Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Binoculars

lots to say and a bit to ask
    Been looking and looking and have decided the following
    10 x mag is perfect but heavy for all day use. 8 X is fine really. 8 X 40 ish is best for twighlight, but since Barn Owls are rare 8 X 30/32 is ideal to use all day BECAUSE:
    Lighter weight, not too small (weight adds some stability), a tad better VFM, bright enoug and very portable. I want rubber (who doesn't?) nitrogen filled and waterproof.
    Best VFM for that spec is Bushnell etc, but Ive used these and they don't outdo my current pair (Swift Osprey) which I'd like to achieve, so....
    I've narrowed down to Minox / Kowa and Nikon HG (all around the 700/800 mark, so 1/2 the cost of Leica etc).
    Anyone got any experience of these before I buy the Kowas and sod it?
    still just watching clouds

Real Name
     Dana
    Turn Table
     Technics SL150, SME,
    Digital Source 1
     UR CDE
    Integrated Amp
     UR Performance
    Speakers
     UR Grand Callas
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Not considered the Steiner Skyhawks? Always well reviewed, good vfm, and have used them loads - mind you, I do know the diff if you go for a real expensive spotting scope, for example, it's substantial..
    There's no way I'm going to be the richest person in the graveyard...

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Digital Source 1
     IT DOESN'T MATTER
    Digital Source 2
     'COS SERGE SAYS THEY
    DAC
     ARE ALL ADEQUATE
    Integrated Amp
     SO THERE!!!!!!
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Had Leicas for years myself - birding use - but bought Minox for the wife. Light, great image quality & well made. Definitely one to audition. You ARE going to audition before you buy, aren't you?

Oh, and 8x are my choice (40 or 42mm) best compromise between magnification, light gathering & field of view IMO.
    Forging away

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Peter
    Turn Table
     Linn Axis/Denon DL11
    Digital Source 1
     MF
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet
    Speakers
     Musical Technology
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I use 8x42 for bird watching but when I bought mine the chap in the shop (In-Focus at Martin Mere) was using 7x42. Given he had the pick of his stock that has to be some sort of recommendation. I could barely tell the difference in the view between the 7x and 8x but I preferred the balance and weight of the 8x42. Don't rule out 7x. Anyway, I had a go with the Nikon HG and very good they were too but I made the mistake of looking through some Zeiss and I was smitten.

Are you prepared to go pre-loved? There are some fantastic bargains that way. I have bought a used pair of bins for my daughter from

http://focusoptics.eu/Pages/home.html

and got fantastic service but I notice the used section of the website hasn't been updated for a while.

If you have nowt better to do, have a look at

http://www.birdforum.net/forum.php

Scroll all the way down the page and have a look at the binoculars section. If people thought we could get a bit anal in here, we are nothing compared to those who inhabit the Birdforum binoculars section. You will get loads of info there. As Paul says you ARE going to audition aren't you?

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Digital Source 1
     IT DOESN'T MATTER
    Digital Source 2
     'COS SERGE SAYS THEY
    DAC
     ARE ALL ADEQUATE
    Integrated Amp
     SO THERE!!!!!!
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yeah, 7x are good for rainforest birding - I know, I've tried a pair and the extra light gathering is worthwhile - but not too many around.

The Zeiss optics are fantastic Peter, but obviously higher priced than the OP's budget - in line with Leica, Swarovski etc.
    Forging away

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Peter
    Turn Table
     Linn Axis/Denon DL11
    Digital Source 1
     MF
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet
    Speakers
     Musical Technology
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I know the Zeiss are expensive but one could get pre-loved within budget?

Real Name
     Rich
    Turn Table
     Garrard 301
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 2-Shelter 501
    SUT/Phono
     Tribute SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Unison Unico CDE
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox/Vortexbox
    DAC
     Audio Note DAC 2
    Integrated Amp
     Audio Note Oto SE
    Speakers
     Audio Note AN-J/lx
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I spent ages researching bins a few years ago.

Quite a few people 'in the know' all recommended a brand called Opticron. I bought a pair and have been delighted.
    ...I went to a funeral, which was very sad, and then I popped into Hi-fi Serious, to pick up a top of the range Bang & Olufson stereo system...

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Digital Source 1
     IT DOESN'T MATTER
    Digital Source 2
     'COS SERGE SAYS THEY
    DAC
     ARE ALL ADEQUATE
    Integrated Amp
     SO THERE!!!!!!
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    OK, I have looked through more pairs of bins than you can shake a stick at, in every type of habitat you can imagine. My "other" interest (apart from music & hifi) is birding.

Opticron, Bushnell, Swarovski, Leica, Minox, Nikon, Zeiss, Steiner, Swift - need I go on? With bins, possibly more than any other consumer item I can think of, you get what you pay for.

