Epiphany Acoustics Evolution Audio  Audio Emotion 

Thread: ASR Emitter 1+

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

As I don't do dealers, shows or hifi mags, I'm a bit reticent when posting my views on kit because I don't have a great deal of opportunity to compare items like for like. But, as the ASR doesn't appear to be well known on the forum, I thought I'd give it a go...........

Anyway, a couple of weeks after winning it on ebay.de for the princely sum of £950, it finally arrived today. At this point, it's worth mentioning that contrary to the comments on James' "amplifier" thread it wasn't a mistake buying this from Germany. Having it shipped within the Fatherland (as the seller wouldn't ship to the UK) and then on to me in Manchester has cost a grand total of approx. £50. Not bad for two boxes with a combined weight of 50+kg.

And soo, my regular grumpy Parcelforce guy turned up this morning at his normal delivery (just as I was getting in the shower) time, with two huge boxes. One that was reasonably easy to carry and one that came very close to causing a hernia or slipped disc.

On unpacking, the first thing you notice about the ASR is it's physical size. It's two boxes, a power supply and the main unit. Both have the footprint of a full size VRDS tranport. The ASR power supply is roughly the same size as my P30 but wieghs in at 31kg. The main unit is about 5cm heigher, but only wieghs approx 10kg. The second thing that strikes you is that they've obviously been aware of NVA, because both units are metal frame, but encased in acrylic.

The two units are connected by an umbilical cord, hard-wired into the main unit and connecting to the power supply by the bastard offspring of a scart-socket and a serial port, but about twice the size of either. This umbilical cord looks exactly like an Isotek mains lead (silver plaited sheath in transparent PVC), but about three times the diameter. Seriously, it makes all but the lardiest Shunyata look positively anorexic.

So, I carefully re-arrange my rack and connect them up, the power supply is the second box down, the main unit the one below it.......

Yeah, I did worry if the glass shelf would support the 30+kg power supply, but nothing has broken yet.

I replaced the standard IEC terminated mains cable to the power supply with a spare Coherent Conoisseur because it was easier then re-terminating the two-pin standard lead and because I didn't have any spare MK Tough plugs.

When you power on, you're greated by what can only be described as "the Illuminations". The power supply has two sets of six LEDS which light up green, blue, yellow, red, green, blue. If my reading of German was good enough to understand the manual, I might know what this signifies, but as it is, it's just pretty. The main unit goes thru' a boot sequence, lighting four coloured squares on it's front, three yellow, one green and then eventually displays a large number; the volume. This. I subsequrntly find, appears to be in 1dB increments. The rotary volume control itself is freaky, as it has no start and end. It just spins freely.

Having left it running for an hour or so, to settle down and warm up after it's traumatic ten days travelling, I thought I'd try to have a critical listening session. Note : the ASR website suggests that the unit only really comes on song once it's been running from it's power supply for three days!

I tried a whole series of tracks I know well :-

Pink Floyd, Elisabeth Valetti, Philip Glass, Black Sabbath, Faithless, Jeff Buckley, Rolling Stones and many more

But of all of the tracks I tried, the one that stood out the most was Uriah Heep's "Melinda" from "Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble", an album whose content and production values were critically slated when it was first released.

So, how does it sound? Particulary, in the context of replacing the BOW Walrus power amp I'd been using (driven directly by my DAC) for the last couple of years and the NAD S300 I'd picked up a couple of months ago.

(
    Oh, almost forgot, the system is :-

TEAC P30 -> Wadia 25 -> ASR Emitter -> WB Arcs (& a Sony ST-6B analogue tuner)

All analogue interconnects are Z-Squared Au/Au. The digital is an Acoustic Zen E=MC2. Speaker cable is Kimer 8TC. All mains cables are Z-Squared Au/Au Elite, other than the Conoisseur on the amp itself.

No fancy power conditioning 'cos the buzzing of the Trichord power block I have bugs the hell out of me. I'm using two Olson Sound Fantastic blocks, one for the digital components, one for the analogue.
    )

Anyway, back to the sound. How is it?

Quite simply, like no other solid state amp I've ever heard.

My criticism of the BOW was that it had a vice-like grip and belted out a tune, but it was remorseless with no soul. The NAD S300 integrated allowed me to run the Wadia on max gain and added a bit of warmth to the system, but didn't control my speakers anywhere near as well.

The ASR....

It drives the Arcs like nothing I've ever heard. Metaphorically, it feels as though it could pick the speakers up and throw them thru' the fecking window.

It's more dynamic that anything I've ever heard, switching been quiet and loud passages effortlessly; absolutley nothing I threw at it phased it. But, it demostrates a subtlety that no other amp I've owned has been capable of.

