PC HDMI out.
    Integrated Amp
     Yaqin MC-30L
    Speakers
     Peerless/Hiquphon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Audio Technica AT440mla

I'm in need of a new stylus for my Grado but I've always been a bit disappointed with the tracking towards the center of the record. I've been browsing the net for a new cartridge on a limited budget and the AT440mla caught my eye because of the microline stylus. I have a few rough sounding vinyls that have been played on some truly dreadful (read knackered) turntables over the years and as such I'm looking for something that will make the best of them. Does anyone have one of these or know anything about how they perform?

Jae.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     SME 20/2
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V/Transfig
    SUT/Phono
     Allnic H1201
    Digital Source 1
     Trichord Pulsar DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Mac Mini
    Speakers
     Harbeth HL4/Snell K
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M2 Sig
    Power Amp
     WAD 300b PP
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi Jae

I have a AT440mla and it has made a big difference in the last 3 weeks I have had it installed. It replaced a oldish MK1 AT OC9 which was warn more than I thought and has made a number of heavily warn EBay and Charity finds far more listinable. If you can finds one for 125 or less I would grab it. I was lucky and found mine on fleabay for 75.

Still would like to use a AT OC9 and might get one from the same source as a 125 AT440mla SoundHifi.

Flapland
    Turntable:SME 20/2 Tonearm: SME V Cartridge Transfiguration Temper V Phono Allnic H1201 Pre-Amp Audio Note M2 Signature Power Amp WAD 300b PP Digital Sources Toshiba 9000 DVD Trichord Pulsar DAC and Mac Mini 2011 Speakers ​Harbeth HL1-Mk4 or Snell K

Real Name
     Jaedon
    Turn Table
     Hitachi Ht-660
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT440mla
    SUT/Phono
     Cambridge Audio 640p
    Digital Source 1
     Asus Xonar Essence
    Digital Source 2
     PC HDMI out.
    Integrated Amp
     Yaqin MC-30L
    Speakers
     Peerless/Hiquphon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by flapland View Post
    Hi Jae

I have a AT440mla and it has made a big difference in the last 3 weeks I have had it installed. It replaced a oldish MK1 AT OC9 which was warn more than I thought and has made a number of heavily warn EBay and Charity finds far more listinable. If you can finds one for 125 or less I would grab it. I was lucky and found mine on fleabay for 75.

Still would like to use a AT OC9 and might get one from the same source as a 125 AT440mla SoundHifi.

Flapland
    Hi, thanks for that...just what I was looking for . I did manage to stumble upon that Soundhifi site, it seems to be the lowest price available unless one gets lucky on ebay. Wouldn't mind a better turntable to put it on but that'll have to wait a bit longer yet .

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     SME 20/2
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V/Transfig
    SUT/Phono
     Allnic H1201
    Digital Source 1
     Trichord Pulsar DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Mac Mini
    Speakers
     Harbeth HL4/Snell K
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M2 Sig
    Power Amp
     WAD 300b PP
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    No problem happy to assist a fellow northerner. Although living in London originally from Oldham via Middleton. I you email Sterohifi direct mentioning this or any other Forum you are a a member of you might get a better price. Nothing guaranteed as I haven't done it personally although I have seen mention elsewhere.
    Flapland
    Turntable:SME 20/2 Tonearm: SME V Cartridge Transfiguration Temper V Phono Allnic H1201 Pre-Amp Audio Note M2 Signature Power Amp WAD 300b PP Digital Sources Toshiba 9000 DVD Trichord Pulsar DAC and Mac Mini 2011 Speakers ​Harbeth HL1-Mk4 or Snell K

Banned
    Real Name
     Shane.
    Turn Table
     Rock II.
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5XS.
    Integrated Amp
     Naim Nait 5i-2.
    Speakers
     Spendor S3/5R.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The 440Mla is a very good cartridge, for it's price you really can't argue.

Real Name
     Jaedon
    Turn Table
     Hitachi Ht-660
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT440mla
    SUT/Phono
     Cambridge Audio 640p
    Digital Source 1
     Asus Xonar Essence
    Digital Source 2
     PC HDMI out.
    Integrated Amp
     Yaqin MC-30L
    Speakers
     Peerless/Hiquphon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by flapland View Post
    I you email Sterohifi direct mentioning this or any other Forum you are a a member of you might get a better price. Nothing guaranteed as I haven't done it personally although I have seen mention elsewhere.
    Flapland
    Cheers, I'll give that a try. It's a damn good price anyway, but any money off is most welcome .

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Thorens TD160 Super
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini
    Integrated Amp
     Primare / Cairn
    Speakers
     Royd Doublets & AV77
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Been running one for about 3 years now. No complaints at all. Can't say I've used many other carts to compare against, which makes it difficult for me to place it. Still it sounds good to my ears. Can't believe the price its going for now. When I got mine, they were about $100 in US (100 over here) and the exchange rate was about 2:1 then, so I got mine delivered for around 55!! Crazy now, I'd have to fork out more than double to replace it...

Everything is awesome.... freefallrob's Avatar
    Turn Table
     SL1200MK2
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB301
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hi there, i've no first hand experience of the 440MLA, but I do know the 120e well and it's very good, it also has no inner groove problems at all and is less bright reports say.

If you think you like the Grado sound then the AT sound may come as either a pleasant or unpleasant surprise.

I don't know your turntable, but it maybe worth trying an alignment which favours the inner grooves more like Stevenson (the cart would be further back in the head shell normally) track at what Grado recommend, normally 1.5 and make sure the front face is vertical when playing. I had alot of pleasure out of a Grado Prestige Black this way, no real issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by qu-be-2 View Post
    I'm in need of a new stylus for my Grado but I've always been a bit disappointed with the tracking towards the center of the record. I've been browsing the net for a new cartridge on a limited budget and the AT440mla caught my eye because of the microline stylus. I have a few rough sounding vinyls that have been played on some truly dreadful (read knackered) turntables over the years and as such I'm looking for something that will make the best of them. Does anyone have one of these or know anything about how they perform?

Jae.

Real Name
     Jaedon
    Turn Table
     Hitachi Ht-660
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT440mla
    SUT/Phono
     Cambridge Audio 640p
    Digital Source 1
     Asus Xonar Essence
    Digital Source 2
     PC HDMI out.
    Integrated Amp
     Yaqin MC-30L
    Speakers
     Peerless/Hiquphon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by freefallrob View Post
    Hi there, i've no first hand experience of the 440MLA, but I do know the 120e well and it's very good, it also has no inner groove problems at all and is less bright reports say.

If you think you like the Grado sound then the AT sound may come as either a pleasant or unpleasant surprise.

I don't know your turntable, but it maybe worth trying an alignment which favours the inner grooves more like Stevenson (the cart would be further back in the head shell normally) track at what Grado recommend, normally 1.5 and make sure the front face is vertical when playing. I had alot of pleasure out of a Grado Prestige Black this way, no real issues at all.
    Thanks, sounds like something to have a play with before I take the plunge. My turntable is acceptable, it cost next to nothing off of ebay (10 iirc) and works without much faffing about. But it's plastic bodied with a very basic tonearm and a rather loose sounding automatic return mechanism, in short I think I'm probably due an upgrade although it'll likely be another secondhand buy. The current alignment is Loefgren but it still seems to sound rough towards the inner grooves so I'll give Stevenson a try if I can find another printable PDF protractor