Audio Emotion Purite North  Epiphany Acoustics 
    Real Name
     Tom
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Wanted: Single vintage speaker, in enclosure for planned mono rig, 50s era

I have the bones of a mono rig taking shape (to play not just mono LPs and 78s but the surprising number of historic releases on CD that I seem to have).

This will go in a separate room from my main rig.

Looking for a single speaker .. not sure what (and open to suggestions if the mods will allow).

Will need to go against the wall or in the corner so no room for a Quad ESL, but might be nice to check out an old Wharfedale corner unit or an old horn or even a Lowther enclosure.

Anyone (reasonably close to Reading area, or coming to Scalford) got a single speaker they've been waiting for a matcher for on ebay, or a functioning single with a dead partner too much hassle to put right?

This is a real low-budget exercise BTW so nothing too fancy or 'collectible' ...

Super Wammer
    Turn Table
     Verdier/T.Rock Ref.
    SUT/Phono
     Evans/Boardman
    Digital Source 1
     Burmester/Minimax
    Digital Source 2
     Minimac
    DAC
     Weiss202/JAKDAC32
    Integrated Amp
     Viva solista
    Speakers
     Loth-X/acapella/ESLs
    Pre Amp
     Bent/Boulder/Tron
    Power Amp
     Croft/Sanders/Leaks
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    As well as Wharfedale you might want to look out for a mono goodmans enclosure (ARU enclosure) - some come as corner units, some are conventional boxes - with either an axiom 301 (or similar Goodmans driver such as the more expensive triaxiom unit (there were several different versions over time) ) in it. Some came with a mid -horn and/or HF horn fitted as well with an attenuator on the back to adjust the balance between HF and LF. They are often to be seen on the auction site or foe example at http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/speakers.htm . They were sold originally as mono units in the days prior to stereo and they generally sound pretty good (poor man's tannoy). I have two ARU enclosures which I bought cheaply , one came with with an axiom 301 in it and another with a axiom 22 in it both with a trebax HF horn, and they sound very good for not much money although recently prices of goodmans drivers have been rising. The 301's were often used in rock band speakers all stacked up - Hendrix for example I think. Any goodmans driver with a big magnet (red alnico preferably) will sound good. Good luck

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Garrard 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     Alphason,AT 0C9
    SUT/Phono
     EAR 834P
    Digital Source 1
     MAC Mini
    DAC
     Trinnov ST2
    Speakers
     Voxativ Field Coils
    Pre Amp
     Bottlehead Quickie
    Power Amp
     SIT Monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No

Real Name
     Graeme
    Turn Table
     Rega Planar 2
    T/Arm & Cart
     RB300, 2M Black
    Digital Source 1
     Quad 99 CDP-2
    Digital Source 2
     Squeezebox Touch
    Speakers
     NS1000s, JR149s ...
    Power Amp
     Hmm where to start ?
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     Yes
    I've got a single Wharfedale Airedale cabinet for sale - no drivers, just the cabinet. It looks like this

except that the one I'm letting go has not been re-veneered. The original veneer on it is in quite reasonable condition though. It was built to house three drivers - 15" in the bottom, 8" and 3" in the top - but it can be modified to do other things (see here for example http://wardsweb.org/audio/diyjbl/diyjbl.html http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167). The construction quality is very good - all furniture-grade ply. It's seriously heavy but it does have in-built castors so it's easy to move. It is (obviously) a corner speaker by design and is perfect for a mono application. I was planning to take it down, along with some other stuff, to Audiojumble on Sunday and ask 25 for it but if you'd be interested then PM me as soon as you can and we'll see if we can sort something out. I'm not far from Berkshire.

Valvebloke

Real Name
     Tom
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Thanks guys ... really looking for something complete with drivers as I have zero woodwork or electronics skills beyond soldering the odd wire that's accidentally come off.

Real Name
     Tom
    In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Any more?

Wammer
    Turn Table
     Garrard 401
    T/Arm & Cart
     Alphason,AT 0C9
    SUT/Phono
     EAR 834P
    Digital Source 1
     MAC Mini
    DAC
     Trinnov ST2
    Speakers
     Voxativ Field Coils
    Pre Amp
     Bottlehead Quickie
    Power Amp
     SIT Monos
    Headphones

In the Hi-Fi industry?
     No
    Tom,if you buy the drivers I'll fit 'em and wire them up for you,might even get the grille done