Oppo 105D
    Integrated Amp
     Perreaux Radiance 200i
    Speakers
     Triangle Magellan
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Interesting thread...

I'm looking for a replacement for my BMW 3 Touring because we now have a baby and it's just not big enough.
    I took a 170bhp diesel estate Superb Elegance (DSG) for a test drive on Monday and thought it was a very good car indeed. It was the dealer's car and FULLY loaded.

A big plus point for the Skoda is that when you start to look through the extras lists (eg. bigger alloys, parking assist, xenons) the prices tend to be less than the Audis, Mercs and BMW's . It componds the "better value" of the Skoda.

The Skoda has 600+ litres of boot pace. It's feckin' huge.

Real Name
     Jezzer
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch / HK HD990
    Integrated Amp
     Simaudio Moon i-5
    Speakers
     Usher Be-718
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Just bear in mind that while you pay less for the Skoda up front, you'll get less for it when it's time to trade-in. The other marques would have retained quite a bit more of their value.

Real Name
     Graham
    Turn Table
     Basis signature 2200
    T/Arm & Cart
     Vector 4, Koetsu Red
    SUT/Phono
     Koetsu SUT,ARC PH5
    Digital Source 1
     ARC CD3 mk2
    Integrated Amp
     Pathos Logos
    Speakers
     Amphion Zenon
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Is there much difference between this and the Octavia ? have an Octavia estate arriving in a few weeks as new company car.

Super Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Resurrecting this as I am test driving a Superb tomorrow, looking forward to it.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    A friend bought one a few months back and it is remarkably nice.

He is a cabby & clocked up 300K miles on his previous Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI. Be interesting to see how his new one fairs after the miles.
    Yeah and how many dual mass flywheels, clutches, injectors and turbos will he have bought in that time? No modern diesel does much over 70k without massivo repair bills and taxis will fail long before that. Nothing against the Skoda, this applies to any brand but the days of old car doing starship mileages with mainly original parts are long gone.
    I don't like stuff that sucks.

Baron Von Hunchfront bandit pilot's Avatar
    Real Name
     Rick
    Turn Table
     401/Nott's
    T/Arm & Cart
     Hadcock/ Terminator
    SUT/Phono
     Graaf GM70/Edwards
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester 006
    Integrated Amp
     Gamma ref211
    Speakers
     Impulse H2
    Pre Amp
     Graaf GM13.5B
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Injector View Post
    Yeah and how many dual mass flywheels, clutches, injectors and turbos will he have bought in that time? No modern diesel does much over 70k without massivo repair bills and taxis will fail long before that. Nothing against the Skoda, this applies to any brand but the days of old car doing starship mileages with mainly original parts are long gone.
    Really?

I've never had a car with less than 70k on the clock, and most have done considerably more. Massivo repair bills?
    Slayer of Lizard Overlords!

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mr Feet
    Turn Table
     LP12
    Digital Source 1
     In the attic
    Digital Source 2
     Squeeze Touch
    DAC
     Rega
    Integrated Amp
     NAC52SupercapNAP135s
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    Pre Amp
     NAC 52
    Power Amp
     NAP135's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yeah, but haven't you owned a few Land Rover Discovery/Defender type vehicles?
    Putting my foot in it.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete the Feet View Post
    Yeah, but haven't you owned a few Land Rover Discovery/Defender type vehicles?
    I have indeed. When reading about cars that have travelled around the clock several times, people can falsely believe that the only work done to them has been oil changes, brake pads and the odd timing belt or clutch. In reality many of these modern diesel vehicles will have had umpteen thousand pounds spent on replacement parts. That goes for Land Rovers more than anything else!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bandit pilot View Post
    Really?

I've never had a car with less than 70k on the clock, and most have done considerably more. Massivo repair bills?
    Have these been modern turbo diesels with a DMF?

Wammer
    Real Name
     Mr Feet
    Turn Table
     LP12
    Digital Source 1
     In the attic
    Digital Source 2
     Squeeze Touch
    DAC
     Rega
    Integrated Amp
     NAC52SupercapNAP135s
    Speakers
     Harbeth SHL5
    Pre Amp
     NAC 52
    Power Amp
     NAP135's
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yeah, you're right about peoples exagerated conceptions og running costs. They usually conveniently forget most items like brake discs, clutches, timing belts, ECU, catalytic convertors, DPF and other minor! issues.