Optically, the top brands (Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski) are unbeatable. Build quality - same story. Reliability - same. However, there are compromises. As I said in an earlier post, I bought Minox for Mrs Mac and they really are good optically (slightly below Leica etc) the build quality is very good (better than Bushnell, Opticron etc but not as good as Zeiss etc.)

You DO need to audition though, please do not buy them on line based on reviews/advice. I really do not think that there is enough difference between Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski to choose, other than personal preference. At each descending level, the same applies, until you get to the real bottom of the pile (which I am sure you have no intention of visiting)

I don't know how urgent your purchase is, but if you are going to Scalford, I could bring my Leicas and, as Mrs Mac is going, she will bring her Minox. You could try them there and see what you think.
    Last edited by pmac; 21-01-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spliieng and punctauttion
    Forging away

Wammer
    Real Name
     Geoffrey
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Apollo+Rega DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Sony CDP-XB920E QS
    Integrated Amp
     PrimaLuna P2/HK990
    Speakers
     SHL5/Tannoy T/Quad
    Pre Amp
     Croft 25R
    Power Amp
     Croft 7
    Headphones
     Goldring DR150
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Have a look at the binoculars section on BirdForum here http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

These apparently, are very, very close to the alpha binoculars at a fraction of the cost. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hawke-Fronti...5684254&sr=8-1

This is what I'm currently using and they are superb. http://www.pennineonline.com/acatalog/Vortex_Razor.html

Geoff.

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Peter
    Turn Table
     Linn Axis/Denon DL11
    Digital Source 1
     MF
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet
    Speakers
     Musical Technology
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    John,

I endorse everything that Paul has said particularly about looking through the bins. But (and there is always a but) it might be worth a phonecall to Penine Optics. They have a used pair of Swaro 8.5x42 EL at 899. (use Rapid17's link and look in "clearance corner"). Above your budget but a very good bin at that price. Do the distance selling regs apply to used purchases from a shop? I suppose they must. Might be worth a 7 day trial!

Super Dooper Wammer rockmeister's Avatar
    Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    well thank you chaps
    I've been looking at lots of online stuff....hence the X 32 ish choice and looked at Nikon Monarchs at that mag. to see if size/heft etc was about right in jessops....
    Yes I ought to look of course but WHERE???? Fine for londoners, but in dorset/devon borders? Nearest I can find is 135 mile drive!
    Kowas are 'apparently' as near as dammit to Leica quality, a tad better than Minox and = to Nikon HG (my summary of massed online opinion) but I'll look at the birdforum you suggest too...many thanks again.
    PMac, that's a kind offer. I HOPE to go to Scalford....we'll see...Please god let me remember to let you know in time!!!

Bottom line is, my current 2 pairs (Swift Ospreys 7.4 X 45 and Zeiss T* 10 x 22) are two ends of what I need and use...also 98% birding...been at this quite seriously since I bought the Ospreys in 1982, but do not twitch...too busy with other bits of life! So it kinda makes sense to compromise on a pair that will do most of what you want....my theory is that the easier they are to pick up in any situation (crap weather, cold and foggy, long long walks etc) the more they'll be used.
    Budget is def limited to 800 MAX.
    still just watching clouds

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Peter
    Turn Table
     Linn Axis/Denon DL11
    Digital Source 1
     MF
    Integrated Amp
     Electrocompaniet
    Speakers
     Musical Technology
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    If budget is limited to 800 max, I suggest you are slow to look through Swaro, Zeis or Leica. Upgradeitis will definately take hold. Have a look at In-Focus optics or RSPB sites. Very often there are "field trial days" at RSPB or WWT places. How far is Slimbridge from you?

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Digital Source 1
     IT DOESN'T MATTER
    Digital Source 2
     'COS SERGE SAYS THEY
    DAC
     ARE ALL ADEQUATE
    Integrated Amp
     SO THERE!!!!!!
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmeister View Post
    well thank you chaps
    I've been looking at lots of online stuff....hence the X 32 ish choice and looked at Nikon Monarchs at that mag. to see if size/heft etc was about right in jessops....
    Yes I ought to look of course but WHERE???? Fine for londoners, but in dorset/devon borders? Nearest I can find is 135 mile drive!
    Kowas are 'apparently' as near as dammit to Leica quality, a tad better than Minox and = to Nikon HG (my summary of massed online opinion) but I'll look at the birdforum you suggest too...many thanks again.
    PMac, that's a kind offer. I HOPE to go to Scalford....we'll see...Please god let me remember to let you know in time!!!

Bottom line is, my current 2 pairs (Swift Ospreys 7.4 X 45 and Zeiss T* 10 x 22) are two ends of what I need and use...also 98% birding...been at this quite seriously since I bought the Ospreys in 1982, but do not twitch...too busy with other bits of life! So it kinda makes sense to compromise on a pair that will do most of what you want....my theory is that the easier they are to pick up in any situation (crap weather, cold and foggy, long long walks etc) the more they'll be used.
    Budget is def limited to 800 MAX.
    Do you live near any of the LCE stores? Look on here:

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/NewProduct...w=6&Binoculars

They usually have a massive range available and some of my birding friends in the South swear by them.

