Speakers
     Acoustic Energy
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Just watched the race, didn't know about the crash - felt shocked and when he was laying on the track with helmet off, knew not good - very very sad - a huge loss to the sport, bigger loss to his family and friends.

Unison Research S9, much loved, seeking new home for fun and frolics with your speakers
    Palmer 2.5 Turntable
    , SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Puresound A8500 CDP into L300/845M and out of Acoustic Energy Reference 1s

Check out these stocking fillers

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...m-Purité-North

Real Name
     john
    Turn Table
     Palmer2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-9, Benz SL wd
    Digital Source 1
     Luxman CD 05
    Integrated Amp
     Luxman SQ 38u
    Speakers
     Harbeth sHL5
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Very sad and tragic for all concerned. Reminds everyone of how bloody tough and dangerous these sports are.
    WTF are 'incense owls'?

Real Name
     Craig
    Digital Source 1
     Apple TV
    Integrated Amp
     NAD D7050
    Speakers
     Rega RS3
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Don't recall when I last felt this miserable. Felt numb all day having seen it live and can't get the sadness of it out of my head. So Christ know's what it's like to lose someone you know in this manner.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Rock II
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB250/VdH DDT-II
    SUT/Phono
     Hagerman Bugle 2
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     NOS 1543
    Integrated Amp
     Copland CSA-14
    Speakers
     Castle Howards
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    RIP Marco, one of the best, a true racer's racer if ever there was one. A future champion taken before his time.
    Townshend Elite Rock - my new TT since 1986

Digital Source 1
     Esoteric DV60
    Digital Source 2
     Stella 100
    DAC
     Stella 100 signature
    Integrated Amp
     ATC SIA2-150
    Speakers
     Geddes Nathan 10
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Tragic news, and I'm also sorry for the two who unaviodably hit him .
    TAG / ATC SCM50A / M&K / Esoteric DV60 AV system; Stello DA100 transport and Sig DAC, ATC SIA2-150, Geddes Nathan 10 two-channel.

Acc shut see Purité North
    Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    This has been my first season watching this series and I'm just shocked and stunned that one of its biggest and most-promising characters has been lost like this.
    I can't begin to imagine what his friends and family must be going through...

Real Name
     Steve
    Turn Table
     Clearaudio Emotion
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon Salsa
    SUT/Phono
     Dino+
    Digital Source 1
     Marantz 6005
    Integrated Amp
     Creek Evo
    Speakers
     Proac/Wychwood Studio 150
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I absolutely love bike racing but it sickens me when people die. I know they are doing something they love but it doesn't stop me feeling guilty. As I've got older the feeling has got worse and I rarely watch wet races now because I think it's reckless asking people to race in such conditions. I just sit there worrying that someone is going to seriously injure themselves.

Cheers BB

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Poor Rossi must be inconsolable, there's a horrible picture that seems to imply it was his bike that did the fatal damage. Bad enough to lose a close friend but to be directly involved is incomprehensible.

As sodders, it's such a shock to see someone with so much promise cut short like this, he was such a breath of fresh air with his riding style and aggression/flair that it was worth watching the MotoGP for him alone even though he wasn't always battling at the front.

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Well shit happens it just seems to happen a lot less these days so the impact is greater if you get my kind of thinking. Its a dangerous sport and they're all big boys who i suspect would do this on track days for nothing . The fact they get paid to do something they love is a bonus. We are fascinated by people operating on the edge of life . I swore i'd never watch another F1 race afer Senna but i did and still do
    First pressings son !

Real Name
     Terry
    Turn Table
     Project Debut 3 (SE)
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon 2M Blue
    SUT/Phono
     Edwards Audio
    Digital Source 1
     Shanling CD-T80
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz 7001 KI
    Speakers
     Ruark Prologue II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    "My first thoughts - and this is absolutely my own gut feeling - are that Rossi could now retire.
    I know he will be mortified by Marco's death. They were close friends and had been for a long, long time.
    He was involved in the accident and it will be very hard for him to cope with it."
    Steve Parrish on Simoncelli

Thoughts anyone ?
    I hear much support for the monarchy, I hear the Union Jack's to remain,
    I see Namajira in custody, I see Truganini in chains.

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Nothing will reduce the sadness of this event, but it is, as Danny says, important to always remember that the guys doing this do it for love of the sport - our entertainment is a relatively minor consideration, so no-one should feel guilty, only pity and sympathy, which I'm sure we all do.

Simoncelli's sad loss was the first fatality since 2003, but contrast that with the everyday driving we all do, which worldwide kills 1.2 million people every year. Racing is orders of magnitude more dangerous, yet we too risk our lives every time we get in our cars ('specially with my driving! ). It's a question of keeping this in perspective - losing a racer is awful, but it's the inherent danger of the competition that helps make it exciting, otherwise we may as well stick with Scalextric...

Real Name
     Terry
    Turn Table
     Project Debut 3 (SE)
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon 2M Blue
    SUT/Phono
     Edwards Audio
    Digital Source 1
     Shanling CD-T80
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz 7001 KI
    Speakers
     Ruark Prologue II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    Well shit happens it just seems to happen a lot less these days so the impact is greater if you get my kind of thinking. Its a dangerous sport and they're all big boys who i suspect would do this on track days for nothing . The fact they get paid to do something they love is a bonus. We are fascinated by people operating on the edge of life . I swore i'd never watch another F1 race afer Senna but i did and still do
    While "shit happens" is a bit harsh, I agree that these guys are doing what they love. They go into the sport knowing the risks. Safety in Bikes can only go so far, unlike F1. You cannot surround a rider in carbon fibre for one.

I was in shock when Senna was killed (I actually had friends send me condolence cards). I am fanatical about the sport and Senna was my hero (I met him several times in Adelaide over the years and he was always willing to indulge my Q&A sessions).

The shock is often amplified if the death is of a great or potentially great racer. How many people remember Roland Ratzenberger ?
    No death should go unrecognised but if it happens to a successful individual then obviously more people will sit up and take notice. We have lost many greats over the years but thankfully not as frequently as we used to.

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-10,Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop
    DAC
     Sonneteer Sedley USB
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I still find it hard to believe he is dead TBH. Crashes are so routine in bike racing that I am sure no-one who has been racing for any length of time has not had at least a few broken bones.
    But almost always, they remarkably pick themselves up and run to their bike hopeful of getting back on and carrying on. Seeing someone laying motionless was a shock.
    As for Rossi - I cannot even begin to imagine how he feels. It must be the hardest thing. On the one hand, he knows there was nothing he could do. On the other, he hit his friend and possibly, that impact killed him. No matter how out of your hands, it would be hard not to always be asking "What if" ..... even the very fact he was such an inspiration to Marco to get to MotoGP in the first place. You would drive yourself insane if you thought about the what ifs too much. Nothing changes the fact it has happened.
    He should be remembered as an entertaining, passionate and talented rider who had the potential to be a future world champion - but then respect that and continue.

Oh ... and I cannot believe that as I drove to work, the Sports News on the radio had several minutes devoted to a football match where someone lost badly, yet no mention of MotoGP.

Unison Research S9, much loved, seeking new home for fun and frolics with your speakers
    Palmer 2.5 Turntable
    , SME M2-10, Lyra Kleos, Puresound P10/T10 or Puresound A8500 CDP into L300/845M and out of Acoustic Energy Reference 1s

Real Name
     Terry
    Turn Table
     Project Debut 3 (SE)
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ortofon 2M Blue
    SUT/Phono
     Edwards Audio
    Digital Source 1
     Shanling CD-T80
    Integrated Amp
     Marantz 7001 KI
    Speakers
     Ruark Prologue II
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Oh ... and I cannot believe that as I drove to work, the Sports News on the radio had several minutes devoted to a football match where someone lost badly, yet no mention of MotoGP.
    Sadly, as with so many stories here, it's because he wasn't British. Nobody without an interest motorsport had heard of Dan Wheldon until last week. Sad but true. If one of the British riders had died, the papers and TV would have full of it.

