Oppo BDP-105
    Integrated Amp
     EE M520
    Speakers
     B&W 805S
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Just replaced most of my electronics with Arcam. During the (long!) auditioning process I heard the Arcam CD35/C31/P1 combo at the dealer along with my Veritas speakers and eventually decided on that solution.

The kit is at home at I'm a happy boy EXCEPT that there's a definite edginess to the treble, it's a bit harsh, not unlivewithable (ahemm...excuse me) but really needs sorting. The only difference between what what I listened to at the dealer and what I hear at home (OK different room acoustics I know) was the speaker cable (same interconnects were used). The dealer used Naim speaker cableand mine is QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire.

When I save up enough I have in mind to replace the speakers and Crustloafer has given me some very good tips on what he recommends in terms of a short list but that's a little way off yet. In the interim I think I need to change to speaker cable.

It could be that the electronics will when run in become more mellow I don't know. I rather thought that the CD36 would be the problem but connecting in my old Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI exhibits the same problem whereas when it used to play through my Arcam A85 it was fine (in this aspect only, otherwise of course the sound is just in a different league with the new kit - otherwise I'd have kept my money!).

What would people recommend in terms of cable? Considerations:

1. I'm not going to make my own Cat 5 or any other despite how good they may be!
    2. I am not convinced of the benefits of bi-wire so am happy to move back to plain old single wire.
    Thanks everyone

The world is filling up with entropy

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

before you spend lots of pennies on cable, if you have a local maplins try some of this, I would suggest the 4mm

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...&doy=7m10D

Music is an outburst of the soul

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Although I've not used Arcam gear, I've tried Silver Anni in 3 quite different systems with the same horrible effect you describe - almost anything is better: Pirelli fire alarm cable was a big upgrade!

The Maplins reco is a good one, or try this stuff: http://www.vdctrading.com/content.asp?SubsectionID=30

4 or 6 mm will do very nicely - actually the 6 mm is overkill, but it looks the dogs.

If you can spend a bit more we have a couple of chaps in the Dealers section who make some very seriously good wires...

good luck, churz, eofs

Effem

Post imported post

Bought a pair of Castle speakers recently and they were definatley 'off song' and I couldn't figure out why until I saw the jumper links had beenreplaced with Silver Anniversary.Set of silver wire jumpers got them singing nicely again, but if 4 inches of SA can do that I dread to think what 4 metres are likely to do to the sound

My advice then mirrors the Earl's.

Real Name
     Duke of Steepletone
    Turn Table
     Steepletone Rock One
    Digital Source 1
     Steepletone Rock One
    Digital Source 2
     Steepletone Rock One
    Speakers
     Steepletone Rock One
    Pre Amp
     Steepletone Rock One
    Power Amp
     Steepletone Rock One
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I use QED Silver Anniversary.I think itis fine.
    New signature coming soon...

Real Name
     Stuart
    Turn Table
     Michell Gyro SE
    Digital Source 1
     Yamaha CD-S2000
    Integrated Amp
     Plinius Pre/Power
    Speakers
     ProAc
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Get some of Effems great sounding and inexpensive wire.

PM him for advice.
    Just coz you got the power... that don't mean you got the right.

Wammer

Post imported post

don't blame the cable!!! QED SA is ok!

if your system sounds brash look at speaker placement first, then the room - is there a lot of glass and hard surfaces <wood floors, bare walls etc>

did you listen to it all before buying it?
    Naim, Rega, B&W

adam

Post imported post

Thumbs down too from me regarding the QED,silver platter copper does nothing for me,except make the treble tinny,for the same price I'd look at the DNM reson or again the maplins,silver is the new emporers clothes for me.

Not from round here baltika_no_9's Avatar
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Inspire Quest
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audiomods V/AT33EV
    SUT/Phono
     ProJect Phono Box RS
    Digital Source 1
     ND5 XS/NAS
    Digital Source 2
     Oppo BDP-105
    Integrated Amp
     EE M520
    Speakers
     B&W 805S
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hey Woody don't get me wrong. The QED SA cable has done me really proud for a few years now. It's just that by elimination it's a likely candidate for the problem I am hearing with my new amplification.

