Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY turntable

Post imported post

Thought you might be interested in my deck.It weighs 200 kilos and the chasis is made from lead,crushed granite and slate mixed into epoxy resin. The platter is steel and PVC laminated and bolted together.this weighs 38 kilos.The bearing is 40mm diameter and of inverted design.The motor is a 24v dc skewed armature design housed in a massive casing,this drives a 10 kilo flywheel at 600rpm which then drives the platter.The arm tube is made from a single piece of aluminium housed in a giant bearing housing.

Mike

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi Mike,

This looks very serious and, I imagine, is quite reluctant to slow down! What did you do for materials where the weight of the platter acts down on the top of the shaft? I understand you have to have one hard material acting against a softer one or they'll chew each other up. I was looking at a big Kuzma TT recently where part of the bearing was a ruby.

Normally you'd expect 38 KG rotating to be enough. What does the flywheel add soundwise?

rgs

Murray

Post imported post

Hello Murray.

The point contact of the bearing was in fact my biggest headache with the design and 38kilos pressure was too much for many materials.I ended up using a tungsten carbide ball resting on a bronze pad.This may sound a strange combination,but it does in fact work very well.The fly wheel made a tremendous difference to the sound and was well worth the effort to make it.Sound wise,the deck has amazing detail retrieval,and the recording environment can easily be heard.The sound has power and authority, lacking in congestion. All the instruments are separated out,which gives a great sense of scale.The deck evolved over 42 months and the picture you see is the end result of making many,many parts and listening to them all.Nothing was taken for granted and if a part did not sound right I did not use it.

Regards. Mike

purplepleaser

Post imported post

Hi Mike

Welcome to the Wigwam.

Lee

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I'm sure it sounds very impressive and would very much like to hear it one day. It reminds me of this Greek TT based on a high mass design called the AAS Gabriel which uses contra acting magnets to lift the heavy platter. I'm not sure about that idea (better for wear etc perhaps, Verdier also do it) but I do like the high speed flywheel principle. As long as you don't lean on it by accident!

http://aca.gr/paper37.htm

actually, looking at the weights & speeds involved yours makes his seem a bit weedy!

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Holy Guacamole that is one serious piece of engineering, Mike.

Are you planning on marketing it?

And in a world of low-mass tonearms, yours certainly steps forward from the crowd - what are the pros and cons of such a design?

churz, eofs

Post imported post

Thanks for your comment.

I have spent many years designing tonearms.I originally designed the Zeta and Mission Mechanic during the mid 80's.This arm is the result of many hours of design and listening tests,and the mass does make a massive difference to the sound.The deck is not intended for marketing,just a one off made for myself.It would be very expensive to manufacture and could only be made in limited quantities.

Regards Mike

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

darkenergy777 wrote:
    Thanks for your comment.

I have spent many years designing tonearms.I originally designed the Zeta and Mission Mechanic during the mid 80's.This arm is the result of many hours of design and listening tests,and the mass does make a massive difference to the sound.The deck is not intended for marketing,just a one off made for myself.It would be very expensive to manufacture and could only be made in limited quantities.

Regards Mike
    Thanks,it's a damned impressive looking piece of kit, and I've no doubt its sonic ability is commensurate

churz, eofs

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I remember the Zeta well. In the days before the SMEV the Zeta or perhaps the Helius Orion were the arms to have. What happened to GB Tools? Did you just retire?

Wammer
    Real Name
     Antony
    Turn Table
     Nottingham Analogue
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/Audionote
    SUT/Phono
     Audionote
    Digital Source 1
     Teac
    Integrated Amp
     Mastersound
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

One of the hifi mags atated that the Mechanic was the best tonearm they'd ever heard

Post imported post

I am not sure what happened to G&B,but they made them for a long time after I left.

Mike

Wammer

Post imported post

I saw this turntable in this thread here :- http://www.pixalo.com/community/gene...hifi-8348.html which in turn had refs to this site

Must say not only is Mike an excellent engineer, but also takes a mean Mono photograph ....I'm not jealous...I'm not jealous ;)
    Cheers Dave

Post imported post

darkenergy777 wrote:
    Thought you might be interested in my deck.It weighs 200 kilos and the chasis is made from lead,crushed granite and slate mixed into epoxy resin. The platter is steel and PVC laminated and bolted together.this weighs 38 kilos.The bearing is 40mm diameter and of inverted design.The motor is a 24v dc skewed armature design housed in a massive casing,this drives a 10 kilo flywheel at 600rpm which then drives the platter.The arm tube is made from a single piece of aluminium housed in a giant bearing housing.

Mike

amazing :shocked:

Wammer

Post imported post

Hi Mike, superb work.

I believe in mass in t/t`s, just wish i a lathe big enough to spin 12", been wanting to make a s/steel platter for a while now.
    thru.

In the trade Wammer audioorigami's Avatar
    Real Name
     j7
    Turn Table
     pu7 arm
    Digital Source 1
     none
    Integrated Amp
     valve and stuff
    Speakers
     yams and emotions
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

hi darkenergy

looks fantastic well done

wish we could have somebigger pics

arm looks very nice was that cast?

the stylis looks as thou its under the vertical bearing axis quite a lot?...is this the case...does this add any problems?

best wishes of the new year

j7

Real Name
     Graham
    Turn Table
     Basis signature 2200
    T/Arm & Cart
     Vector 4, Koetsu Red
    SUT/Phono
     Koetsu SUT,ARC PH5
    Digital Source 1
     ARC CD3 mk2
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Amphion Zenon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

That must have taken quite a few hours to make,very impressive engineering and no I don't want one,honest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price Discovery Bitch i_should_coco's Avatar
    Real Name
     Coco-san
    Turn Table
     Voyd Reference
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm-3/Io Ltd.
    SUT/Phono
     AN S9/DIY LCR
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop/JRiver
    DAC
     Nadja
    Integrated Amp
     Disintegrated maybe
    Speakers
     Landfill Olympians
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Mainly borrowed
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

That is just awesome - fabulous engineering.

CD players - computer audio for dummies.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

awesome work

Wammer

Post imported post

darkenergy777 wrote:
    this drives a 10 kilo flywheel at 600rpm which then drives the platter.
    Mike
    Hi, would you mind telling me what your flywheel is constructed from to give it a 10k weight ? and what kind of bearing it spins on ?

thru.

Registered

Post imported post

BLOODY STUPENDOUS WORK !!!

It looks the muts nuts ,Mike,.. but I'd love to hear it in action !

Did you do the machine work on all of it ?

I thought I was doing well with a turntable that is still in progress,( well sort-of anyway ),..It weighs four stones and is about 65 % finished and is constructed
    mainly from scrap metal ( Pics below ),.. But I can't compete with 200Kgs !!!