Pre Amp
     EC4.8
    Power Amp
     EC AW180
    Headphones
     HD600
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Query: can passive bi-amping cause damage if done incorrectly?

I understand the view that passive bi-amping is a waste of time. However, over the last 3 years I've replaced all the components of my stereo system except my power amp (Quad 909). Indeed, I tried a Classe CA2200 in my system at home a while ago and actually prefer the sound of the Quad!

I now have a range of perfectly good components sitting unused in a spare room and have just bought a second hand 909 from Audio Emotion at a fantastic price. The plan is to use it in a second system. However, it will also be fun, if ultimately a waste of time, to try bi-amping with the 909.

My query is this: is there any risk that the two 909s might be inadvertently damaged by sharing outputs from the preamp? Here are the details: my preamp (Music First Classic) has two sets of outputs, call them A and B. The signal out from right channel A is simply wired with a one inch length of wire to signal out right channel B, and the same is true of left channel A and B. Using these two sets of outputs to bi-amp is effectively like using a Y-splitter. So, if I bi-amp by using one 909 to feed the woofers on both speakers and the other 909 to feed the midrange/tweeters, aren't the right channel inputs on both 909s connected at the preamp? Likewise, if I bi-amped by using one 909 per speaker and took preamp right channel from output A to one input on the 909 and took preamp right channel output B to the other input on the same 909 (and then used one set of poweramp speaker connectors to connect to the midrange/tweeters and the other to the woofers of the same speaker), aren't I effectively connecting the right and left channel inputs on the poweramp at the preamp end?

It might be that these problems are non-existent, but I'd thought I'd check before potentially causing any damage. I've checked with Music First who state there is no issue with impedance when using their preamp for biamping, and Quad stated the obvious, i.e., remove the connectors between the two sets of terminals on each speaker!

Many thanks for any help.

The Wiz
    Last edited by wizons; 11-04-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Real Name
     Kevin
    Turn Table
     Kuzma Stabi S
    T/Arm & Cart
     Stogi, AN Io
    SUT/Phono
     Audio Note S6c
    Digital Source 1
     Rega Saturn
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Rega
    Speakers
     LV OBX-R2
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M3
    Power Amp
     CocoSan 300B PP Mono
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Of course they are sharing outputs. They couldn't be doing anything else.
    "We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap" Kurt Vonnegut

Super Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Sony xa5400es SACD
    DAC
     Auralic Vega
    Speakers
     SF Cremona/REL Storm
    Pre Amp
     EC4.8
    Power Amp
     EC AW180
    Headphones
     HD600
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Of course they are sharing outputs. They couldn't be doing anything else.
    Tel - I've edited the message since your speedy reply. Of course the preamp outputs are shared, but I have no idea if this a problem?

Thanks

Real Name
     Mr Pink-and-Yellow
    Turn Table
     Palmer 3.0
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 3/II & Io1
    SUT/Phono
     Kondo KSL-SFz
    Digital Source 1
     dCS P8i
    Digital Source 2
     SB3
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1x/II Bal.
    Speakers
     Tannoy Kensington SE
    Pre Amp
     Audio Note M5 Phono
    Power Amp
     Air Tight ATM-1
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    You have to split the signal somewhere unless you are going for two preamps and two CD players, which could get messy!

The preamp is where it is usually done in a bi-amped setup - and yes, it is exactly like using a Y-cable between the pre and the two powers. They all work like this; you won't damage anything.

Real Name
     Stewart
    Turn Table
     NOT AT THE MOMENT!
    Digital Source 1
     Yes I have one
    Integrated Amp
     DenonAVPA1/Crown
    Speakers
     IAS, horns, modified
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    "is there any risk that the two 909s might be inadvertently damaged by sharing outputs from the preamp?"
    Simple answer..................................NO!
    I am just a soul boy at heart.

Super Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Sony xa5400es SACD
    DAC
     Auralic Vega
    Speakers
     SF Cremona/REL Storm
    Pre Amp
     EC4.8
    Power Amp
     EC AW180
    Headphones
     HD600
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartwen View Post
    "is there any risk that the two 909s might be inadvertently damaged by sharing outputs from the preamp?"
    Simple answer..................................NO!
    Excellent!!

Real Name
     Aardvark
    Turn Table
     in
    Digital Source 1
     a box
    Integrated Amp
     in
    Speakers
     someone's
    Power Amp
     loft
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I know passive biamping is generally regarded as a waste of time, But when I used it, it worked a treat, This is why.

I wanted to drive the Apogee speakers I used back then (Stages ) with a valve amplifier but I didn't have one powerful enough to do the job properly, so I used a Perreaux solid state amp on the current hungry bass panels and a modest 35 watt valve amp on the mid / tweeter ribbon ,
    it was bit of a faff but I enjoyed this set up for a couple of years and was better than
    using the Perreaux on it's own.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."

Super Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Sony xa5400es SACD
    DAC
     Auralic Vega
    Speakers
     SF Cremona/REL Storm
    Pre Amp
     EC4.8
    Power Amp
     EC AW180
    Headphones
     HD600
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokes View Post
    I know passive biamping is generally regarded as a waste of time, But when I used it, it worked a treat, This is why.

I wanted to drive the Apogee speakers I used back then (Stages ) with a valve amplifier but I didn't have one powerful enough to do the job properly, so I used a Perreaux solid state amp on the current hungry bass panels and a modest 35 watt valve amp on the mid / tweeter ribbon ,
    it was bit of a faff but I enjoyed this set up for a couple of years and was better than
    using the Perreaux on it's own.
    Yes I've read about this approach. How did you balance the respective volume levels of each power amp? Doesn't an even balance between woofers and tweeters require power amps of exactly the same gain?

The Wiz

Real Name
     Aardvark
    Turn Table
     in
    Digital Source 1
     a box
    Integrated Amp
     in
    Speakers
     someone's
    Power Amp
     loft
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The valve amp was an integrated and was slightly more sensitive than the Perreaux, so all I had to do was back off the volume a little on the valve amp and all was well, like I say it was far from ideal, hence the big monster amps I have now, but however unlikely, it made a very nice noise.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."