Integrated Amp
     looking for
    Speakers
     kevlar/tioxid Focals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

QUAD 909 power amp

Gents,

I've no idea of the sound new Quads produce and moreover have read some unfavourable reviews in the net. I can buy it brand new for about 550-600 quid with 2 years guarantee and would like to partner it with a tube pre. I can not listen to that before courier comes to me. What is your opinion on the 909?

Real Name
     Stuart
    Digital Source 1
     Laptop
    DAC
     Looking...
    Speakers
     B&W 802D
    Pre Amp
     Looking...
    Power Amp
     Mark Levinson 433
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I haven't heard one,but they seem to get very good reviews.Obviously,it would be better if you could hear it first,ideally with your own system.But,if not,it will fetch a good price secondhand if you decide it's not to your taste.What are you partnering it with?

Super Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Sony xa5400es SACD
    DAC
     Auralic Vega
    Speakers
     SF Cremona/REL Storm
    Pre Amp
     EC4.8
    Power Amp
     EC AW180
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by huzy View Post
    Gents,

I've no idea of the sound new Quads produce and moreover have read some unfavourable reviews in the net. I can buy it brand new for about 550-600 quid with 2 years guarantee and would like to partner it with a tube pre. I can not listen to that before courier comes to me. What is your opinion on the 909?
    Fantastic kit. Go for it. I have power hungry speakers and am in the middle of trying a Classe ca2200 and Electrocompaniet AW250R. Of course both these amps produce deeper bass, but the Quad runs them a very close second in terms of tonal quality. In fact, it seems to me to have a slightly more spacious sound and a warmer midrange (Quad are known for great quality midrange frequencies).

The only reason I'm changing power amp is because I need more power to drive my speakers (which does make a difference with deep and controlled bass). If you don't need this, go for the 909.

Wammer
    Real Name
     go on
    Turn Table
     go on
    T/Arm & Cart
     go on
    SUT/Phono
     go on
    Digital Source 1
     go on
    Digital Source 2
     go on
    DAC
     go on
    Integrated Amp
     go on
    Speakers
     go on
    Pre Amp
     go on
    Power Amp
     GO ON!!
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Go for it, that's an amazing price for a new current-production unit. In the unlikely event that you don't like it, you could move it on for no loss.

I've had one and loved it.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Jerry
    Digital Source 1
     Ayon CD2
    Integrated Amp
     Chapter Precis
    Speakers
     Ref 3a Dulcet
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    [QUOTE

I've had one and loved it.[/QUOTE]

Me too!
    I keep hoping for a better day, It;'s a long time comin' but I wait anyway.............
    (Rufus Wainwright 2nd)

Super Wammer
    Digital Source 1
     Sony xa5400es SACD
    DAC
     Auralic Vega
    Speakers
     SF Cremona/REL Storm
    Pre Amp
     EC4.8
    Power Amp
     EC AW180
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Gents,

Be careful in partnering the 909 with a tube preamp. It has relatively low input impedance, which is no problem with ss pres, but can be an issue with tube pres that have high output impedance. You'll have to check the specs of any tube pres you consider. There will be some that will be fine, but not all will.

I'd say the overall sound of the 909 is smooth and quite warm anyway, so it might not need a tube preamp.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Kris
    Turn Table
     don't miss it at all
    Digital Source 1
     MF M1 dac + dvd
    Integrated Amp
     looking for
    Speakers
     kevlar/tioxid Focals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Another candidate is the used Roksan monoblocks combo of the M Series 1 type. What do you think?

At least on paper they seem to be happy with any difficult speaker loads. The M Series 1 integrated was very poor in the bass region with my low impedance good old kevlar Focal/tioxid tweeters speakers. This was an in the black purchase - I should've read the warning on the back that the amp works well with "Recommended 8 ohm speakes".Clear enough,some 90% of speakers on the market are 4ohms!