I've always thought that my system sounded artifical and had always put that down to the digital front-end. With the ASR in place, this is sooooo not the case. It's difficult to believe that I'm listening to the same transport/DAC I've been listening to for the last 2+ years. It now sounds so natural, so organic, so "analogue".

For something that is sounding so un-digital, I'd have expected to lose some of the hi-fi aspects, but that's not the case. The soundstage is as wide as it's ever been; it's now much easier to comprehend the concept of depth of soundtage, much easier to pick-out physical positioning of instruments and vocals in the mix.

The Arcs do seem to generate a decent amount of (mid)bass for small standmounts, but I've never heard them sounding like this. On double-bass and piano, it now has a "weight" which I didn't think was possible with such small speakers. Nova Nova's "Tones" (from Cafe del Mar vol 2) really is something to hear, you can really appreciate the feeling of it being played on a grand piano.

So, red wine induced written diahorrea over, how to summarise?

If you're not going down the valve / high effeciency speaker route, then you need to hear this amplifier. For the £950 + PP I paid, it's an incredible bargain; you've gotta bear in mind the BOW Walrus it's replacing had an RRP of £4k. Even if you go to Hifi-Guy and pay £4500 for a brand-spanking new Emitter 1 Exclusive, I'd say it was worth every penny.

Coming from a mainstream / What-HiFi background of manufacturers like Cyrus and MF, I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I genuinely think my speakers are out of their class, now the weakness in the system. I think I really really need to go out and spend £5+k on a pair of 2nd hand speakers that will do this amplifier justice.

Last but not least, a big thanks to coopee/coops for bigging this amp up on PF and making me think I ought to get off my arse and take a punt.

Happy as a pig in sh1t.

...Romeo is bleeding, but you can't see his blood.

Founding Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

very cool and only £950!? Bargin!

In the trade Wammer
    Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     Hanss T90
    Digital Source 1
     MSB
    Integrated Amp
     Digital do Main
    Speakers
     ADN Acoustics
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

I know the ASR amplifiers very well. The new ones are an improvement but you certainly got a bargin. If yours has a direct input then use that as its sonicly superior, also if yours has a spare umpilical cord then you can add the batery PSU for the line stage. Also never tun the machine off. they do sound awfull when cold (it evens says so in the manual) When kept on theres not much to touch it.

A natural choice of speakers are the Manger type speakers. If your looking for second hand then the audio physic medea.

By the way the Emitter II exclusive is nearly twice the size and has 3 PSU and weighs about 150KG. I'n know because Ive installed quite a few.
    Distributors of; MSB Technology and Bullysound.

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Cheers. It does have a direct input, so I'll have to give that a try.

The Emitter II is waaay out of my league in terms of cost £12k (?) and I'd have to buy a new house for a 4-box unit.

Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Cessaro David Wright
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Sticky that is fantastic, so pleasd it arrived safely and that you like it, Paul is absolutely right about the 'direkt' input, and about leaving it on, I sold much more expensive gear for the ASR it is a superb amp. Keith.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Real Name
     Farmer Rich
    Turn Table
     Various
    T/Arm & Cart
     IO LTD
    Digital Source 1
     Sony CDP-5000
    Digital Source 2
     Accuphase DP-700
    Speakers
     In storage
    Pre Amp
     Shindo RA-1857
    Power Amp
     Shindo
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Nice...isnt that at 1990 model? Should have reall broken in well.

The ASR models have always been well reviewed in Europe and i believe there have been numerous 'upgrades' but i'm not sure where!

There are actually quite a few on german ebay so if anyone wants a bargain like this one just check it out.

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

enjoy_the_music wrote:
    Nice...isnt that at 1990 model? Should have reall broken in well.

I hope that just reads badly and you're not being that pathetic.

In the trade Wammer
    Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     Hanss T90
    Digital Source 1
     MSB
    Integrated Amp
     Digital do Main
    Speakers
     ADN Acoustics
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

ASR amplifiers get better over time. A dealer should have it at least 6 months before they let it lose on the public. After about a year they sound like a different amp altogether like you've upgraded to another level. Not easy amp to better without spending a lot more. The more you use it the better it gets.

How are you finding the amp now you are using the "direkt" input and leaving it on?

Turn Table
     Avid
    T/Arm & Cart
     Tri-planar/ Io
    SUT/Phono
     ANS 3 / SJS Custom
    Digital Source 1
     Yamaha
    DAC
     DAX Decade Balanced
    Speakers
     Big & Obsolete
    Pre Amp
     Graaf
    Power Amp
     ARC D115
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

2005 model 2 with two power supplies for Euro 1000+ on german e bay seems a bargain.

