Mains Cables R Us. Temple Audio  Cranage Hifi Show
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wammer

Ownership Review : Passat 1.9 TDI PD130

Thought I would help out a bit here, first ever review, will keep it short and sweet.

I bought this car for £2200 14 months ago. It had no service history and it shows, its not been looked after well. It had 89k on it when i got it and now has nearly 130k, but in all honesty i think it had done more like 180k, ie clocked. The only modification I have done to it is to fit a pair of HID 6500k lights into the dipped projectors. Being projecters they "project" the light very well with no dazzling to other drivers. Never once have I been flashed for them by another driver, or pulled. They dont have a self level function so technically illegal, although the rules on this are as clear as mud.

Service wise its had one service, on longlife oil, 2 front tyres. Thats it. It goes through sidelights every other month, which is a pain as i cant fit my big hands down there to change them, so i just leave them off, they seem pretty useless anyway as the HID's are right next to them and i never sit in the car with the ignition off to actually use them.

However I think the merits of the car grossly outweigh any of the issues I have had, for £2k the cars been a bargain, heres a list of positives.

1. Performance - not bad at all, a bit laggy, not remapped it, 130hp, 225lb/ft, dont really need to go over 3krpm before changing gears. I always use vpower diesel so no idea what effect this has.

2. Comfort - car is comfy, im 6ft 8 and 22 stone and i only get stretch / back trouble after around 550 miles of constant driving, which ironically is usually fill up time.

3. Diesel consumption - Ive seen 650 miles to a tank before when i drove from plym - aberystwith and back pretty much none stop, not bad for a 55 litre tank, doing 80mph+ on the motorways and caining it round Wales' lovely roads! Regulary see 50mpg average, computer seems pretty accurate. When you think its nearly a 2 tonne car and i have a massive 4 cuft sub box in the boot, a load of camera gear, and sometimes 4 fully grown males with luggage, thats quite amazing. I get better overall mpg than a friend does in her 1.0 fiat thing, and not only is my car more refined (in both our opinions), hers wont go up hill in anything higher than third whilst i stay in fifth

Personally I hate diesels, i hate the noise they make, and whilst i wish i wouldnt have another one again, when looking at say, an a3 2.0tfsi vs the tdi equivalent, the tdi makes much more sense.

I can only think of one disadvantage and thats traffic, my clutch foot seizes up sometimes and the clutch is quite heavy with the biting point quite a way in, in stop start traffic the car is a nightmare, something thats really making me consider a DSG gearbox in my next car!

For £2k its an utter bargain, and its not even worth that now, im probably looking at selling it for around £1k when the time comes.

Please excuse the useless pics. Was new to photography when i took them, went mad with the contrast. The last one is latest.

Wanted: Harman Kardon HK680/690. PM Me.

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    You are lucky you fit it. I find the Passat desperately uncomfortable, and I loathe the cheap Eastern-block-style interior. And yes, the clutch is horrid. Our hard-used fleet ones are also prone to sending huge clouds of black smoke out the back at the slightest hint of throttle. Big furore in our company at the moment: a number of the UK/French sales force have said that the Passat is just not good enough to be a sensible business car. Our German masters are not happy.

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     TEAC VRDS
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     CA DAC Magic
    Speakers
     AE and Meadowlark
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Bladelius (Advantage
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by twoblacklines View Post
    Thought I would help out a bit here, first ever review, will keep it short and sweet.

I bought this car for £2200 14 months ago. It had no service history and it shows, its not been looked after well. It had 89k on it when i got it and now has nearly 130k, but in all honesty i think it had done more like 180k, ie clocked. The only modification I have done to it is to fit a pair of HID 6500k lights into the dipped projectors. Being projecters they "project" the light very well with no dazzling to other drivers. Never once have I been flashed for them by another driver, or pulled. They dont have a self level function so technically illegal, although the rules on this are as clear as mud.

Service wise its had one service, on longlife oil, 2 front tyres. Thats it. It goes through sidelights every other month, which is a pain as i cant fit my big hands down there to change them, so i just leave them off, they seem pretty useless anyway as the HID's are right next to them and i never sit in the car with the ignition off to actually use them.

However I think the merits of the car grossly outweigh any of the issues I have had, for £2k the cars been a bargain, heres a list of positives.

1. Performance - not bad at all, a bit laggy, not remapped it, 130hp, 225lb/ft, dont really need to go over 3krpm before changing gears. I always use vpower diesel so no idea what effect this has.

2. Comfort - car is comfy, im 6ft 8 and 22 stone and i only get stretch / back trouble after around 550 miles of constant driving, which ironically is usually fill up time.

3. Diesel consumption - Ive seen 650 miles to a tank before when i drove from plym - aberystwith and back pretty much none stop, not bad for a 55 litre tank, doing 80mph+ on the motorways and caining it round Wales' lovely roads! Regulary see 50mpg average, computer seems pretty accurate. When you think its nearly a 2 tonne car and i have a massive 4 cuft sub box in the boot, a load of camera gear, and sometimes 4 fully grown males with luggage, thats quite amazing. I get better overall mpg than a friend does in her 1.0 fiat thing, and not only is my car more refined (in both our opinions), hers wont go up hill in anything higher than third whilst i stay in fifth

Personally I hate diesels, i hate the noise they make, and whilst i wish i wouldnt have another one again, when looking at say, an a3 2.0tfsi vs the tdi equivalent, the tdi makes much more sense.

I can only think of one disadvantage and thats traffic, my clutch foot seizes up sometimes and the clutch is quite heavy with the biting point quite a way in, in stop start traffic the car is a nightmare, something thats really making me consider a DSG gearbox in my next car!

For £2k its an utter bargain, and its not even worth that now, im probably looking at selling it for around £1k when the time comes.

Please excuse the useless pics. Was new to photography when i took them, went mad with the contrast. The last one is latest.

Nice write up.

The big question is, will you be at Scalford? Because, you (same size as me) me and Jack are doing the door work

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by hifiwigwam View Post
    Nice write up.

The big question is, will you be at Scalford? Because, you (same size as me) me and Jack are doing the door work

If the three of you stand next to each other no one will get through the door
    "People are more important than animals" - Cloth Ears 22/2/13

Half man half cucumber johnniebaby's Avatar
    Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT OC-05
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Sony TA-FB930R QS
    Speakers
     Jimi Changs
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    If the three of you stand next to each other no one will get through the door
    If the three of them stand next to each other no one will get on the car park

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different to yours.............................

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     TEAC VRDS
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     CA DAC Magic
    Speakers
     AE and Meadowlark
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Bladelius (Advantage
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    We would make sure the event broke even though.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Ian
    Turn Table
     Garrard 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     OL Illustrious/G1042
    SUT/Phono
     Looking for one.
    Digital Source 1
     Sumo Axiom
    DAC
     Sumo Theorem
    Speakers
     John Bowers Active
    Pre Amp
     Icon Audio LA4 mkii
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by hifiwigwam View Post
    We would make sure the event broke even though.
    I think the bloody hotel would break

Wammer
    Little update. Had this remapped, for £360 with evolution chips.

Car now much better to drive, not just the extra power (between 170-180hp, 280lb/ft) but theres no lag anymore, foot down car surges forward all the way to around 4000rpm before power trails off. Can drive around in 5th at 40mph with no issues, whereas before it would stall.

Wierdly the same day it was remapped and 300 miles later, engine management light came on, car lost all power. Oh dear i thought, but it seems to be a simple brake light issue which is getting sorted tommorow.

No idea if economy has been improved as ive been too busy embarresing saxo vts' and 106 gti's.

Car is awesome on the motorway for overtaking. Sit at 70, need to go past something, foot down in 5th and its at 90 pretty much instantly (or so it feels), foot off and back to 70 again. Wish i had cruise control!

