Rondong-1
    Integrated Amp
     Taepodong-1
    Speakers
     Musudan-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Silver Anniversary

At best i'm a bit of a cable sceptic BUT the above does really sound horrible when its been connected to all my kit over the last 3 years. Over bright and harsh and never lasts more than a few hours. So what's going on? I know i'm not imagining it because i'd never read about the cable before i came to my conclusions -i bought it blind for a few euros.

What is it about the construction that makes this cable sound so crap, or am i indeed imagining it (I genuinely don't think I am by the way!)

This is not an invite to wage a war but a genuine question about the one cable that really does make a difference....that i've heard, Imo, etc etc

Good news i sold it on a while ago to a french guy who thought it was great -I even put in the description that i thought it sounded harsh with my kit.

Effem
    I had 3 inches of the damn stuff as jumper links and that was bad enough. No idea WHY it sounds shite, but it does

Real Name
     Jake
    Turn Table
     WB Full Circle
    T/Arm & Cart
     ACT/Glider SL
    SUT/Phono
     Tube Tech MAC
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos
    DAC
     Jolida
    Speakers
     LV IBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     First Watt DIY
    Power Amp
     300b SET
    Headphones
     For the gym
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    AND it continues to get superb reviews. Odd.

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I don't know why it should sound as bad as it does, it's just wire, but it does, in every application I've tried - and it was my first ever foo purchase Horrible stuff

Real Name
     Nick
    Turn Table
     Oracle Delphi MkIII
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V, AN IO1
    SUT/Phono
     Aesthetix Rhea
    Digital Source 1
     Accustic Arts Drive1
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop/Jriver
    DAC
     Accustic Arts Tube
    Speakers
     Gershman Avant Garde
    Pre Amp
     Modwright LS100
    Power Amp
     Modwright KWA 100SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I thought Silver Ani was for WHF readers only

Real Name
     robin
    Turn Table
     voyd valdi
    T/Arm & Cart
     a/n arm 3 a/n iq3
    SUT/Phono
     SJS
    Digital Source 1
     meridian 500
    Digital Source 2
     moon equinox
    DAC
     chord 64mk2
    Integrated Amp
     cary cad 300bsei
    Speakers
     audio note e
    Pre Amp
     VDH-array a1
    Power Amp
     radford sta 15
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    i bought s/a cable many years ago as recommended by what hi-hi mag, i got some cyrus speaker cable cheap of e-bay, and bloody hell the cheapest upgrade ive ever had total night and day, i threw the siver ann in the bin, i strongly suggest you do the same its
    django pre leak st 20 tannoy 15" MG s

Real Name
     mick
    Digital Source 1
     tivo
    Digital Source 2
     spotify
    DAC
     theta / beresford
    Integrated Amp
     peachtree nova 125
    Speakers
     talon khites 2002
    Pre Amp
     counterpoint
    Power Amp
     Albarry / ps audio
    Headphones
     akg 702 - b + W p 5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    its shit cause it aint silver it looks silver but it aint !

Real Name
     TOMMY
    Turn Table
     DM LOGIC 101 MK1
    T/Arm & Cart
     syrinx shure v15
    Digital Source 1
     pioneer PD 91
    DAC
     MERIDIAN 563
    Speakers
     KOSS CM1030
    Pre Amp
     SANSUI AU555A
    Power Amp
     MAGNUM MF 250
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    i do keep trying cables etc andI/C,s but as always end up putting back my very old very unwieldly very not wife friendly audioquest blue ,
    but this shit didn't last 10 minutes , the wife and dogs thought it was shit to black sabbath screatching and the dogs left the room closely followed by the wife
    back to the spirit of the wam if any one takes them that is, if not the bin junkies can have them.
    sansui AU555A , magnum MF250 , pioneer PD 91 , meridian 563 ,logic dm 101 mk1/ AR the turntable , koss CM1030 ,marantz 2020 tuner and some cables

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Project RPM4
    Digital Source 1
     C Audio 640Cv2
    Integrated Amp
     Sugden A21
    Speakers
     Tannoy Autograph Min
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    also owned them before. hated them. IMO, the only purpose them cables serve in the big scheme of all things hifi is to 'brighten' up the most budget of systems.

Real Name
     Dimitri
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD63 MKII K1
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer SA-9800
    Speakers
     B&W DM2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    if the silver is too bright on your system, try some copper cable .... Van Damme is pretty good and very cheap (£1.99/m) ... there were some excellent reviews on WHFI from owners recently (the past week)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I bought some of their thicker cable a few months back (6mm diameter) .... bought it as a spare and have not tested yet

I use the old Hitachi cable and am well pleased, but it's hard to find

Real Name
     Kim Jong un
    Turn Table
     Tabun
    Digital Source 1
     Rondong-1
    Integrated Amp
     Taepodong-1
    Speakers
     Musudan-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by dim_span View Post
    if the silver is too bright on your system, try some copper cable .... Van Damme is pretty good and very cheap (£1.99/m) ... there were some excellent reviews on WHFI from owners recently (the past week)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I bought some of their thicker cable a few months back (6mm diameter) .... bought it as a spare and have not tested yet

I use the old Hitachi cable and am well pleased, but it's hard to find
    Like I said, i moved it on a good while ago. Use Vanne Damme and some flat Ortofon copper stuff, dependent on which set of speaks i'm using. Jumpers on the A1s are mains wire. I also use from time to time, just to see if I can hear any difference, some thick copper mains multistrand calbes i made up -would still be using these on all the system if they were long enough and i didn't have other bits of copper lying around.

But seriously, there must be something in the wire, or its construction, that makes it sound shit......Serge where are you?

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I'm not a fan of this cable either, not my cup of tea at all. As with many silver plated cables to me the sound lacks cohesiveness throughout the frequency range and has brittle upper registers (that are surprisngly shut in at the very top). My gut feeling is that quality of the raw materials is rather limited (understandable at the price point, but why silver plate if standard copper would sound better at this level as I'm sure it would).

As for why the press like it so much I imagine it might be useful if it 'corrects' a flaw in a poor room/system. It could also be that silver plating tends to make some high frequency detail more obvious and reviewers often like this effect as it's easy to spot in a 5 min swap over. I certainly can't imagine a reviewer would be swayed by the fact that a manufacturer has an absolutely huge advertising budget...

I should add that I have sold this cable (it was almost impossible not to when the press were raving about it) but I have always done by best to inform customers that I felt better alternatives existed.
    Audio Note, Audion, Consonance, Croft, Edwards Audio, Living Voice, Michell, Nottingham Analogue, ProAc, Pure Sound, Rega, Verdier and many more.

Real Name
     Dan
    Turn Table
     N/A
    Digital Source 1
     iTunes & AppleTV3
    Digital Source 2
     2012 Mac Mini
    DAC
     Cyrus 8DAC
    Integrated Amp
     Cyrus 8DAC
    Speakers
     KEF LS50's
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I do think its aimed for the budget market

I had it in my first few system and it wasnt that bad but it wasnt brilliant either!

Im a huge fan of Chord Oddyssey but TBH the QED Revelation speaker cable Im using currently is superb!
    Living room System: Cyrus 8DAC / KEF LS50's / music via 2012 quad-core Mac Mini, iTunes, AirPlay and Apple TV3 // Office system: Cyrus 6XP / Q Acoustic 2020i's (gloss white) / music via Mac Mini and FiioD3 DAC currently

Real Name
     Dimitri
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz CD63 MKII K1
    Integrated Amp
     Pioneer SA-9800
    Speakers
     B&W DM2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    suppose it all depends on your system .... I have an old Pioneer SA-9800 amp, a marantz cd63 MKII K1 signature cdp and an old pair of B&W DM2 MK1 transmission speakers

the amp and speakers are classed as 'warm' sounding ... the cdp is classed as being on the bright side .... I found that using the Silver High Breed Coherence interconnect (copper with a silver sheath), and old Hitachi LC-OFC (copper) speaker cables, my system sounds pretty awesome (to me)

My ears are old, but I do hear a difference is cables, only small differences, and specifically in the treble/bass .... with silver speaker cables, the s's sound like z's on my main system (a good track to test for this is Prince's Purple rain) ...

I seem to have found the sound I enjoy and the synergy (for me) is very good ....

suppose you need to experiment and try different cables etc until you find what you enjoy ... I have been lucky, and it has not cost me much

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Well (Bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     WT / Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz transport
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS
    Integrated Amp
     In the workshop
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 nutter
    Headphones
     Nah
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The only thing worse than silver anniversary was my anniversary. But then I walked out on the bitch shortly afterwards, and things only got better. Similarly, I junked the SA cable I had, and I've never gone back.