I auditioned the whole set up (CDP, Pre, Power, interconnects) with my own speakers at the dealer's so I know how it sounded then. I didn't take my speaker cables along though.

I don't think it's my room or furnishings as they haven't changed. Speaker position etc all as before.

I am not saying QED is bad just that it appears not to be compatible with the Arcam C31/P1 monobloc combination.

I appreciate very much the replies yourself and others have made to my post.

Thanks all and best regards....Now I need to follow up on some of the recommendation!

Are dealers going to lend me cables to try though?

The world is filling up with entropy

adam

Post imported post

Arcam always used to use Audioquest,solid core copper,I would look for something like that,Audioquest are harder to find these days think.

Post imported post

there is nothing wrong with qed silver cable, i use it and it's not in the slightest bit harsh in fact it calms the system down a little. forget naim cable i didn't like it one bit.

the smoothest cable i know of is van den hul cs122 i think it's called. and that is silver plated aswell.

Post imported post

I have Arcam gear with both B&W and Quad speakers (in two systems) and the symptoms you describe where exactly mine when I used QED SA. I would recommend either Chord Oddyssey or the cheaper Chord Rumour. Additionally the range of Atlas speaker cables and interconnects seem to work well with Arcam gear IMHO. There seems to be complimentary mentions for Effem's speaker cables too and I think if I was in the market I'd be considering giving them trial - and as Earl said there are 'wire sellers' in the dealer classifieds you may wish to consider.

Cheers

SDG

Real Name
     Duke of Steepletone
    Turn Table
     Steepletone Rock One
    Digital Source 1
     Steepletone Rock One
    Digital Source 2
     Steepletone Rock One
    Speakers
     Steepletone Rock One
    Pre Amp
     Steepletone Rock One
    Power Amp
     Steepletone Rock One
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

The QED cable is not the problem. It'syour house and all your belongings. Keep the cable but replace your house and all your belongings.
    New signature coming soon...

Post imported post

notaclue wrote:
    The QED cable is not the problem. It'syour house and all your belongings. Keep the cable but replace your house and all your belongings.
    your right a cable change will not help matters, not that cable anyway.

Banned
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Hmmm... a pattern emerges: QED SA - crap in some systems, good in others...

who'da thunkit?

Wammer

Post imported post

For the sake of a few quid I would try some of the Van Damme stuff as it might solve the problem. Interestingly I dont like the QED SA - but I love the QED Silver 12 stuff (at £15/m) it isnt in the least bit bright - quite the opposite actually it has one of the cleanest top ends ive heard without spending ridiculous amounts.

Once had some up against the QED 4x4, Flatline Gold and something else i cant remember. 4x4 and the no-name sounded ok, but slightly muddied, Flatline gold was great for dynamics but sucked ass overall cos it was harsh as f*** (listening to it gave me a headache) and the Silver 12 was lovely and smooth with no unpleasantness (but it does lack a little impact)

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Are your speakers biwirable? if so replace the jumpers with lengths of speaker cable from VDH, this will smooth out the sound(Can be too coloured/smooth for some). How much did you want to spend?
    You have probably tried this but toe-ing in the speakers more can eliminate top end harshness caused by wall refections.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I use QED SA BI-WIRE in my arcam / pmc setup, and have never experiencedany of the problems mentioned here.
    [Luke:] I can't believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.

Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Bush

Post imported post

I used to use QED SA and it was ok but a bit rough. Dynamics were good but I wasnt entirely happy with it.

A.N.

Post imported post

i was using qed sa, found it a bit aggressive. changed to audioquest crystal, unbelievable difference. like changing a major part of the system. with arcam gear and mission 752f's the sa sounded superb, but with the naim/royds, to harsh.

A.N.