Pre Amp
     ML 326S
    Power Amp
     ML 432
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

CD drives for burning audio disks

I remember a Yamaha drive that burned the audio onto a CD in such a way, that if the audio was 500MB, that the drive spread it out over the 700MB available for the disk. I think it recorded at a constant speed, rather than the increasing speed, as normal, maybe the CRW-F1. They are no longer available, so what is the best CD drive for burning audio disks?
    I am sure someone knows of the modern equivalent to the Yamaha.
    Also, as both a friend and I must be thick, as neither of us can get EAC working properly, even after reading a couple of the setup guides, if someone has an idiots guide they would like to provide, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nothing is ever so bad, it can't get worse.

Real Name
     Mark
    Turn Table
     Acoustic Solid Wood
    T/Arm & Cart
     AN Arm III/Io Gold
    SUT/Phono
     Allnic H1500
    Digital Source 1
     Modwright TP
    Speakers
     Avantgarde Uno Nano
    Pre Amp
     Kondo M7
    Power Amp
     LV Argento
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I don't see the point of spreading it across the disc. It doesn't even sound like Red Book standard.
    Kondo mafia
    http://www.last.fm/user/browellm

<----------Report this post here

Real Name
     Eddie
    Digital Source 1
     Musical Fidelity A5
    DAC
     Beresford Caiman
    Integrated Amp
     AVI LSI
    Speakers
     Spendor S5e
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    What difference does it make whether it's spread on the entire surface or not? I've burnt audio CDs on regular computer grade CD writers ever since they became available and never had any problem with it. So far I have not encountered a CD player that will not play them.

What problems did you have with EAC? I found it quite intuitive. The early versions required a bit of work to calibrate the CD reader/writer, but nowadays it's straightforward, it does it's own calibrating and then you pop in the CD and chose the sort of rip you want. What did not work for you?

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Just use any dvd burner drive you can pick up for 10-20 or so, pioneer, sony, asus - some are even the same ones just re-badged and you can fiddle the firmwares on 'em. The yamaha iirc burnt wider pits/lands, a totally useless 'audio master' feature as far as I can tell, very much a USP thing, 'constant speed' probably refers to 'constant angular velocity' (the disc spins at one speed) or perhaps constant linear velocity (the same amount of disc surface passes over the lens regardless of the position being read/written). I think. You can happily burn discs at full throttle, super low burning speeds are a throwback to the old days where more often than not the CD could burn wrong because all the computers were crap, hence plextor CD burners (and that yammyhar one) with 8MB caches and that, now drives have 1 or 2MB and I've not made a single coaster (dead CD/DVD good only for putting cups of tea on) for years.

Likewise all the CD players i've used have accepted my burnt CDs, CDRW is another matter though and apparently much less friendly.

EAC is quite simple to use yes, but it does have extensive options to fiddle with, what are you getting stuck on exactly?

Real Name
     Charlie
    Turn Table
     BLACK LP12-Pro-Ject
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CD5i-CD7300
    Integrated Amp
     Naim5i-PM7200
    Speakers
     CV V15F-Kans
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I agree that everything I have tried is fine, though as intimated above, e.g. some CDRWs are not 'liked' by e.g. some Naim CDPs.
    'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind' (or pocket)...

Real Name
     Nick
    Turn Table
     Orbe, Gyro, Hydr Ref
    T/Arm & Cart
     OL1 GR 2500 AN AQ2
    SUT/Phono
     Trichord Dino Mk2
    Digital Source 1
     Micromega Stage 6
    Digital Source 2
     Naim Uniti2
    Speakers
     Magnepan MG12, AE1s
    Pre Amp
     MusicalFidelity A3CR
    Power Amp
     MFA3CR WAD K5881
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by catcando View Post
    I remember a Yamaha drive that burned the audio onto a CD in such a way, that if the audio was 500MB, that the drive spread it out over the 700MB available for the disk. I think it recorded at a constant speed, rather than the increasing speed, as normal, maybe the CRW-F1. They are no longer available, so what is the best CD drive for burning audio disks?
    I am sure someone knows of the modern equivalent to the Yamaha.
    Also, as both a friend and I must be thick, as neither of us can get EAC working properly, even after reading a couple of the setup guides, if someone has an idiots guide they would like to provide, it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    The Yamaha's were very good at overburning and making non Red Book standard CDs that were longer than 70 minutes of Audio. A lot of people used to copy protected CDs that had systems based on dodgy tracks that a normal writer could not burn.