Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
    Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Damaged Dynavector 10x5 - Options?

Hi all,

Unfortunately, last night I somehow managed to damage my Dynavector 10x5. The cantilever was bent to one side, twisted, and the diamond stylus appears to be completely missing. I'm not sure how it happened; I certainly don't recall giving it a knock.

What are my options? Is it worth repairing the 10x5 (eg with Expert Stylus & Cartridge Co.) or should I get something else? Also, is it worth making a claim on my home insurance? (I have accidental damage cover).

My currect setup is a Jelco SA-750D mounted on a Michell Gyro SE, feeding a Tag Mclaren PPA20, Tag DPA32R, Tag 125M x2 into Monitor Audio GR20s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Another option to consider is that Dynavector offer an exchange price for a new one against your old one, which saves a bit of the cost.
    Audio Note, Audion, Consonance, Croft, Edwards Audio, Living Voice, Michell, Nottingham Analogue, ProAc, Pure Sound, Rega, Verdier and many more.

Sssshhh Shut The F..k Up It Cost How Much!?!'s Avatar
    Real Name
     Bob
    Turn Table
     Transrotor Fat Bob
    T/Arm & Cart
     Transrotor/Koetsu
    SUT/Phono
     S&B/Hagerman Trumpet
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric P-30
    DAC
     AS DAX Discrete
    Speakers
     JBL L112 Quad ESL989
    Pre Amp
     Audio Research SP14
    Power Amp
     Primare 928 (white)
    Headphones
     Stax 4040 Beyer 990
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I would trade it for a new one if you're happy with the sound. Another option is to go for a second hand nearly new Dynavector 17D3, which is a major step up.

Real Name
     Frank Abela
    Turn Table
     Orbe/Aro/XV-1S
    Digital Source 1
     In Limbo currently..
    Integrated Amp
     Naim 282/hi/250.2
    Speakers
     Naim SL-2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    If the only damage were that the stylus were missing, there could be an argument that the stylus had popped out of the cantilever (it can happen). But with a twisted cantilever, I'm afraid you'd have pretty much zero chance of claiming faulty manufacture. You'll get body credit from the dealer for the damaged cartridge, not entirely sure how much and it varies depending on the new cartridge you go for. If you were happy with the 10x5, stick with it. If you wanted more fidelity, you could look at the 20XH or 20XL (High and Low variants. The Low is better than the High but this depends ont he quality of your phono stage and I honestly can't remember how good the TMA phono stage was).

House insurance would be worth chasing if the value of the component were high. I suspect that you'll have 100 excess as a minimum in which case I doubt the claim would be worth it, especially if it affected your premium. If it were an XV-1S (3000) then that would be a different matter...!
    Regards,
    Frank.

All opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinion of any organisations I work for, except where this is stated explicitly.

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I spoke to Expert Stylus & Cartridge and they were very helpful. He doesn't think a rebuild of the 10x5 would be cost effective, but I am able to part-ex it against one of their cartridges if I wish. One that particularly interests me is their modified Denon DL103. I think I remember seeing something about that cartridge on another forum. Anyone got one or have any experience of them?

I think I'd definitely like to try something other than another 10x5 (really wish I could have bought one of the AT33PTGs that someone advertised on here a month or two ago, but my finances were required elsewhere). Can't afford to buy something straight away as the car needs servicing this month. Currently using a Roksan Corus Black, which sounds quite nice to be honest.

Regards
    Gary

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     LP12/armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok / DV20X(h)
    SUT/Phono
     SAE
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 508/20
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV656
    Speakers
     JM Lab Cobalt 816S
    Pre Amp
     SAE Mark 1 / M G01
    Power Amp
     SAE Mark 2b
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The 103 requires a fairly high mass arm to work well, so it should be fine in your 750. Good cart.

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     LP12/armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok / DV20X(h)
    SUT/Phono
     SAE
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 508/20
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV656
    Speakers
     JM Lab Cobalt 816S
    Pre Amp
     SAE Mark 1 / M G01
    Power Amp
     SAE Mark 2b
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The 103 requires a fairly high mass arm to work well, so it should be fine in your 750. Good cart.

Real Name
     Frank Abela
    Turn Table
     Orbe/Aro/XV-1S
    Digital Source 1
     In Limbo currently..
    Integrated Amp
     Naim 282/hi/250.2
    Speakers
     Naim SL-2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Just think - if you'd bought the AT, you'd have wrecked the AT...
    Regards,
    Frank.

All opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinion of any organisations I work for, except where this is stated explicitly.

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehengequad View Post
    Apparently, the modified ones are easier to match and track at a "normal" 2g.

Regards
    Gary

Registered
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Abela View Post
    Just think - if you'd bought the AT, you'd have wrecked the AT...
    Possibly. I was changing headshells to do a comparison of the 10x5 with the Corus Black, but the second headshell was too light (an ADC magnesium one). I've now got a Sumiko HS-12 but now have no 10x5 to compare anyway (RIP).

Lots of bills to pay this month so a new cartridge is going to have to wait.

Regards
    Gary