Pre Amp
     Lexicon MC12/Eva
    Power Amp
     Leak st20
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

yamaha ns1000m rewire

Hi, i rewired mine a couple of years ago with chord carnival for the mids & treble and a thick copper cable for the bass but now ive decided to bypass the l pads as im using a luxman integraded which has tone controls, so i might try different cable, i recently bought some copper arrow ofc cable that everybody was raving about which is pretty good and only 3 quid a metre, or i could track down some pure silver and try that, what u guys think.

Cheers Marty..

Real Name
     Matt
    Digital Source 1
     Modified CA Dacmagic
    Integrated Amp
     Modified Onix OA21
    Speakers
     DIY
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I guess it depends on if you like the sound of silver cable or not. I don't personally like it, and all the silver cable I have tried did something weird to the treble (but I haven't tried them all)

BTW i'm using the Arrow cable in some speakers i'm building.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Marty.
    Turn Table
     Modded technics 1210
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos
    DAC
     Beresford
    Speakers
     Modded ns1000m
    Pre Amp
     Lexicon MC12/Eva
    Power Amp
     Leak st20
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yea the arrow was my first choice as theres silver in them already, im also using it from the amp to speaker so it should be a no brainer, but had to check, let me know how your speakers turn out.

Cheers Marty.

Super Dooper Wammer
    Real Name
     JP
    Turn Table
     Garrard 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm 2 Lyra Dorian
    SUT/Phono
     Art Vinyl 1 & SUT
    Digital Source 1
     Squeezebox Touch
    Digital Source 2
     Sony 555ESD
    DAC
     Kinshaw perception
    Integrated Amp
     KT88 PP & 845SE
    Speakers
     Apogee, ESL57 NS1000
    Pre Amp
     Morgan Audio S500
    Power Amp
     Leak st20 KSA50 LFD
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I found the arrow cable poorly built and the insulation easily melted when I soldered the connections. I am ham fisted but the other ptfe silver cables I ended up using were fine. Trying to separate out a single run from the biwire cable was a pita.

I settled on multi runs of plaited 0.6/25 silver plated copper from farnel. 2 runs for treble,3 for mid and 4 for bass. It worked for me :-)

Wammer
    Real Name
     Marty.
    Turn Table
     Modded technics 1210
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos
    DAC
     Beresford
    Speakers
     Modded ns1000m
    Pre Amp
     Lexicon MC12/Eva
    Power Amp
     Leak st20
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    hmmmm good to know, i have a pair of 1m red dawn & 1m 16 guage copper xlo from my monoblock days, both really expensive cables, was thinking xlo for the bass red dawn for the mids & treble, would need some more red dawn though, i cant remember how much cable i used for the rewire, anyone know how much cable it would take to do the treble & mids while bypassing the l pads.

Cheers Marty.

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I don't know if this is going to be of any help whatsoever, but I bought my Yams a few months back and they have supposedly been rewired with Cardas cable (I haven't opened them up to check) and the L-pads have definitely been bypassed. They have also had some better binding posts fitted. All I can say is that they sound glorious on the front of my system. None of the brightness that is sometimes levelled at these speakers, fantastic mids and top end, tight and tuneful bass and lovely imaging, including depth. Regarding solid silver cabling, I used this to rewire a pair of Spendor Sp1s and they sound excellent. If silver was unsuitable for rewiring speakers, then how come Audionote speakers are so well reviewed and loved? Saying that, whether it's worth the expense of silver over the use of OCFC copper, I could not say without hearing comparisons side-by-side. I believe that 16 or 14AWG cable is best for the Bass (due to high current requirements), but not sure of requirements for the mid and tweeter, but if my experience of speaker cables is anything to go by, I found thinner, single core gave clearer, purer treble, not sure what's best for the mids though.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Marty.
    Turn Table
     Modded technics 1210
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos
    DAC
     Beresford
    Speakers
     Modded ns1000m
    Pre Amp
     Lexicon MC12/Eva
    Power Amp
     Leak st20
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Cheer Gizza, yea i read about your purchase not that long ago it was one the things that got me thinking about another rewire, but cardas cable is pretty expensive and im sure yours sound great, i might go with the xlo then for the bass, still undecided for the treble & mids, i would like to use the same cable from amp to speaker and nordost aint cheap, ill give it a bit longer before i decide, getting closer though.

Marty.

