Marantz CD6003
    Integrated Amp
     Audiolab 8000S
    Speakers
     Mission 751
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Moto GP

First race of the new season in Qatar is on Sunday evening BBC2 19.00. Looks as if Honda are currently favourites based on pre-season testing and today's practice sessions, with Stoner significantly faster than Pedrosa. Be interesting to see how close Spies is to Lorenzo, and how quickly the Rossi-Ducati marriage starts off, with Vale suggesting the team is still slightly behind, but i guess he's playing it down quite a lot. Should be good fun with hopefully at least the big 4 in the shakeup on a regular basis.

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Possibly going to be the best Motogp season in years. It's been pretty lacklustre for quite a while. Stoner's definitely the man to watch for me as he's flying on that Honda. If he can win races on that dog of a Ducati he'll be laughing on the Honda. He could well spur on Pedrosa to make an effort as well as he's never really showed his potential as HRC's No. 1.

I never really took to Lorenzo but there's no denying he's a fast and clever rider and still one to watch. He knows when to back off and settle for a 2nd or 3rd spot and when to push it. I'd imagine Ducati have been working flat out to do something with their bike but I can't see anything dramatic happening at this stage. You can't rule out Rossi over the season though. Spies has promise as well and I'd imagine he's got a good shot at more than a few podiums this season.

This is the first time in a very long time that I've been fairly excited about the Motogp.
    * I'd rather be on my bike *

Real Name
     Jack
    Turn Table
     J.C.Verdier Platine
    T/Arm & Cart
     IO-Gold + SPU Spirit
    SUT/Phono
     Modwright PH150
    Digital Source 1
     Mac Mini
    Digital Source 2
     Audionote UK
    DAC
     Modwright Elyse
    Speakers
     TuneAudio Anima
    Pre Amp
     Modwright 36.5 'DM'
    Power Amp
     Modwright KWA-150SE
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Looking forward to this tomorrow

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheva View Post
    how quickly the Rossi-Ducati marriage starts off, with Vale suggesting the team is still slightly behind, but i guess he's playing it down quite a lot.
    I think that shoulder injury is giving Rossi more problems than he'd like, and I'd be surprised if he takes any wins before that's completely right - which may be mid-season.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I think we may have seen the shape of things to come, Stoner v. Lorenzo, with a few minor players occasionally intervening. I'd never count out Rossi, but the combination of that damaged shoulder and a difficult bike is going to make even podium possibilities unlikely for some time.

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     LP12/armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok / DV20X(h)
    SUT/Phono
     SAE
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 508/20
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV656
    Speakers
     JM Lab Cobalt 816S
    Pre Amp
     SAE Mark 1 / M G01
    Power Amp
     SAE Mark 2b
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    What struck me about the Ducati was it is no longer the bucking bronco it used to be with Stoner on it. Rossi and his crew have engineered the beast to be a smooth operator and looks predictable and forgiving. They need to get more speed from it but it looks encouraging. The three works Honda's look great and should take the fight to Lorenzo and Spies. Yep, it's going to be a good season........
    Currently enjoying: LP12/Naim Armageddon/Ittok LVII/DV20H, JVC QL-Y5F, Ortofon VMS 20Mk2, Meridian 508-20, SAE Mark 1 Pre amp, SAE Mark 2b Power amp, SAE Mark 7 equalizer, SAE 5000 noise suppresor, Harbeth HL K6, Isoblue, Atlas Titan and Apex pure Cu.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    It was a shame that Pedrosa hit some problem towards the end. Whilst he tends to always have an excuse when such happens he has always been very open about them. This time he did seem really quite concerned and I wish him well in resolving whatever issue he has.

Unlike tones, I don't consider Pedrosa a 'minor player'. He's an extremely talented rider and with the Honda going as well as it is he must surely be a championship contender and much needed ingredient to keep the racing exciting. I very much hope Honda don't screw up the bike for him
    should they attemp to develop the bike soley to satisfy Stoner's riding style.

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Box-Design CD Box DS
    Digital Source 2
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    DAC
     M2TECH Young DSD
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy Ref1
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy0444 View Post
    It was a shame that Pedrosa hit some problem towards the end. Whilst he tends to always have an excuse when such happens he has always been very open about them. This time he did seem really quite concerned and I wish him well in resolving whatever issue he has.
    I thought he raced better and for longer than I expected (though I did tip him to come in 3rd place) ....... he obviously has a huge weight/aero advantage since he is a hobbit, but I often in the past wondered if his stamina is just compromised from being so tiny.

