Audio Emotion  Epiphany Acoustics 
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
     Jan 2011
    Posts
     40
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

    speaker hum from CD Transport/Phono pre amp proximity

    Hi
    Looking for some help getting rid of some hum. Offending component would seem to be my Audiolab 8000 transport, which when on induces speaker hum through my Dino pre amp which is sitting directly on the transport. The Transport is on the lower shelf of a wall mounted Target twin shelf turnable bracket.

    I like to keep the DINO on, but when playing the CD I get this hum.

    I have put a granite chopping board in between the 2 and this seems to have reduced it. Any ideas as to what else I can do, apart from fix another shelf for the DINO far enough away so as to lose the hum?

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
     Oct 2010
    Posts
     2,598
    Location
     Essexshire
    Digital Source 1
     Wadia
    Digital Source 2
     S.B Plus
    DAC
     Audio Synthesis
    Speakers
     Proac/Bk Electronics
    Pre Amp
     Audio Synthesis
    Power Amp
     Beard P100
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Hi
    Looking for some help getting rid of some hum. Offending component would seem to be my Audiolab 8000 transport, which when on induces speaker hum through my Dino pre amp which is sitting directly on the transport. The Transport is on the lower shelf of a wall mounted Target twin shelf turnable bracket.

    I like to keep the DINO on, but when playing the CD I get this hum.

    I have put a granite chopping board in between the 2 and this seems to have reduced it. Any ideas as to what else I can do, apart from fix another shelf for the DINO far enough away so as to lose the hum?

    thanks in advance
    are they BOTH earthed at the plug end ?

    i had the same thing once, i ended up removing one of the 2 earths from the plugs, even tho its not ideal, it did fix it for me.

    Sup to you though....

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
     Jan 2011
    Posts
     40
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I've just put in a new shelf and put a bit of distance between them

  4. #4
    WYLD STALLYNS JPG's Avatar
    Join Date
     Jan 2007
    Posts
     3,186
    Location
     Bristol
    Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     JVC QL-Y5F
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT95E
    Digital Source 1
     Technics SL-PG590
    Digital Source 2
     Behringer UCA-202
    Integrated Amp
     Leak Delta 30
    Speakers
     KEF Celeste IV
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice_Coil View Post
    i had the same thing once, i ended up removing one of the 2 earths from the plugs, even tho its not ideal, it did fix it for me.
    DO NOT DO THIS

    More to the point, don't tell anyone else to do it. It's horrendously unsafe, and against the AUP on this site.

    [EDIT] Link to the AUP. The relevant section is already highlighted in red:

    http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...e-Usage-Policy [/EDIT]

    BY FAR the safer option is to break the earth in one of the interconnects at the 'load' end. OK, so in theory you might suffer from a touch more RFI - the earth path being both longer and separated from the signal path - but it'll kill the ground loop hum stone dead without any danger of killing you or your family stone dead. I've had to do this with my PC soundcard's connection to my amp.

    Anyway. In response to the original post, it rather sounds as though the noise pickup is caused by the leakage flux from the transformer in the transport coupling into the sensitive input stage of the Dino. It's not an earth loop - moving them relative to each other wouldn't affect an earth loop hum. The only real solution - as you found - is to separate the items, although a grounded alloy sheet between the two might help a little.
    Last edited by JPG; 29-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
     Oct 2010
    Posts
     2,598
    Location
     Essexshire
    Digital Source 1
     Wadia
    Digital Source 2
     S.B Plus
    DAC
     Audio Synthesis
    Speakers
     Proac/Bk Electronics
    Pre Amp
     Audio Synthesis
    Power Amp
     Beard P100
    Headphones
     
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    I've just put in a new shelf and put a bit of distance between them
    as long as you sorted it fella, ignore my previous post !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •