Rotel RCD-965BX
    Integrated Amp
     Sansui AU-G30x
    Speakers
     Audiomaster MLS4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Heco 120 S Bookshelf Speakers 4 ohm?

I'm Trying to put together a cheap system for a spare room.

I've been offered a pair of Heco 120 S Bookshelf speakers (around 10 yrs old) but can find very little about this model on the net, though I understand Heco make some reasonable kit.. Anyone come across this model and know if they are any good? I'm a bit worried because they are described as 4 ohms but I'd like to drive em with an old Technics SU-V2 amp like this one http://www.vintagetechnics.info/integrated/suv2.htm that I have gathering dust in the loft, but not sure if this would end up cooking the amp? Also not sure if the price is fair he's asking 45 for the speakers but would probably budge a little.

Rich

Too much time on my hands SergeAuckland's Avatar
    Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    Headphones
     AKG K270 KOSS Pro4AA
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I bought a pair of Heco 4000s in 1971 and they're still going strong, now being used by my daughter. I also have a pair of little Hecos (forgotten which number) in my workshop. Fine little 'speakers for the size.

As to the amplifier, if it's for a spare room, and you're not going to be having too many parties in there, I should think it will be OK. Amps of that vintage are somewhat current limited compared with today's amps, so it will run out of current into 4 ohms if played very loud. At normal volumes, I can't see it being a problem.

S.

Real Name
     Rich
    Turn Table
     Long Gone
    Digital Source 1
     Rotel RCD-965BX
    Integrated Amp
     Sansui AU-G30x
    Speakers
     Audiomaster MLS4
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks for the reply, I took the plunge and went and picked up the Heco's tonight. Though probably +20yrs old they are in mint condition and came with all original packaging including manual and guarantee card. The manual says they can be happily driven by Amps from 2-8ohms if only one pair are connected so I should be OK.

After a quck 2 CD's worth of listening intital impressions are good with quite a large sound for a bookshelf sized speaker, though I'm not sure the old Technics is cabable of getting the best from them. When I get chance I'll hook em up with the Sansui amp on my main system which is a bit more detailed to see if there's a difference. I think they may also benefit from some stands rather than being sat on the floor.

Rich