If I was after a good amp (no I don't NEED another) I would be seriously tempted all in subtle black. Seems an alternative to Gryphon at much lower cost.

It may interest someone.

Alex are you reading this

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Mmmmmmmm. I strongly suspect that'll fetch more than the 1600 Euros it's currently at.

I need to get myself a listen to the most up to date I Exclusive. Let's face it, I'm never gonna buy the II unless my six numbers come up.

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

hifi addict wrote:
    ASR amplifiers get better over time. A dealer should have it at least 6 months before they let it lose on the public. After about a year they sound like a different amp altogether like you've upgraded to another level. Not easy amp to better without spending a lot more. The more you use it the better it gets.

How are you finding the amp now you are using the "direkt" input and leaving it on?
    The Direkt is a sonic improvement, but as I also use a tuner, it's not an option (unless I'm being obtuse).

I could plug the tuner - via ADC - into my DAC and then use Direkt. Decisions, decisions.

I leave it on all the time, except when away from home. TBH, I'm more than happy. I need to spend some time auditioning improved speakers and then I might talk to ASR about the benefits of the potential upgrades and whether or not to add the Akku.

In the trade Wammer
    Real Name
     Paul
    Turn Table
     Hanss T90
    Digital Source 1
     MSB
    Integrated Amp
     Digital do Main
    Speakers
     ADN Acoustics
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

I belive the Emiter has to be built to accespt the AKKU. I don't think it is a retrofit upgrade, unless you have the umbillical cord already to accept it.

Give Dave a Manger audio a call who will be able to help. He is the importer.

I personally would put your most used source into the direkt input.

Digital Source 1
     Cairn Fog V2
    Integrated Amp
     Cairn 4808A
    Speakers
     Dali Suite 2.8
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

seems to be a few there now...
    http://audio.search.ebay.de/asr_Audi...8QQsacatZ10614

tho my german isn't that good...
    this sig is intentionally blank...

Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Cessaro David Wright
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Looks like a 2002 Emitter II without batery input,Paul is the battery input stage an option?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
     Phil
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

hifi addict wrote:
    I belive the Emiter has to be built to accespt the AKKU. I don't think it is a retrofit upgrade, unless you have the umbillical cord already to accept it.

Give Dave a Manger audio a call who will be able to help. He is the importer.

I personally would put your most used source into the direkt input.
    You could be right. But, a German friend who'd read the upgrade section of the ASR website in the native language had suggested that all units, even ones like mine with a single umbilical cord could have the Akku retro-fitted. But, as the cost of that is 3000 Eur, I'd like to have an idea of the improvement and whether or not it would be worthwhile in the context of my system.

For me, as my unit was purchased 2nd hand from Germany, the easiest option is simply to email ASR with the serial number. They can then confirm exactly what is in the unit and what upgrades are available for it.

Turn Table
     Avid Ingenium
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V - Sumiko BPS 3
    SUT/Phono
     ProJect Phono Box RS
    Digital Source 1
     NUC PC - JRiver
    DAC
     Chord Qute EX
    Speakers
     Event Opal
    Pre Amp
     ProJect Pre Box RS
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

yoda900 wrote:
    2005 model 2 with two power supplies for Euro 1000+ on german e bay seems a bargain.

If I was after a good amp (no I don't NEED another) I would be seriously tempted all in subtle black. Seems an alternative to Gryphon at much lower cost.

It may interest someone.

Alex are you reading this

Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Cessaro David Wright
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

Shame you are a bit of a distance away you could come and listen to mine, bring the krell for a comparison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Turn Table
     Avid Ingenium
    T/Arm & Cart
     SME V - Sumiko BPS 3
    SUT/Phono
     ProJect Phono Box RS
    Digital Source 1
     NUC PC - JRiver
    DAC
     Chord Qute EX
    Speakers
     Event Opal
    Pre Amp
     ProJect Pre Box RS
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Post imported post

Where are you coopee?

Real Name
     Keith
    Turn Table
     GPA Monaco
    T/Arm & Cart
     Triplanar 12"
    SUT/Phono
     Dyna XV1-S XV1-T
    Digital Source 1
     Weiss MAN 301
    Digital Source 2
     MAN301 M2TechVaughan
    DAC
     Weiss Medus
    Integrated Amp
     David Wright Bakoon
    Speakers
     Cessaro ,Grimm T&F
    Pre Amp
     Cessaro David Wright
    Power Amp
     David Wright Bespoke
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes

Post imported post

North London,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]