Turn Table
     SME20/2
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME iv Lyra Dorian
    SUT/Phono
     World Designs phono3
    Speakers
     Yamaha NS1000m
    Pre Amp
     World Designs pre3
    Power Amp
     Glasshouse 300bsep
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I rewired the insides of my yammies using single runs of 0.5mm silver in ptfe tubing, and use the same wire (in a slightly different configuration) for making up my interconnects and external speaker wire.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...638#post841638
    "My god, it's full of arse"

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Perhaps it's worth seeing what gauge Yamaha have used to wire the speaker units. You can then replace them with same gauge but either better quality copper or solid silver OR silver coated copper, which is better than straight copper, but not as expensive as silver.Apart from silver being a better conductor, it still conducts equally as well when it oxidises, unlike copper. I hear what you say about using the same cable as your external speaker cable, but do wonder whether the expense of red dawn would be worth it. I wonder if Serge, one of the wammers on here, would be able to advise? He's had loads of experience in the studio and is very clued up on electrical measurements etc. He tends to be scientific rather than believing all the hype, so might be worth asking him?

Quote Originally Posted by martinoslice View Post
    Cheer Gizza, yea i read about your purchase not that long ago it was one the things that got me thinking about another rewire, but cardas cable is pretty expensive and im sure yours sound great, i might go with the xlo then for the bass, still undecided for the treble & mids, i would like to use the same cable from amp to speaker and nordost aint cheap, ill give it a bit longer before i decide, getting closer though.

Marty.

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Did you only use one single run to the woofer? I'd have thought that it would need 2 or more to supply the higher current needed for bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Dik Dolan View Post
    I rewired the insides of my yammies using single runs of 0.5mm silver in ptfe tubing, and use the same wire (in a slightly different configuration) for making up my interconnects and external speaker wire.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...638#post841638

Turn Table
     SME20/2
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME iv Lyra Dorian
    SUT/Phono
     World Designs phono3
    Speakers
     Yamaha NS1000m
    Pre Amp
     World Designs pre3
    Power Amp
     Glasshouse 300bsep
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Yup, one single wire to the + and one to the -
    I only listen at lowish volumes and my amp is a 300b SET @ about 10 watts so I didn't have to worry about welding level currents=)

I started a thread asking about that, here
    "My god, it's full of arse"

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I'd love to hear them rewired totally with VDh carbon cables, but I don't think it would be possible as it has to be crimped since it can't be soldered. I use their first ultimates for my interconnects and Revelation speaker cables and get superb results. The only downside with the firsts is they have a high resistance, including the shield, which results in ground hum. I got round this by running some lengths of wire taken out of an ethernet cable, externally from one RCA to the other, to provide better grounding. They really get out of the way of the signal, giving great dynamics, a great depth of soundstage and more natural sounds than anything else I've tried. The next best to these were thin solid silver, of which I've tried Audio Synthesis silver blue round 0.6mm solid silver single core in teflon and flat silver foil in oversized PTFE tubing, both of which were very, very good, but not as good as the carbons. I've also experimented with coaxial digital interconnects, trying VDH silver-over copper 75Ohm pro triax, Audio synthesis 75ohm silver blue silver-over copper triax and also tried the First ultimate as digital, since VDh reckon it works despite not being 75ohm. I found that true 75ohm is best, and the single solid core of the Audio Synthesis gives better resolution than the multicore VDH. It's taken me ages to determine which cables were best, choosing one and then later changing my mind, but rather than listening for better treble, better bass, etc. I have learnt to listen for which brings me closer to the sound of live music, real instruments etc. which I have only been able to do by hearing unamplified instruments such as Saxaphone, trumpet, drums, double bass etc. live in a small venue. It amazed me just how dynamic drums really are, how smooth cymbals are and how real instruments are not bright sounding. We sometimes get carried away looking for detail from our hifi and get this sometimes by choosing components that highlight the treble and mids, but in reality, we're introducing colouration to achieve this, which is not reproducing the recording as it would have sounded in the studio. A weird business, this
    hi-fi lark!

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Ah, that probably makes sense then, I guess the cones don't need much current to produce the volume. I'll look at the thread you mentioned.

I only listen at lowish volumes and my amp is a 300b SET @ about 10 watts so I didn't have to worry about welding level currents=)

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Very interesting thread, that one, and well worth a read, Marty. I see Serge put in his two-penny worth, bless his cotton socks. It's good to get an objective view of things though, I find. I was glad to see that you were very pleased with the results of the silver cable too. I must admit, I do prefer it to straight copper, in all scenarios. However, as I said earlier, I really like the qualities of carbon. I'm not sure whether it's due to the material itself or the crystal structure, all I know is that I love the resulting sound, in my system anyhow.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Marty.
    Turn Table
     Modded technics 1210
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos
    DAC
     Beresford
    Speakers
     Modded ns1000m
    Pre Amp
     Lexicon MC12/Eva
    Power Amp
     Leak st20
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Would love to try something like carbon if it were possible, the link was interesting but im still undecided, im now tempted to use solid silver maybe the same gauge as the original yamaha cable.....

