Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Wammer

Post imported post

After a bit of messing around with some basic room treatment, I had some small success in taming the top end but not a great deal and not much down in the bass region.

Now, seeing as the 3 panels I made nearly ended in divorce, nay Armageddon (I know thats not spelt right), I sort of take it that 2ft of insulation padded around the room and hanging off the ceiling aint gonna happen.

But, like I said, I had a bit of success and can't bear the thought of missing out.

So - hows about the Beringer Ultracurve thing? Seems too good to be true...

I know it's not 'hi-fi' and all that, but I seem to remember some on here trying it out - so is it worth a go?
    Can\'t think of anything suitably humourous or interesting. I\'ll have a think and then copy someone elses.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I tried one for a while. If was pretty neutral when switched to flat response, but every other setting I tried was worse.

I had a few goes at the room equalization, but even with a lot of help and on-line crib sheets I couldn't get sensible results. I flogged it.

On the positive side, you did spell Armageddon correctly.

Super Wammer

Post imported post

meninblack wrote:
    I tried one for a while.* If was pretty neutral when switched to flat response, but every other setting I tried was worse.

I had a few goes at the room equalization, but even with a lot of help and on-line crib sheets I couldn't get sensible results.* * I flogged it.

On the positive side, you did spell Armageddon correctly.
    Christ - thats great news! I thought the 'dd' ought to be wrong but it just felt right.

On to the Ultracuuurve... yeah, I wondered if that might be what happens to me! I'd be interested to hear if anyone has kept one in their system. Have you any other form of room treatment? My room is worse possible case - laminate flooring, sparsely decorated etc

Does the Ultracurve have a DAC? ie could I go from the airport express optical digital out into the ultracurve?
    Can\'t think of anything suitably humourous or interesting. I\'ll have a think and then copy someone elses.

Real Name
     Marc
    Turn Table
     tiz gone
    Digital Source 1
     Benchmark DAC-1
    Integrated Amp
     in my speakers
    Speakers
     PSI A25-M active
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

yeah , instead of buying a room EQ , you might as well buy a standard graphic EQ and fiddle with it until you're happy with the sound.

Super Wammer

Post imported post

wickfut wrote:
    yeah , instead of buying a room EQ , you might as well buy a standard graphic EQ and fiddle with it until you're happy with the sound.
    Yes, wondered about that. The auto setup thing with a microphone seemed tempting (if not unlikely to work).

Would I need a parametric one to be any use (ie adjustable Q to get narrow band adjustment, so I just kill say the 50Hz peak, not 30-90Hz!)

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yes, it has a DAC and optical input, but only balanced (XLR) analogue outputs.

I had it connected to the processor loop of my DAC. The digital in/out is either optical or AES/EBU on XLR connectors. These can be switched to S/PDIF but you need to make up special cables to run RCA connectors.

My room has no treatment as such, but lots of soft furniture, carpets, heavy curtains and bookcases. I concluded it was good enough without treatment or EQ.

Super Wammer

Post imported post

meninblack wrote:
    Yes, it has a DAC and optical input, but only balanced (XLR) analogue outputs.

I had it connected to the processor loop of my DAC. The digital in/out is either optical or AES/EBU on XLR connectors. These can be switched to S/PDIF but you need to make up special cables to run RCA connectors.

My room has no treatment as such, but lots of soft furniture, carpets, heavy curtains and bookcases. I concluded it was good enough without treatment or EQ.
    Thanks MIB, thats useful. Did you try the DAC? If it's halfway decent (better than my airport express) that might justify 150 squids to try one!

I assume I can make a diff > single ended adapter with a handful of resistors. Probably.

Real Name
     Adam
    Digital Source 1
     SB3
    DAC
     DitB
    Integrated Amp
     Sony V-FET
    Speakers
     JBL L300 Summit
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Why not try a big thick rug, and maybe an particularly thick wall carpet, err, hanging? If you have a modern apartment with plain colours and white walls, a chunky Ikea square rug hanging on a wall might be an interesting texture, and work wonders for high frequency nasties.