Btw, I don't twitch either. Still manage a trip to Isles of Scilly each October though, in the hope of finding that "biggy" amongst the migrants. More interested in "World birding" now. Got a trip to India planned in a couple of weeks (if our visas ever arrive!). I'll be back in time for Scalford though!
    Forging away

Real Name
     Dana
    Turn Table
     Technics SL150, SME,
    Digital Source 1
     UR CDE
    Integrated Amp
     UR Performance
    Speakers
     UR Grand Callas
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Good call using InFocus. Bought a spotting scope there, they gave me a good discount and threw in a decent CF Velbon tripod.
    There's no way I'm going to be the richest person in the graveyard...

Wammer
    Real Name
     Geoffrey
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Apollo+Rega DAC
    Digital Source 2
     Sony CDP-XB920E QS
    Integrated Amp
     PrimaLuna P2/HK990
    Speakers
     SHL5/Tannoy T/Quad
    Pre Amp
     Croft 25R
    Power Amp
     Croft 7
    Headphones
     Goldring DR150
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Is this shop worth a visit ? http://www.acecameras.co.uk/

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    At a recent Infocus event at one of our local nature reserves, I compared some Delta and Opticron 8x20-odd with some similar size Zeiss etc: yes the poncey Germans were better, but NOT 7 or 8 times better.

I bought a pair of Delta 8x26 as a second/lighter weight pair.

Mrs B has a pair of Delta 8x42 which are pretty nifty optically.

Opticron are deffo good value too.

I have to say that for birdwatching I have long liked 10x bins for the extra light gathering and magnification (currently using a pair of Pyser-SGI 10.5x42) & put up with any increase in weight, but I'm a butch northerner .

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I bought a pair of Bresser (who? you might ask) 10x50 bino's from Aldi a couple of years ago for 15. Coated optics and rubber coated body. For the money, they really are fantastic value. More than good enough for star gazing.
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Digital Source 1
     IT DOESN'T MATTER
    Digital Source 2
     'COS SERGE SAYS THEY
    DAC
     ARE ALL ADEQUATE
    Integrated Amp
     SO THERE!!!!!!
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    At a recent Infocus event at one of our local nature reserves, I compared some Delta and Opticron 8x20-odd with some similar size Zeiss etc: yes the poncey Germans were better, but NOT 7 or 8 times better.

I bought a pair of Delta 8x26 as a second/lighter weight pair.

Mrs B has a pair of Delta 8x42 which are pretty nifty optically.

Opticron are deffo good value too.

I have to say that for birdwatching I have long liked 10x bins for the extra light gathering and magnification (currently using a pair of Pyser-SGI 10.5x42) & put up with any increase in weight, but I'm a butch northerner .
    Sorry to disagree, but the 8x "gather" more light than 10x. It is a simple equation - divide the objective lens diameter by the magnification and it gives you the "exit pupil" for example 40 divided by 8 gives an exit pupil of 5 - the higher the number, the brighter (or lighter) the image.

As for the Zeiss bin's being only marginally better than Opticron et al, I agree as far as initial image quality is concerned, however the build quality, lens coatings & guarantees are much better. Hence the price difference. With a budget of 800 Rocky ought to be looking at some good second hand Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski IMO
    Forging away

Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     StSt Motus II
    T/Arm & Cart
     Io Ltd & Arm 3
    SUT/Phono
     SFz/Aurorasound Vida
    Digital Source 1
     IT DOESN'T MATTER
    Digital Source 2
     'COS SERGE SAYS THEY
    DAC
     ARE ALL ADEQUATE
    Integrated Amp
     SO THERE!!!!!!
    Speakers
     Tune Audio Prime
    Pre Amp
     M7
    Power Amp
     Coco SIT/Canary 300B
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    [QUOTE=zebra100;917559]I bought a pair of Bresser (who? you might ask) 10x50 bino's from Aldi a couple of years ago for 15. Coated optics and rubber coated body. For the money, they really are fantastic value. More than good enough for star gazing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but rubbish for birding
    Forging away

Super Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    [QUOTE=pmac;917564]
    Quote Originally Posted by zebra100 View Post
    I bought a pair of Bresser (who? you might ask) 10x50 bino's from Aldi a couple of years ago for 15. Coated optics and rubber coated body. For the money, they really are fantastic value. More than good enough for star gazing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but rubbish for birding
    Not really. Perfectly acceptable for viewing our local wildlife, especially our regular visitors to these parts, a pair of Field fares.
    Tomorrow belongs to those who can see it coming.
    Chris.