Wammer
    Real Name
     Kris
    Turn Table
     don't miss it at all
    Digital Source 1
     MF M1 dac + dvd
    Integrated Amp
     looking for
    Speakers
     kevlar/tioxid Focals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    On the impedance issue - 909 has 20kohms input which is not that low.For the start I'd partner it with a cheapo Musical Fidelity X pre on thre output impedance of which I can not get any info :-) I hope it's not more that 500-1kohm which wouldn't be that bad,I think.

The Roksans have some 38kohms!

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    909 is great, for the money it can be had nowadays it's a no brainer, can drive a wide range of speakers, midrange is to die for and despite what people say treble/bass performance is fine too. It's kind of a fit and forget thing. I'm sure it can be beaten for something over the 1000 RRP, but I can't think what I'd rather have solid state for the 520 I paid.

Real Name
     Ian
    Turn Table
     Bergmann
    T/Arm & Cart
     Magne, Airtight PC-1
    SUT/Phono
     In my Amp
    Digital Source 1
     Accuphase DP-60
    Integrated Amp
     Accuphase E-305
    Speakers
     SF Cremona M
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Where have you seen unfavourable reviews? I've certainly never seen any. Would also be interested to know who is selling them new at "about" 550-600. Seems odd that someone is selling at "about" any price rather than a fixed price. Can you provide details of who it is please, presumably it must be a dealer if the are offering a 2 year guarantee.
    Today, I be mostly eating curried bratwust sandwiches.

Wammer
    Real Name
     go on
    Turn Table
     go on
    T/Arm & Cart
     go on
    SUT/Phono
     go on
    Digital Source 1
     go on
    Digital Source 2
     go on
    DAC
     go on
    Integrated Amp
     go on
    Speakers
     go on
    Pre Amp
     go on
    Power Amp
     GO ON!!
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    That price does seem like the second-hand or ex-demo price to me. I sold mine for 500, to my housemate! Given the Elite-series replacement isn't out yet (to my knowledge) the 909 is still a current model.

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    You'll see them on ebay now and then for 600-700 new, usually the black model (which *cough* apparently has chinese caps or something).

Wammer
    Real Name
     go on
    Turn Table
     go on
    T/Arm & Cart
     go on
    SUT/Phono
     go on
    Digital Source 1
     go on
    Digital Source 2
     go on
    DAC
     go on
    Integrated Amp
     go on
    Speakers
     go on
    Pre Amp
     go on
    Power Amp
     GO ON!!
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    really?

DAC
     'Stu30' & 7 more
    Integrated Amp
     'Testure,Dana,Strat'
    Speakers
     'Meninblacks'
    Pre Amp
     'BB, Roy & Woxer'
    Power Amp
     Gold/Super Testures
    Headphones
     Sennheiser HD238
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    On the impedance issue - 909 has 20kohms input which is not that low.For the start I'd partner it with a cheapo Musical Fidelity X pre on thre output impedance of which I can not get any info :-) I hope it's not more that 500-1kohm which wouldn't be that bad,I think.
    MF has a penchant for specc'ing its pre-out impedances on the older components, like the Xs and A3s, in the range between 47-100+ ohms (variance across different frequency bands). It is unlikely to ever get as high as 200 ohms. I tried the preouts of my X-T100, X-A2 and X-A200R on the 909 with good results. That X Pre is from the same vintage as the latter two MFs, so it will likely be compatible with the 909's input.

The 909 is an excellent power amp and a steal for that price. Once you have heard/owned one you will never hanker for any current budget amps from Marantz, Yammy, Rotel, Cambridge because Quad's iconic current-dumping design simply produces the goods in midrange reproduction. You are going to hear a lot of fine details missed out by those pretenders. fwiw, before I bought mine, I heard Rotel's RA-1520, Cambridge's 840A V2, and Roksan Kandy K2 in 2010. The 909 easily betters this lot for midrange clarity and dynamic power. As for the oft-repeated comments on the internet that the 909's performance lags in the frequency extremes, they are always made in the context of comparison with much pricier amplifiers. Unless you own very wide bandwidth floorstanders, I can't see how a fling with the 909 at that delicious price can disappoint.