Real Name
     Purité North
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozexpat View Post
    "My first thoughts - and this is absolutely my own gut feeling - are that Rossi could now retire.
    I know he will be mortified by Marco's death. They were close friends and had been for a long, long time.
    He was involved in the accident and it will be very hard for him to cope with it."
    Steve Parrish on Simoncelli

Thoughts anyone ?
    Rossi's going to be so gutted I do wonder if he'll want to get back on a bike now? At the same time, it's hardly how he's going to want to bow-out of such an auspicious career. Do you know if he was planning on staying with Ducati? Guess competitiveness of 2012's prospective ride may have an influence on his decision. He's bound to be blaming himself to some extent at least, but every half-sane pundit I've read is saying there was nothing anyone could do to avoid what took place.

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if he called it a day with the bikes and made the move to 4 wheels like he's been threatening for years.

Real Name
     Samantha
    Turn Table
     Palmer 2.5
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME M2-10,Lyra Kleos
    SUT/Phono
     Sonneteer Sedley
    Digital Source 1
     Sonneteer Byron CDP
    Digital Source 2
     Laptop
    DAC
     Sonneteer Sedley USB
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     Acoustic Energy
    Pre Amp
     Puresound L300
    Power Amp
     Puresound M845s
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Hopefully this is correct and Rossi won't be retiring quite yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motogp/15432782.stm

Palmer 2.5 Turntable

Turn Table
     british
    T/Arm & Cart
     chinese + japanese
    SUT/Phono
     chinese
    Digital Source 1
     chinese
    DAC
     chinese
    Integrated Amp
     Israeli
    Speakers
     Mind your own
    Pre Amp
     What for?
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    first let me apologize for not reading every post here so someone may have already said this, but these guys are falling most weekends, in practise and the races. Its a miracle it doesn't happen more often, how many times have I whinced when a rider has gone down and been missed by a whisker.

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    it's the inherent danger of the competition that helps make it exciting, otherwise we may as well stick with Scalextric...
    Just got back from holiday with no Internet access. I was saddened by this, as Simoncelli was an exciting racer ("swashbuckling" is the word that comes immediately to mind). He'd led races, he'd achieved his first podium position and I was looking forward to his first win. Alas, no more.

What His Disgrace says above is quite right; while nobody but a ghoul wants to see someone injured or killed, there's something in our psychological makeup that, knowing that we will all eventually die and rebelling against it, responds to the sight of someone taking things right to the edge of mortality and getting away with it. This is also true of skydiving, rock climbing, etc. of course, but for those (e.g. myself) who are far too chicken to do such things, the racers stand in for us. These sports are made as safe as possible, but, as Mark Webber pointed out in an excellent BBC column, there are occasions when, in spite of the fantastic skills, fitness and safety precautions, you are just a passenger and your fate is in the hands of, er, fate. This was true of Dan Wheldon (whom Webber knew personally and liked) and Simoncelli. One racing death will always be one too many, but we can be thankful that we have come a long, long way from The Bad Old Days, when several GP drivers a year were killed. And it's worth reflecting that Mike Hawthorn, the UK's first World Champion, survived all the dangers of that era (including the horrific 1955 Le Mans), only to die on the public roads shortly after retirement.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet

Pac67
    Its a very sad week all round for motorsport what with one of the British drivers killed in the States and now Simoncelli. I can't remember when I last felt this gutted about the sudden and tragic death of such a rising young star. Read an interview by Colin Edwards, who is putting on a brave face but was obviously traumatised by the event. His shoulder was separated in the accident and he has suspected broken bones in his foot. The final few moments unsurprisingly are haunting him, and what Rossi must be going through too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rossi pull out next season and call it a day. Its strange the strength of feeling that this has created worldwide and must be down to how popular the sport has become and how unconsciously closely we associate with the riders. I can't remember this strength of feeling since Joey Dunlop's fatal accident, but since then there have been many deaths at the IoM which have gone by largely un-noticed (save Dave Jefferies) but I guess that tragedy isn't expected on the world stage of Moto GP or F1 whereas its not unexpected for the IoM racing.