I don't know what it does technically, but in listening terms, it seems to fuck everything it's connected to. Anyone who has given it an award should have their ears cleaned out with a 20cm masonry bit on a Bosch hammer drill. Anyone who doesn't believe cables can make a difference should have a go with this utter fuck-crap-shrill-bastard stuff. If it doesn't screw your system then either your system is crap, or you're deaf.

Cables don't make a difference? Well, quite possibly they can't improve things, but they sure as hell can make things worse.

As proof, I give you...........
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Real Name
     Jaedon
    Turn Table
     Hitachi Ht-660
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT440mla
    SUT/Phono
     Cambridge Audio 640p
    Digital Source 1
     Asus Xonar Essence
    Digital Source 2
     PC HDMI out.
    Integrated Amp
     Yaqin MC-30L
    Speakers
     Peerless/Hiquphon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My 'speakers can sound a little shrill sometimes in the upper mids and treble. Could it be the Silver Anniversary cable that I bought on a certain magazines recommendation? I'm beginning to think it might be contributing after reading this thread

Real Name
     Kim Jong un
    Turn Table
     Tabun
    Digital Source 1
     Rondong-1
    Integrated Amp
     Taepodong-1
    Speakers
     Musudan-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by dim_span View Post
    suppose it all depends on your system .... I have an old Pioneer SA-9800 amp, a marantz cd63 MKII K1 signature cdp and an old pair of B&W DM2 MK1 transmission speakers

the amp and speakers are classed as 'warm' sounding ... the cdp is classed as being on the bright side .... I found that using the Silver High Breed Coherence interconnect (copper with a silver sheath), and old Hitachi LC-OFC (copper) speaker cables, my system sounds pretty awesome (to me)

My ears are old, but I do hear a difference is cables, only small differences, and specifically in the treble/bass .... with silver speaker cables, the s's sound like z's on my main system (a good track to test for this is Prince's Purple rain) ...

I seem to have found the sound I enjoy and the synergy (for me) is very good ....

suppose you need to experiment and try different cables etc until you find what you enjoy ... I have been lucky, and it has not cost me much
    Nowt wrong with other silver foo cables i've heard. It just seems to be this SA stuff that, as others have stated, turns everything into shit.

Real Name
     Kim Jong un
    Turn Table
     Tabun
    Digital Source 1
     Rondong-1
    Integrated Amp
     Taepodong-1
    Speakers
     Musudan-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by qu-be-2 View Post
    My 'speakers can sound a little shrill sometimes in the upper mids and treble. Could it be the Silver Anniversary cable that I bought on a certain magazines recommendation? I'm beginning to think it might be contributing after reading this thread
    Buy some cheap copper wire and hear the difference -you'll be amazed i reckon!!

Real Name
     Richard
    Turn Table
     Well (Bad) Tempered
    T/Arm & Cart
     WT / Dynavector XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Kairsound SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz transport
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox
    DAC
     Audiosector NOS
    Integrated Amp
     In the workshop
    Speakers
     Living Voice
    Pre Amp
     Gordon Welford
    Power Amp
     845 nutter
    Headphones
     Nah
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupinder View Post
    Buy some cheap copper wire and hear the difference -you'll be amazed i reckon!!
    Buy or try something else and you may be surprised.

I suggest killing and gutting a couple of zebras, drying out the innards and using that. Alternatively, some damp washing line or a pile of paper-clips joined together.

Or, as you might guess I'm suggesting, anything else at all.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Real Name
     Michael
    Digital Source 1
     Moon Supernova
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     (cdp)
    Speakers
     Ref3a Royal Virtuoso
    Pre Amp
     Moon i-5
    Power Amp
     Temple monos/Sugden
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by qu-be-2 View Post
    Well, possibly. You have to decide what you think you learn from reading cable threads

It's maybe worth pointing out that this is how small (esp plasterboard) rooms sound anyway - lots of reflection of mids-treble. Room treatment is more important than cables IMO, but there are some cables I would'nt want.
    Last edited by barry2tone; 24-06-2010 at 09:15 PM.
    "interior desecrators and natural downholsterers"