However on this occasion, apparently he sometimes suffers from numbness (since breaking his collar bone last year) and it came on near the end of the race, hence him dropping off.

Palmer 2.5 Turntable, SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Sonneteer Byron CDP into L300/845M and out of Acoustic Energy Reference 1s

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy0444 View Post
    Unlike tones, I don't consider Pedrosa a 'minor player'. He's an extremely talented rider and with the Honda going as well as it is he must surely be a championship contender and much needed ingredient to keep the racing exciting. I very much hope Honda don't screw up the bike for him should they attemp to develop the bike soley to satisfy Stoner's riding style.
    I didn't mean that unkindly, he is undoubtedly talented and entertaining. I was thinking more along the lines of folk who occasionally win a race, but who are rarely seriously in the hunt for the championship. Now obviously the current "major" players were once "minor" themselves, so making a distinction is fraught with peril, but overall, I don't think Pedrosa, Dovizioso and Spies are in the same league as Lorenzo, Stoner and a fully-fit Rossi. Will they ever be? Perhaps, but I have my doubts - but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Sam & tones, I was unaware that Pedrosa's numbness problem had been an issue for some time. If this is the case it could well relegate Pedrosa to a minor player at the more demanding circuits; a real pity.

tones, I agree with you about Dovizioso has he has yet to show anything other than being a good 'Second Rider'. Whilst Spies undoubtedly has outstanding talent, the praise that's been given by the press last season seems somewhat over-done to me. He'll do well for sure, but a potential MotoGP championship contender?

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon Salsa
    SUT/Phono
     Dino+
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz 6005
    Integrated Amp
     Creek Evo
    Speakers
     Proac/Wychwood Studio 150
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I'm much more of a Superbike fan but this years GP's look quite exciting. I will of course be rooting for Cal. The thing that spoils it for me is the 2 fuckwits who comment on SKY, Jeremy and julian or whatever they are called, they are like 40 year olds who never left the 6th Form, Wankers.

Give me Jack and Jamie (sorry it's James now) anytime.

Cheers BB

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     LP12/armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok / DV20X(h)
    SUT/Phono
     SAE
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 508/20
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV656
    Speakers
     JM Lab Cobalt 816S
    Pre Amp
     SAE Mark 1 / M G01
    Power Amp
     SAE Mark 2b
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by tones View Post
    I didn't mean that unkindly, he is undoubtedly talented and entertaining. I was thinking more along the lines of folk who occasionally win a race, but who are rarely seriously in the hunt for the championship. Now obviously the current "major" players were once "minor" themselves, so making a distinction is fraught with peril, but overall, I don't think Pedrosa, Dovizioso and Spies are in the same league as Lorenzo, Stoner and a fully-fit Rossi. Will they ever be? Perhaps, but I have my doubts - but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
    Where would you put Hayden? He is also not a top 3 player but won the championship........... I think Pedrosa is brilliant, extremely quick and smooth and can just fook off and leave the rest in his wake. But his size means he is not a fighter, Rossi can bully because of his size and Stoner/Lorenzo are the only ones that fight back. I want to see Rossi fit (it will be soon) and some more speed out of the Duc and I am sure he is desperate to win his 8th championship for the Italian factory then retire.
    Currently enjoying: LP12/Naim Armageddon/Ittok LVII/DV20H, JVC QL-Y5F, Ortofon VMS 20Mk2, Meridian 508-20, SAE Mark 1 Pre amp, SAE Mark 2b Power amp, SAE Mark 7 equalizer, SAE 5000 noise suppresor, Harbeth HL K6, Isoblue, Atlas Titan and Apex pure Cu.

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehengequad View Post
    Where would you put Hayden? He is also not a top 3 player but won the championship........... I think Pedrosa is brilliant, extremely quick and smooth and can just fook off and leave the rest in his wake. But his size means he is not a fighter, Rossi can bully because of his size and Stoner/Lorenzo are the only ones that fight back. I want to see Rossi fit (it will be soon) and some more speed out of the Duc and I am sure he is desperate to win his 8th championship for the Italian factory then retire.
    Good point! To me, Hayden seems to be one of those cases where he put together a good year on a top bike and won the championship. He seems to have gone considerably off the boil ever since and simply has never managed to climb again to the heights of that championship year.

