Audio Emotion Evolution Audio Epiphany Acoustics 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wammer
    The brake lights are on the same circuit as the glowplugs, which are required for a diesel engine to heat the diesel fuel up ready for combustion. So when the brake lights tripped the circuit, the glowplugs stopped working. All sorted now.

Mines the 5 speed so different ratios.

We think the car was economy mapped with a rubbish remap!
    Wanted: Harman Kardon HK680/690. PM Me.

Wammer
    Been remapped for a few months now...........and its boring.

Whilst the powers still there it feels like it isnt, only the clutch slip which is still very slight lets me know its there.

Car is just boring tbh. Then again what with paying nearly £1.50 per litre I have been driving off boost everywhere I can...

Wammer
    SOLD

And its replacement....the same car LOL

Albeit a less mileage much better looked after one with full service history, half leather heated seats, sat nav, estate (better for music).

Going to do a little SQ install in this eventually.

Oh and the 1.8t and its so slow compared to the remapped tdi, so much lag then nothing happens!

Wammer

Wammer
    K04-16 turbo, larger injectors, remap and BMC CDA coming soon. Should be knocking on the door of 250hp and 210lb/ft. I dont want to change the exhaust for a louder one so I have to either get a 2.5" one built that sounds the same or just keep this one. No one seems to know the limit of the standard exhaust though.

Pac67
    Quote Originally Posted by twoblacklines View Post
    K04-16 turbo, larger injectors, remap and BMC CDA coming soon. Should be knocking on the door of 250hp and 210lb/ft. I dont want to change the exhaust for a louder one so I have to either get a 2.5" one built that sounds the same or just keep this one. No one seems to know the limit of the standard exhaust though.
    Nice but why? Seems a strange car to base a "performance" upgrade on. The engine might be capable, but the standard 1.8T brakes and suspension probably are not, and increased risk of clutch going south unless that's up to 250BHP.

From what I've seen of "tuned" petrol VW's, they all seem to share two traits:

1. They are generally unreliable;

2. They drink petrol like a thirsty Sheik.

Both my brother and neighbour have gone down this route with VW engined cars and its been an expensive and unrewarding journey. The TDi's probably a better beast for modest power gains, but a 1.8 petrol estate isn't IMHO.

Nice roomy car though.

Super Dooper Wammer johnniebaby's Avatar
    Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Little Pink Thing
    T/Arm & Cart
     Orion Aurelius/1042
    SUT/Phono
     Kinshaw Perception
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Ming Da 18 watt SET
    Speakers
     Impulse H6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    And the insurance?

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different to yours.............................

Wammer
    What about the insurance ?

I dont know wether to tune this one or buy something else, and if i do buy something else i have no idea what!

I would like DSG in my next car but most are out of the price range, been looking at an e36 m3 lately again too, they seem like bargains, 300hp for under £4k

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Flog the asspat and buy a fast car!

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Little Pink Thing
    T/Arm & Cart
     Orion Aurelius/1042
    SUT/Phono
     Kinshaw Perception
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Ming Da 18 watt SET
    Speakers
     Impulse H6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by twoblacklines;1079646[FONT=impact
    ]What about the insurance ?[/FONT]

I dont know wether to tune this one or buy something else, and if i do buy something else i have no idea what!

I would like DSG in my next car but most are out of the price range, been looking at an e36 m3 lately again too, they seem like bargains, 300hp for under £4k
    The insurance is going to be astronomical........or don't you bother?

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different to yours.............................

Wammer
    I dont know why you just assume that i dont insure a car, ive spent over £10k on insurance easily in my driving career (which is silly really as ive never claimed yet my ncb seems to go down a year everytime i change car)

it will be around £1800.

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Little Pink Thing
    T/Arm & Cart
     Orion Aurelius/1042
    SUT/Phono
     Kinshaw Perception
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Ming Da 18 watt SET
    Speakers
     Impulse H6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I dont know why you just assume that i dont insure a car, ive spent over £10k on insurance easily in my driving career (which is silly really as ive never claimed yet my ncb seems to go down a year everytime i change car)

it will be around £1800.
    Not assuming anything, I asked how much the insurance would be and you didn't reply, not that it's any of my beeswax.

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Box-Design CD Box DS
    Digital Source 2
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    DAC
     M2TECH Young DSD
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy Ref1
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I must admit jb - I read your "or don't you bother" comment the same way ...... a lot of people have a downer on people who modify cars and assume we all don't bother telling the insurance companies about the mods. I declare every single thing - even changing the gear knob!
    Although it would be a cold day in hell before I'd pay £1,800 to insure any Passat - I pay less than that in total for all 3 of my cars!

THE NEW NAME FOR PURITÉ NORTH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ October 2014 Pricelist Here
    Palmer 2.5 TT
    , SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Sonneteer Byron into Puresound 2A3 and out of Acoustic Energy Radiance 2s

Real Name
     John
    Turn Table
     Little Pink Thing
    T/Arm & Cart
     Orion Aurelius/1042
    SUT/Phono
     Kinshaw Perception
    Digital Source 1
     Bewitch 8000A
    Digital Source 2
     iTouch/Pro-ject dock
    Integrated Amp
     Ming Da 18 watt SET
    Speakers
     Impulse H6
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    I must admit jb - I read your "or don't you bother" comment the same way ...... a lot of people have a downer on people who modify cars and assume we all don't bother telling the insurance companies about the mods. I declare every single thing - even changing the gear knob!
    Although it would be a cold day in hell before I'd pay £1,800 to insure any Passat - I pay less than that in total for all 3 of my cars!
    Fair enough Sam, but I am pretty sure that TBL is in his early twenties, and don't really understand how you can get high performance/modified cars insured at that age. without it costing literally thousands, but as I said, none of my business.
    I know when I enquired with my insurer about having my 156 remapped, it doubled the premium.
    Last edited by johnniebaby; 22-09-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Turn Table
     One day
    Digital Source 1
     EMM Labs
    Speakers
     Kharma
    Pre Amp
     Aesthetix
    Power Amp
     Kharma
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

I had a TDi 130 estate, a new 52, 50k +/- a year and enjoyed having it in an unremarkable sort of way, it did everything quite well. Dealer service was rubbish and there were more minor faults than I'd have expected meaning more visits for crap service as on that mileage it was in pretty regularly for service. Quite a few cars in between but if you like the Passat Estate you'll love a 156 (diesel), not quite as much room but much nicer to drive, engine doesn't rattle quite as much and no more unreliable.

Wammer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnniebaby View Post
    Fair enough Sam, but I am pretty sure that TBL is in his early twenties, and don't really understand how you can get high performance/modified cars insured at that age. without it costing literally thousands, but as I said, none of my business.
    I know when I enquired with my insurer about having my 156 remapped, it doubled the premium.
    Im 25, full NCB, live in a low crime area, cars garaged and I have one of those diy trackers so even if my car gets stolen I dont need to claim, nor even ring the police.

I can insure a modified all-declared single turbo Supra for just under £2k, an F40 worth £450k for £400FC (i have the screenshot somewhere too!) etc.

Yet poxy cars like my passat seem to be more expensive to insure, I pay £700FC currently :\

Wammer
    New car, passat on autotrader, which seems a hideous waste of cash!