Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Apologies if you have already seen this one, but thought I would let you guys know.

The Auction for my Isotek Substation ended this morning with a winning bidder, I have sent him an invoice so all looks well.This was the problem:

The guy who came second place, pipped to the post if you will was sent this email (so say) from Ebay after the auction ended:

From: ContactMember@<a href="http://www.eb...bay.com.my</a> [mailto:ContactMember@http://www.ebay.com.my]
    Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 1:34 PM
    To: Joe Bloggs
    Subject: Message from eBay Member amused67

[size=]
    [size="3"][size=Marketplace Safety Tips[/b]
    Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://www.ebay.com.my/helpTSForm.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram - such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

[size=]

Dear

Dear eBay member, You expressed interest earlier by bidding on the eBay item Isotek Substation mains filter. Almost New! - Item No. 5789742035. However, the auction has ended with another eBay member as the winner. In compliance with eBay terms, the seller is offering this Second Chance Offer to you because the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or because there are duplicate items available. Do NOT reply directly at this email as you will not receive a response. Please contact the seller directly at *********@aol.com. If you accept this offer you will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction such as fraud protection. To learn more about this Second Chance Offer or to purchase this item please contact the seller at ******************.com. Thank you.

[align=center] [align=center]Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.
    [/align][/align]
    [align=center][/align] This eBay notice was sent to based on your eBay account preferences. To unsubscribe from this eBay notice, click here.
    As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
    [align=center]Copyright 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    [/align] [align=center]eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.[/align]

The only things I have edited are the recipients name and the contact email address which was NOT mine, he returned the mail and it went to this email ad first then to me.
    I am not too concerned about this as it looks like it will not affect me. Would like to know how they got hold of my email ad. though

I have not clicked on the respond button.

SCM

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

If anyone can shed any more light on this form of fraud that would be great.

Thanks SCM

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Have you forwarded it to Ebay. The fraudster has given their email address so may be traceable.

Definately wind up able.

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Cheers J. will do it now.

Real Name
     Feather
    Turn Table
     Avid Acutus
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V / Airtight PC1
    SUT/Phono
     Whest PS30 R
    Digital Source 1
     SB Touch
    DAC
     Micromega Mydac
    Speakers
     Kharma Ce 2.3
    Pre Amp
     ModWright LS36.5
    Power Amp
     Plinius SA103
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Yep SC happened to me a couple of times and i remember Woody also saying he got one of these. Fraudulent .
    First pressings son !

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Had to edit those emails as anything sent there might come to me.

Post imported post

This is a shame as it seems to be happening more and more often. As I understand it the fraudster appears to the losing bidder as ebay who then direct him to another email address (supposed to be yours) which they have set up and then take hime to the cleaners? This is very bad I just hope some poor bugger don't get caught!

Dave

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

That's spot on D-G31, the guy who lost out on the item nearly fell for it too, it's only because of the numerous emails previously that he waited to hear from me before he took the plunge.Luckily he didn't.

Cloffo I, King of Scots Cloth-Ears's Avatar
    Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Are you sure there is fraud going on here?

As regards getting your e-mail, you choose in your settings whether to hide or reveal your e-mail address to other ebay users. Even if it was hidden, if I understand this right the message came from Ebay, right? Ebay know the address but won't disclose it to the seller unless you want it to be. So did they not message you on behalf of the seller, who does not know your address?

There might very well have been more than one available or a problem with the winning bidder's transactiion. It IS in the second place bidder's interests to be contacted if a second chance arises.

Now, has anyone contacted Ebay to ask about this?

I would hate to think all post closure contact gets a reputation for being dodgy. For example, after an auction ends with no bids or under reserve I have sometimes asked later, via the Ebay messaging system what the seller intends to do next or to contact me to make a deal now that the auction is over.

Do find out from Ebay if these second chance scenarios are not actually legitimate.
    World's greatest hessian sack escapologist.

Founding Wammer
    Real Name
     Chris
    Turn Table
     PS Audio Digilink3
    Digital Source 1
     Camb. Audio 650BD
    Integrated Amp
     Leema Tucana
    Speakers
     Leema Xero
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Hi Cloth-Ears,
    the email came from Malaysia, which in itself is suspicious and Ebay did not contact me regarding any second chance offer, it's only the sellar that can instigate a second chance offer.

Cheers SCM

Real Name
     James
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid 111
    T/Arm & Cart
     Audio Note / Benz
    SUT/Phono
     Puresound T10/P10
    Digital Source 1
     Leema - Antilla
    Digital Source 2
     SONOS connect
    DAC
     Leema Elements
    Speakers
     Living Voice OBX R2
    Pre Amp
     Modwright SWL 9.0SE
    Power Amp
     Advantage S100
    Headphones
     Bowers & Wilkins P7
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Cloth-Ears wrote:
    Are you sure there is fraud going on here?

As regards getting your e-mail, you choose in your settings whether to hide or reveal your e-mail address to other ebay users. Even if it was hidden, if I understand this right the message came from Ebay, right? Ebay know the address but won't disclose it to the seller unless you want it to be. So did they not message you on behalf of the seller, who does not know your address?

There might very well have been more than one available or a problem with the winning bidder's transactiion. It IS in the second place bidder's interests to be contacted if a second chance arises.

Now, has anyone contacted Ebay to ask about this?

I would hate to think all post closure contact gets a reputation for being dodgy. For example, after an auction ends with no bids or under reserve I have sometimes asked later, via the Ebay messaging system what the seller intends to do next or to contact me to make a deal now that the auction is over.

Do find out from Ebay if these second chance scenarios are not actually legitimate.

It is up to the Seller to decide to make a second chance offer. As SuperCaPMan made no such offer, the email is fraudulent.

Yoou can see from the bid history who made the second highest bid. Email them and wait for the payment for goods you never had.

Very nasty rip off this one.

James.

Cloffo I, King of Scots Cloth-Ears's Avatar
    Turn Table
     Steepletone 3 Speed
    Digital Source 1
     Bush CD/Cassette
    Speakers
     Vox Olympian/Elysian
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M1000
    Power Amp
     Kondo Kagura
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Ah, I assumed a standing instruction from the seller to post out the invitation. Crafty buggers. I'll watch out for that, thanks.
    World's greatest hessian sack escapologist.