YL Acoustic active
    Pre Amp
     Nadja DSP
    Power Amp
     Lots
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

While my car was in the body-shop being fixed, the insurance company saw fit to give me the dubious pleasure of using one of these for a week.

Now I know that it's a stereotype that Vauxhall make dull boring repmobiles that no-one in his right mind would spend his own money on, but at least the Insignia looks reasonably interesting from a styling point of view, at least compared to the hideous Vectra models which preceded it.

Sadly, that's about as good as it gets. Let's start with the interior. It's big. Big and full of hideously cheap plastic and ugly mis-matched displays with varying shades of orange, while the main instruments are light blue with red needles. Yuk. You would have thought that they could afford to pay a decent industrial designer to at least colour co-ordinate some stuff.

Some odd stuff too like part manual/part electric seats. WTF? It just makes it seem like the cheaped out from making them all electric in a bout of penny-pinching. This alone would drive me batshit.

Next the engine, or whatever passes for one. Not sure what the 'S' stands for in 'SRi', but it sure ain't 'sport', except perhaps as a bad joke. This particular example didn't appear to actually have an engine, some joker having substituted a vacuum cleaner motor in it's place. Perhaps it's a hire-car-special, dunno. It's pretty smooth, but offers almost imperceptible acceleration, however hard you push the throttle, wherever in the rev-range it is. I guess this is positive in the sense that a taxi driver will never be able to spill any of his passengers' coffee, however ham-footed he is. The 6-speed gearbox is kind of pointless - it's not like it had a power band to keep within, being equally gutless everywhere in the range.

Despite the minuscule engine, economy was not a strong-point, in fact being piss-poor, not to put to fine a point on it. While my (petrol) A3 returns close to 40mpg when cruising on motorways, the same journey in this bus returned low-30s. I guess this is attributable to the thing being made from pig-iron or something. I have no idea how much it weigts, but my scientific guess is "a fuck of a lot".

Handling - To be honest, I can't say I noticed any, it feels like a big marshmallow. It seemed to have a decent amount of grip, 225 tyres and all, but I didn't actually push it because the steering felt so dead, so I didn't fancy finding out where the limits were. On the other hand, ride was comfy I suppose. I guess weighing "a fuck of a lot" helps here.

Now I don't want to come across a a car snob, but I'd take my 12 year old Audi A3 over this uninspiring muck any day. If this is the kind of car they still make, I'm not surprised they get constantly slated. It's not that it's actively bad, just dull in the extreme with obvious signs that *everything* was made by the lowest bidder (including presumably the brakes).

Must try (much) harder.

CD players - computer audio for dummies.

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

i_should_coco wrote:

ugly mis-matched displays with varying shades of orange, whilen the main instuments are light blue with red needles. Yuk. You would have thought that they could afford to pay a decent industrial designer to alt leats colour co-ordinate some stuff.

It musy be vogue in design schools. The current VWs have blue-lit dials, red-lit needles and yellow lights on all the buttons.
    I, I follow, I follow you, deep sea baby...

Real Name
     George
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I agree with everything you say having test drove one very receintly.I thought it looked really nice then got inside to be bathed in cheap tik tak box plastic.engine smooth but gutless ,all revs and no balls.And it gave me driver fatigue just test driving it.
    Free yourself from bondage..And buy a cheap one.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Andy
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Integrated Amp
     XTZ Desire AP-100
    Speakers
     PMC DB1S+
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I had the misfortune of being given one of these to go to England. As if going to England wasn't badn enough, I had to keep changing from 6th to 4th on the motorway every time I needed to do an overtake or traverse a tiny incline.

I had to get out and check the SRi badge had not fallen off - but no it was still there. An SRi that could parely pull its massive weight at all and yes as said above one of the most gutless torqueless engines I have had the misfortune of ever having to inject petrol into.

*sigh*

It looked OK tho - this one was in white with the big 18s and actually looked fairly smart. Thats about all that's good about it tho.

Vauxhalls... still shite then.

