Audio Emotion  Epiphany Acoustics 
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

I read in another thread that AK might experiment and TBH id like to try some out too...
    The problem is that i dont know much about whats available. I took a look at some border patrol but they were too expensive for an experiment but at the other end of the scale i didnt get much out of an icon 40 something integrated.

So whats out there thats worth a look? Pictures, descriptions and prices all welcome

Hawk

Post imported post

have a look at shadow audios website Hawk

Quinpo looks interesting, as does the eatern elctric stuff, I'd also maybe try a prima luna prologue, I heard a nice 300b at the glasgow show, looked ugly but sounded great, the meishu or sumat like that, £3400 w/out a phonostage, 8w/ch, very nice indeed.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

audiovalve pre (can't remember the name) was VERY impressive when I heard it with solid state power, best sound I've ever heard from my stiletto's

Real Name
     colin
    Turn Table
     Rega P9
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB 1000 Apheta
    SUT/Phono
     ios
    Digital Source 1
     saturn
    Digital Source 2
     squeeze box touch
    Speakers
     spen A6
    Pre Amp
     Rega Cursa
    Power Amp
     Rega Exon
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Try the pima luna 2 int or 3 + 4 pre-power, may be the quad II/40, or the audi research integrated Vsi 55 or something like that. There is also the Jadis Range, it depends how much money you want to part with, That lot covers from about £1 k to about £6K
    Music is an outburst of the soul

Wammer

Post imported post

Hawk,

May I suggest a PM to either SCIDB (Dean) or Lilolee, what these gents don't know/owned about valves, you cvan't write on a match stick.
    Both are very genuine & decent guys and will happily give you a few options.
    Mr.C
    Distributor/stockists of Audio Physics/Art Loudspeakers/Belles /Bel canto/Black Ravioli/Coherent-Systems cabling /Esoteric/Focal Loudspeakers/Heco loudspeakers/Puresound/Revolver Loudspeakers/RPG Panels/Still points/Townshend audio

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies guys....

I'll def check out shadow, and the Jadis stuff... and if i recall correctly ive spoken to SCIDB before re the border patrol.

Cheers

Hawk

Real Name
     Alan
    Turn Table
     Scheu Premier II
    T/Arm & Cart
     12" Unify + Glider
    SUT/Phono
     CEC PH53
    Digital Source 1
     Sony SCD-XA5400ES
    Speakers
     Event Opals
    Pre Amp
     Spectral DMC 30S
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

You didn't like the Icon stereo 40i? What was your thoughts on it? I've been very tempted by it.

I have been trying some 2nd hand valves myself in last few weeks, very much enjoyed an old Unison Research S2 with 12 watt output into LV Auditoriums, but when I put the TacT SDA back in I realised again how good it was... maybe not quite the valve magic with voices but so much more authority and speed.

Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3 / IO1
    SUT/Phono
     AN S4 / Vida
    Digital Source 1
     Esoteric X-03se
    Digital Source 2
     Transporter
    Integrated Amp
     Rowland Concentra 2
    Speakers
     Art Deco 10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hawk, If you want to see and hear some of the Jadis stuff, you could always pop along to Walrus Systems in the West End. IIRC, they may also be open Sundays.There is one problem with going to Walrus though -it makes you want to upgrade your TT!

Wammer

Post imported post

Supercapman used to run the Icon40 I. The Manley Stingray is one HUGE jump over it, bags of power groove and delicacy, plus it plays music. Around £1400 used.
    Worth an auditon
    Distributor/stockists of Audio Physics/Art Loudspeakers/Belles /Bel canto/Black Ravioli/Coherent-Systems cabling /Esoteric/Focal Loudspeakers/Heco loudspeakers/Puresound/Revolver Loudspeakers/RPG Panels/Still points/Townshend audio

Wammer

Post imported post

Around £1400 used.

Seen it new for less than that UK ;)

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

musicbox wrote:
    You didn't like the Icon stereo 40i?* What was your thoughts on it?* I've been very tempted by it.

I have been trying some 2nd hand valves myself in last few weeks, very much enjoyed an old Unison Research S2 with 12 watt output into LV Auditoriums, but when I put the TacT SDA back in I realised again how good it was... maybe not quite the valve magic with voices but so much more authority and speed.

I think that for the money the Icon was a great amp but to be fair to it it was on a hiding to nothing as my benchmark is some quite expensive solid state amplification costing a fair bit more..

I did like the mid range, but things that troubled me were the lack of bass control and a higher level of background noise.* To my ears it was also a little slow, more lazy and relaxing than exciting if that makes sense.

I accept that valves have their pros and cons and i guess my question is how the situation improves as you go up the food chain?

....but as winter approaches those bottles could provide some much welcome extra heating ;)

Hawk