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Hiya, yes, if I was thinking of rewiring them, i think I'd use silver of the same gauge too. I've always been pleased with silver. Audio synthesis sell Teflon coated silver wire of 2 different gauges. The only downside with the thicker silver wire e.g. 1mm dia. is that it keeps coming unsoldered- I know, as I tried using Ecosse large dia ocfc copper solid core in my Spendor Sp1's and it often came unsoldered. Better to use multiple lengths of finer gauge (unless there's some way of securing the cable to stop it waving about inside when a speaker is moved, I guess that might work).

Would love to try something like carbon if it were possible, the link was interesting but im still undecided, im now tempted to use solid silver maybe the same gauge as the original yamaha cable.....

Making badgers restless hearingisbelieving's Avatar
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     N/A
    Digital Source 1
     Micromega Duo CD3
    Digital Source 2
     Arcam DV137
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1X SIG
    Integrated Amp
     Audio Not So Oto Se
    Speakers
     T+A Spectrum ADL III
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    FWIW I have also rewired my speakers with 0.5mm solid silver wire. I used single runs for all three drivers and have no end of bass on hand. I also used the solid silver wire to hard wire the crossover components when I rebuilt the crossovers. Detail is through the roof!
    Dig Src 1 Arcam DV135, DAC Audio Note DAC 2.1X Sig, Amp Audio Not So Oto SE(modded), Speakers T+A Spectrum ADL III (modded), Headphone Amp Creek OBH21SE (modded), Cans Grado RS2, Stands: Partington Heavi MkI, Soundstyle ST100

Wammer
    Real Name
     Marty.
    Turn Table
     Modded technics 1210
    Digital Source 1
     Sonos
    DAC
     Beresford
    Speakers
     Modded ns1000m
    Pre Amp
     Lexicon MC12/Eva
    Power Amp
     Leak st20
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Spyed this on ebay, Item num, 270653985149. Anyone familar.

Real Name
     Gary
    Turn Table
     Techics SL-J11
    SUT/Phono
     Angle Audio MM
    Digital Source 1
     AS-modded Pio 757i
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 200T. SBT.
    DAC
     AS Dax Discrete Vari
    Speakers
     ESL63/Gradients/Rels
    Pre Amp
     AS Passion passive
    Power Amp
     EAR 509 x 4 monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Not familiar I'm afraid, but there are countless of people selling silver wire in plastic tubing. Oversize tubing is meant to be good in one sense as it's a good dialectric- in tight sheathing, the electrical signal is reflected between the wire and the sheathing pixels of times per second, made worse by certain types of material used for the sheathing. This causes smearing of the sound. The only silver cable I have ever used for wiring is Audio Synthesis, which is tightly sheathed in Teflon coating- again, quite commonly used, and doesn't melt when heat is applied. Last price I paid for it though was 6 per single wire metre, but I know and trust David Heaton and his fussiness for only buying good quality, well-manufactured wire. So that would cost 24.00 per metre and would have to be braided by yourself. I guess it's your call really. The eBay stuff is cheaper but couldn't say if it's manufactured to such tight tolerances when drawn out to make the wire. David also sells 1mm wire, obviously more expensive. The wire he sells is what he wires his superb products with. If I was in your shoes, I'd pay the extra for his wire. Might not be a difference in results, then again their might, but I'd have the peace of mind of knowing I'd used the best possible.

Spyed this on ebay, Item num, 270653985149. Anyone familar.

Making badgers restless hearingisbelieving's Avatar
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     N/A
    Digital Source 1
     Micromega Duo CD3
    Digital Source 2
     Arcam DV137
    DAC
     AN DAC 2.1X SIG
    Integrated Amp
     Audio Not So Oto Se
    Speakers
     T+A Spectrum ADL III
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    again not familiar but this website is worth checking out for 99.99% solid silver wire at VERY reasonable prices. You can get it unsheathed or silk covered in various lengths and thickness's:
    http://wires.co.uk/acatalog/silk_covered_silver.html
    Dig Src 1 Arcam DV135, DAC Audio Note DAC 2.1X Sig, Amp Audio Not So Oto SE(modded), Speakers T+A Spectrum ADL III (modded), Headphone Amp Creek OBH21SE (modded), Cans Grado RS2, Stands: Partington Heavi MkI, Soundstyle ST100