Butuz
    n00b System:
    Quad 99 CDP2 >> Pass B1 Pre >> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC DB1S+

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

I haven't bothered to check the Insignia range, but the Astra SRi (basically an Insignia with the boot amputated) features a choice from two engines:

1.4 turbo and 1.6 turbo

Coupled with their vast size and high weight this might explain a slight lack of urgency...

Digital Source 1
     Esoteric DV60
    Digital Source 2
     Stella 100
    DAC
     Stella 100 signature
    Integrated Amp
     ATC SIA2-150
    Speakers
     Geddes Nathan 10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Vauxhall Insignia kerb weight 1810kg
    Skoda Superb kerb weight 1498kg
    TAG / ATC SCM50A / M&K / Esoteric DV60 AV system; Stello DA100 transport and Sig DAC, ATC SIA2-150, Geddes Nathan 10 two-channel.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earlofsodbury wrote:
    I haven't bothered to check the Insignia range, but the Astra SRi (basically an Insignia with the boot amputated) features a choice from two engines:

1.4 turbo and 1.6 turbo

Coupled with their vast size and high weight this might explain a slight lack of urgency...
    Depends how much

they run, engine capacity is pretty much irrelevant with blown motors.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

SRi used to mean "performance Vauxhall." Now it's a trim level.

There is a fad for Tiny Tot Turbo motors at the moment, in both petrol and diesel. They look good on paper, with great power and acceleration coupled to impressive economy, and can slot into various road tax, emissions and company car tax loopholes.

Trouble is they are shit. Sure, the saloon bar heroes can boast about impressive bhp and 0-60 times - but you have to be driving like the Stig to achieve them. Off-boost they are sluggish and unresponsive - and the smaller the engine the narrower the boosted powerband. This kind of engine works in a lightweight car, but in a huge barge it's a recipe for sloth. In terms of economy, they impress at constant throttle openings with little or no boost - but give them stick and they develop a thirst very quickly.

As the man said, there ain't no substitute for cubes. Avoid.
    "I'm a Twat" - Cloth-Ears, 02/02/2014

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Engine size has nothing to do with the power band in a blown motor, turbo exhaust housing size pretty much dictates initial boost threshold, in-gear lag is a rare occasion these days, not so back in the day though.

It's the manufacturers fault if they can't be arsed to do it properly and just bodge a blower onto any old hack of an engine. I think one of the best small engines around is the twin-charged VW motor, although the Golf is verging on too big for that engine.

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Matt J wrote:
    Engine size has nothing to do with the power band in a blown motor, turbo exhaust housing size pretty much dictates initial boost threshold, in-gear lag is a rare occasion these days, not so back in the day though.

It's the manufacturers fault if they can't be arsed to do it properly and just bodge a blower onto any old hack of an engine. I think one of the best small engines around is the twin-charged VW motor, although the Golf is verging on too big for that engine.
    Surely torque is going to tend to be in a relatively narrow band up at the screamy end of the rev range? In a big, heavy car that's gonna be a thoroughly joyless exercise.

Correspondingly the 1.4T in summat the size/weight of an old skule Nova would prolly be a bucket of lulz...

I can see modern engines are getting fairly clever, so my only issue is, as MiBby's pointed out - why badge these with a "sporty" badge if they're quite simply - not?

I don't actually think the engines are the problem, so much as the size/strap-on-toys and thus weight of modern cars. All manufacturers seem to be chasing the rep market, and that lot are like a load of fucking budgerigars who need their cage stuffed full of toys to stop them going epi with boredom and make them think their microdicks could one day touch the sides of summat cos they's a playa in their fake luxobarge wannabe...

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Fifth Gear tested the Insignia VXR and said it went like stink. 4WD 2.8 turbo IIRC. Still, I bet its a thirsty bastard when you thrash it.

Anyway, the Insignia is a large car and should have decent power as standard. Still ugly as fook if you ask me though.