On the other hand that bloody petrol Vectra I just got shut of, I'll never forget the money that cost me. Much less than 70,000 miles also.
    Last edited by Pete the Feet; 18-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Putting my foot in it.

Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     Townshend Rock.
    T/Arm & Cart
     OL-Rega 300/Denon304
    SUT/Phono
     Hafler DH112
    Digital Source 1
     iMac.
    Digital Source 2
     Sony PS1 Modded alot
    DAC
     MHDT Havana-Sodmod
    Integrated Amp
     Kingrex usb
    Speakers
     Ocellia Calliope .21
    Pre Amp
     Hafler DH101/112 mod
    Power Amp
     Pass F3/Hafler 200md
    Headphones
     Wharfedale Isodynami
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Has anyone tried the current Citroen C5 variants yet?

If you could find a sub 100K mile Lexus LS400 Ser 4 though.....still wonderful.

I like the typo earlier about car being 'hansom', as in Hansom cab?
    One should be sparing with ones contempt because of the large number of those in need of it.
    Chateaubriand

Super Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Tried 2 petrol variants today, 1.8TSi manual & a 2.0TSi DSG.

Both of them would be worthy but the 1.8TSi was a saloon with a very clever tailgate/boot, the other was an estate, I'm torn between them at the moment so will need to have a think over the next few days.

On pure looks it would be the estate but the saloon boot trick was simply brilliant.

P/X was slightly less than others offered so will work on that to get a good deal hopefully.

I have found my new car it seems.

fnarr member
    Real Name
     Julian
    Digital Source 1
     Cambridge Audio NP30
    DAC
     A/S DAX Decade
    Integrated Amp
     Technics SU-X860
    Speakers
     Mission 700le.
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Injector,
    I've driven mainly TD's for the past 10 or more years, most have done 150+k by the time i've got shot of them. In all that time I've replaced 1 clutch and 1 turbo (although the notorious VW chocolate water pump did mean a new head gasket on one as well). Most issues have been fixed by proper maintenance of fluids and filters and a decent mechanic who knows what sensor can cause what issue.
    Petrols, diesels and hybrids/electricals are suited to different types of driving.
    Petrols for mainly b roads / medium distances.
    Diesels for mainly motorways / long distances.
    'leccys for mainly city / short journeys.

Buy something suited to your journey profile and it'll last the miles... horses for courses.
    From now on if my comment can be expressed in the form of a tired internet meme or picture.
    So it shall be done.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Injector,
    I've driven mainly TD's for the past 10 or more years, most have done 150+k by the time i've got shot of them. In all that time I've replaced 1 clutch and 1 turbo (although the notorious VW chocolate water pump did mean a new head gasket on one as well). Most issues have been fixed by proper maintenance of fluids and filters and a decent mechanic who knows what sensor can cause what issue.
    Petrols, diesels and hybrids/electricals are suited to different types of driving.
    Petrols for mainly b roads / medium distances.
    Diesels for mainly motorways / long distances.
    'leccys for mainly city / short journeys.

Buy something suited to your journey profile and it'll last the miles... horses for courses.
    Yeah Julian, I've had some high milers in my time but I'm talking specifically about very modern diesels. DMF, injectors and turbos - not to mention every sensor under the sun - seem to go well before you think they should. My dad has had the DMF go on TWO of his previous BMWs and they both had less than 30k on the clock. Sure it was handled under warranty but what about the next time? I've had a DMF go on a Ford and I've had a turbo go on a Peugeot. Of course if you buy new and keep for three years, then unless you're my dad you should be fine. I wouldn't entertain a used diesel over five years old or with more than 60k on the clock anymore when in the past they were a rock solid purchase. They could turn out to be an absolute moneypit. Petrol all the way if buying high milers.