Try with confidence.

cheerSS

ps: vintage MF components favor some shininess on the treble so the X Pre will likely give a slight honey glaze to the 909's top notes. No worries about getting soft treble!
    Last edited by SSM; 23-10-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    CONRAD-JOHNSON HD3, ET3SE & CLASSIC SIXTY SE, ICON AUDIO LA4 MKIII > NAIM NAP 100
    PRIMARE DAC30 > AYRE K-5xeMP > GENESIS M60, audiolab M-DAC > GENESIS I60
    REGA RP1, DAC & ELICIT, ARCAM rDAC & FMJ A38, MF X-T100 & X-A2, SONY TA-F246E

TANNOY PRECISION 6.2, ELAC BS244, ATC SCM11, S3/5R, DM 2/6, XERO, Q 2020i

Wammer
    Real Name
     Kris
    Turn Table
     don't miss it at all
    Digital Source 1
     MF M1 dac + dvd
    Integrated Amp
     looking for
    Speakers
     kevlar/tioxid Focals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks,Gents. I hope it's still actual. The brackets 550-600 depending on rate of exchange and method of payment (paypal,credit card or cash).Delivery included ! Pity I've solld Manley Shrimp pre,on ther other hand it might be too much of a good thing together (mids),still the Shrimp as regards speed,very good at frequency extremes for a valve pre and emotion is not there to beat in the price range(or even higher-I did try Cay and CJ more expensive). I also owned LFD PA2M SE-new version which was a little disappoinment in the mids sector in comparison to the older version.So the 909 comes from heaven at that price - I'll try to call the dealer today at his mobile. "One after 909" ie Roksan M Series 1 monos, used at 600 quid is not a bad thing,is it? Please advise folks,thanks

Wammer
    Real Name
     Kris
    Turn Table
     don't miss it at all
    Digital Source 1
     MF M1 dac + dvd
    Integrated Amp
     looking for
    Speakers
     kevlar/tioxid Focals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    So I've bought it, 600 quid delivered :-), in black. The MF X-pre is for the beginning.What would you suggest as pre for,say,400-500 used ? (Quad's own QC 24 has very high output impedance and "sees" at least 50kohms load).

Real Name
     Shaun
    Turn Table
     Gyro SE
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME IV / Phoenix
    SUT/Phono
     Audio South / P10
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP2
    Digital Source 2
     Airport Express
    Integrated Amp
     EAR Yoshino 8L6
    Speakers
     Tannoy Turnberry HE
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    The obvious match would be the 99pre for around 4-500 but I haven't tried it, people don't like it's looks and say it underperforms also. Would still like to give it a go.

edit: but that's not valves - doh! ignore me

Digital Source 1
     British & Chinese
    Integrated Amp
     British & Taiwanese
    Speakers
     Danish
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Personally, I prefer keeping Quad as a system. I'd go for a 99 pre. I read one reviewer who thought that they were similar in quality but I haven't a/b'd them myself. Unfortunately, you have to pay a little more for the black components because there are fewer of them and they are more recent. When they introduced the black models, they were overwhelmingly more popular than the silver ones.

If you mix Quad with other components, you don't get the convenience or integration.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Will
    Digital Source 1
     Pearl Lite
    Digital Source 2
     SBT
    DAC
     Jolida FX Dac 2
    Integrated Amp
     Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers
     SA Aura 1
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I used to have a 909 too and think it is a fantastic amp for the money - the midrange is very special for a solid state amp at the price. A Quad CDP2 straight into a 909 is a great little set up if you only need digital.

Wammer
    Real Name
     Kris
    Turn Table
     don't miss it at all
    Digital Source 1
     MF M1 dac + dvd
    Integrated Amp
     looking for
    Speakers
     kevlar/tioxid Focals
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    A week ago or so I bought the MF M1 dac to partner with my Pioneer dvd/recorder 433. So I need "pure " preamp. Be it silver or black or champagne,I don't really care ( multicolor rack makes it look more like a pro installation,doesn't it?
    I'll take a look at Quad 99 pre though

ps pounds 100 used digital cable recommendations are welcome,Gents.Hopefully the one that outperforms my current pro-marker Apogee Wyde Eye with Eichmann's