I really want to drive a remapped 1.8t version now to see if it feels the same, if it does then all that power without the clatter is only a good thing!
    Wanted: Harman Kardon HK680/690. PM Me.

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Sorry to preach - but trust you've notified your insurers, otherwise tis invalidated, upon which a court of law will not smile, much less the insurer pay-out if the worst should happen...

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT OC-05
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Sony TA-FB930R QS
    Speakers
     Jimi Changs
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Little update. Had this remapped, for £360 with evolution chips.

Car now much better to drive, not just the extra power (between 170-180hp, 280lb/ft) but theres no lag anymore, foot down car surges forward all the way to around 4000rpm before power trails off. Can drive around in 5th at 40mph with no issues, whereas before it would stall.

Wierdly the same day it was remapped and 300 miles later, engine management light came on, car lost all power. Oh dear i thought, but it seems to be a simple brake light issue which is getting sorted tommorow.

No idea if economy has been improved as ive been too busy embarresing saxo vts' and 106 gti's.

Car is awesome on the motorway for overtaking. Sit at 70, need to go past something, foot down in 5th and its at 90 pretty much instantly (or so it feels), foot off and back to 70 again. Wish i had cruise control!

I really want to drive a remapped 1.8t version now to see if it feels the same, if it does then all that power without the clatter is only a good thing!

A brake light failure causing loss of engine power ?????????????? That's a new one.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different to yours.............................

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Rega RP6
    T/Arm & Cart
     DL-110
    SUT/Phono
     need one badly
    Digital Source 1
     Rotel RCD-965BX
    DAC
     rDAC
    Speakers
     Dynaudio DM2/7
    Pre Amp
     Rotel RC-995
    Power Amp
     Rotel RB-991
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    My neighbour has a remapped 1.8t, which i drove. The power is great, however... 19 MPG!!!
    BTW I drive the same 1.9 as you do, it's ok because you don't have to worry about fuel costs too much, but that horrid diesel sound...

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-10,Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop
    DAC
     Sonneteer Sedley USB
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnniebaby View Post
    A brake light failure causing loss of engine power ?????????????? That's a new one.
    No idea with that particular car, but it isn't too unusual - a lot of cars just have far too many sensors and often it is the sensors that create the problem rather than what they are trying to detect - in this case, it could just be it has detected a voltage change or suchlike due to the light and since it doesn't know what is the fault, it goes into 'safty mode' where you can get home but no revs and restricted power.

Was a common thing with the old Preludes with electronic 4ws (4th gen, 3rd gen had mechanical 4ws so no problems) - if someone had a 4ws problem, I would advise they check for a blown bulb - it was almost always the fault as the electronics switched off the 4ws as a safety measure due to the sensor not knowing what was wrong.

Unison Research S9, much loved, seeking new home for fun and frolics with your speakers
    Palmer 2.5 Turntable
    , SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Puresound A8500 CDP into L300/845M and out of Acoustic Energy Reference 1s

Check out these stocking fillers

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...m-Purité-North

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-10,Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop
    DAC
     Sonneteer Sedley USB
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Incidentally - I had the 1.9 TDi 130 some years back ..... bought it with 8,500 miles, sold it with 96,000 miles and I never had any issues with lag, no stalling if in 6th gear at 40mph and it was certainly a lot quicker than the 2.0 TDi Golf that I had driven before it - and more frugel (I averaged over 50mpg all the time)

Some of the failings that you decribe that were fixed by the 'chip' may well have in truth been fixed by a simple service and set-up as they are faults I certainly didn't have with mine over a lot of miles.
    I used to get between 600 and 650 to a tank most fills, though I almost saw 700 miles from a tank - never quite made that though.