Wammer
    Real Name
     JP
    Turn Table
     Garrard 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 2 Lyra Dorian
    SUT/Phono
     Art Vinyl 1 & SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    Digital Source 2
     Sony 555ESD
    DAC
     Kinshaw perception
    Integrated Amp
     KT88 PP & 845SE
    Speakers
     Apogee, ESL57 NS1000
    Pre Amp
     Morgan Audio S500
    Power Amp
     Leak st20 KSA50 LFD
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That was my first question to him, I was expecting it to be like trigger's broom. He had 1 clutch & dual mass flywheel changed. Original turbo and no non maintenance items! He had started driving it liek miss daisy for the last 50K miles until the Suberb arrived.

I caught up with him at the weekend, the Suburp (as he calls it as his mrs is Sue!) has just had to have a complete top end rebuild at a cost of around 2.5K after around 80K miles.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    A lot of it's luck of the draw, the type of driving you do and how well you drive. I can't help thinking that the odds are stacked against you/me/us with these newfangled bits'n'bobs they fit into cars nowadays though.

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    New facelift model is even purdier than the older one. And I liked the old model.

http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2013-s...-facelift-5-2/

Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Real Name
     Craig
    Turn Table
     Denon DP-55K
    T/Arm & Cart
     Rega R200/AT 420E
    Digital Source 1
     Sony CDP-337ESD
    Digital Source 2
     HTPC/Sony BDP-470
    DAC
     Sony DTC-60ES
    Integrated Amp
     Sony STR-VA555ES
    Speakers
     Yamaha NS-1000M
    Pre Amp
     Sony TA-E80ES
    Power Amp
     Yamaha P1600
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hmm.

This is tempting.
    Lounge: Sony STR-VA555ES, TA-N80ES, CDP-337ESD, BDP-470, TC-KA6ES, TC-K677ES, DTC-60ES, Denon DP-55K (Rega R200 & Ortofon OM-5E), Pro-Ject Debut Mk III, B&W CDM-1NT, LM1, MJ Acoustics Reference 100 MKII.

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    They're a bit big for what we need, otherwise I'd certainly consider one. Little brother, the Octavia Estate, is the best-selling estate in Swizzieland (a country renowned for its love of estates - 1 in every 3 cars, I think). The latest TCS (Swiss AA) report is full of praise for it - indeed, the only real contra thing was that it "lacks individuality".

http://www.tcs.ch/fr/test-securite/t...da-octavia.php

(Don't be horrified by the heading - break is only the French word for "estate" or "station wagon"!)

I'd imagine Big Brother would have the same qualities and then some.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Tony, on my second Octavia Estate. If you need any info on the model range, engine types and types of Octavia (VRS, Scout, 4x4 etc drop me a PM). The Swiss not only have a fine line in patent law and re-housing Irish gents but they have good taste in sensible cars.
    Linn LP12~Denon DVD-2900~Marantz PS17~Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII|Sony BDP-S760~Sony MDS-JB930QS~Sony SDP-EP90ES~Sony TA-N55ES~Wharfedale 306|Sony CDP-X3000ES~Sony ST-S3000ES~Sony TA-VA777ES~Diapason Emera

Real Name
     Tony
    Turn Table
     Linn LP12/Armageddon
    T/Arm & Cart
     Ekos/Klyde
    SUT/Phono
     Creek
    Digital Source 1
     Meridian 588
    Digital Source 2
     Sony Universal
    Speakers
     Quad ESL-57, LS3/5a
    Pre Amp
     EAR834, Quad 44
    Power Amp
     Quad II, Quad 606
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by cjr View Post
    Tony, on my second Octavia Estate. If you need any info on the model range, engine types and types of Octavia (VRS, Scout, 4x4 etc drop me a PM). The Swiss not only have a fine line in patent law and re-housing Irish gents but they have good taste in sensible cars.
    Thanks, Colin, but I have to contend with SWMBO, who wants something small, yet which she can fill up with cheap German potting mix for the garden. In short, she wants the Tardis with wheels. I, of course, as the man of the house, have the last word on these discussions ("Yes, dear"), so I may need something smaller than the Octavia - this is where the Yeti comes in.
    The man with the golden ear trumpet