence, plagues, hurricanes....oh, you get the picture...Mr Tyler says so, so I've done it & I'm an audio-wuss.

Boxer

Real Name
     Gavin
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 200(203DAC)
    Integrated Amp
     Unico Line
    Speakers
     Triangle Celius 202
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Well funnily enough, have just finished redecorating my living room and we had the walls skimmed, so there's a new layer of plaster throughout. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

These speakers will be a massive upgrade for me and I wasn't even particularly aware of home dem when I bought my previous speakers. So what's the deal? Do you borrow a pair, see if you like 'em, if you don't take them back and borrow a different pair? Or do you borrow a couple of pairs for back to back comparison? Sorry if this seems adaft question, but I want to do this right!