Sell it to SWMBO as abstract art and you're onto a winner!
    Compression drivers twerk my eardrums

Real Name
     Marc
    Turn Table
     tiz gone
    Digital Source 1
     Benchmark DAC-1
    Integrated Amp
     in my speakers
    Speakers
     PSI A25-M active
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PinHead wrote:
    wickfut wrote:
    Yes, wondered about that. The auto setup thing with a microphone seemed tempting (if not unlikely to work).

Would I need a parametric one to be any use (ie adjustable Q to get narrow band adjustment, so I just kill say the 50Hz peak, not 30-90Hz!)
    A parametric would be pretty useless in high Q for your room unless you have a mains hum you'd like to get shut of.

It'd be a waste to spend the dosh on a parametric and then use the entire EQ for one node - when there will be lots.

Wammer
    Real Name
     James
    Digital Source 2
     Voltikus
    DAC
     Antelope Zodiac Gold
    Integrated Amp
     Shengya/Vincent
    Speakers
     Tannoy 12" DC Golds
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I have a Behringer DEQ which i don't use now, as i had some new speakers which with a bit of playing around with gave better results. The DEQ is a little gem for room eq. if you set it up right. It has to be done manually to get the best results, which is fairly tricky as the manual isn't very comprehensive. Done automatically you get some weird results. The object is to get a flat response while using a white noise generator, which is in the DEQ.

Super Wammer

Post imported post

AmDismal wrote:
    Why not try a big thick rug, and maybe an particularly thick wall carpet, err, hanging? If you have a modern apartment with plain colours and white walls, a chunky Ikea square rug hanging on a wall might be an interesting texture, and work wonders for high frequency nasties.

Sell it to SWMBO as abstract art and you're onto a winner!
    Yeah - we're going to give a rug (another) try. Previously, an animal (2 cats, 2 dogs) will end up pissing on the rug, so we just gave up on that! Gonna give it another go, avoiding wool.

Real Name
     Marc
    Turn Table
     tiz gone
    Digital Source 1
     Benchmark DAC-1
    Integrated Amp
     in my speakers
    Speakers
     PSI A25-M active
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

be realistic.

Buy a used DEQ but don't actually have it in circuit.

Use it to position your speakers to the point that the DEQ hardly EQ's anything and then sell the thing on to some other clueless person.

Super Wammer

Post imported post

wickfut wrote:
    PinHead wrote:
    wickfut wrote:

A parametric would be pretty useless in high Q for your room unless you have a mains hum you'd like to get shut of.

It'd be a waste to spend the dosh on a parametric and then use the entire EQ for one node - when there will be lots.
    Ok, thanks Wickfut. There's a large audible peak at 50odd Hz, just before going awfully quiet at 60odd Hz + a few other wobbles along the way!

Super Wammer

Post imported post

wickfut wrote:
    be realistic.

Use it to position your speakers to the point that the DEQ hardly EQ's anything and then sell the thing on to some other clueless person.
    yes, thats a good way of looking at it. Finding some one just as clueless as me might be tricky though...

Super Wammer

Post imported post

Jim wrote:
    I have a Behringer DEQ which i don't use now, as i had some new speakers which with a bit of playing around with gave better results. The DEQ is a little gem for room eq. if you set it up right. It has to be done manually to get the best results, which is fairly tricky as the manual isn't very comprehensive. Done automatically you get some weird results. The object is to get a flat response while using a white noise generator, which is in the DEQ.
    Thats interesting, Jim. Interesting the head count of people that keep one in the system = 0 at this time though!

Are you looking to sell your DEQ for a ridiculously small amount of money, by any chance?

Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

wickfut wrote:
    be realistic.

yeah, I b ought one...spend ages finding out what cables I needed ( no one knew!*), then ages trying to set it up...one I knew what I was doing (well, possibly!) I then spent ages tweaking it... I gave up in the end and sold it on...

* this included getting info from a guy who modifies them for a living...
    this sig is intentionally blank...

Super Wammer

Post imported post

Mr Cat wrote:
    wickfut wrote:
    be realistic.

yeah, I b ought one...spend ages finding out what cables I needed ( no one knew!*), then ages trying to set it up...one I knew what I was doing (well, possibly!) I then spent ages tweaking it... I gave up in the end and sold it on...

Thanks Mr Cat - this is painting the picture I imagined! Still be interested to try one 2nd hand if I could punt it on for not too much of a loss.

Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

PinHead wrote:
    Mr Cat wrote:
    wickfut wrote:
    be realistic.

Thanks Mr Cat - this is painting the picture I imagined! Still be interested to try one 2nd hand if I could punt it on for not too much of a loss.
    yeah, worth a go...make sure you get the mic and a couple of sets of correct cables and if you do sell it on - I doubt you'd lose any money either...

iirc - there was a huge thread on pfm on how to set it up...that was a couple of years ago tho...
    this sig is intentionally blank...

Super Wammer russ abbott - royds brother's Avatar
    Real Name
     stu
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     Dv505 Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     A.innovation/project
    Digital Source 1
     SB3
    Integrated Amp
     Puresound 2A3
    Speakers
     Coral 15/70 grf cabs
    Pre Amp
     Coral M100 Le cleach
    Power Amp
     Coral H104 Tweeter's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Try the old mirror trick and then hang something textured up and see if that works

Wammer
    Real Name
     Daz
    Turn Table
     N/A
    Digital Source 1
     Wadia 381i
    Speakers
     WilsonBenesch Vector
    Pre Amp
     Use my Wadia
    Power Amp
     Audio Analogue SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

GoodmorningPinhead - Do you know already what are the actual bass peaks at your listening position? If not before anything else I'd get these measured with a cheopo radio shack spl and a freebie bass tone cd (download from realtraps website etc). Once you have this info you can correctly attack improving the bass response which I guarentee will give you the most significant improvement in sound (more than treating the mids & highs).

Room acoustics can be pretty complicated especially when both/either speaker and listening position can not be located in their optimal room position. Both my speaker and listening position (especially listening pos) cant be located in my rooms optimal pos, for numerous reasons (mainly as doubles as familly living room)..

Over the years Ive done a lot of reading and tried quite a few different things (panels / bass traps / deq etc...)

After many trials and errorsIve personally found the best improvement in overall sound quality is to sort out the nasty bass peaks. No matter how you try and treat mids & highs with panels, if the lows are not sorted first they will still muddy everything else. Tried a few corner bass trap products but non touched my worst 50Hz peak at listening position so scrapped the lot and tried some eq....

I finally opted for a combination of P-eq (for lowend only), plus foam panels for mids and highs (located at first reflection points and behind listening position). The P-eq I own is set to treat onlya couple of low frequency peaks per channel.....but for me the difference / improvement by doing this correctly is MASSIVE. I could easilly live without the foam panels but could not live without the low-end eq.

All this is very speaker and room specific, but thats what I found.

I havnt had any experience of the beringer. but to keep things simple I'd do the measures by hand at listening pos, using a spl and test cd (making sure its either 'corrected' for the radioshack's low end results or the spl results are corrected afterwards.......theres info on this on the realtraps site). I would use the beringer to treat frequencies BELOW approx 300Hz only. Plus only treat a max of 3 low end peaks per channel (basically these would correspond to your rooms dimensions/mods). Your panels and room furniture will take care of things above this. You may well find that you only have just one peak down at the low end, but this may be +10db to + 20db at listening pos. As above I guarentee that if you eq this correctly (even ifyou only have 1 peak) this will give you an improvement over every frequency.

Good luck.