The new Astra VXR will have a smaller engine than the MK5, down to a 1.8T from a 2.0T. Emissions apparently, although power is said to be up. It should be though, the new Astra is even bigger than the last.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earlofsodbury wrote:
    Matt J wrote:

Surely torque is going to tend to be in a relatively narrow band up at the screamy end of the rev range? In a big, heavy car that's gonna be a thoroughly joyless exercise.
    If anything it will be the other way around, the modern trend is to bolt on turbos that are on the small side, which gives good initial boost threshold and mid range torque (ie- where most people like it) with the trade off of running out of steam further up the rev range. Big boost from a big turbo is an experience to behold, it's nothing that can be replicated by any sized N/A engine IMHO.

most modern cars haven't got adequate cylinder heads to cope with a big turbo and big boost at high revs, plus your average punter doesn't like the trade offs of such a setup. Like most things, it's about compromises and which you prefer.

The VW twin charged (supercharged and turbocharged) motor pretty much does most things well, but as you say, I'd prefer it in a lighter car!

Real Name
     Rob
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300/2M Blue
    Digital Source 1
     Sony DVP-S9000ES
    Integrated Amp
     Rega Brio-R
    Speakers
     ATC SCM10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Ive been in my mums 2000Astra SRi 2.2 with near enough 150Bhp, and although it pulls well, it is not that much quicker to 60 than my old sprint, and certainly does not feel fast doing it. 0-60 in the sprint feels fast, where as doing it in the SRi you dont notice the speed at all.

Old cars are better lighter, cooler and look better

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

HoopsOnToast wrote:
    Ive been in my mums 2000Astra SRi 2.2 with near enough 150Bhp, and although it pulls well, it is not that much quicker to 60 than my old sprint, and certainly does not feel fast doing it. 0-60 in the sprint feels fast, where as doing it in the SRi you dont notice the speed at all.

I should think the sheer racket of the glovebox flying open and door trim flapping in the breeze made the Dolly seem fast

Mind, I don't rate the Vauxhall 2.2, the 2.0T is altogether more fun and less thirsty.

----

Matt - points taken, I am in all things pretty out of date :green:

Real Name
     Rob
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300/2M Blue
    Digital Source 1
     Sony DVP-S9000ES
    Integrated Amp
     Rega Brio-R
    Speakers
     ATC SCM10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

earlofsodbury wrote:
    HoopsOnToast wrote:

I should think the sheer racket of the glovebox flying open and door trim flapping in the breeze made the Dolly seem fast

Mind, I don't rate the Vauxhall 2.2, the 2.0T is altogether more fun and less thirsty.

----

Matt - points taken, I am in all things pretty out of date :green:
    The glovebox flying open was the least of my worries the loud exhaust setting of car alarms and tail happy handling keeps you excited And the dolly had 130Bhp new in a 1000kg car, more than enough

Real Name
     Craig
    Turn Table
     Ion USB :)
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch & Theta dac
    Integrated Amp
     Lyngdorf SDAi 2175
    Speakers
     Quad 22L2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Can I just ask, or tell you something too......back when I was big into dragsters, "blowers" meant a super charger, not a turbo charger as referred to here.

Has that changed?

Edit to add = cancel the question, just Googled it. A blower is a super charger, not a turbo charger, so referring to an engine with a turbo should not be referred to as having a blower.

Being blown is a totally different thing!

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Blown is just general slang for forced induction, IE blowing/compressing the intake charge air. You are correct that it used to just apply to supercharged configurations, but it doesn't really matter these days.

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Strictly speaking a turbo is just one more form of supercharger, once known as turbosupercharger, and only really shortened when Saab turned it into a marketing tool back in the late 70s.

Real Name
     Rob
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300/2M Blue
    Digital Source 1
     Sony DVP-S9000ES
    Integrated Amp
     Rega Brio-R
    Speakers
     ATC SCM10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

and saab's slant engine was co-developed with triumph which was used in the dolomites, triumph added a 16V head, saab put a turbo on it :minikiev:

Real Name
     Rick
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop
    DAC
     Naim Ndac & XPS2
    Integrated Amp
     Accuphase E308
    Speakers
     Peak Consult Princes
    Pre Amp
     Music First Silver
    Power Amp
     Art Audio Diavolo
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I wouldn't say Vauxhalls are basic, but I've always felt they deemed the steering wheel an optional extra.
    Karma means I can rest easy at night knowing all the people I treated badly had it coming.