I confess I've never thought of Rossi's size as a factor - he's a skinny runt. Is it not more that Rossi is prepared to be aggressive to the point of intimidation in his moves? The Laguna Seca dice with Stoner is a case in point - he simply wouldn't give ground. Stoner eventually went off, but by that time they were so far in front of everyone else that he handily retained second. At the end, Stoner was so upset that he wouldn't shake Rossi's hand.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    BTW, didn't Cal Crutchlow ride well

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Box-Design CD Box DS
    Digital Source 2
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    DAC
     M2TECH Young DSD
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy Ref1
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Tones, I agree in that Pedrosa IMO can start great, but always seems to trail off and not manage to sustain it for the full hour. Contrast with Rossi who if he has a race really in battle for a huge amount of the race, he looks rejuvenated and buzzing - clearly loves it! (Recall Lacuna Seca a couple of years back!)

Dovi - when 'on it' is awesome ... but he is very inconsistent.

Spies - like to see him do well, not been in this league long enough yet to really say.

Rossi - not this year I suspect, but would love him to fight for and win the Championship on the Duccati!

Palmer 2.5 Turntable, SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Sonneteer Byron CDP into L300/845M and out of Acoustic Energy Reference 1s

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    (Recall Lacuna Seca a couple of years back!)
    THAT I shall never forget - that truly was a edge-of-seat, nail-biting, race-and-a-half. I can't recall ever seeing better. I check out the YouTube clip every now and again to be thrilled all over again.

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Box-Design CD Box DS
    Digital Source 2
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    DAC
     M2TECH Young DSD
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy Ref1
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by tones View Post
    THAT I shall never forget - that truly was a edge-of-seat, nail-biting, race-and-a-half. I can't recall ever seeing better. I check out the YouTube clip every now and again to be thrilled all over again.
    & I agree - greatest racing of any kind that I have seen. I wanted it to go right to the end, but not sure my heart could have taken it!

I was disappointed at first at Stoner's attitude after the race (which also led to a lot of people branding him a whinger) - but he'd not seen the footage at that point so believed Rossi had purposely barged him - and of course, would have had elevated heart rate/emotions etc ..... once he calmed down he was much happier and played nicely.

Real Name
     Davy
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Speakers
     Dynaudio BM6A Mk II
    Pre Amp
     TC Electronic BMC-2
    Power Amp
     4 in the speakers
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    I was disappointed at first at Stoner's attitude after the race (which also led to a lot of people branding him a whinger) - but he'd not seen the footage at that point so believed Rossi had purposely barged him - and of course, would have had elevated heart rate/emotions etc ..... once he calmed down he was much happier and played nicely.
    Absolutely spot on. A lot of people missed that but in the race I'm sure it did look like Rossi had purposley pulled that manoevre. Stoner was fine as you say after he saw the footage. Rossi does whinge though. He's a great rider and a good laugh but he still finds time to whinge as much as any of them. I like Rossi but generally dislike his fans. I swear they'd be happy with a grid of one so he could just win every race. I guess someone has to buy all the naff 46 merchandise, helmets and limited bike paint jobs though.

For the first time in a long time MotoGP has a grid of truly great riders instead of one or two and we'll hopefully get some decent races like we did years ago. I do wish they'd do away with all the rider aids though. Rossi got that much right.
    * I'd rather be on my bike *

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     LP12/armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ittok / DV20X(h)
    SUT/Phono
     SAE
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 508/20
    Digital Source 2
     Pioneer DV656
    Speakers
     JM Lab Cobalt 816S
    Pre Amp
     SAE Mark 1 / M G01
    Power Amp
     SAE Mark 2b
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That was 2008 Laguna Seka? The year after Stoner won the championship. This was Rossi at his very best, both physically and mentally. He figured out that he needed to stay with the rapid Casey to have any chance of a victory. What transpired was that Casey would fluster and make mistakes if really pushed - this was a real turning point and levelled the field. If this didn't happen, Stoner was on for multiple titles.

This makes Rossi the best. His appreciation of the issue and how to deal with it. I doubt we will see the same again.

Oh, and don't forget Rossi HATES Laguna Seka!

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Box-Design CD Box DS
    Digital Source 2
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    DAC
     M2TECH Young DSD
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy Ref1
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Really surprised you think the 2 Eurosport presenters are not good, I think they are far better than the BBC ones - but if you don't like - just watch the BBC coverage instead of Eurosport.