Integrated Amp
     Marantz PM6005
    Speakers
     Q Acoustic 2020i
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

RCA Cable on Rega RP1

Hi,

As some of you may be aware the Rega RP1 has a built in RCA cable with is about 1m long. My problem is that i plan to buy an integrated amp which, due to my storage problem, is going to have to be about 2m away from the TT. Is there anyway of extending the this cable with a 3rd party RCA?

Also i plan to run another cable from the "tape out" of the amp to a headphone amp. Anyone recommend any cables that are going to be a match for the stock RP1 cable.

I hope thats clear?

Cheers,

Keith

Real Name
     Lindsay
    Turn Table
     Roksan Xerxes 20+
    T/Arm & Cart
     Artemiz/Dyn XX2
    SUT/Phono
     Naim Superline
    Digital Source 1
     Naim CDX2/XPS2
    Speakers
     Dyn Contour 1.8
    Pre Amp
     Naim 282/hi-cap
    Power Amp
     Naim 250-2
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    There are those who have their Rega arms re-wired and might be able to advise as to the sonic benefit but I would have thought that quality the standard offering from Rega is fine. If you simply need a longer length I would simply ask a Rega dealer if they could arrange it for you. For your headphone amp unless you are looking to really refine a higher end system a standard offering by Chord or QED would be fine, but the guys on here also recommend the Hitachi stuff which is widely available I understand.

Strat
    Nostalgia is not art (MIB 1 Jul 13)

Wammer
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    I can see that you have RP1, most likely with RB200 arm, perhaps not a very good candidate for an upgrade. I would probably leave the cables as they are and extend them with phono female to female atapters.
    You could always upgrade your kit once you outgrow your RP1.

I have my RB250 rewired and foam filled by audio origami. There are also a number of rega arm self-install rewiring kits available, google it.
    As far as the sonic improvement, well, that is a very personal experience. Some people hear it, some don't. I am very happy with my rewired rega arm.
    Last edited by df1603; 21-01-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Banned
    Real Name
     Andrew Davies
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    Extending tone arm cables with phono plug-socket extension leads might lead to hum pickup problems and sometimes high frequency loss. If your new amp does not have an actual phono stage built in you might try a separate stand alone phono stage(Project stages are excellent value)and place this next to your deck and run a 2m lead from this into an auxilliary socket. This will not cause any hum problem and might sound better.
    Last edited by browellm; 14-02-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Real Name
     Serge
    Turn Table
     EMT948, TRS9000, 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     AT33ML, TSD15, MC-15
    Digital Source 1
     SBT
    Digital Source 2
     Meridian 206
    DAC
     DEQ & CDQ
    Speakers
     Active B&W 801F
    Pre Amp
     Meridian 501
    Power Amp
     3 x Behringer A500
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBradyHiFi View Post
    Extending tone arm cables with phono plug-socket extension leads might lead to hum pickup problems and sometimes high frequency loss. If your new amp does not have an actual phono stage built in you might try a separate stand alone phono stage(Project stages are excellent value)and place this next to your deck and run a 2m lead from this into an auxilliary socket. This will not cause any hum problem and might sound better.
    Whilst the above is sensible advice, in practice, it's only another metre so is unlikely to be a problem. Use decent low capacitance cable (like RG6 or RG59) and the extra 60pF of capacitance won't have much effect, even with a MM cartridge, and none at all with a MC.

S.