Unison Research S9, much loved, seeking new home for fun and frolics with your speakers
    Palmer 2.5 Turntable
    , SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Puresound A8500 CDP into L300/845M and out of Acoustic Energy Reference 1s

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT OC-05
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Sony TA-FB930R QS
    Speakers
     Jimi Changs
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Incidentally - I had the 1.9 TDi 130 some years back ..... bought it with 8,500 miles, sold it with 96,000 miles and I never had any issues with lag, no stalling if in 6th gear at 40mph and it was certainly a lot quicker than the 2.0 TDi Golf that I had driven before it - and more frugel (I averaged over 50mpg all the time)

Some of the failings that you decribe that were fixed by the 'chip' may well have in truth been fixed by a simple service and set-up as they are faults I certainly didn't have with mine over a lot of miles.
    I used to get between 600 and 650 to a tank most fills, though I almost saw 700 miles from a tank - never quite made that though.
    Well Sam, you learn something new every day

Real Name
     Karl
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    ...a lot of cars just have far too many sensors...
    At the risk of being over nostalgic, car electrics now are so damn complex/complicated. Just look at the 12 or more pages in a Haynes manual that a typical modern cars circuit diagram covers, WTF is all this for?
    I rememberthe circuit on my Herald; Battery->Fuse->Switch->Light->Earth. (And that was after I fitted a fuse box!)
    If it ain't going in, it ain't coming out

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-10,Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop
    DAC
     Sonneteer Sedley USB
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnniebaby View Post
    Well Sam, you learn something new every day
    I assume you meant to quote my first post regarding the light

Palmer 2.5 Turntable

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Pioneer PL71
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT OC-05
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Sony TA-FB930R QS
    Speakers
     Jimi Changs
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I assume you meant to quote my first post regarding the light
    Yes Sam, if a garage had told me that I would have thought they were taking the mick

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by karlinamillion View Post
    At the risk of being over nostalgic, car electrics now are so damn complex/complicated. Just look at the 12 or more pages in a Haynes manual that a typical modern cars circuit diagram covers, WTF is all this for?
    I rememberthe circuit on my Herald; Battery->Fuse->Switch->Light->Earth. (And that was after I fitted a fuse box!)
    couldn't agree more, modern cars are oversized, overweight, and stuffed to the gizzard with pointless reptoys like mobile budgie cages. Even the much-vaunted safety and driving aid features to my mind cause as many problems as they alleviate - not just (e.g.) traction-sensing which makes them *harder* to drive in snow, but all the myriad "safety" features that merely lull the average fuckwit into a false sense of security and so a commensurately reckless or careless driving style...

And all of it just more to go wrong!

Turn Table
     Clearaudio
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME
    SUT/Phono
     EAR
    Digital Source 1
     Advantage
    Speakers
     Leema/Ditton
    Pre Amp
     Bow
    Power Amp
     Bryston
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I have a slightly rose tinted memory of old time motoring too... Anything could be fixed with a spanner and some chewing gum, empty roads etc.
    But being realistic I also remember that you were never sure if you'd actually finish any journey, or in many cases even start it wot with the general unreliability of many motors.
    Cars are, on the whole, much more reliable these days IME!
    Admitedly, they can be a bugger to fix if they go wrong, and can be horrendously over-complicated (frinstance, don't buy any Land Rover after the TD300!), but airborne particulate emissions are right down
    and you can now mine your own platinum by sweeping the roads...

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Smalls View Post
    I have a slightly rose tinted memory of old time motoring too... Anything could be fixed with a spanner and some chewing gum, empty roads etc.
    But being realistic I also remember that you were never sure if you'd actually finish any journey, or in many cases even start it wot with the general unreliability of many motors.
    Cars are, on the whole, much more reliable these days IME!
    Admitedly, they can be a bugger to fix if they go wrong, and can be horrendously over-complicated (frinstance, don't buy any Land Rover after the TD300!), but airborne particulate emissions are right down
    and you can now mine your own platinum by sweeping the roads...
    Yep, I'll buy that there's been improvement in some areas, only Mercs rust-out in three years these days for instance I only wish that there was more of a trend to retain the best of the old and only the truly worthwhile from the new, but I do know it's all about the compromises demanded by the mass-market, so know all too well that I'm pissing into the wind with this!